Man vs. Wild Forums

Discovery Channel (ended 2011)

Well Done & Well Done!

riddles81

[1]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 7

I'd like to "thank" everyone who thought it necessary to voice their "Concerns" about the validity of the various stunts in this show. Surely it is obvious that this man was never going to risk his life climbing down a mountain or waterfall without a harness just for a TV show.

This show is and always was intended to be a bit of a dramatised 'How To' for survival in some of the worlds most inhospitable places. It was never supposed to be another in the string of reality shows where video crews just film what's going on. All these pathetic complaints have achieved is to ruin a perfectly interesting show for those who watched it for what it is.

As for the discovery channel, I am disappointed that you have bowed to this kind of nit-picking.

Having said this I still look forward to the next series to see what Bear has in store for us. Great show, well done!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lennydonkey

[2]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 12
    riddles81 wrote:

Surely it is obvious that this man was never going to risk his life climbing down a mountain or waterfall without a harness just for a TV show.

This is being widely discussed in a few other threads so I'm not sure why a new one was necessary.

But it definitely wasn't "obvious" because in the original broadcasts before the re-edits he specifically states he's not using safety equipment or outside aid.

riddles81

[3]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 7
    lennydonkey wrote:
    riddles81 wrote:

Surely it is obvious that this man was never going to risk his life climbing down a mountain or waterfall without a harness just for a TV show.

This is being widely discussed in a few other threads so I'm not sure why a new one was necessary.

But it definitely wasn't "obvious" because in the original broadcasts before the re-edits he specifically states he's not using safety equipment or outside aid.

Ok "Obvious" may be a bit strong but can we honestly say we believed him when he said completely unaided. It just doesn't make sense for him to risk his life for the sake of a TV show, especially given he has a wife and child.

Just makes me angry that everyone just can't except this show for what it is.

Smokin32

[4]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 9
    Well, you are probably under the assumption that the only "lieing" was where saftey concerns exsisted which is just not the case. If it were only about making sure that Ed didnt die, then I doubt anyone would ever have a problem. But the whole show was staged and faked, not "just for safety". Lets just assume that nobody has any issue with him using ropes and saftey lines. That still leaves the rest of the show which was staged. Catching animals was staged, eating animals was staged, starting fires was staged, building shelters was staged, and being able to find civilization on his own was staged. The whole show was premised that this guy would show you "how he was able to survive" but its really not doing that. All real survival expert are warning people not to take this guy seriously, even the ones hired by the show itself. If this was a show just for entertainment value, then thats how they should present it and not try to convince the public otherwise.

somedude2007

[5]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 2
    I know this is getting very old now but come on. I thought the premise was bear would show you "what you can do to survive in a bad situation." From watching the first episode(and on) i never got the impression that this guy would be risking his life to "show" people what situations might present themselves. Seriously that would make him stupid and anyone backing the program to if they risked his life. Situations are obviously set up to show you what you "might" do. Common sense people. I suppose the naysayers would only be happy if he was alone and having to risk his life and health just for a single tv episode, but then they'd probably be upset with the editing to fit it in 1hr would dramatize the whole event. IT's TV people!!

Smokin32

[6]Mar 5, 2008
    Oh comeone, thats wishful thinking. The premise of the show was ALWAYS, "Im getting dropped off in the middle of nowwhere, I dont know where I am, I only have a bottle a knife, and I will survive and find civilization." They even when to great lenths to push that in interviews, blogs,news, ect. He even has elaborate stories about how his camera men cant help him, and even a story when he wore a lifejacket broke, he claimed, "that was the only time I had help, and I put my foot down and that was it." If the show seems honest, its only becase the lies were edited out, that it. Commmon sense would be to demand this guy at least apologize for the deception. Also please, stop saying "he isnt going to risk his life, he has a wife and children." Noobody is upset he is being safe, being safe and being smart has NOTHING to do with what people are upset about, its deception, and its fraud plain and simple.

lordvader86

[7]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 8
    All I know is I don't care and am sick of this discussion. I love the show and will continue to watch it.

You have to admit thought that it does provide useful info.

lennydonkey

[8]Mar 6, 2008
    • level: 12

somedude2007 wrote:
    i never got the impression that this guy would be risking his life to "show" people what situations might present themselves. Seriously that would make him stupid and anyone backing the program to if they risked his life. Situations are obviously set up to show you what you "might" do.

Out of curiosity did you start watching before of after the re-edits? It's totally reasonable to think he wasn't risking his life just for tv so I won't fault someone for assuming he had aid there. But what isn't so easy to explain away is when he said things like: I built this raft, I caught this animal, I built this shelter, etc. When he presented info like that I certainly didn't assume he was lying because it's "just TV."

somedude2007 wrote:
    I suppose the naysayers would only be happy if he was alone and having to risk his life and health just for a single tv episode

If you want to see that show it's called "Survivorman"

Smokin32

[9]Mar 7, 2008
    Good, have fun watching it!

As for admiting it has good, helpful info.... when its mixed in with the bad and dangerous advice, helpful is very subjective. Someone may be able to eat this nasty thing or that nasty thing, but die as they try and go through obsticals or worse.

RedHawk4

[10]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 15
    "The whole show was premised that this guy would show you 'how he was able to survive' but its really not doing that." (QUOTED)

Yes, it really is. The whole point of show (and what is often said by Bear) is "I'm going to show you how to survive." I know that some (or more) of it is fake, but he still is giving real-life survival advice.