Magnum, P.I.

Unfinished Business

Aired Unknown Jan 20, 1988 on CBS

• Magnum prepares for the trial of Quang Ki, who tried to kill both him and Michelle. But when the case is unexpectedly dismissed, Magnum receives a videotape showing terrible information about Michelle and daughter Lily and goes out for revenge. A great ep

This review contains spoilers.

Although most episodes of 'Magnum, p.i.', while maintaining a lot of continuity, are very much 'stand alone' stories, 'Unfinished Business' concludes a on-going plot, tying up the seventh season's finale 'Limbo' and the season eight opener 'Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts', although the threads of it go even further back, to the classic second season feature-length / two-parter 'Memories Are Forever'.

As I mentioned on my review for 'Limbo', when Five here in the U.K. ran the series each weekday morning in 2002-3, I had never seen this far down the show's run. I religiously both watched and videotaped each day's episode, but a couple of minutes into the key episode 'Limbo', the street was hit by a power cut and I missed it! As a result of that, I was unable to fully follow 'Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts' and unable to fully get my teeth into 'Unfinished Business'. It's not until watching the series on DVD that I am finally able to follow the story right though and get into it more.

Quang Ki's case suddenly being dropped comes as a surprise, but is nothing compared to the terrible moment when Magnum watches the videocassette sent to him and sees Michelle and Lily Catherine blown up in a car bomb.

This episode is a favourite with many fans, and I have to agree it is a very good one. Seeing Magnum breaking every rule and law imaginable to plan the killing of Quang Ki is excellent (although he must have been *really good* to walk onto a Military base undetected!), and the moment at the end where he can't bring himself to take a pot shot at Ki, realising the political implications it would have in the P.O.W. return programme, is a powerful one.

Many fans rank this amongst their all-time favourite episodes – indeed, at time of writing (October 2009), it ranks first place on the Top 10 most popular episodes on TV.com; personally, I really like it, although am not sure if it would quite scrape my personal Top 10; Top 20 possibly. (For the record, as I've mentioned in a number of previous reviews, my personal all-time favourite MPI episode is the classic fourth season opener 'Home From the Sea'). But even so, I really like 'Unfinished Business' – it is a strong contender as best episode of the eighth, final season, and showcases MPI at it's best.
ENCRC