Man vs. Wild Forums

Discovery Channel (ended 2011)

Bear Grylls is a fake.

Chas3265

[1]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 3

I used to like this show too. It sucks to know that Bear Grylles is a phony.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Temporaryscars

[2]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 4
    I already posted that.

Chas3265

[3]Aug 20, 2007
    Damn you beat me by 3 hours.

Ghost2499

[4]Aug 24, 2007
    how is he a phony???

Chas3265

[5]Aug 25, 2007
    He's not really stranded. There are cars and a road about 100 yards away from him.

SolidRave

[6]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 11
    Yeah, I don't really care. I watch the show for entertainment and thats what it is regardless.

digharris

[7]Aug 28, 2007
    So is the show now cancelled?

Tommorichards

[8]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 5

I agree with the guy who posted the video on youtube. It is easy to dupe discovery. That close to a highway and not seeing it. Unlikely unless he has selective vision. Ha. he cant see roads or civilisation or anything.

Said that. I wonder if the same thing happens on survivorman. I wonder if discovery will be reviewing that too?

Said that. I still like the show. after all, he does eat that stuff. and it does have entertainment value. I hope they do run a third season

Edited on 08/29/2007 4:52am

ee24

[9]Sep 2, 2007
    • level: 1

Bear Grylls is still definitely more entertaining than Survivorman. For god's sake he bit off the head of a snake for breakfast! He does things a young Les Stroud could never do!

New episodes Sept 24th:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=1.14709.25268.32074.10

psychojakrabbit

[10]Sep 3, 2007
    Who cares, just enjoy the show for what it is, entertainment. Some people just have nothing better to do I guess.

idefix7

[11]Sep 3, 2007
    Did people really think this guy is the real deal?
    Just looking at this thread it seems to me like most people aren't actually surprised. I mean come on, everyone with half a brain can tell there's something fishy.
    The obvious fact is, and everyone without any military training/knowledge should be able to see that, that it's impossible to do what he does in this show being a 100% sure to get out of it unharmed without any decent equipment or help. This fact alone would lead to episodes and money getting lost a risk the producer probably won't take. So if something happens just pull him out and restart a few weeks later no one will be able to tell.

Even though I'm no fan of the show I enjoy it when I have to watch it. If the guy was in the SAS he really is able to do the stuff you see on the show... well he obviously gets some hints about local plant life and whatnot and sometimes the pace is a bit insane but hell it's just TV.

ee24

[12]Sep 5, 2007

Edward Michael "Bear" Grylls (http://www.offeroftheday.com/post/manvswild/)

Hye, he has a first name too.

My favorite moment: when he pees into a canteen, and promptly drinks straight from it. Doesn't matter how many nights you spend in a hotel, that never tastes better.

ShotNTheDarkX

[13]Sep 6, 2007
    • level: 8

Bear Grylls is amazing and has way more balls then Les Stroud

and his show is so much more entertaining!

Kyshi

[14]Sep 13, 2007

I hate to rain on the parade here, but I'd venture to guess that a vast majority of what we see on "reality" tv isn't really real. Take a look at the credits of any reality show...directors, writers, make-up, hair & wardrobe, casting, etc. Why woulda showneed any of these things if were just a camera pointed on some people recording what do?

The allegations that he faked some stuff on the show doesn't take away the entertainment for me. If Bear wanted to show how to survive in as many situations as possible, stands to reason that the show would fake some of it just to put him into whatever situation he wanted to escape from.

That said, there should've been some sort of disclaimer to tell viewers that was the case. I'll still watch the show regardless. I think it's entertaining.

Someone also posted that he had a "real" first name (Edward). I saw him in an interview, and he explained that I guess when he was young, they called him "Ted" or "Teddy" -- which transformed to Bear (Teddy-Bear) and the name stuck. I'm sure I don't have the whole story - but that's how I remember it!

NickBe

[15]Sep 16, 2007

Does it amtter that he is close to a road? I am a surviallist and I know most of what he says is completley accurate. It is a T.V. show teachign survival it doesn't matter that there are cars next to him, what he shows and what he teaches is real. Maybe they done the entire show and then bear said "wait a second we should have doen soemthign about lava bridges because they can be extremley hazordous" so he done a bit on lava bridges.

I mean really it is a show that is meant to teach fat, lazy people how to survive if they are put thrust into a survival situation and the survival tips are real. I do not understand what kidn of an idiot would complain. If I was hired to do a T.V. show there is no way i would intentionally risk my life to cross a lava bridge. I would cross given no other choice but if it was for the cameras I would ensure it was a steady bridge first. I can not have the camera guys behind me following me into danger. If for exampel I am in the amazon I would pick a part of the amazon in which there are no tribes. If I was alone fine but i wont be responsibel for the guys behind me getting beheaded by tribesmen.

Use you **** head.

By the way Les Stroud (survivorman) is also fantastic his knowladge surpasses Bears but he has a sattelite phone on him at all times. No survivalist would deliberatley put themselves in direct harm just for the cameras. If you thought they did you are an idiot.

Bear is not a fake he is a survivalist teaching valuable skills. Some things are staged because it is a T.V. show and it's not a real survival situation.

amari24

[16]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 4
    obviously i give LES the uperhand what bear shows can get you killed like if u watch austrlian outback episode when bear drank his urine ok if you drink your urine you'll die less than 24 hours.... and if u saw survivorman kahlahari les showed the right way to drink ur urine.And for jesus sake bear grylls was in the army i bet anyone cant do half the stuff he do for peek sake and whoever said bear ate a snake F.I.Y survivorman ate a snake to eastern dimaomd back rattle snake on the Georgia basin episode and survivorman aired before man vs wild so les ate a snake first know your stuff..... and incase you didint notice bear dosent finish out this nights like les rumor has it bear stays in near by hotels and the camer crew gives him energy bars about every 30 miutes of the show but anyway survivorman does stuff the right way so les all the way plus bear has easy fire startes the freaking flint stick he ace his fire and les has to make or find his fire materials and bear has camer crew you think if bear was gonna fall off a clif dont you think the camer crew would help??? les has no camer crew just a safety crew 2 different things its not like he has protection like bear and the safety crew is only their to set les equipment up unlike the camer crew LeS f0r LyFe

NickBe

[17]Sep 22, 2007

Bear at a snake whilst it was still alive he was the first to do that, know what you are talking about. I think Les is the better survivalist and drinking your own urine is heavily disputed amongst survivalist some agree it's a good as a last resort other disagree and say it will kill you.

Smokin32

[18]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 9

The show is fake and its not about surviving. Anything to the contrary is wishful thinking and just gullibility. They spend about1-3 weeksshooting the episode and edit it to seem like Bear spent a few days to get out of the situation. He spends nights in hotels and eats with the rest of the crew, in light of that, seeing him drink or eat discusting things just looks stupid now, especially considering that actual survival guids will recomend against "drinking dung","using a trouser raft to float in white rapids"and other rediculous things that the show has pushed as survival how-tos.

The guy who mentions the crew, and why would they need a wardrob or hair and makup person hit the nail on the head, its because its fake. They need to match wardrob and makup (mud) from day to day shootings. Thats coming from somone in the industry and know how shows are made. They were outright lieing to everyone in the first 2 seasons, and now with thier new format where they no longer use the intro "I got nothing more than a flint a knife, and water"and other outright lies, they just mislead you alot by keeping things as similar to the first two season without actually outright lieing. They now hope people wont realize the show is a completly different format and premise from its original "survive, and find a way out" thing.

Smokin32

[19]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 9
    Just found a partial list to admitted lies.

In the Everglades episode, Bear admits that the crew helped him build his shelter. In the Iceland episode, Bear admits that the dead sheep was left by a local farmer so that he could use it for a demonstration. In the Mexico episode, Bear admits that he used climbing equipment during a climb, and that the trout he caught was placed there by the crew. In the Scotland episode, Bear admits that the rabbit was placed there by the crew. In the Sierra Nevada episode, Bear admits that the crew helped him build a raft. In the Alaska episode, Bear admits that a crewman caught the salmon he ate as well as having the boat which rescues him at the end as being 'sent' to pick him up. In the Australia episode, Bear says that he did not spend the night out in the thunderstorm. In the Australia episode, Bear does not eat the python. They left out the life-vest that was hidden and used to ride the white rapids.Some horses that were brought in for visual effects and scripted narriation. The lava bridge being close to a highway and by defualt one of many locations that was driven to and shot.

lordvader86

[20]Dec 16, 2007
    • level: 8

Of course the show is fake! I think anyone whith half a brain could tell yout hat, I don't think that the Discovery channel would allow him to go to such dangerous places wihtout a little aid. Come on people think.

The whole point of this show is to show you how to survive these situations and showing you the limits you may have to go to in order to stay alive. Bear doesn't actually have to be in the situations it is after all...A TV SHOW! Imagine that, TV isn't real.

So next time you go nailing a guy to a cross just because his TV showisn't real maybe you should think first.