Man vs. Wild Forums

Discovery Channel (ended 2011)

Man vs. Wild vs. Survivorman

moonlightannee

[41]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 6
    There's no question about it. Man vs. Wild beats out Survivorman. All Les does is whine about the rain, the bugs, etc. Bear eats the bugs!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

magneticssamuri

[42]Nov 16, 2007
    • level: 4

Has any one ever notice in the credits Les has a bunch of credits, he basically contributes in every aspect of his show.Whereas "Bear" is only credited as the shows Presenter.Man vs. Wild is obviously fake and solely made for entertainment reasons.I do believe Survivorman is actually intended to inform you on how to save yourself.

Doesn't annoy you how "Bear" always has a questionable story about some dehydrated girl scout or some guy that died half a mile from the road.Its like he is holding up a huge "Applause Now"sign, except its more like a shriek now sign.

In closing I enjoy both shows.I can enjoy Man vs. Wild because I can admit to myself it is just another scripted show.I enjoy Survivorman more because he is just so miserable most of the time and when he does a long walk away shot he has to come back for camera and some times he doesn't and I find that hilarious.I admittedly might be a crazy person.

moonlightannee

[43]Nov 16, 2007
    No way is Man vs. Wild scripted. The show is real, the camera crew can only step in if it's life or death for Bear. The same goes for Les Stroud. Who else would parachute into the Sahara Desert and tell you how to find water and what to eat and not to eat? He tells you how to find your direction, north, south, east and west. The show is awesome, the man keeps moving and most importantly, he doesn't sit and whine like Les!

Smokin32

[44]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 9

Ummmm no way its scripted? These are just the things that they admited or were caught on.

_In the Everglades episode, Bear admits that the crew helped him build his shelter.

_In the Iceland episode, Bear admits that the dead sheep was left by a local farmer so that he could use it for a demonstration.

_In the Mexico episode, Bear admits that he used climbing equipment during a climb, and that the trout he caught was placed there by the crew.

_In the Scotland episode, Bear admits that the rabbit was placed there by the crew. In the Sierra Nevada episode, Bear admits that the crew helped him build a raft.

_In the Alaska episode, Bear admits that a crewman caught the salmon he ate as well as having the boat which rescues him at the end as being 'sent' to pick him up. In the Australia episode, Bear says that he did not spend the night out in the thunderstorm.

_In the Australia episode, Bear does not eat the python.

Also...

_life-vest that was hidden and used to ride the white rapids.

_Some horses that were brought in for visual effects and scripted narriation.

_The lava bridge being close to a highway and by defualt one of many locations that was driven to and shot.

Man VS Wild takes weeks to film and edited to make believe Bear got out in a few day. These locations are scouted and prepared for planned events and the best shots. Though they try and make it seem like its the same show, youll notice that after they where busted, its no longer about a show where Bear has to survive and get out, instead, its about getting faried to "challenges".

lennydonkey

[45]Dec 2, 2007
    • level: 12
    Smokin32 wrote:

Ummmm no way its scripted? These are just the things that they admited or were caught on.

_In the Everglades episode, Bear admits that the crew helped him build his shelter.

_In the Iceland episode, Bear admits that the dead sheep was left by a local farmer so that he could use it for a demonstration.

_In the Mexico episode, Bear admits that he used climbing equipment during a climb, and that the trout he caught was placed there by the crew.

_In the Scotland episode, Bear admits that the rabbit was placed there by the crew. In the Sierra Nevada episode, Bear admits that the crew helped him build a raft.

_In the Alaska episode, Bear admits that a crewman caught the salmon he ate as well as having the boat which rescues him at the end as being 'sent' to pick him up. In the Australia episode, Bear says that he did not spend the night out in the thunderstorm.

Also...

_The lava bridge being close to a highway and by defualt one of many locations that was driven to and shot.

Man VS Wild takes weeks to film and edited to make believe Bear got out in a few day. These locations are scouted and prepared for planned events and the best shots. Though they try and make it seem like its the same show, youll notice that after they where busted, its no longer about a show where Bear has to survive and get out, instead, its about getting faried to "challenges".

That's a lot of specific alligations to make. Can you cite a source or a link for those?

Personally I prefer Survivorman to MvW. But I still like Man vs Wild a lot, even if I think the reason Bear can take so many more risks and do more crazy things is because he's never truely alone.

Smokin32

[46]Dec 3, 2007
    They arnt alligations, thats just what was admitted by Bear in his own site, the producers and crew of the show. If thats the stuff they admit to, I garentee that theres alot more thats stuff thats been hushed.

Sources are _Wiki, _UK Channel 4's investigative findings, _YouTube has some funny fraud outakes, and _Bear's own site. Just google Bear and Fraud and visit Youtube to laught a lil.

I just watched my first surviorman episode yesterday. That guy rocks, but what I found most entertaining was how he is Bear's inspiration for diolouge. Les is out the alone talking about how he feels all alone and this and that goes through his mind ect ect ect, .... and then I remember thats the same **** Bear says, except that guy has a crew around him, spends nights in hotels and is clearly not alone, lol.

Smokin32

[47]Dec 3, 2007
    http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/bearwiki/Edited_show_revelations

Thats a good site showing the amount of editing thats been done on The show to eliminate alot of the BS.

lennydonkey

[48]Dec 5, 2007
    Smokin32 wrote:
    http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/bearwiki/Edited_show_revelations

Thats a good site showing the amount of editing thats been done on The show to eliminate alot of the BS.

Thanks for the link. I know the show has a disclaimer now and had been re-edited for reruns, but I hadn't realized just how extensive the re-editing was. Wow.

Smokin32

[49]Dec 5, 2007
    I didnt realize it either to be honest, I knew alot had been staged, I didnt realize that every shot and every min of the show was scripted and planned just like any sitcom is.

I admit I got caught up looking at that site. They have an "evidence" section where proof of BS is posted. I was shaking my head for a while after that. I feel stupid for falling for so much of it.

moonlightannee

[50]Dec 23, 2007
    Smokin32 wrote:

Also...

How is that scripted? Les doesn't even build shelters half the time and then whines about it. His big to do is carrying the camera equipment so you can get sea sick watching him. Excuse me, just sick.

benzslr722

[51]Feb 10, 2008
    • level: 19
    Man vs. Wild

sharethelove01

[52]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 8

I like man vs wild best. The surviverman guy bugs me. What if he was injured badly, he wouldnt have help and Bear has a nice torso (though it has nothing to do with choosing...i think).

fakesandy

[53]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 1
    Survivor man is ok, it just seems like he's always droning on about the weather. Man vs. Wild is almost always exciting. I'd take my chances with Bear if I were stranded in the wild.

fakesandy

[54]Mar 21, 2008
    Yeah, Man vs. Wild, hands down. I think the should air a special episode, drop them both in the same remote place and document them both to see who adapts and performs the best.

lennydonkey

[55]Mar 25, 2008

fakesandy wrote:
    Yeah, Man vs. Wild, hands down. I think the should air a special episode, drop them both in the same remote place and document them both to see who adapts and performs the best.

Would Bear's crew be allowed to jump in ahead of him to build his shelters and catch his food?

NickBe

[56]May 17, 2008

Of course everybody is going to say Man Vs. Wild is better on a Man Vs. Wild board!

The fact is that Survivorman is reality and Man Vs. Wild is fantasy. We all know it is scripted and all the stunts are performed safely with 20 guys behind him including stunt coordinators. If you like a show that stimulates the mind and teaches you something Surviorman is great, if you like fake stunts and scripted shows Man Vs. Wild is for you. I like both but for me Surviorman is the clear winner. It is all real, and I get to learn some useful stuff. If I ever get stuck in the wild I will remember all the survivor man episodes.

I wouldn't as Bear suggests jump into a raging river with a plastic bag filled with air to keep me afloat. I wouldn't climb down waterfalls when going around would probably keep me alive. Maybe Survivorman can be slightly dull at times but it's real, that's what survival is. Survival isn't about taking stupid risks that look great on television. Sorry but I do not want to spend 3 days at the bottom of a cliff with two broken legs slowly dying because of Bears advice. I rather eat a few scorpions, set up some water stills, and make my way around that cliff following Les Strouds advice.

Oh and to the guy who said Bear eats bugs and Les only complains about them......... actully watch the show before you open your mouth. Les eats bugs in atleast half the episodes.
    Edited on 05/17/2008 12:13am

IloveJTT14

[57]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 2
    I've got to say that I like Surviorman better. He's more on his own, and if you really check out Bear, he gets A LOT of help from his crew with catching food and building shelters. Plus, I personally can't watch a show without humor, and Les wins for that. Bear is sort of lame, and Les has a dry, sarcastic wit.

tonicito380

[58]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 7

Survivorman is by far more realistic than Man Vs Wild. I watch a behind the scenes for Man Vs Wild, I counted 7 crew members, one scene when he was supposed to climb down a 30 foot cliff using nothing but "jungle vines", on the wide shot it was clearly obvious that he had a safety line and a crew member what easing him down. Man Vs Wild is definitely entertaining, but to think that it is 100% unscripted is plain ignorant. If you want to "learn" how to get by in a rough situation, watch survivorman, if you want to learn how to get yourself in trouble, watch Man Vs. Wild.

dirtydog1992

[59]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 5
    Survivorman is scripted in the sense that they scout out the locations beforehand, he knows where to go in order to find what he needs while he is out there due to scouting it out beforehand, and he is showed some of the native skills before by the natives before he goes out. But, he is completely alone when he is out, what he shows you is very real and what you would see if you were in a survival situation, what you see is what is being done (there are no special camera positioning effects to hide crew members and the actual distance between objects.) When the screen says 8 hours later you can believe that he had been going for 8 hours.

dirtydog1992

[60]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 5
    moonlightannee wrote:
    No way is Man vs. Wild scripted. The show is real, the camera crew can only step in if it's life or death for Bear. The same goes for Les Stroud. Who else would parachute into the Sahara Desert and tell you how to find water and what to eat and not to eat? He tells you how to find your direction, north, south, east and west. The show is awesome, the man keeps moving and most importantly, he doesn't sit and whine like Les!

The reason Bear Grylls doesn't sit around is because he isn't really surviving. He has a nice place to go sleep during the night and a reliable camera/safety crew sitting behind the cameras. He is basically running through everything. Man vs. Wild would be a good teacher for surviving about a day (maybe two) but if you are going to be stuck out in the wilderness for more than 3 days than his tactics aren't going to cut it because he doesn't show you enough of the fundamentals and basics of survival (like building a shelter and ways you can catch your food) for you to survive with as little pain and discomfort as possible.