Make It or Break It Forums

ABC Family (ended 2012)

Real Gymnasts?

alirk

[1]Aug 6, 2009
    • level: 22
    Are the girls on this show real gymnasts?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jj89pie

[2]Aug 9, 2009
    • level: 8
    no, their not. they have proffessional (sp?) US gymnasts to do their stunts
    Edited on 08/09/2009 3:34pm

katywishing100

[3]Aug 12, 2009
    • level: 15
    The girl who plays Kaylie was on Disney so not her. And I've seen all the other girls in movies beside Emily, so they all have stunt doubles.

bubblyfrog5

[4]Aug 12, 2009
    • level: 13

here's a cool video about the training the actual actors had to go through and how much of the gymnastics scenes is done by them and how much is done by their stunt doubles

http://community.abcfamily.go.com/watch/make-it-or-break-it/miobi-training-featurette

alirk

[5]Aug 14, 2009
    Wow...I guess they do really good editing then

TV_Fan101

[6]Aug 18, 2009
    • level: 2
    alirk wrote:
    Wow...I guess they do really good editing then

HaHa that's the same thing I thought when i saw the Vid too.

HeatherCarcavel

[7]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 1
    The girl who plays Payson has done ballet since she was a little girl so that should be real .

alirk

[9]Mar 29, 2011

GREEKFREEK wrote:

for starters i can NOT believe they act as well as they do gymnastics it is pathetic, Payson keeler walks talks and looks like a boy when she has her hair in a ponytail, she has way to much body fat to even pass as a football player let alone a gymnast, just watch the look on her face every time she has to show emotions you would think that ABC studios would have a HUGE child acting pool to chose from not to mention she plays a 16 yr old girl and she was born in 1990, she sounds like a boy to, the only one of the girls with A|NY acting chops is Lauren, she plays a really good bad girl, Emily needs serious help in the acting department you would think ABC would hire the girl actors some acting coaches, they are relying on the8 to 15 demographic to keep the show going, i downloaded season 1 and 10 episodes of season 2, i said if i liked the 1st season i would watch the 2nd, i was so disappointed, they have 21 yr olds playing prepubescent child gymnasts, c'mon this show is lucky to have 3 or 4 adult actors that have the only acting talent, i give props where i think it is deserved, and i have no flipping idea why Make it or break it made it out of the 1st season, sheeesh the doubles that do the gymnastic stunts get more air time then the actors do, and watch every stunt is landed with a behind shot or a moving the camera whenever there is a frontal shot, if it was not for the editors even the demographic that watch it would not be watching, overall it is a 3/10 for the child/adult gymnasts acting, the plots are probably a 6/10 ( that's being gracious) seriously watch the next episode or if you can download an episode or 2 anymore is just a waste of time, it just goes to show you how bad TV has got when they have to sell a program pimping/acting little firls in tights, what a shame...

I had done many reviews on many shows and are paid for most of them, and this show couldn't pay me enough to write a good review, this show is depressing... nuff said======> hangs his head in shame at ABC for not casting girls with acting abilities, we have 21+ year old actors playing 16 year old kids, and at 21 and being a so called child actor that plays |Payson |Keeler would see how pathetic she was and get a private/personal acting coach, shame on you ABC shame on you...

Wow, you put an awful lot of time into writing a post on a board for such a "pathetic" show. Grow up...

alirk

[11]Apr 7, 2011

GREEKFREEK wrote:
    what ardik, you telling me that Payson Keeler is a good actress? then why does she always have a stupid blank look on her face and in tonites episode she's talking about coaching the team, and her mother tells her that you are only 16, then she responds by saying quote... so they told me, lol she is like Ben Stillers char in Zoolander she only has one look the blank stare, look at her body, she is suppose to be playing a elite gymnast top rank in the world, you would think she would diet she is popping out of her outfit and notice she's the only one of the girls that wears shorts or pants? i am sayign if they are making her the lead she should at least look the part, b/c she can't act or do her own drills, why are they showing her from shoulder shots you never see her lower half, btw the coach in tonites episode is playing a 25 year old payson is what 22 years old? Lauren is 3 times the actor she is and well she is more believable by just looking at her, i am not the only one who see's this and wth they are being paid HUGE bank why cant she lose 15 lbs, they should of dropped the cow after her back injury, i know what i am saying is a little harsh but it's like a runway model for high fashion that's 20 lbs overweight, the gymnast doubles get more air time then the actors, are they even doing their own stunts yet? it is almost 36 episodes (2 years filming) does she need more time to get in shape? Kaylee looks the part, Emile is a skinny girl with no upper body and hips of cellulite, look at Payson when shes about to do box it shows her in slow motion she is in |NO |W|AY an athlete her hips thighs are really noticeable when she moves, her double is in shape, is it to much to ask her to stay fit for her career? and i never called the show pathetic, i called the acting pathetic, they guys in the show look the part they are all in shape and its semi believable when they run or even walk, Payson Keeler should be written out of the show she is always sulking or looking stupid, she cant even get up on the beams w/o cutting to the stun dbls, and as for me posting so much, i just think there is LOADS of pretty young girls in acting now that they could of found someone who looks and acts the part... i doubt anyone who has watched the show would disagree with me... compare other sport tv shows like Friday Night Lights, ...can you even compare|?

I've watched the show - In fact, I've watched every episode & I would disagree with you. I find your rants totally self-righteousness & mean. Until you're an actor on a show about gymnastics I don't think you have any room to criticize. Actually, even then I don't think you should criticize. It just makes you look cocky & mean...

beccaverity

[12]Apr 10, 2011

I entirely agree with your points ! Fair enough they may not be performing their own tumbling routines, however the show, and script writers have done a fantastic job ! Your comment about parson should have been wrote out after her back injury just infuriated me ... The episodes that have followed have moved me so much. I have trained in Ballet, Tap, Gymnastics and Modern Jazz since i was 3 years old, and held a place at the Royal Ballet School and Northern Contemporary school of ballet but when i turned 15 (last year) i suffered a serious dislocation to my left knee joint having to havesurgery to the ligaments which where torn in the process. By keeping Payson in the show it showed that with determination something is possible, and although neither i or parsons character could be the ballerina or gymnast they once were that people in my situation who all their lives have studied for one thing, and only ever had one career in mind can become successful even if it does include slightly changing the career route (parson been an artistic gymnast). Although i may not longer be able to become a traditional ballerina as pointe work is deff out of the equation for a few years until muscle tone is built up again, with dedication contemporary ballet and modern is a realistic path to follow !

MaySomeday

[14]Apr 13, 2011

GREEKFREEK, the fact that you're trying to make us believe that anyone would pay you to write a review, when you are obviously not able to construct a sentence correctly and have never been introduced to that little thing called "punctuation", is more laughable than anything on this show.

None of the actresses look like gymnasts, simply because they're not. They have grown normally, have hips, boobs and butts like normal women do. Are they believable as gymnasts ? No. I dare you to find a TV show or a movie where the actresses are.

Gymnasts are not stick-thin, they're all muscles, strong legs, strong shoulders. If you look at photos of Kim Zmeskal, Kerri Strug or Dominique Moceanu, you'll see they're closer to Payson and Lauren's body type (minus the hips & boobs) than Kaylie's.

Ayla Kell's acting is awkward because Payson IS awkward. She's been focused on one thing for most of her life and has no clue what else is going on in this world. Hence the blank stares.

21 year olds playing 16 year olds is normal and actually better than some others. Annalynne McCord (Naomi in 90210) - 23 Daren Kagasoff (Ricky in Secret Life) - 23 Megan Park (Grace in Secret Life) - 24 Jason Earles (Jackson in Hannah Montana) - 32

If you want to keep having a conversation can you at least put some space between your sentences? I'm not going to bother telling you to spellcheck or put a point or a comma here and there, that's obviously way too much to ask.

ETA : yes you ARE "hating on" Payson, you ranted about her for your entire message. You think that Ayla Kell is too old, but she won't be 21 until October, while Chelsea Hobbs is already 27 years old and that doesn't seem to bother you too much.

Edited on 04/13/2011 7:18am
    Edited 2 total times.

alirk

[15]Apr 13, 2011

MaySomeday wrote:

GREEKFREEK, the fact that you're trying to make us believe that anyone would pay you to write a review, when you are obviously not able to construct a sentence correctly and have never been introduced to that little thing called "punctuation", is more laughable than anything on this show.

None of the actresses look like gymnasts, simply because they're not. They have grown normally, have hips, boobs and butts like normal women do. Are they believable as gymnasts ? No. I dare you to find a TV show or a movie where the actresses are.

Gymnasts are not stick-thin, they're all muscles, strong legs, strong shoulders. If you look at photos of Kim Zmeskal, Kerri Strug or Dominique Moceanu, you'll see they're closer to Payson and Lauren's body type (minus the hips & boobs) than Kaylie's.

Ayla Kell's acting is awkward because Payson IS awkward. She's been focused on one thing for most of her life and has no clue what else is going on in this world. Hence the blank stares.

21 year olds playing 16 year olds is normal and actually better than some others. Annalynne McCord (Naomi in 90210) - 23 Daren Kagasoff (Ricky in Secret Life) - 23 Megan Park (Grace in Secret Life) - 24 Jason Earles (Jackson in Hannah Montana) - 32

If you want to keep having a conversation can you at least put some space between your sentences? I'm not going to bother telling you to spellcheck or put a point or a comma here and there, that's obviously way too much to ask.

ETA : yes you ARE "hating on" Payson, you ranted about her for your entire message. You think that Ayla Kell is too old, but she won't be 21 until October, while Chelsea Hobbs is already 27 years old and that doesn't seem to bother you too much.

Agree 100%. I watch the show b/c I enjoy it, not b/c the actors are "believeable" as gymnasts. Although, having said that, I've never really thought they weren't believable as gymnasts. I guess to each his own, but I really think someone *cough* GREEKFREEK *cough* is a little obsessed with Ayla Kell...I mean, really, she's not the only actor on the show...

MaySomeday

[16]Apr 13, 2011

alirk wrote:

I really think someone *cough* GREEKFREEK *cough* is a little obsessed with Ayla Kell...I mean, really, she's not the only actor on the show...

Obsessed, ya think ?? LOL None of the actresses are believable as gymnasts but that bothers me wayyy less than the fact that we're supposed to believe that a girl with no training whatsoever can suddenly become part of a National team.

alirk

[17]Apr 14, 2011

MaySomeday wrote:

alirk wrote:

I really think someone *cough* GREEKFREEK *cough* is a little obsessed with Ayla Kell...I mean, really, she's not the only actor on the show...

Obsessed, ya think ?? LOL None of the actresses are believable as gymnasts but that bothers me wayyy less than the fact that we're supposed to believe that a girl with no training whatsoever can suddenly become part of a National team.

It's a TV show...It's not supposed to be completely realistic...