Manimal

NBC (ended 1983)

Manimal Fan Reviews (10)

• This is simply a dreadfully bad show. Acting, writing, and special effects are all painfully bad.

I remember when this show premiered back in 1983. At the time there was a bit of a trend of stories about humans who turned into animals, and there was actually a lot of hype surrounding this show's debut.

I was 9 years old and certainly tuned in on the first night. At the time, I thought it was pretty cool and developed a picture in my mind of what the show looked like. I especially had created an image of what the guys animal transformations were like.

Over the years, I must have embellished my memory a bit, because recently I finally managed to get my hands on a VHS copy of the show to finally see it one more time.

Unfortunatly, I discovered that the show is actually horrendously bad. So bad, that most of us in the room watching it were laughing at its ineptness.

On just about every level the show was a disappointment. Acting, and writing were especially bad. But even the animal transformation scenes, which I had remembered being pretty cool, were just horrible. Even by the standards of when they were done, the special effects were bad. Not only bad from a technical standpoint, but bad from an artistic standpoint as well.

Its an ugly trainwreck of a show. Without a doubt, there are others like me who have a nice memory of this show. Hunt it down if you must, but be prepared to find a show that is much worse than your childhood memories would lead you to believe.