Magnum, P.I.

This Island Isn't Big Enough...

Aired Unknown Feb 13, 1986 on CBS

• When Rick's boat returns from a cruise deserted, Magnum searches for the answers to what has happened to his friend and the passengers onboard, who now are all presumed dead.

3.5
    Really a poor episode!
    The story itself has many weak (and obscure) points, and the side character of Detective Katsumoto is embarassing, to say the least: maybe both for Clyde Kusatsu's acting and for the role he has to play, that is ridicolous.
    So ridicolous that the actor himself while poorly paroding the Duke, often seems ready to burst out laughing. And to think that the idea of the episode could have been good: Magnum, T.C and Higgins desperately looking for their missing friend, escaped from an attack on a boat, and on the run.
    Maybe the episode could have shown us, on one hand Rick's escape, and on the other one his friends' attempts at finding him.
    But that's not the case. We just see Rick vanishing in the water and then he disappears form the episode too till its very end (as if he could really be dead: but, come on, we KNOW he isn't dead,we easily understand it at least for the light tone of the episode, so the attempt at suspance miserably fails).

After a complicated and tangled investigation (that muddles us up, but probably Magnum too) our heroes manage to find Rick and the bad guys, save him and arrest the others, and here the ep ends without giving us other (necessary) information.
    For example, why have the bad guys killed everybody on the boat except for Rick? Why have they (presumably) saved him, since he, already hurt in the open sea, was going to drown? Why have they took him with them on the island? Whay do they decide to kill him only when Magnum and the others arrive on the island?

And, finally, another question: for heaven's sake, why should Rick always be the ridicolous character? Even in a semi-dramatic plot like this, he must be given silly lines.
    When I first saw how the ep was going to develope I thought "Wow, maybe this time Rick ain't gonna be the usual fool".
    Well, I was wrong: even when delirious there's no drama in his character.