Man vs. Wild Forums

Discovery Channel (ended 2011)

Did anyone else notice....

Brunete20

[1]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 63
    I believe it was the Alaskan mountain range episode (not sure which episode exactly because I watched all of them this weekend) where he was floating down the raging river in a gray sweatshirt and using his backpack to help keep him afloat, well I got my first hint the show wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  If you look closely while he is getting to the shore, you can tell he has a life jacket on under his shirt.  Then as he gets out of the water, it is magically gone. The show teaches people a lot of things to help them survive, but it was clear that he was getting some assistance.  It was just an observation.  Also, in the Rain forest episode, where did he get the cup from that he boiled his water?  I thought he said he only had his knife and canteen.  Overall though, I think it's a good show.  Some of the things he does are amazing, like climbing down the face of the cliff with no rope or anything.   
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

xblvr

[2]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 38

well there was an interview that I read with him where the crew made him wear the vest...he did for that one episode and refused at other times...he felt that it took away from the reality...

as far as the canteen...I have a standard army issue canteen like his that has a metal cup on the base...these can be purchased at any sporting good or army surplus shop...

petzl1981

[3]Jan 6, 2007
    • level: 1
    i guess it just depends on what you think it is actually cracked up to be. i don't want to watch a show of some dude drowning. as a paddler, i can tell you that **** he was floating through was NOT all friendly. that hydraulic looked pretty scary and i didn't get any less enjoyment or education from dude wearing a life jacket while he did that....

anyway, dude squeezed water out of elephant **** and drank it. that alone earns four or five free live vest passes in my book..

Studio78

[4]Jan 9, 2007
    • level: 11
    I completely agree. I get that the purpose of the show is to teach the viewers some helpful survival tips but it's hard to fake some of the stuff he pulls off. One of my favorite episodes was where he was left on an island in the middle of the Pacific and he found that plant that had oil in it's roots that took the oxygen out of water and killed all those fish that he ate. Very impressive. 

sparkie_ac

[5]Feb 6, 2007
    • level: 18
    I actually the show and he does a good job teaching, it doesn't bother me if he uses a bit of help to make the show! And I like the Alaska coast show, but my favorite was him taking off the wet cloths but that is just my opinion!

PsychoPerson

[6]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 22
    Well bear, your right about all that. And I also have to agree that the show is awesome! Only a true man like Bear Grylls would do such risky (Yet cool) things. Shows that hes really brave. I admire that!

Miz-Chan

[7]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 6

Brunete20 wrote:
    I believe it was the Alaskan mountain range episode (not sure which episode exactly because I watched all of them this weekend) where he was floating down the raging river in a gray sweatshirt and using his backpack to help keep him afloat, well I got my first hint the show wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  If you look closely while he is getting to the shore, you can tell he has a life jacket on under his shirt.  Then as he gets out of the water, it is magically gone.

The episode was his very first ep. His crew forced him to wearit. Bear thought that it took away from the "survival" part of the show. After that incedent, he refused any help from the crew in dangerous senarios, unless it was a life or death situation.

Edited on 03/03/2007 3:50pm

monicita

[8]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    i agree with sparkie.. nothing an ruin that alaskan episode... "the best thing to do is take all your clothes off and run around gloriously nude in the sun" you go bear grylls

JengoFett6

[9]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 8
    Yeah, i also wish he would say what to do to make a fire if you didn't have flint. Some people wouldn't have the luxury of a knife or flint, or a water bottle. In the episode where he was stranded at sea, he put himself by an island. Some people wouldn't be anywhere NEAR swimming range of any land. What are we supposed to do if THAT happens?

ilovemyDVR

[10]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 10
    Well I think Bear does the best with what he has, and there are new episodes you never know what he will do in them so don't get discouraged just yet. I believe that Bear always uses his knife and things because that is what most people have when they are out in situations like these.

Tommorichards

[11]Jun 30, 2007
    • level: 5
    ilovemyDVR wrote:
    Well I think Bear does the best with what he has, and there are new episodes you never know what he will do in them so don't get discouraged just yet. I believe that Bear always uses his knife and things because that is what most people have when they are out in situations like these.

I know that beause of this show, i know exactly what i need when i go anywhere. Water bottle, knife and flint. He shows that you can survive on only those things.

goodgirltv

[12]Jul 6, 2007
    i think i'd rather not be stuck in the wild -- drinking elephant dung doesn't appeal to me!!

Torus_333

[13]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 50
    Brunete20 wrote:
    I believe it was the Alaskan mountain range episode (not sure which episode exactly because I watched all of them this weekend) where he was floating down the raging river in a gray sweatshirt and using his backpack to help keep him afloat, well I got my first hint the show wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  If you look closely while he is getting to the shore, you can tell he has a life jacket on under his shirt.  Then as he gets out of the water, it is magically gone. The show teaches people a lot of things to help them survive, but it was clear that he was getting some assistance.  It was just an observation.  Also, in the Rain forest episode, where did he get the cup from that he boiled his water?  I thought he said he only had his knife and canteen.  Overall though, I think it's a good show.  Some of the things he does are amazing, like climbing down the face of the cliff with no rope or anything.   

Also on the Pacific Island episode wasn't weird how he found an empty gallon when he said i need something to keep my water in.I think it's not a coincidence.Someone left it there for him to get.This episode was my favorite anyway!!!

goodgirltv

[14]Jul 7, 2007
    Torus_333 wrote:
    Brunete20 wrote:
    I believe it was the Alaskan mountain range episode (not sure which episode exactly because I watched all of them this weekend) where he was floating down the raging river in a gray sweatshirt and using his backpack to help keep him afloat, well I got my first hint the show wasn't all it was cracked up to be. If you look closely while he is getting to the shore, you can tell he has a life jacket on under his shirt. Then as he gets out of the water, it is magically gone. The show teaches people a lot of things to help them survive, but it was clear that he was getting some assistance. It was just an observation. Also, in the Rain forest episode, where did he get the cup from that he boiled his water? I thought he said he only had his knife and canteen. Overall though, I think it's a good show. Some of the things he does are amazing, like climbing down the face of the cliff with no rope or anything.

Also on the Pacific Island episode wasn't weird how he found an empty gallon when he said i need something to keep my water in.I think it's not a coincidence.Someone left it there for him to get.This episode was my favorite anyway!!!

it actually makes me feel better to know that his crew won't let him die - that would be horrible!!

regardless of the "help" he gets, it's an amazing show

Tommorichards

[15]Jul 8, 2007
    • level: 5
    I never thought of where that bottle came from. Ah well, i wonder how big the camera crews bag must be to contain all the water and supplies, or if they actually do some of the stuff that bear shows them. Interesting.....

die2knuloveme

[16]Jan 12, 2008
    well i did notice this past season they now have a warning advising people not to do what he's doing and that at times things are staged to show you how to survive in that situation, like for example coming across a rattle snake. so if he's got a little bit of help along the way to show you how to survive its fine by me. he's got to be safe well, as safe as you can get doing some of the things he's doing.

comage

[17]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 7
    I have to say that after he was exposed for some of the staged stuff in S1 and S2, the tone in S3 has never been the same again.

It's no longer one of those "Survive by making it to the pickup LZ", but more of a documentary with him going around showing survival tips and what to do (or not do) when you're in the wild.

However, the only good thing remaining about the show, is his guts in eating those sick stuff. I suppose that's the minimum credit we should give to Bear Grylls.

cyberdarkkid

[18]Jan 15, 2008
    well he can't really risk his life to the max because of course he wants to live, but he gives some really good tips and most of the things that he does ,he does them himself

Smokin32

[19]Jan 16, 2008
    • level: 9
    You give him too much credit. The show is fiction, they write a show and go out to perform stunts to entertain everyone. Part of the entertainment factor is eating discusting things(or pretending to). But while alot seems like good advice, and on some occasions is, it filled with so much bad advice, dangerous, or irrelevant advice to fit the storyline, its best not to try and take anything too seriously in terms of a personal survival guide.

Here you can see a crew filming the show and it shows exactly what goes on. Bear is at best, an actor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT6Bh3A0Fu0

amari24

[20]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 4
    Well yeah you really can't be pissed off its just the fact that these people want to much from Bear they want him to be perfect and kinda like the Master of Survival.But back on topic.It was the Colorado Rockies episode I think Bear idmitted he had a life jacket on when he was floating in the river but the crew forces him to where that stuff but from then on bear refuses to use any support unless it is a life or death situation.Also if you listen sometimes he idmitts he uses ropes to get down he will say something like this."Im gonna use a safety Line because one slip up here can be fatal". so yeah its just for his safety would you like to down climp 80ft clifs without a rope thats the way I see it.