Making Waves

ITV (ended 2004)

Making Waves Fan Reviews (3)

5.9
  • The lives and loves of the crew of a Royal Navy warship patrolling the waters around the UK.

I have to declare an interest as I wrote Ep 3 of this show. It went out in a graveyard slot while I was on holiday and was never repeated - in fact is was cancelled right after my episode aired (make of that what you will). The Royal Navy, who had given the producers a whole warship to film in, not to mention premises and personnel, were absolutely furious.

I had been brought in to rewrite an episode the producers weren\'t happy with - because everyone and his uncle had been given a go at re-writing it, from what I could see. That was the problem with the show - the producers hired excellent writers with an outstanding grasp of drama and technical detail, and then proceeded to try rewrite the show themselves, a job for which they were utterly unqualified. I was asked to have a go at rewriting Ep 6 too, but they hated what I did and I got the boot. That show still has no writing credit. They did invite me to the launch party though! To this day I have never seen the episode I wrote, or any episode for that matter, so I can\'t honestly review it at all..! O and one of the producers caught a virus on his computer and the email address I\'d given them was flooded with spam for months. Which says it all really.
  • When it is revealed that the writers of Making Waves are going to use the Muslim prophet Character in a joking matter, the nation decides to "Bury it's head in the sand" and maybe the terrorists won't attack.

6.9
    When it is revealed that the writers of Making Waves are going to use the Muslim prophet Character in a joking matter, the nation decides to "Bury it's head in the sand" and maybe the terrorists won't attack. he leaves on a quest to get the episode pulled with him in tow they leave. But when he learns that he wishes to get the series cancelled he tries to stop him. And fails to be continued next week.
  • The first three episodes of Making Waves, a drama about the Royal Navy, set aboard the fictional HMS Suffolk, were aired on ITV1 during the summer of 2004. I watched all three and was starting to get into it when ITV axed it with little explaination.

Making Waves, canceled after only three of the six episodes made had been shown, certainly deserved at least to have its full run. Alex Ferns and Emily Hamilton are excelent in their roles as Commander Martin Brook, the Suffolk's Commanding Officer and Lieutenant Commander Jenny Howard, the Ship's Executive Officer. Most of the supporting characters are also well performed. From what I have heard from people I know who are actually in the Royal Navy, Making Waves is very technically accurate. The best episode of the six is the fourth which was never aired, but appears on the DVD which was available from navynews.co.uk for a limited time.