Major Crimes Forums

Monday 9:00 PM on TNTBetween Seasons

Will it be Captain Sharon Raydor or Commander Sharon Raydor?

bmoshier

[1]Jul 17, 2012
    • level: 46

In "The Closer" Sharon Raydor stated she was going to leave the L.A.P.D and Pope asked her to stay and even offered her a promotion to Commander if she would stay and then pleaded with her to stay till she found the leak.

With the departure of Brenda and obviously staying of Raydor, will Pope honor his word and promote her to Commander?

Yeah, I know he said AFTER the hiring freeze is over .... I also know part of the series description deals with all the money issues.

SIGH, I wonder if a series can really make it with people when part of its foundation is the budget and/or money issues. Do people really want to come home after a hard day of looking for a job or being under payed to watch a series about money issues. My guess is people want fiction not stuff too close to home.

What do you think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bmoshier

[2]Aug 14, 2012

So after the first episode, it looks like the writers FORGOT about Captain Raydor's job offer and her promotion to Commander. Yes, I know the Chief said once the hiring freeze was over, but . . .

Plus is it normal at the L.A.P.D. for a division to go from having a 2 star Deputy Chief in charge of it to only a Captain?

Question: Even if the hiring freeze couldn't Pope promote Raydor given he lost a Deputy Chief? I'm asking as his salary budget is still going to be going down?

Well, of course, if Major Crimes is no longer as broad as it was under "The Closer." Remember Brenda was in charge of all major crimes and not just murder, but also kidnapping, rape, serious robberies, etc.

IMHO, this is a plot hole they should address -- either by promoting her or by explaining it.

reb124

[3]Aug 16, 2012
    • level: 2
    The hiring freeze didn't stop Taylor getting bumped from 1 star to 3.

NWBill

[4]Aug 20, 2012
    • level: 2

Civil servants, like police, firefighters, etc., often get promotions and more rank - but not the salary that normally goes with them, under certain circumstances .... like if a police department has budgetary problems. Raydor could have been assured by the fact that, once the hiring freeze gets lifted, she would receive back pay - retroactive to when she was promoted. The important thing is that she HAS to be the senior officer in that division; or no one would obey her, no matter how good she was. The main reason Brenda was hired in as a deputy chief (other than her stellar abilities) was because she ran a VERY prominent division that had LOTS of authority over different types of cases. That really hasn't changed much with Raydor taking over; the show would be boring, if all they caught were the same types of cases. But the Major Crimes team would lose a lot of prestige and authority if it's not being led by someone who has the rank of Commander, at least - which is the main reason the Commander hated Brenda, at first - she "took" the job he WANTED - and took it at a HIGHER RANK than he had .... a double whammy.

Raydor outranked everyone in "The Closer" except for the Commander, Brenda herself, and Chief Pope - but she WASN'T an official part of the division. Now that she is, she would retain her present rank, and shortly move up to Commander.

The civilian ways of doing things are a LOT more fluid like this than, say, the military - where structures are MUCH clearer and the framework is built differently. But military structure has lots of advantages, which is why many police departments, like the LAPD and NYPD, have adopted some military-type structures (like ranks, to a certain degree).

bmoshier

[5]Aug 21, 2012

reb124 wrote:
    The hiring freeze didn't stop Taylor getting bumped from 1 star to 3.

Yeah that is very true! Well, we haven't seen him in his uniform with three stars, but he has the title and thus I'd say he has the three stars.

So, yeah, why hasn't Pope come through on her promotion?

Anyone from the writing staff ever drop by and can help us understand?