Mama's Family Forums

NBC (ended 1990)

Buzz and Sonya?

Mad_Buck

[1]Oct 31, 2005
    • level: 79
    Did they ever mention what happened to Buzz and Sonya, Vinton's children from his first marriage, when the show was brought back after its original run? I know Fran died but were Buzz and Sonya ever even mentioned?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

weezie_Y

[2]Oct 31, 2005
    • level: 19
    Buzz and Sonja were mentioned once from that episode, as Mama stated "No Buzz and Sonja." However, we really don't know what happened to them. It is assumed that they went off to college or went to Vegas to live with their mother.

TheDiamondDog

[3]Nov 1, 2005
    • level: 61
    I always figured they went with to their mother.

xtina_14

[4]Nov 3, 2005
    • level: 7
    i always wondered that too.. they just kind of killed them off or something.. their last eopisode that they were in is the one when mama figures out that carl has the wronge grave stone.. then they disappeared...

TheDiamondDog

[5]Nov 3, 2005
    Maybe their plane crashed.

crazy_legs_1205

[6]Nov 4, 2005
    • level: 8
    I never really cared what happened to them. Good riddance!

TheDiamondDog

[7]Nov 4, 2005
    Yeah, I'm glad they got rid of them and got Iola and Bubba. They are like a billion times better.

By the way, yesterday was Ken Berry's birthday. He turned 72. It had him described as actor/dancer. So he was a dancer. Explains why he danced on the show. He was older than Vicki. Now I wanna find out how old Dorothy Lyman is. But Ken was 56 when the show ended.

Okay, Dorothy bday is April 18, 1947. So when the show ended, she was 42. Boy, what an age gap between Ken and Dorothy. SHe was 35 and he was 49, but they were supposed to be old classmates.

Mad_Buck

[8]Nov 15, 2005
    • level: 79
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Yeah, I'm glad they got rid of them and got Iola and Bubba. They are like a billion times better.

By the way, yesterday was Ken Berry's birthday. He turned 72. It had him described as actor/dancer. So he was a dancer. Explains why he danced on the show. He was older than Vicki. Now I wanna find out how old Dorothy Lyman is. But Ken was 56 when the show ended.

Okay, Dorothy bday is April 18, 1947. So when the show ended, she was 42. Boy, what an age gap between Ken and Dorothy. SHe was 35 and he was 49, but they were supposed to be old classmates.

Ken Berry guest starred a few times on the Carol Burnett Show (though he never appeared in a Family sketch) and he danced several times. He danced on an episode of Dick Van Dyke too. Also, Bubba was a lot funnier than either Buzz or Sonya but I never could warm up to Iola. That character was the weak link of the show's second incarnation.

BRAH

[9]Dec 8, 2005
    • level: 4
    I always preferred the lineup of Mama, Vint, Naomi, Bubba & Iola over the lineup of Mama, Vint, Naomi, Fran, Buzz & Sonya also.

TheDiamondDog

[10]Dec 9, 2005
    I think everybody did.

sgtpepper1985

[11]Jan 4, 2006
    • level: 14
    Fran was okay, but I hated Ellen. I wanted the writers to kill her off. Buzz was kind of cute, but Sonya could have been killed off. Maybe if they kept Buzz and Bubba, I would have been satisfied because they were both hot. Now Buzz and Bubba are probably in their forites now.

TheDiamondDog

[12]Jan 5, 2006
    I liked Ellen, but Fran got annoying. She always treated Buzz and Sonya like kids, when they were old enough.

steph1024

[13]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 9
    i always assumed they went off to college & went on w/ their lives never to return.

TheVertMan

[14]Apr 8, 2006
    • level: 41
    The show was simply not as good with Buzz and Sonya, cause both are so bland and lifelesss, no spice to the character. Besides neither was in danger of winning an emmy award anytime soon. The only episodes of the NBC years that really stand out involve Eunice and Ed. The craziness of Iola and the addition of Bubba made the series much more watchable in the last four years.

ndshrp

[15]Aug 3, 2006
    • level: 2
    If my memory is right Buzz Sonya and Vint were all suppose to move away but Vint stayed back for some reason and the kids just left to be with their mom. Eunice should have been in more episodes dont you think?

dminter

[16]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 33
    I, too, feel the show got much better when it went into syndication. I remember seeing the show on NBC, I think, when it was new, but, didn't see all of the episodes during first run. Didn't like the show that much. When it went into syndication for season 3, I watched it again and it got much better. Then, caught up on the S1 and 2 episodes I'd not see the first time during syndicated reruns.

crazy_legs_1205

[17]Sep 6, 2006
    • level: 8
    I loved the syndicated seasons WAY more than the NBC seasons. Buzz and Sonja couldn't hold a candle to Bubba. Sonja's teen angst was funny, but it kind of got old, and Buzz was always just dull. Fran was okay, but I'm so glad that Rue McClanahan left the show to work on The Golden Girls--that turned out to be a great show, and Mama's Family got so much better without her. Eunice was the funniest NBC-only character, but she could get boring after a while, too. Same thing with Ellen. We didn't get to see Ed that much, which is a good thing--I didn't like him at all. And Iola was the most brilliant addition to the syndicated seasons. I'm so glad they added her hilarious character, and ended up with a much smaller cast for the last four seasons. I haven't met one fan who prefers the NBC seasons over the syndicated seasons, and I don't think I ever will. Funny thing, though--usually it's the older episodes of a show that I like best, and the later seasons I hate and don't watch (they "jump the shark"). Rurgrats and Wings are prime examples of this. Mama's Family was just the opposite--it got better with age. Season 1 was probably the dullest season, and Season 6 had some of the best episodes.

Gracie_Bug

[18]Oct 31, 2006
    • level: 6

Oh I just loved Eunice! Carol played such a great drunk! Remember when Vint and Naomi got married, how she got sloshed! I just remembered that.....rotfl.

I remember that episode when mamma got knocked out and Eunice and Naomi and Ellen were all telling their version of how it happened to Vint....Eunice was hilarious!

Gracie_Bug

onebadjacket

[19]Nov 29, 2006
    • level: 2

i don't really care about buzz and sonya.  bubba is a lot better.

funny...i usually prefer brunettes...

marysuperfly

[20]Dec 1, 2006
    • level: 6

I never really liked Buzz and Sonia.    There characters didn't really seem to add anything to the show, and when they were "left out" of the episodes I didn't miss them one iota. 

I do think they should have mentioned them every great once in a while.  Maybe during a Christmas episode or something they could have worked in a phone call. 

Eunice was hilarious!