Mama's Family Forums

NBC (ended 1990)

Buzz and Sonya?

cvdixon29

[21]Dec 16, 2006
    • level: 1
    I liked the newer episodes better as well, but i don't really remember it being explained as to why they weren't there I just assumed they went to their moms. I wonder why they haven't had a reunion show?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FrankDearborn

[22]Dec 26, 2006
    In the episode where the characters of Iola and Bubba were introduced, Mama just complained about Buzz and Sonya not showing up for Frannie's funeral--she said, "Now there's no Buzz and Sonya!" and they were never mentioned again. The actors were terrible and always had stupid lines anyway. The writers should have had Sonya and Buzz struck down and killed by the Rayhound bus that Bubba arrived in.

bilbarrett

[23]Jan 5, 2007
    • level: 2
    I must be part of the minority here. I loved the NBC run of Mama's Family. I watched the NBC episodes every week, it was like watching a 30 minute Carol Burnett Show sketch minus Tim Conway (who should have made guest spots), and was excited that the show came back in syndication. I was so disappointed when there was no more Rue McClanahan, Betty White, Carol Burnett or Harvey Korman. They were what made the show work.

Bubba was a decent replacement for Buzz and Sonya. Iola was a terrible character and really killed the show for me.

DrGreene422

[24]Jan 13, 2007
    • level: 12
    "They were what made the show work."

How can you even say that? If anything, they held it back.

Aunt Fran - Probably the dullest character of the entire series. Contributed practically nothing. She was just a boring old maid that couldn't stand the sight of other people having a good time.

Ellen - Boring. She's like the boring old lady that doesn't care that you've been looking foward to going to the toystore all week, and just cares about going shopping for towels and sheets. We get it. You're rich, you speak French, and you think you're better than everyone else in your family. Now quietly move along.

Eunice - A decent character, but I would hardly say she was what made the show work. I did enjoy her little rants, but let's face it: Mama's Family lasted 130 episodes, and she only appeared in 5, maybe 6 of them. And she wore the most god-awful outfits in creation.

Ed - He only appeared in 2, maybe 3 episodes. And each time it was the same. He says something stupid, and Eunice yells at him and smacks him.

Sonya - Very annoying and utterly useless. On the rare occassion that she ever actually took her headphones off, all she would do is whine and rant about nothing.

Buzz - An annoying little boyscout, but probably the only character in the original run of the series that could possibly have hacked it in the second run. Maybe as Bubba's partner in crime. Still, even for that to have worked, he would have had to be written a little less like a dork, and a little more like a rebel.

Still, Bubba and Iola may have had their share of flaws, but between the two of them, they helped carry the show better than the other 6 previously mentioned characters combined. In my opinion, the show didn't really begin until these two were added to the cast.

SwampFox34

[25]Mar 14, 2007

I think they went to live with there Mom, Oh well they needed some new people. Anyway Iola reminds me of my Aunt Linda so I am glad that they put her on, and Bubba was a Cutey. I remeber one Episode that just made me laugh Mama was trying to get into a fancey club I forget the name. Anyway Bubba I guess he was doing a school play in which he had to Dress as a Woman. They were in the backyard and he shows up on his scooter dress and all, and say's "I forgot my purse" which makes me bust out laughing everytime I see that episode.

Anyway Buzz and Sonya were great but they were getting Older.

SwampFox34

[26]Mar 25, 2007
    SwampFox34 wrote:

I remeber one Episode that just made me laugh

Why Did I say that all the Episodes make me Laugh!!!!

Karen197488

[27]Apr 13, 2007
    • level: 7

I never really cared for Buzz & Sonja. I liked Bubba more! What a cutie.............

HEDLEYJR

[28]Jan 22, 2008
    My father harvey korman who played ed.hated playing him because the writer always wrote him one way[boring.my father didn't find it interesting or challenging.He hated being attached by mamas and eunice and Ellen alot.The best thing about that show was being around ken berry and betty white and carol and my dad.They worked so well on the burnett show that it was so effortless on mf.my dad directed the nbc non syndicated ones at the suggestion and request of vicki and joe hamilton.I appeared on two episodes of mf.

mark40511

[29]Jan 30, 2012

Chalk me up for another than prefers the syndicated over the NBC episodes. I think IOLA was my favorite character along with Mama. She cracked me up when she would get angry! Remember when she recalled making chili for her daddy and her mama dumped it down the drain & washed the bowl.....and she got so upset she asked to be excused so she could go outside and get some fresh air & screamed to the top of her lungs! (LMAO).......Then later on she won the chili contest from Vint & said she was going to take somma that prize winnin chili home to her daddy, and she gritted her teeth and said, "And this time mamma you jussssT TRY & stop me"

Also when she won the lottery she said , "I'm gonna OWN this town!"

The only thing better about the NBC show's is I'm sure they had a bigger budget. There were quite a few location scenes.

I liked Bubba much better than Buzz and Sonja........BUT, I Iola was my favorite