Man vs. Wild Forums

Discovery Channel (ended 2011)

les is a lier!

  • Avatar of nickypooh

    nickypooh

    [1]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 04/16/08
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 106

    OK! i'm NOT a survivorman fan i like man vs wild better SOOOO

    anyways if Les states that he is "alone" (wich he does) who takes the pictures u see online? who tapes him taping himself?

    WHO TOOK THIS PICTURE???????

    BOTTOM LINE IS: HE IS NOT ALONE!!!! WHY DOES HE HAS TO LIE????

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NickBe

    NickBe

    [2]Jun 8, 2008
    • member since: 08/04/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 7

    Are you joking or are you dumb?

    Those pictures are publicity shots probably taken by a proffesional photographer before Les leaves on his one week survial trip.

    At the start of the show you usually see somebody else filimg Les that is his saftey crew they are camped miles away with a helicopter incase of an emergency. After they drop him off he is all alone and he carries all his camera gear with hime. What you see in the show is all filmed by Les he sets the camera up on a tripod or carries it with him.

    Edited on 06/08/2008 5:31am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of swat_tw124

    swat_tw124

    [3]Jun 10, 2008
    • member since: 08/17/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 46
    Yeah, try watching the show a little bit more and you can see that he has certain equipment that he even hooks up to his waist so that the camera is following him hands free. I have seen that system before, and already stated that he sets them up on tripods (if you don't know what those are.. try searching it on google or something).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of nickypooh

    nickypooh

    [4]Jun 10, 2008
    • member since: 04/16/08
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 106

    the picture is a print screen from an episode... DUH!

    i watch the show first of all he is a very boring person second of all there is no way he can carry 3 diferent camaras and then tape something walk again with the cameras then do it all over again! i mean its common sense he CANNOT be alone!

    its dummer the person who relly think he IS alone...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of swat_tw124

    swat_tw124

    [5]Jun 10, 2008
    • member since: 08/17/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 46
    nickypooh wrote:

    the picture is a print screen from an episode... DUH!

    i watch the show first of all he is a very boring person second of all there is no way he can carry 3 diferent camaras and then tape something walk again with the cameras then do it all over again! i mean its common sense he CANNOT be alone!

    its dummer the person who relly think he IS alone...



    You're calling me dumb? OK but first, check your spelling and grammar... than tell me who the dumb one is. Second, if you seen the episode with him going to Alaska, he had a sled that carried all the cameras on it. Another thing, he sets up camp and puts them on tripods, and he simply moves one camera farther back so that it shows him taping himself!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of nickypooh

    nickypooh

    [6]Jun 12, 2008
    • member since: 04/16/08
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 106
    swat_tw124 wrote:
    nickypooh wrote:

    the picture is a print screen from an episode... DUH!

    i watch the show first of all he is a very boring person second of all there is no way he can carry 3 diferent camaras and then tape something walk again with the cameras then do it all over again! i mean its common sense he CANNOT be alone!

    its dummer the person who relly think he IS alone...

    You're calling me dumb? OK but first, check your spelling and grammar... than tell me who the dumb one is. Second, if you seen the episode with him going to Alaska, he had a sled that carried all the cameras on it. Another thing, he sets up camp and puts them on tripods, and he simply moves one camera farther back so that it shows him taping himself!

    hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

    u made my day!!!!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Smokin32

    Smokin32

    [7]Jun 17, 2008
    • member since: 09/10/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 76
    When you grow up, you should be a detective!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dirtydog1992

    dirtydog1992

    [8]Jun 21, 2008
    • member since: 06/22/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 18

    This has been a show of ignorance from the person with the pink dinosaur picture.

    Les video tapes himself and you can see him video taping himself on his cameras, he takes a lot of extra tapes on his trips because unlike Bear Grylls he doesn't go back to hotels to recharge the batteries and get new tapes there, he carries his own cameras because he doesn't need someone else to carry them for him, how can you possibly call Les a lier when Bear is obviously a fake, if you were interested in some real survival you wouldn't find Survivorman boring, and that picture is not an action shot... it is one of the pictures that is taken before he goes out and if it is an action shot it is a frozen screen from one of his tripods.

    Edited on 06/21/2008 9:48pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of IloveJTT14

    IloveJTT14

    [9]Jun 25, 2008
    • member since: 06/23/08
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 10

    So let me get this straight--you think LES is a liar and BEAR is real?!

    Wow. Go on Youtube and look up 'Man vs. Wild fake'.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hippy_91

    hippy_91

    [10]Jul 3, 2008
    • member since: 05/14/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,468
    survivorman is fake to.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dirtydog1992

    dirtydog1992

    [11]Jul 5, 2008
    • member since: 06/22/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 18
    Neither are completely real. Survivorman scouts out the locations ahead of time. He knows where he is going to go before he begins. Survivorman is alone and Survivorman doesn't do stupid British Commando stunts. Bear Grylls is completely fake. He is shown going out into the wild by jumping out of a helicopter (who is going to do that?) and carrying the most inconvinient of items for someone to be carrying. He also does the stupidest of things (like jumping into a swifly moving, freezing cold water. Jumping into a giant pool of mud, etc.) Survivorman shows you what you should do and Man vs. Wild shows you what you can do.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NachoSwordsman

    NachoSwordsman

    [12]Jul 14, 2008
    • member since: 03/20/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 339
    dirtydog1992 wrote:
    Neither are completely real. Survivorman scouts out the locations ahead of time. He knows where he is going to go before he begins. Survivorman is alone and Survivorman doesn't do stupid British Commando stunts. Bear Grylls is completely fake. He is shown going out into the wild by jumping out of a helicopter (who is going to do that?) and carrying the most inconvinient of items for someone to be carrying. He also does the stupidest of things (like jumping into a swifly moving, freezing cold water. Jumping into a giant pool of mud, etc.) Survivorman shows you what you should do and Man vs. Wild shows you what you can do.
    Actually, Bear does that stuff for a reason you know. He does to help you know what to do if you were caught in that situation. Les is completely real, but is mildly interesting. People would rather see fake and exciting than real and boring.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Smokin32

    Smokin32

    [13]Jul 15, 2008
    • member since: 09/10/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 76
    I doubt even Ed would follow his own advise if he were really caught in a bad situation. The reason he does it is for ratings. Take for example all the nasty stuff he eats, he is not hungry or going hungry, he eats with the crew and craft service makes sure he is happy. He could easily tell you that this or that is edible, but he knows chewing nasty stuff with his mouth open as he describes each disgusting details is what get ratings. This and all the stupid stunts he does are simply for the same reason.

    They look for scenarios to perform "whatever" to entertain, thats the only reason he does what he does.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NachoSwordsman

    NachoSwordsman

    [14]Jul 15, 2008
    • member since: 03/20/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 339
    Smokin32 wrote:
    I doubt even Ed would follow his own advise if he were really caught in a bad situation. The reason he does it is for ratings. Take for example all the nasty stuff he eats, he is not hungry or going hungry, he eats with the crew and craft service makes sure he is happy. He could easily tell you that this or that is edible, but he knows chewing nasty stuff with his mouth open as he describes each disgusting details is what get ratings. This and all the stupid stunts he does are simply for the same reason.

    They look for scenarios to perform "whatever" to entertain, thats the only reason he does what he does.
    Who's Ed?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Smokin32

    Smokin32

    [15]Jul 17, 2008
    • member since: 09/10/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 76
    Edward Grylls. "Bear" was something the production company came up with. He lied about how his mom gave him the nickname so he could share a contrived anecdote in interviews.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dvname

    dvname

    [16]Mar 16, 2009
    • member since: 06/08/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 5

    Heh i didn't know that was his real first name. Its not the only thing the production company lied about. He wasn't even in the army, he was in the TA. Its tempting to hate him for this but I find him too entertaining. He's his own worst by being too much of a showman. I would definitely prefer if they showed more of the cameramen.

    FYI, Survivorman is worse in my opinion. At least Grylls was ambigous about the setup. Les obviously cannot be alone and has lied outright from the start. Has anyone here heard of a little thing called insurance?! They would simply not insure him if he had no backup.not to mention the whole was a cynical cash in to the whole grylls fiasco. "Don't watch that lyin bear, watch this. Its real!". Bollocks quite frankly.

    I think this is where the grylls stay at a hotel was taken out of context. They probably had concerns for his safety and I bet he had no say in the matter. Only an idiot would actually wander out into these scenarios alone.

    Still I wish he was a bit more honest about the crew he was with. The best guy for this is still Ray Mears

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Gibbs_Gal

    Gibbs_Gal

    [17]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 06/20/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 60

    Does it really matter what his name is? A lot of people don't use their real names. PINK for example. I wouldn't be surprised if Bear doesn't actually spend the night out there in the wild. And seriously, WHO could blame him. The point of the show is to demonstrate ways of surviving. Everyone is taught differently. A Marine learns different ways. Army learns their way. Navy SEALS have their way and the SAS definitely have THEIR own ways of surviving. Believe what you want to believe. The scene where he gets into the quicksand or quick mud (whatever he calls it), is to show you what to do to GET OUT of it if you were to get stuck. If he didn't get in himself, how could he show you. The scene in Siberia where he jumps into a quick flowing ice stream naked is to show you what you should do when faced with a dilemma like that. Because it's true, if you were to try and jump the gap and miss the other side you would drop like a sack of s**t into the icy water FULLY clothed! If you managed to get out then you'd have nothing dry to warm yourself back up with. He goes to the extreme (sometimes unnecessarily) to show people what COULD happen. He never pretends that there's NO ONE out there with him. He speaks to the camera man quite often. He helps the camera man sometimes too. And in one episode, it's the camera man that grabs Bear and stops him from sliding down a ravine. Every show has it's flaws. If you don't like, then don't watch it.

    Edited on 04/06/2009 8:09am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of torrijos

    torrijos

    [18]Jun 3, 2009
    • member since: 11/09/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 252
    I mean they even explained that some situation are there to demonstrate what to do in extreme cases.
    If you go and get the discovery channel podcasts on the iTunes music store they show you the entire crew that some demonstrations takes.

    I believe they did explained that they take about a week to prepare an episode, a week where Bear is teached particular details of the region he's about to jump in, and probably shoot the parts that he wouldn't be able to do safely without a crew. Then they drop him with a camera crew for the 2 days walk an episode usually entails.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of _Flix_

    _Flix_

    [19]Jul 28, 2009
    • member since: 07/09/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 20
    If you want to see real things, turn off the television, or watch a documentary.

    Survival shows are good to teach you tips, but not every single thing from these shows can be taken into the real world. You need to face that fact.

    If you're going to be a moron and kick and scream because a television show is fake, then TURN IT OFF. Go outside. Try to experience the real thing. They make actual survival courses, you know. Take one of them if that's what you're after.

    I like both series. Man Vs. Wild amuses me. Bear Grylls has a hilarious scream and a nice bum. Les has a soothing voice and his shows are just enjoyable to watch. But if you think the things you watch on TV should be 100% real, well, then darling I don't want you to ever watch a horror film.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of amari24

    amari24

    [20]Aug 20, 2009
    • member since: 06/14/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 86
    Hes not the lier,You just clearly never heard of common sense.He has about 5 different Camera-Camcorders.Also with Tripods,If you wastch his behind the scenes it clearly shows he films and his crew edits and thats how they manage to get the pictures out on the web.And atleast Les can say he doesnt stay in hotels.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.