Man vs. Wild Forums

Discovery Channel (ended 2011)

Man vs. Wild vs. Survivorman

dirtydog1992

[61]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 5
    lennydonkey wrote:

fakesandy wrote:
    Yeah, Man vs. Wild, hands down. I think the should air a special episode, drop them both in the same remote place and document them both to see who adapts and performs the best.

Would Bear's crew be allowed to jump in ahead of him to build his shelters and catch his food?

Either way Les would show you how you should do it and would probably be in more of the footage.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Pikachu_2121

[62]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 20
    Man vs Wild

PanxXll

[63]Aug 27, 2009
    • level: 1
    man vs wild kicks survivorman ass. les is a crybaby and has emotional issues, which is why he has to carry that dumb harmonica around everywhere he goes. besides you can watch man vs wild episodes for free online: http://www.manvswildepisodes.com
    Edited on 08/27/2009 11:24am
    Edited 2 total times.

PanxXll

[64]Dec 13, 2009

ilovemyDVR wrote:
    I don't understand how people compare the two at all, the shows are so completely different. Les shows you how he is trying to survive extreme situations and what not to do and what to avoid. While bear gets down deep in things that you should avoid to show you how you could get out of it (if you were ever in that situation) They are both great shows but soooo different.

i think you hit the nail right on the head.

the big difference i've noticed after watching every survivorman and is that when u watch survivorman you have to put up with les's awful harmonica and him complaining about how he's alone and has to carry the camera equipment around with him. it makes it much easier to watch man vs wild imho

xwengstax

[65]Jan 12, 2010
    les' harmonica is great. it's a nice break sometimes from the vastness of the wild, being lost and alone. and he's not complaining about the fact that he's alone or that he has to carry all of his camera equipment but he wants the audience to know that survival is made harder because of these things and it's not something you have to deal with if you ever get lost. Loneliness and boredom are things you will face in these situations and if you don't talk about it and offer solutions to them, theres no way you'll learn from it if one day you truly are lost somewhere. sometimes my head hurts from reading TV.com user comments. i'm not saying yours in particular was stupid but i've read so many other ones that its astonishing how many idiots out there that are able to turn on their computer, go online, register for an account and post their thoughts. opinions aside, most of them make no sense at all.

cnc_theft_auto

[66]Jun 5, 2010

I have seen both, but I rather Man Vs. Wild. Bear puts himself into the worst case scenario (no pun intended) and shows you how to get out of it if it happens to you, whereas Les puts himself into their shoes, they've got a broken down bike and a handful of cashews, or they've got a wrecked canoe and a couple of pens.

dannyjr77

[67]Apr 14, 2011
    drizzts_death wrote:
    Bear used to be in the British SAS not the navy.The SAS is probably one of the most hardcore Special Forces units in the world. I've read a couple of biographies of some Australian SAS in Vietnam and those guys were crazy survivors, plus they had a kill ratio of 500:1 which can't be a bad thing.

he was in the navy too, bud

icdrunkpeople

[68]Dec 9, 2011

Bear always goes in with a camera crew. Now an average sized crew is what? 2 or 3 camera men/women. Then you have the guy who holds the microphone over the shot. Then there is the producer telling him what shots he has to be in for the show. Then you have techinal support and aids who help them all. If you add it all up it makes for alot of people in 1 spot. All those people don't fit in Bears lil makeshift leantwos. SO. that means tents, trailers, £ after agonizing pound of camera and audio equipmentwhich i'm sure goes mounted on an all terrain vechicle. Bear is never exposed to the trueset form of breakdown one could experience in a survivol sitiuation. BEING ALONE, BEING SCARED. All those shots of him eating something gross is just a ploy for the cameras. I am sure that after the shot he goes and brushes his teeth and gargles his mouth. With all those supporting people there NOONE can tell me that they all don't break out a huge bombfire at nighht with food and drink. So with all of this happening 10 feet away from POOR LIL BEAR who can honestly say he wouldn't take part in it. I am willing to bet that he crawls outta his nice warm tent and sleepingbag every morning and through the powers of hair and makeup BOOM outta the makeshift leantwo crawls a cold and starving BEAR just in time for the morning shoot.

Les is a true survivor. He carrys all his own gear. he starts fires using every mens known to him. ( and not with a conveniant flint). He has to walk climb jump & risk it all 2 and 3 times just so he gets the right shot. OHHH. AND HE'S COMPLETLY ALONE. He shows people all diff. ways to build shelters. (some of which i myself don't always agree). He has a vast knowledge of native plants shrubs berries and animals that are edible and safe. (and yes i know he learns it from an expert on the area before the show). Les don't have all these fancy shots that Bear has of jumping over gorges and pole vaulting over 20 ft drops but then again if yr all ALONE you would'nt want to take such FOOLISH risks given the fact that in a REAL survival situation one such stupid move could mean the end of yr LIFE.

T.V has a main goal of puling the wool over peoples eyes and they have done a remarkable job portraying BEAR as a true survivalist. He is more like a weekend warrior who is willing to take all the risks cuz it's been all plan out for him by the supporting crew he always has with him. He knows that if something goes wrong,help is a heli ride away.