Mama's Family

Family Feud

Aired Unknown Feb 19, 1983 on NBC

• Mama and the family appear on a gameshow.

This episode is hilarious as Mama and the gang try to win big bucks on the Family Feud. Often times when sitcoms branch off into another arena it flops miserably, but this was an exception to that rule. It felt both like a Mama's Family episode, AND a Family Feud episode. It really didn't seem out of character for either show, which made it all the more enjoyable.

The VanCourtland family is classic! You love to hate them and their "perfect" lives. They serve as the perfect opponents for the Harper family. Dysfunction vs. function. Who will win?

I also loved Richard Dawson and his reactions to both families. He is a natural for sure. He plays off of these characters just as he did when he hosted Family Feud. Definitely an episode that one can watch over and over and still enjoy the comic genius of the writers and actors.
  • The family goes on Family Feud and loses!

This is one of my favorite episodes! As I am a game show fan myself! This episode teaches me how to behave should I go on a game show myself! Vint hollers out an answer and the Van Courtlands take it whilst the Harper Family have a chance to steal and the rest of the family wants Mama to answer a Mechanical Tin Man while she says a letter! One of my favorite quotes from this episode:

Vint: Mama how could you say a letter?
    Mama: Well Your Aunt Penelope would write me every week she said... I have a thousand things to do so I have to wind up this letter now.