Man vs. Wild Forums

Discovery Channel (ended 2011)

Bear Grylls is a fake.

Smokin32

[41]Dec 29, 2007
    • level: 9
    I guess since you are relenting you are admiting you are wrong.

You said my argument is "He isn't trained".
    I never said he isnt trained, I said he misleads everyone into thinking he is a highly trained SAS elite force soldier when in fact he is in the reserves who gets trained a tiny fraction to that of a special forces unit. You yourself admit he is in the reserves, but chose to believe that somehow, he is a very very highly trained reservist.

He lied about a record broken :[B/]
    He has lied about several records being broken and even lied about it in the Letterman interview. He didnt admit he wasnt the youngest brit to ever climb Everest and that someone beat him to the sumit 2 years prior and another time prior to that, instead he mentions someone else who died who happened to be younger than him and climbed the mountain after after him. THAT IS EVEN MORE SICK THAN MOST OF WHAT WAS DONE. To use the death of a man to bolster his reputation is discusting and that is exactly what he did there.

[B]He uses safety equipment.

I dont care if he uses saftey equipemnt, if that were just the case I would still be a fan, but its not, compare what happened on the show prior to the edits and after and you can see that the whole show is about fiction, not survivng.
    In fact the next post I'll recap an episode, it clearly demonstrate why Bear is a fraud and why its silly that people defend him.

He doesn't actually spend two days in the wild
    Well when the whole premis of the show is about surving in the wild and using that survival training and not getting any aid from a hotel or whatnot, Id say thats a pretty big deal.

As for spin, all the news you've used in your arguments are from newspapers and Internet sites
    Again, you can ignore ALL THAT and you are still left with what the show and bear and the broadcast company has admited to through the re-edits. Through those admissions, it makes all that other stuff you want to close your eyes to, accurate.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Smokin32

[42]Dec 29, 2007
    sfaberge argument was "Bear never actually lies himself, its the production company that misleads everyone with thier promos and editing"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0qyKyWaNEQ

sfaberge also claims to not want to be bothered to read this re-cap, I suspect because its just too hard to make up all the imaginative excuses.

This is a re-cap of just ONE episode, the ALASKA adventure with and without the re-edit changes that Bear both narrates and the production company change on thier own.

_ At the start he says "I'm stranded in the middle of nowwhere with a flint and knife and bottle and with no help from camera crew ill find my way to covolization." Or somthing close to that, he says it every episode. edited out because that obviously does not happen,sfaberge will claim this is "setting up a scene" and use impllore people to use common sense, but he still hasnt come up with a reason to why Bear claimed the same thing on interview, his blog, and everywhere else What scene was getting setup?

_The part where he climbs down the face of a waterfall, that was a good thing for someone trying to survive to do right? Climb down wet rocks with freezing water hitting you in the face would be brilliant! Bear wont mention he has ropes and saftey quipment until the re-edit,sfaberge will refuse to admit this is about as bad as advice can get in a survival situation

_The part where he hunts for fish, this highly trained guy makes a spear, standing in a water 6 inches deap and hunts in where samon are plentyful. It was tough and he tried and tried, but eventually caught one!!!! Right, thats what happens cause it looks like that on tv right? So ummm why Discovery mentions in the re-edit that the fish was caught by the crew? Bear didnt put a caught fish in the water and pull it out like he just caught it, did he? The part where he finds a boat in the middle of nowhere, picks it up and wow, there was some very long green grass under it, but thats not evidence of him lieing, its just him stealing a boat to survive....

Or when the boat starts to sink, that really happened right? Thats the kind of thing "other people" like to lie about to make Bear just look like a lier. He really did manage to get ready while the boat was completely submerged underwater yet not quite sink yet, that must have been one of those survival tricks he was so well trained in. The re-edit where they say it was staged was for, ..... was for,.... you'll think of something right, ...oh wait, it was a demonstyration of what to do when a dingy gets attacked by a hole drill....yeah thats the ticket.

Or the part where Bear spends the night in his lil makeshift hut and hears creatures outside, that really happened right? He wouldnt lie about that night and really spend the night at the Pancake bed and breakfast place, that part must have been edited out for another reason, maybe they didnt want any confusion about that evil twin being seen at that pancake house. But wow, did you see the part where he finally finds civilization, was amazing though right?! He DID IT!!!! What he set out to do with Just a flint, a knife and water bottle,a few breaks at a hotel, a crew memeber who knows how to fish, and maybe a boat here and there and a lil shuttling from location to location,but he still managed to find civilazation cause he makes it to the river and spots a boat!!! Oh wait, they redited it to say a boat was sent to pick him up......hmmmmmm. Maybe Discovery has some people jelous of Bear too who edit the show?

So, I dont know, maybe the fanboy sfaberge can recap the educational part of survival in this Alaska episode, you know the parts thats show off Bear's highly trained skills and knowhow.

moonlightannee

[43]Jan 7, 2008
    • level: 6
    Anything Bear does beats Les's whining. Some survivor Les is.

timothyc11

[44]Jan 10, 2008
    • level: 5
    entertainment, yes..but also an actual survival guide for your benefit!!! get over yourselves people, he's in harsh conditions, you're sitting on your arse...

TiberiumExposed

[45]May 28, 2008
    • level: 1

Um, none of the arguments here are valid anywho. it is against the fish and gaming code to put yourself willingly in danger in the wilderness for such shows. So advisors and such have to be there in close proximity to you. IN terms of fakes all of them are. Bear Grylls is just funner to watch. My dad likes the other guy so its funny as it is pointless really.

Also if any of your guys transmit via HD TV there has to be a camera up close on them, so if any claim no camera men but transmit HD they are lieing through their ugly teeth. The hd camera shooting aint increadiably mobile devices either.

Hope yall did not think survivor was actually real what tv studio would put peoples lives out like that without getting sued?

Look it up on lexus nexus or the really fine print after your shows.

Have a nice day guys and gals.

toosmooth

[46]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 15
    You think a man who served in the British armed forces and someone who probably knows the most about survival than anyone else in the world is a fake? You may think he is a fake, but I think your an idiot. Sure he has a cmera crew, but they only help him when they need to. 'Nuff said.

lennydonkey

[47]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 12

toosmooth wrote:
    they only help him when they need to.

Which is aparently all the time.

Especially when seeing how heavily the early episodes had to be re-edited to show he wasn't doing things unaided.

Smokin32

[48]Jun 17, 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x6ZSpvDezc

There is no doubt whatsoever that the show was faked, staged, and scripted. He even says in his own word, that they shoot an episode over 6 days, and when they are done for the day, he sleeps with the crew. Well I work in TV and thats a standard scheduale for shoots and thats how they work it.

He still trys to pretend that he is risking life and limb whihc is a simple exageration and just more deception at this point. People think "well its a lil fake", but the reality is, none of it is real. Not him catching food, not finding civilization, the close calls, this is acting and nothing more.

IloveJTT14

[49]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 2

I really don't care. I love watching this and getting a real laugh out of seeing him eat bugs. It's pure entertainment.

Besides, do you really think they'd ACTUALLY leave him all alone? Health and safety regulations, people.

DaTartuGuy

[50]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 3

i watched the youtube vide

first of all he might not have seen the road,cuz the cars may not allways be there.Second,like the poster in the intro it says sometimes the stunts are made how to do it,

hippy_91

[51]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 14
    yeah its fake. but the point of the show is to show you how to survive in different climates and how to handle situations

JBrick2334

[52]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 12
    toosmooth you are an idiot, you honestly think he knows more about survival than anyone else in the world? because that is just retarded there are probably thousands of people who know more than him and could survive better than him, and i for one think that Les is one of those people.

Pikachu_2121

[53]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 20
    Who cares. The show entertaining, that's all I care about

_Flix_

[54]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 4

"Bear Grylls and the crew receive support when they are in potentially life threatening situations, as recquired by health and safety regulations.

On some occasions, situations are presented to Bear so he can demonstrate survival techniques.

Professional advice should always be sought before entering any dangerous enviroment."

Yes, of course, some of it is faked.

This isn't exactly a breakthrough anymore, now that the shows have this disclaimer.

If you don't want Bear being given these situations to demonstrate a way to survive, change the channel and watch something else.