Man vs. Wild Forums

Discovery Channel (ended 2011)

Bear Grylls is a fake.

sfaberge

[21]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 21
    He isn't fake, he is exSAS and he does actually bite the head's off snakes and climb the cliffs etc... I never expect him to stay out in the wilderness when he is off air, I don't see why people expect him to either. For example when you're watching a car program do you complain that off air the hosts aren't living in their cars??

As for the people that say his survival advice is wrong, can I please draw your attention to the fact that he IS ex SAS and has a much better resume than any of us. I read a review that stated that the advice he gives is wrong - whether you like it or not he was trained by SAS and the advice he gives may be different to training in other countries but it works for the British Army and the SAS are one of the most (if not THE most) well trained units in the world.

He has done more than almost all of the audience watching and criticising him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lennydonkey

[22]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 12

sfaberge wrote:
    For example when you're watching a car program do you complain that off air the hosts aren't living in their cars?? .

I would be upset if the host specifically said that is what they are doing, then were discovered to have lied about it. What people are disappointed about is the large disparity between what bear clams to be doing and finding, and what actually happened.

People aren't mad he spends time in hotels, they're mad that he claims not to in the show. I have no problem with a guy making ahigh qualitywilderness survival show who wants to spend his night in comfort. But I do have a problem when he specifically says in the show that he's spending the night outdoors. I have no problem with using a life jacket in a raging river, but don't specifically claim the only aid you have is an inflated jacket. etc.

Smokin32

[23]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 9
    The level of disception is discusting and the information on survivig has been downright wrong and dangerous. What if someone does use pants as a raft in white waters?

You think that being SAS is somthing special? Well it is, if you are in the UK Special Forces 22 which was formed with hardcore indaviduals similar to the US Navy SEALS. But thats not Bear, Bear was in the SAS but its SAS 21 RESERVES. This means he was a part time soldier, this means that there is NO selection process as to who gets in beyong being fit and able. He was not the elite of elite nor did he get "special" training above and beyong any of our own US millitary reserves do (which currently numbers in the 200,000) and not more than out common soldier which numbers over 1million strong. He did climb a mountain, but its a commercial climb which means its not as tough as it used to be. A 15 year old girl recently made the climb and bear is not the youngest brit to ever climb everst either, just more blatent lies.

http://www.army.mod.uk/uksf/special_forces_soldier_reserve_/sas/index.htm

The guy is discusting in his outright disception, recently he claimed to break a flying world record with his "adventuring" (real life not in a show), but of course this is a claim only, no proof and was largely dismissed as untrue.He also has asperation to being a politician, which is a very scary thought.

sfaberge

[24]Dec 20, 2007
    He was SAS 21 having been trained in several specialities including survival. As a matter of fact there is a selection process for SAS 21 TA, the TA is no selection but the SAS TA is. Even so the TA get trained 3 years before being allowed on the battlefield. Yes he climbed a mountain and no it may not be that impressive to you but considering he broke his back in three places that's pretty amazing. He WAS the youngest Brit, he isn't anymore.

As for being a politician. He's Eton educated and then University of London. Eton is the most prestigous school in the UK and probably Europe (many countries send royalty there) and University of London is one of the top universities in the world.

Smokin32

[25]Dec 20, 2007
    He was NEVER the youngest brit, not that its anything to brag about anyway, James Allen was at 22 in 1995 two years before the fake. One more before grylle also made it one afer his climbed makeing bear 4th overall youngest brit to climb the mountain, NEVER the youngest, thats just more propaganda. He broke his back and climbed the mountain, is that impressive YES, (though now Im rightfully very skeptical to the extent of his injurys), keep in mind though a double amputee also climbed everest, thats much more impressive and still doesnt qualify him a survival expert.

He was SAS21 TA, which is STILL a reserve unit, a PART TIME SOLDIER. I dont want to knock reserves AT ALL, but the point is no amount of training these guys get will NEVER compare to that of a SEAL or TRUE SAS22 bad ass. Yes they recieve survival training and jump out of airplanes, but so does every one of the millions of people who served in the reserves. Even boyscouts gets survival training, that doesnt automatically make them experts either.

As for the education bit, Im not saying the guy isnt smart, he is, im saying its scary because he has NO scrupples, has no problem lieing to everyone about his accomplishments and life for fame and money.

Point is, he is the product of a propaganda machine, plain and simple. His "impressive" resume is not even close to what its being advertised as and its obvious he makes his living not trying to break records or to put himself in real challenges, but trying to lie about breaking records/challenges and to exagerate those claims.

sfaberge

[26]Dec 20, 2007
    He fractured his vertebrae in 3 places, there is no point being skeptical, it either is or isn't.

Actually SAS TA isn't really part time, they get an extremely large amount of training and unlike normal TA they actually have to train for most of the year instead of a few months. Survival training for the SAS TA is nothing to compare with boyscouts. Your argument is that the British Army give survival training the same as boyscouts get... Yeah I'm sure that happens.

Umm, welcome to the real world. Every politician and actually every person in a high powered job uses hyperbole in their resume and it is a tool.

Smokin32

[27]Dec 20, 2007
    Whatever guy, you obviously wont hear anything except your "Bear" (even lied how he got the name lol) has done no wrong and he really is everyhing he says he is dispite the facts. You have no clue as to what I was saying if you think my argument was that he got boyscout training. I placed the link to the SAS21 training and time they spend which is nothing close to what a full timer does let alone a full timer in an elite squad. Take care, enjoy the show, in the end Im glad you were entertained, but at least the info was out there for you to ignore and turn a blind eye to.

sfaberge

[28]Dec 21, 2007
    Sure sign of a lost argument when you relent. I think you are blinded by your prejudice against Bear Grylls and you have lost sight of the fact that he himself does not edit the show in the first place. Your argument for disliking Bear Grylls is based solely on the way he is portrayed in the show. If you dislike that - surely you should be angry at the producers?

Your quote: "Even boyscouts gets survival training, that doesn't automatically make them experts either"... Yeah, definitely misunderstood that...

I am not ignoring any information - if you watch the show instead of just sitting there complaining that he isn't better than you, you would notice that not once has Bear Grylls ever said anything about his own credentials. He merely goes to each place and shows you tricks of survival which is the point of the show.

You have no idea what training the British Army get, you have written a link to the website you have taken the information from which you haven't appear to have read. It states that SAS 21 ARE selected, they have 12 months training additional to at least 36 months for the TA. Then there is further selection for who goes on to do the additional training during their probation period before they are allowed to be mobile. US Navy SEAL training is only 30 months...

Smokin32

[29]Dec 21, 2007
    Relenting is not a sign of a lost argument, its acknowdging you arnt the brightest bulb in the box and its pointless to continue with you. My gripe is with Grylles himself, ow he portrats hmelf and is diceaving the public in his dispicable way he goes about it, the producers are equally at fualt though.

As for your 36 months of training, YOU really should read all of it, you just making yourself look utterly stupid when you miss that its actuially 18 weekends and a few other outings spread out over that 36 months.Apples and oranges, night and day is what any reserves are to any full time soldier or special forces.

Thats it for this tit for tat game, its simple, the guy lies about his credentials, he narrarates the show and mislead everyone as to what is happening.
    _every show in the beginnning he touts that he is the youngest brit to climb the mountain eeven though he knows thats not true.
    _the guy will club a rabbit from a pet store and pretend he did it to survive his "adventure".Then later call it a demonstration when people find out
    _The guy will hide stake inside a dead beaver to pretend he is eating the animal, except later call it a demonstration.
    _the guy will pretend to run from a bear and make people believe that its ok to jump from a cliff if you think a bear is near by.
    _The guy fakes a rough parachute landing.
    _the guy fakes getting hung up in a tree with he parachute.
    _the guy fakes how he navigates himself out of a lost location.
    _The guy stages the boat sinking, falling off ice, advised people to climb mountains and scale cliffs when he would not do it without gear or the fact that any true survivalist would advise against it.
    _Except for the parts where he eats bugs, the entire show was staged and faked, this is not guessing or assuming, this was addmited by the production company.

http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/bearwiki/Main_Page

nuff said.

moonlightannee

[30]Dec 21, 2007
    • level: 6
    Bear is prettycool to me. It's that Survivor whiny man that is fake. If he mentions his rescue crew once, he mentions it a thousand times per show. He sits in one place and whines about where he is, how wet, cold, miserable he is. He is so fake. Bear eats snakes, fish, etc raw. He's the man.
    Edited on 12/23/2007 7:05pm

sfaberge

[31]Dec 22, 2007
    It's people like this that ruin the show, if it isn't for people that constantly whine about Bear Grylls because they've got the wrong end of the stick the program wouldn't need to waste time telling everyone there is a crew constantly and it would be a better program for it.

Actually I wrote that they get 12 months ADDITIONAL training to the 36 months of TA training. And so I was right about selection yes?

You make a definitive end to your argument each time and come back and rant more. If you actually listen to the narration he never mentions that he was the youngest Brit to climb Everest (maybe that's in your head as you watch the show deliberately to come here and tell everyone you're better). Did it really look like a steak to you when he bit into the Zebra?

The production crew have not admitted anything of the sort, you're assuming again. They admitted that Bear Grylls gets help. That's because no one in their right mind would insure a show like this without help.

Your link is to another online source written by someone exactly like you - no proof. Half the allegations have no proof to them but you accept them because you don't like this program. Which brings us onto the point, why are you here?

Smokin32

[32]Dec 22, 2007
    People arnt upset because they think they are better survivalists.

No of course you arnt right, you think training every other weekend or 3rd weekend for 36months will produce something superior or even closly equivalant to a SEAL or SAS who spend every day for 30+ months, thats beyond silly.

Right, if you listen to the show, you know its not Bear who lies, ..... nooooooo, its his evil twin.... yeah, thats the ticket, evil twin. (how does beaver sound like zebra?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0qyKyWaNEQ

The production crew admitted things by way of the new edits for one, as well as going public as stated in many exposes, these arnt just lil made up stories, the link also provides proof via what was taped. Lets pick any one episode... ALASKA. At the start he says "I'm stranded in the middle of nowwhere with a flint and knife and bottle and with no help from camera crew ill find my way to covolization." Or somthing close to that, he says it every episode. The part where he climbs down the face of a waterfall, that was a good thing for someone trying to survive to do right? Climb down wet rocks with freezing water hitting you in the face would be brilliant! Thats the kind of thing only the top train elite boyscouts learn. Sure bear wont mention he has ropes and saftey quipment until the re-edit, but thats not all that important to include right? Or the part where he hunts for fish, this highly trained guy makes a spear, standing in a water 6 inches deap and hunts in where samon are plentyful. It was tough and he tried and tried, but eventually caught one!!!! Right, thats what happens cause it looks like that on tv right? So ummm why Discovery mentions in the re-edit that the fish was caught by the crew? Bear didnt put a caught fish in the water and pull it out like he just cuaght it, did he? The part where he finds a boat in the middle of nowhere, picks it up and wow, there was some very long green grass under it, but thats not evidence of him lieing, its just him stealing a boat to survive.... Or when the boat starts to sink, that really happened right? Thats the kind of thing people like to lie about to make Bear just look like a lier. He really did manage to get ready while the boat was completely submerged underwater yet not quite sink yet, that must have been one of those survival tricks he was so well trained in. The re-edit where they say it was staged was for, ..... was for,.... you'll think of something right, ...oh wait, it was a demonstyration of what to do when a dingy gets attacked by a hole drill....yeah thats the ticket. Or the part where Bear spends the night in his lil makeshift hut and hears creatures outside, that really happened right? He wouldnt lie about that night and really spend the night at the Pancake bed and breakfast place, that part must have been edited out for another reason, maybe they didnt want any confusion about that evil twin being seen at that pancake house. Wow, did you see the part where he finds civilization, was amazing though right?! He DID IT!!!! What he set out to do with Just a flint, a knife and water bottle,a few breaks at a hotel, a crew memeber who knows how to fish, and maybe a boat here and there and a lil shuttling from location to location,but he still managed to find civilazation!!! Oh wait, they redited it to say a boat was sent to pick him up......hmmmmmm. Maybe Discovery has some people jelous of Bear too who edit the show?

It people like you who think OJ is innoccent and people shouldnt think Micheal Jackson isnt wierd, he just likes children.

sfaberge

[33]Dec 23, 2007
    No but you are - you sound very bitter, especially in your review.

To be honest I look at that and I can't be asked to read it. I can guess what's in it though. I'm guessing you're blabbering on about how loads of training makes SEALs much superior to SAS 21. It AGAIN isn't the point - I don't care how much training any of them get - as long as they get training in survival which they do. What's the point of having been trained to do night combat let's say when the programme is about survival...

When the commentary says - "I'm stranded... I have to make my way out...", most people would take it as setting the scene. I guess you misunderstood that part.

I also looked up what you said about Bear Grylls not being the youngest and it's nothing special to climb Mount Everest (which is a stupid thing to say anyway). You said that a 15-year-old girl did it. I have since discovered that that was unconfirmed as a record. Something you have been going on religiously about when Bear Grylls hadn't had his records confirmed. Whther you like it or not he has climbed Mount Everest which is not easy and can't be done without survival skills. He has rowed the Atlantic in an inflatable... Tell me another survival show "expert" that has done nearly as much as he has and makes a show as good as this one

Smokin32

[34]Dec 23, 2007
    No , of course you wont read anything that gets in the way of you Grylles fantasy, you'd rather make stuff up to suport dream there.

He , since its so difficult for you to read, watch this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0qyKyWaNEQ
    How does "I'm stranded... I have to make my way out..." in an interview setup a scene?

I can tell you a about a show that has nothing to do with surviving, that Man VS Wild lol.

moonlightannee

[35]Dec 23, 2007

Smokin32 wrote:
    No , of course you wont read anything that gets in the way of you Grylles fantasy, you'd rather make stuff up to suport dream there. He , since its so difficult for you to read, watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0qyKyWaNEQ How does "I'm stranded... I have to make my way out..." in an interview setup a scene? I can tell you a about a show that has nothing to do with surviving, that Man VS Wild lol.

Beats Les the Whining Man any day!

sfaberge

[36]Dec 24, 2007
    I can read a darn sight better than you. I couldn't be bothered to read it because it's about half a page long and I'm guessing you've already written it somewhere else. Your arguments are very repetitive - I guess you can't think of anything new to say.

Unless you can give me evidence that the advice he gives does not help survival then your argument is shot - and I haven't seen anything you've said that is.

The video you showed is evidence to the contrary of your argument - he said "it's going to be the same for me", did he use any equipment during his advice on how to survive? No. The show is meant to illustrate how you survive IF you were stranded and how to get out. He is telling a story and setting up the show for you.

So I guess I was right about the records yeah?

Smokin32

[37]Dec 25, 2007
    You havnt been right yet, just more silly in your arguments. Lets see, where you wrong about Bear being the youngest brit to climb a mountain? Yup, he never was yet still claims it.

The 15yr old Sharpa is in the records, you want to beloileve it isnt go ahead.

As far as being repetative, you wouldnt know, you dont read anything that canflicts with your fantasy. How someone can see a video where Bear is blatently BSing and claim its proof for your argument? LMAO Your Fanboy defense of this jerk is not only repetative spin, its dounright stupid.

sfaberge

[38]Dec 27, 2007
    I like how you accused me of not reading yet you seem incapable of spelling anything. The 15year old is NOT in the Guinness book of Records because it is NOT confirmed.

When you read my arguments you can't reply to them so what you've done is gone after me instead of replying to an argument because you have NO reply. Your arguments have no new premises and your last post had nothing about Bear Grylls at all. If you want to talk about someone being repetitive lets look at your arguments:

He isn't trained - actually he is trained in survival which is what this program is about. Your argument about amount of training means nothing because SEALs get trained in different things which aren't relevant to the show.

He lied about a record broken - he acknowledges that he isn't the youngest in his latest interview at David Letterman and for some reason you think climbing Everest is not a feat. Everyone in the world knows it isn't easy apart from you.

He uses safety equipment - I wonder why he does that?

He doesn't actually spend two days in the wild - the program isn't actually made with a 90% chance of him dying in the wilderness whilst doing it. It's made to illustrate what you SHOULD do if you are stuck in that situation which is why he tells you the situation at the beginning of each episode.

And that's really all the arguments you've used. If you hate him that much why do you go to his forum every day?

As for spin, all the news you've used in your arguments are from newspapers and Internet sites. Are they really the best places for accurate information? The Internet is full of people writing bias and made up reports and newspapers always use hyperbole for a good story.

I can't be bothered to argue with someone who is blindsided by his own hatred and prejudice of Bear Grylls and feels the need to tell everyone about it.

lennydonkey

[39]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 12

sfaberge wrote:
    He uses safety equipment - I wonder why he does that? He doesn't actually spend two days in the wild

But in the episodes he specifically claims he's not using safety equipment, and specifically claims he is spending his days and nights in the wild. THAT is lying, and THAT is whatmost people are mad about. If you want to demonstrate survival techniques with reasonable precautions , that's fine. But say that's what you're doing, don't claim otherwise to look cooler or make a more thrilling show.

CrowMistress

[40]Dec 28, 2007
    Bravo sfaberge, finally an intelligent argument in support of Bear. I can understand why people are upset at how MvW was presented; but then again, a little common sense goes a long way. Obviously the man is not going to risk his safety for a TV show; he has a wife and kids to go home to. But to attack his credentials and his military career is unintelligible. This kind of stuff really gets under my skin. Apparently there are no wars, no starving children, no poverty in this world to worry about; there's only Bear Grylls and his "deceptions" that people spend all their waking hours composing hate messages and websites for. Bottom line: if you don't like him, don't watch him. Simple as that.