Mama's Family Forums

NBC (ended 1990)

Mama's Family Fond Memories...

ScroogeMcNix

[1]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 6

Unfortunately TBS nor WB (now My Network TV) no logner airs Mama's Family but at least now it's on the i network every weekday night (except for Fridays) at 8!!!  I used to love watching Mama's Family in the mornings like 11:00 during the summer on TBS.  It came on after Little House on the Prairie I think.  I would rarely miss the 11:00 episodes! 

Though the fondest memories I have of the show was when it used to air after 10 at night for an hour on the WB!  That was a time when TBS and WB would air commercials for the show featuring scnes from "Grandma USA" and other episodes I can't remember.  I remember that they sent a Mama's Family flyer in the mail for a contest on WB.  I wish I still had it!

When it came on at night on the WB after mom and I got home from the pool she would fix me a Butterfinger milkshake and cream cheese on crackers for a snack as I watched the show!  It became a much anticipated ritual throughout the summer!  That was abck in my high school years LOL.  That was also when I did the crazy what mom called "Mama's Family Shuffle" dance to the tune of the theme song!

This show is one of many television treasures of my youth that ranks up there with Full House, Family Matters, DuckTales, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, Aladdin, and Gargoyles!!!  I also rememebr loving the theme song when I was a little kid and spinning my milk cartona t lunch in third grade to imitate the flipping of the picture frames LOL!

I am EASILy the biggest Mama's Family fan in my area!  The show is such a treat to watch!  It reminds me of the small town I live in where not much happens.  Raytown though is brimming with life with its many colorful locations and residents!  Mama's Family is a treasure that any teenager or adult should give a shot!  It's still a bit too vulgar for real "young'uns"!!!

We live in a time where few quality sitcoms are produced!  "Friends" (thought of "Friends" makes me sick anyway), "Frasier", "Will and Grace" and most others out there in the last decade can't compete with "Mama's Family"!  Those are just boring office related, pretty boy, preppy sitcoms that can't even touch the quality and fun of Mama's Family!  Unfortuantely though one sitcom suffered the same fate as "Mama's family" in the fact that both ended too soon!  That everybody is "The Bernie Mac Show"!  This was the last fun sitcom to be produced a few years after the unfortune end of "Family Matters"!!!

So try as they might few sitcoms will ever match the fun, excitement, and imagiantion of "Mama's Family"!  ONE OF THE BEST SITCOMS OF ALL TIME!!!!!     

(Excuse the typos it's late and I need to get to bed!)

Edited on 08/31/2006 11:08pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ScroogeMcNix

[2]Sep 4, 2006
    It's been days since I posted this. Part of posting isn't just to read but to reply. Too much of the forum is games. I've played them but I like to post under regular topics too. Can we pin this topic? C'mon guys and gals let's see your fond memories of the show!!! Anybody rememebr anything that I mentioned above???

crazy_legs_1205

[3]Sep 5, 2006
    • level: 8
    I never saw Mama's Family on The WB. The first I ever saw it was on TBS. My mom watched it, and I watched it with her and was instantly hooked on Mama's hilarious comedy! They started showing it on TBS in 1997, so I was probably in third or fourth grade when I first saw it. My fondest memory is of when it was on TBS at 4:00 in the afternoon, so I got to see Mama as soon as I came home from school. It went through a few schedule changes on TBS. At one point, they moved it to 11 in the morning, so Mama's Family turned into a rare treat that I only got to see on days off from school. Then they briefly moved it back to the 4 pm timeslot, then (I think) back to 11, and eventually to the 6 am slot, where it met its end on TBS. In fact, I think that that may have been why they took it off--6 am isn't a time when many people like to tune into their favorite shows, so they probably lost many viewers, and Mama's Family was the unfair victim of bad ratings. That's just my thought, though. I'm going by experience, because I very rarely managed to get up at 6 am to watch it, unfortunately. When I did, it was usually because I had stayed up all night finishing something for school. Oh, well. Now it's on i Network, in the much more respectable 8 pm timeslot--where I hope it will stay for a long, long time!

I agree with all that you said about the show. As I said in the review I wrote last year, MF is in a class of it's own. Nothing today can compare to it. And you're right, kids and teenagers definitely need to give Mama a chance. In fifth grade, we were doing an activity where we had to tell our favorite show that we watched with our families. While other people said dreadful stuff like The X-Files and 7th Heaven, I named a classic: Mama's Family! Everyone laughed at me for it, but I didn't care, because I knew what I was talking about. Mama's Family is a classic, and will always live in my heart as one of my favorite sitcoms of all time.

Btw, the reason that nobody replied to your post (until now) is probably because all the users who regularly posted here have left. We're all now at a new forum board (made by me) as a special place reserved for Mama's Family fans to discuss this gem of a show! We'd love to have you there, especially since you're such a big fan! If you'd like to join our Mama-lovers community, simply click on the link below.

Harper House
    Edited on 09/05/2006 9:16pm

TheDiamondDog

[4]Sep 13, 2006
    • level: 61
    I saw MF on WB.  I was like 8 when I first did.  That was 10 years ago.

GOGI2005

[5]Sep 14, 2006
    • level: 1
    I remember watching Mama's family when I was two year old, I think it was on CBS back then. My grandma got me hook on it, that was back in 1989-1990 I rememeber watching the last few episodes. Then as I got older watching the reruns  they only showed the ones with bubba and Iola. Later on when mama went to TBS that's when  I saw that older episodes the ones with Fran,Sonja,Buzz.

sgtpepper1985

[6]Sep 19, 2006
    • level: 14
    I saw Mama's family for the first time on TBS when I was a kid, back when they were showing it at 8 p.m. at night. I think I was in Kindergarten at the time and I remember watching that all the time rather than Bugs Bunny or cartoons.

The first episode I remember seeing was when Naomi and Vint got married  and Eunice got drunk at their wedding and sang off key!

I also remember seeing Mama's musical medely in the kitchen and then she took it outside to the porch.

CLH1024

[7]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 3
    I work stock crew at a local grocery store.  I normally get off around 3am.  I used to stay up until 7am to watch the two episodes of Mama's Family at 6 and 6:30 on TBS.  Its now been a few months since they've taken it off.  I'm getting alot more sleep.  But, I would give it up to see more Mama's Family.  I'm just glad they brought out the first season on DVD.  I just hope Warner Brothers brings out all six seasons.

Drakken_Shego

[8]Nov 24, 2006
    • level: 15
    I first saw this show when I was around 4-5 years old(I'm now in my early 20s) with my mom and brother and laughing so much over Bubba! When we started watching it Bubba was already with the family. And it was only recently I got to see the first season eps with the 2 other kids. It wasn't as great. It needed Bubba! 

marysuperfly

[9]Nov 26, 2006

I watched it when I was younger, but I started watching it again around 6 A.M. when I get ready for work.  Unfortunately, they took it off, which truly bumms me out.  I try to catch it on i when I can remember it is on, but it is hard, because I never watch that channel.

I really didn't like Buzz and Sonia.  I guess it was because I saw those later and it wasn't the same.  Did they ever mention those kids again?  It was like throughout the rest of the show they just dropped off the face of the earth!

JediSnoopy

[10]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 13

I watched at at the age of 12 on NBC in first-run episodes. I remember Harvey Korman's bookends that were so hilarious the first couple of seasons. I loved Eunice and, unlike many "Mama's Family" fans, I prefer the NBC episodes.

ScroogeMcNix

[11]Aug 17, 2007
    I've never seen the original versions with Alistair Quince. I wish I could find them on Youtube so I can view them for myself. Ty