Mama's Family

NBC (ended 1990)

boechsner

Mama's Family Fan Reviews (43)

• Aunt Fran was my favorite character

Aunt Fran was my favorite character on Mama's Family. I thought it was wrong to have her die, especially chocking on a toothpick, how unrealistic is that. Plus they take away, not just Fran, but Buzz, Sonja, Ellen (though she makes one last appearance), Ed and Eunice. I wish that the writers could have written the episode where Fran moves away with her male friend, whom she spoke of in an earlier show. I truly believe that would have been a lot better than simply having her die because she was chocking on a toothpick. I did not like the fact that the show continued without Fran.
  • Though this show was on before my time, I still look forward to catching the reruns whenever I can. It's a little over the top, and a bit retro, but it's fun without too much thought.

7.7
    Though this show was on before my time, I still look forward to catching the reruns whenever I can. I love the look and feel of this hilarious small town life of Mama's Family. I love Thelma in particular. I really sympathize with her. If I had a famiy like that I would run for the hills. Vint is the biggest idiot on Raytown and Naomi is a wonderful tacky cashier. Iola is too cute with her crafts and crazy recipes. While the show is a little bit over the top sometimes, I chalk that up to its being a little retro. Overall it is just fun to watch and doesn't require too much thought to enjoy.
  • Mama's Family is

Mama's Family is a favorite of mine. I started watching it when they showed reruns in the morning before school a few years ago. Since then I think I have successfully seen every episode there is. I really like this show. Mama is hilariously funny and the whole family is great together. That is one wacky family! They get themselves into all sorts of weird situations and trouble. Godd show, it is definately a must-see. At least, I believe it is.
  • I want to be like Mama when I grow up. She makes me laugh. I love the way she takes care of her family and complains the hole time. I can relate. She shows that even strong women need thier family. Eveyone needs a family even when they drive you nuts.

The best part of the show for me is the fact that I can watch it with my kids and we all enjoy it. I like the interaction bewteen the family, it reminds of my own. My fave It when Mama is left at home for the weekend alone and finds out that the family drives her crazy but she misses them. The strom and the fact she yells at God cracks me up. I have known a lot of women like her. I think everyone should have a family like Mamas and if everyone had a Mama like her the world would be a better place
  • One of the best classic tv shows of our time.

This show was one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. I was probably only born when it first aired but I still watch the re-runs and love every minute of it. I cannot wait until it comes out on DVD. The comedy in this show was the best of the best and I can only hope that there will be more of these great comedies to come in the near future.
  • The closest to a real family on television

I adore this show. I think its timeless. we need a show like this right now. A reunion would be AWESOME! I have always been so curious as to what the rest of the cast is up to now and more importantly, what would the characters be up to now?
    Wonder if there are plans to have other seasons on DVD and what about EXTRAS! I myself never purchased the 1st season DVD because i was told there were no extras on the dvd. I still tape the show almost every week nite, I love the episodes with Iola and Bubba.
  • Mamma tries to keep heself sane while dealing with her crazy family and friends.

Mamma's Family will always be one of my favorite shows. It is timeless comedy that isn't too crude and isn't too childish. I can't see myself ever not enjoying the reruns.

When I was younger, I thought Vicki Lawrence was really a little old lady. Boy was I surprised when I saw her at an award's ceremony. Now when I watch, it is painfully obvious that she is in a get-up, but it doesn't take away from the reality of the show. I love it!

The additional characters are also wonderful. Iola is a lady that you love and hate at the same time. She is quite annoying, but such a good friend. You have to love her 1,000 ideas for cozies. Vint and Naomi are also easy to love and hate. Together, the cast truly makes the show a classic that will never go out of style.
  • Delightful cranky Mother

One of many personal favorites that I love to watch on a day off. I kinda wish We could have seen them raise baby Tiffany Thelma.Although it's a great show. I wish that it would be released on DVD like so many of my favorite shows LIKE so many of my favorite yet newer shows.
  • I loved this show even though I was like 7 or 8 when it first aired.

I just liked the comedy and the people, it just really amused me. I was obviously too young for the Carol Burnett show, but later on I saw repeats, and saw how these came about and were they came from. The house reminded me of my grandma's house, even though she was nothing like the character of Thelma Harper. I guess it was that familiarity that made it good. They were kind of rednecks but that's also what made it funny. It's obvious Mamma stole the show, but the other characters were just as good. I wish they would show this show in re-runs again because it always is good for a laugh.
  • Mama Family Help!

My wife and I love this show so much! Mostly we watch her old videos but would love to know if anyone knows of a GOOD site that sells all the seasons? Im pretty sure there was a box set made but am having a very hard time finding it anywhere other than sites that are shady. We have season one on DVD but would appreciate any help finding the others - thanks in advance and glad so many others enjoy Mama's Family : )
  • One of the best shows on TV in the 80s/early 90s. Love love love the show!

I absolutely love Mama's Family. It was way underappreciated at the time. I wish the show had lasted longer and the cast of seasons 2 and on would of been the cast since the beginning. I rated the show a 9.5 only because I thought that it was the weakest of all the seasons of the show and the cast just didn't have the magic that the rest of the seasons did. I am so upset that only season 1 has been released. I hope the rest of this brillant series will be released in the near future. Miss this show.... I just can't say enough about it but so hard to put into words.
  • Thelma Harper faces the trials and tribulations of small town life everyday, along with her best friend Iola, son Vint and wife Naomi, and wacky grandson Bubba.

What an amazing show! I'd like to give the person who came up with this show a big pat on the back, because it's absolutely superb.

Vicki Lawrence plays the kicky Thelma Harper, who, might I add, is freakin' hilarious. Vint and his wife Naomi like to pretend they're classy, but end up acting even stupider in the process. They add nice comedy to the show.

Bubba's dumb as a doorknob; does that boy know ANYTHING? But, anyway, the stunts he pulls always lead up to some kind of hilarious climax.

I recommend this show for fans of those classic TV shows that consistently keep you rolling on the floor, laughing your butt off.
  • Hilarious!

No matter how bad of a mood you are in, if you watch an episode of Mama's Family you will laugh and feel better. This may not be the best-written show ever, but it is what it is and what it is is funny! You can't ask for more than that from a sitcom and Mama's Family is funny.
  • I think I live in Raytown.

This is one of the best comedy series of all time. I am convinced many times that this show is based on my grandmother. Thelma "Mama" Harper is one of my favorite characters ever to grace the television screen. I love all the shows, the one's from the network and the syndicated one as well. This show reminds me a lot of the Southern town that I was born, raised, and still live in. Frankly, if these characters were real I would expect them to live here and be related to me. They may be dysfunctional, but what family isn't nowadays?
  • This show is about Thelma Harper aka Mama and the experiences she goes through with her crazy family!

This show is sooooo funny!! I absolutely love Thelma and her take no crap personality!! I especially love Vint because he is so loveable and like the way he says, "Mama." Whenever I'm up early I make sure to watch this show on TBS because it always brings a smile to my face in the morning!
  • Wonderful and delightful! Mama is sure to make you laugh for the entire episode and after! No doubt that this "blue-haired old dragon" is one big laugh machine!

"Mama's Family" is sure to have you rolling on the floor for each and every minute you tune in to this great sitcom! Mama is saucy, spicy, and fun. She is not afraid to voice her opinion, and often does so to her son Vinton, her daughter-in-law Naomi, and grandson Bubba. Mama is also prone to give advice to her quiet, shy, and reserved neighbor Iola Boylen.
  • I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!

Me and my brother would watch this show whenever it was on back in the 80s-early 90s as kids. We loved this show so much especially BUBBA! We thought he was the funniest thing we ever saw! And recently they have re-aired the show and last night they played 2 eps. with Bubba and he still is the funniest thing I have ever seen! I loved it when he was on the phone and he was bobbing his head all dorky and happy cause some guys on the other line were singing "I Can't Get No Satisfacion" to him cause he couldn't get a date for a dance. He's so air-headed but definitly not in an annoying way! I LOVE that guy! I really hope they get this show out on DVD if they haven't already! I really want it for my DVD collection! This show has so many snappy comebacks and great one-liners mostly from "Mama" herself. I HIGHLY recommend this show, it's definitly one of the best shows ever!
  • This show was ahead of its time. Except for a few refrences here and there, I understand every joke.

Thisshow was so cool. NBC had it to begin with and then CBS picked it up and not only revived it, but perfected it. This show was and still is one of my all-time favorite shows. TV shows like this do not come up anywhere anymore. This show was about a widowed old lady and her crazy family. Her son, daughter-inlaw, Grandson & even crazier neighbor. This was a suburban family of the 1980's in a fictional town called: "Raytown". This was in the heart of America, yet the state never was mentioned (not to my knowledge, anyway; Texas would be my guess). VERY good show.
  • my best lifetime freind betty boop is mama personified. so i laugh out loud all the time its the best my favorite is the zirconia one i always said id never shop at home ontv and the first time i saw it i ordered so i identify

mamas family was the best show on tv and i still can laugh til im sick almost twenty years later.shes so like my friend \'tough and acting as if she \'mama\'could care less for her family and the tiger claws coming out when the\'re in any danger. i love \'her daughter\'carl burnett shes justthe greatest self pity whiner how did mama ever have her they cant be related.its corny down home family entertainment and as i said previously i laugh out loud at some of the lines. iola is the best .i wish there were shows like this on tv today.
  • Mama's Family <3

I Absolutely Love This Show Wish I Could Watch All Seasons. . Best Show Ever. . . They Don't Make Em Like This Anymore. .
  • Little Tiffany!

Ok... WHO AGREES THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE HAD MORE EPISODES WITH TIFFANY THELMA HARPER!!!!! It made me angry because they ended the show like that. I would love to see more Tiffany!
  • mamas family

Lllllllllllllllooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeee the show wish they would put back on the air
  • Really Love this show

Wish more tv shows today were like this one.
  • Mama\'s family has always been a personal favorite of mine. Ever since i was two years old, \"Even to this day Mama\'s family still makes me laugh!!

Mama\\\'s family has always been a personal favorite of mine. Ever since i was two years old, \\\"Even to this day Mama\\\'s family still makes me laugh!!I also Enjoy that the i network is showing reruns of Mama\\\'s family.I think it\\\'s great! that a whole new generation can view Mama\\\'s family the way I did When I was little. Now that I\\\'m 19 and watching the show now a days.The jokes make more sense then they did years ago, it keeps getting funnier as I view the episodes all over again.My grandmother was the cause of this love affair with Mama\\\'s family.And I thank her for getting me hooked on such a wonderful show.
  • No crime drama or sex scandal--just laugh-out-loud fun!

Who wouldn't love a gray-haired matriarch sweet as pie, tough as nails, and funny as a rubber chicken? That, in a nutshell, is Thelma Harper, the titular character of Mama's Family, which is one of my favorite sitcoms of all time.

I would have to say that MF is in a class of its own. What made it so unique? Probably the fact that it was made with only one goal in mind: comedy. And comedy it was! The producers, writers, and directors didn't care about family concerns, social issues, or even being "true to life". They just cared about making us laugh. And they certainly succeeded: the sharp, opinionated, sardonic Thelma and her dim-witted family and neighbors were excellent foils for each other. The family's activities in and around the home and Thelma's forceful, one-sided opinions of them provided many good laughs. The most memorable part of the series was undoubtedly Thelma's many clever quips and one-liners. You really have to see it to appreciate it.

The show had two runs, one on NBC and one in syndication. The syndicated episodes, in my opinion, were much more enjoyable than the network ones. Thelma showed more of her always-funny sarcasm in the syndicated episodes, and Vint and Naomi became more active characters. Bubba, Thelma's college-age grandson, replaced Buzz and Sonja, the high-school-age grandchildren from the NBC episodes, thus removing the unneeded "teen angst" portion of the show. Iola, Thelma's naive friend and next-door neighbor, proved funnier than Thelma's rebellious daughters Ellen and Eunice and her high-strung sister Fran. But the show was still hilarious throughout all of its run. We love you Mama!!!
  • One of the best!

This show (based on sketches from "The Carol Burnett Show") was one of the funniest sitcoms ever! Even when Carol Burnett's and Harvey Korman's characters were written out of the series, it still continued to be funny. Although the show had a little bit of trouble with the development of the characters at the beginning, it managed to pull itself together toward the end of the NBC years. When it went into first-run syndication, it turned to be even better, despite the fact that it had less characters then than when it did at the struggling beginning. One thing that made it different from most sitcoms is that not every episode had a happy ending, but one knew that things would manage to continue on. Mama was absolutely hilarious when she shot off her venomous mouth, and the various catchphrases ("Good Lord!" "Well, I'll bet the neighbors are just lovin' this!" "Thanks a lot, Mama!" "Knock, knock!") will live on forever. If you've never seen this show before, please start watching it!
  • I really can't hate this show, it was the 80's version of the Beverly Hillbillies and for once, that's a good thing.

I wasn't that old when Mama's Family premiered in '83, I was actually 2, but what I do remember is that Thelma and her fam were all hilarious. No, there's nothing particularly brillant about this show- except that all of the actors gave consistent, even performances. There was nothing forced about their Southerness or lack of sophistication. Their humor was effortless and always true to the roots, that of Vicki Lawrence, a vet of sketch comedy by way of the Carol Burnette Show. Her beer swilling

and lack of fashion sense never disappointed. Even funnier

still was her lack of patience with the rest of nitwit family, especially daughter-in-law Naomi.
  • My early morning coffee date with the Harpers

This is one of my all time favorite shows! While the rest of my family is fast asleep, my dad and I have made it a ritual to watch this show together every morning. I wake up every morning just before 6am...I gotta hear the theme song! We TiVo it if we absolutley can't watch it...but its not the same! For the most part nothing interferes with our early morning coffee date with Thelma Harper and the family!
  • To be honest the syndicated version of the show was much better too bad they couldn't have had that cast first.

This is my all time # 1 show ever. Maybe not the first run version, but lets just say I love WTBS. I can't remember the last time TBS took it off the re-run circuit. Vicki lawrence is so funny as Mama Harper that I would have loved to have a mama like that. This show is so corny I love it, the jokes about Pia Zadora are still funny today. I loved the addition of Iola also, she was so strange at first actually coo-coing over Vint in the first few seasons, and then it was like she was a unich. This show makes me laugh even though I have seen every episode probably more than 10 times each. And my year was totally brightened 1000% when I heard they were releasing MAMS FAMILY on DVD..... I called everyone I knew, and I pray they have outakes. I recently saw Mama and her One woman show and in the middle of the show( Vicki's change into Mama) they showed some outakes, and I never laughed to hard in my life. If you haven't seen Vicki in her "One Woman Show", it is worth the trip.
  • I am up every morning to watch this at 6:30 am!! Mind you I don't go to bed till 3:00 am!!

I work a late shift and then after Mama's Family goes off I go back to sleep. I love this silly show and would like to see it come out on DVD. There is this website that you can cast your vote(tvshowsondvd.com) for your favorite shows, they have ALL of them listed from forever ago! Anyway cast your vote for Mama's Family along with all of your other favorites and let's see what happens, maybe the guys in charge will "get it" and put them all on DVD.
< 1 2