Man vs. Wild Forums

Discovery Channel (ended 2011)

Bear Grylls Is A Phony

honorablechoice

[1]Sep 29, 2010
    • level: 3

I don't know why this show wasn't canceled when they found out how he faked some of his episodes..

Like the one in hawaii.. He supposedly going through poisoness gasses.. "smoke machines" Lol.. And that one in south america I think it was.. I forget where.. But he had to run off to the hotel cause it was to hard out there with the bugs and stuff, haha..

He is gunna get somebody killed one of these days listening to all his crud!

Example of his lies..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

There are many more where that came from, haha... And he gets paid for this.. Rofl!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

honorablechoice

[2]Sep 29, 2010
    Feel free to read the description on that youtube video, lol.. Sorry, I just felt I needed to give my two cents, lol.

Steve_Hudson

[3]Dec 13, 2010
    • level: 9

It was obvious from the first episode that he has a crew behind him that of course won't risk their lives shooting in the middle of 'I don't know where I am'. Discovery's mistake was not to put the disclaimer about Bear having a crew that helps him and about making up some situations to teach you real things from the very first episode, in case someone thought Bear really was that crazy to go alone in all those locations.

gabfan31

[4]Feb 11, 2011
    • level: 100
    The show isn't about how great a wilderness survivor Bear Grylls is, it's about him showing his audience the dangers and way to survive in hostile environments. That means that there will be times when Bear will have to stage some things in order to show it, because not every potential problem will occur on cue. That doesn't make him a faker in my book. but rather as someone who wants to demonstrate as many scenarios as possible. There's still plenty of times when he does follow his survival tips- unless someone wants to say that the lizards he eats raw are actually Gummi lizards!

I also don't think that anyone can accuse him of outright lying- when they film him sleeping out in the wild, he doesn't do it from a hotel room or on a TV soundstage. Maybe he does occasionally go to a motel, I don't know. But this may very well be for safety reasons, not because he's a wuss or dishonest. Safety should be his primary concern, not just for him, but for his crew, as well.

Bottom line, he doesn't get his safety tips wrong, so he should be taken as imparting useful information. He's also quite entertaining to watch, so maybe people should cut him some slack, because that's what television is all about!

haegerrulz

[5]Mar 3, 2011

@ gabfan31: I disagree. Bear does some incredibly foolish things that one would never do if they were truly on their own. The most glaring example is when he decides to take a shortcut by wading through underground caves. He did this in several episodes and it was just dumb. Another example is his climbing stunts. He seems to be an expert climber so when he matter-of-factly climbs up & down shear rock walls to find water or some other trail it just doesn't compute with 99% of the population. A final gripe is how he uses parachute cord in just about every episode (because he parachutes in). Who carries 50 ft of cord with them?

Of course it IS just entertainment. It just rubs me the wrong way because people actually believe it as real-life.

Edited on 03/03/2011 8:41pm

gabfan31

[6]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 100
    haegerrulz wrote:

@ gabfan31: I disagree. Bear does some incredibly foolish things that one would never do if they were truly on their own. The most glaring example is when he decides to take a shortcut by wading through underground caves. He did this in several episodes and it was just dumb. Another example is his climbing stunts. He seems to be an expert climber so when he matter-of-factly climbs up & down shear rock walls to find water or some other trail it just doesn't compute with 99% of the population. A final gripe is how he uses parachute cord in just about every episode (because he parachutes in). Who carries 50 ft of cord with them?

Of course it IS just entertainment. It just rubs me the wrong way because people actually believe it as real-life.

There are occasions when Bear does some risky stuff, like going into caves, but he tells the audience just how risky it is, and explains why. He also says sometimes that it's a choice of evils- risk problems in the caves, or backtracking for miles and maybe not finding a better way, and having to face other dangers. That's what's survival is about, after all, picking your evils and making them work. As for the climbing, I agree he does too much of that, since 99% of us watching him could never emulate him, but by watching him and listening to his advice one can learn useful things, and maybe climb a higher cliff than one might otherwise. As for the parachute cord, he does without anything but a knife, flint, and water bottle in half the episodes, and improvises with other things like shoelaces, vines, and flotsam found on beaches, which anyone can do. In the end, he's teaching a mindset more than anything else, and the mindset of survival is something anyone can learn. As for it being "real life", they state at the beginning of each episode that one should consult with an expert before facing the dangers that he does- he's giving tips and demonstrations, not teaching a class! Of course a class with a survival expert is going to be more useful for real life, but that doesn't negate what he shows, it just means it's incomplete, because it is just a TV show.
    Edited on 03/04/2011 8:17am