Marmalade Boy

A&E (ended 1995)

Alia53248

Marmalade Boy Fan Reviews (14)

• One of my favourite!

Even if the anime story is very different from the manga, Marmalade Boy is still today one of my favourite anime. It is a very beautiful story about a young couple and their love. Also the others characters are really interesting and in the end you become affectionate to them, so much that you don't really want the show to end. The colors used are wonderful and the lines of the draws are clear and precise. In every single episode something big and important happens, and so the whole story goes on very wickly, but at the same time everything is explained very good and in a simple and also funny way. Incredible and wonderful anime.
  • The colors are washed out, the animation is dated, the storyline is a bit strange and yet it's utterly addictive. Every episode ends on a cliffhanger and it's nearly impossible to resist watching the next one.

There is A LOT of drama in this show. The show is primarily about Miki, a typical high school student, who must choose between Ginta, her old crush, and Yuu, the new boy in her life. With love and support from her friend Meiko, a smart, beautiful girl caught up in an affair with one of her teachers, she finally chooses the boy of her dreams. The drama first starts with her parent's desire to divorce and shack up with another couple after an interesting Hawaiian vacation adventure. She meets Yuu, the son of the other couple, and becomes captivated by him; I guess you could say he's her stepbrother. They all live in the same house, and occasionally the parents go away on vacation leaving the kids to…fend for themselves. There are a bunch of characters that create crazy love triangles: Arimi is obsessed with Yuu who kissed Miki who can't decide between Yuu and Ginta. Ginta likes Miki but is dating Arimi to get her jealous. Tsutomu is infatuated with Arimi and fights with Ginta all the time. Meanwhile Satoshi is interested in Meiko who is in love with Mr. Namura who broke it off and says he's dating Ryoko, a teacher at Meiko's high school. There's some forceful kissing, a lot of running and then there are suspicions that Yuu and Satoshi may be a couple…

Overall, it's a fun story with memorable characters.
  • i was only a year old when it premiered.

I have read all of the books and it was really good, and i bet the eight books would be even better if they were on television every day. I would watch the shows over and over , again and again. In no time it might be a very popular show for teens to watch, and it would make a lot of money off of the sales of the movies, and the books would always be checked out from the library and teens might start buying the books from the bookstores. Please, Please, Please, Please bring it back so everyone can see it.
  • As good as the manga.

Marmalade Boy is based of the manga by the same name, and it's one of those few anime that's as good as the manga if not better.

The story follows to teenagers, Miku and Yuu. The become connected when both their parents get a divorce and they marry each others husbands and wifes, which freaks Miku out. Miku likes Yuu and begins to fall for him, her parents warn her not to fall in love with him, but she does. The strange love story goes on from there.

Now for my review. The story I'd give 9/10, the story was great, the only problem I had with it was it went on forever. Did they really need to do that Yuu going to the United States arc, I don't think so. The characters I would give a 10/10. They were interesting, fun and you generally care about what happens to them. The animation I would give a 9, I thought they could have done a little better, though it was still great. The music was also a 8/10, not great but very good. Overall I'd give it a 9/10 for a great anime, not a classic but a great romance anime.
  • This girl named Miki has to live with all FOUR of her parents when they decide to divorce and get re-married to another divorced couple. Miki meets Yuu, the other couples son. Many break ups and get togethers occur in this series.

I have watched every single episode to this anime. It has a GREAT story line and there's some humor in it. My favorite episode is episode 25, the episode Miki and Yuu finally get their real kiss. The movie was pretty good too. I watched the movie after I watched the series, but i should have watched it after the first two episodes. I think it's pretty cool how Yuu already knew her and actually stared to like her BEFORE he even knew who she was. He DID go over a bit with the stalking thing in the movie, though. I wish they make another show like this, mabye another season of it, even though it ending a few years ago. I just thought it was a GREAT show. How it would make you sd then mad then happy ALL in one episode. I watched the whole show on you tube, sometimes On Demand. Once again, people who REALLY like drama, WATCH THIS.
  • Miki is a average high school student until her parents meet back with their high-school sweethearts during a Hawaiian vacation. They decide that the best way to make up for lost time is to switch spouses,divorce and remarry. But for Miki who hates these.

These show is better every season for it's show a love triangles in this series, as Arimi is still in love with Yuu,Ginta still loves Miki,and Rocktunda loves Arimi more than anything. A show also which brings plan of their parents to living all together in one big house and Miki reluctantly gives them a permission. I like in these show is Miki who is falling in love with Yuu,the other couple's son. The thing makes me also suprise and hug my pillows while watching is when Yuu kisses her while she is pretending to be asleep in the nurse's room. In contrary, these show is awesome getting better every season for Miki is knowing what Yuu is true feeling about her? A awesome show and getting better every episode the best.
  • This is one of the greatest anime comedy/love story ever.

Miki's ordinary life is turned upside-down when her parents suddenly announce that they are getting divorced in order to swap partners with a couple they met in Hawaii. They seek her approval of the change, telling her that they have arranged a dinner to meet the other couple, as well as their son who is about her age. At dinner, the adults share their plans of living all together in one big house and Miki reluctantly gives them permission. The other couple's son, Yuu, turns out to be fun and attractive, and Miki finds herself falling for him. Of course, it doesn't help matters when Yuu kisses her while she is pretending to be asleep in the nurses room at school. Little by little, Miki accepts her new family arrangement. At school, a long time classmate and former crush of Miki's, named Ginta, becomes jealous of Miki's new 'friend' and decides to try and gain her affections. He kisses Miki unexpectedly, for which he gets slapped. When Ginta later admits to Miki that he has loved her for years, and that his earlier rejection of her was a misunderstanding, Miki struggles between which of the two she wants to be with. Ginta tries to force Miki to choose between himself and Yuu. After a bit of indecision, Miki chooses Yuu. Yuu shares that he was the child of his mother and some man other than his father. Miki sympathizes with him and the two become boyfriend and girlfriend. As the series progresses Miki becomes very attached to Yuu...so much so that she is jealous whenever she sees another girl with him. It makes matters worse when his old girlfriend, Arimi, will do anything to get Yuu back. However, Miki has no reason to be jealous because Yuu is totally devoted to her. Meanwhile, Miki's best friend, Meiko is dealing with her own problems. She is seeing one of the teachers, who is affectionately referred to by the students as Na-chan. She loves him very much, but dating a teacher is taboo, and when they are caught, Na-chan resigns his position and leaves for Hiroshima. Meiko is depressed, but is encouraged by one of the seniors at school who likes her to write a story, and she ends up acclaimed as an author. After much hardship, her and Na-chan end up together again though. Miki later gets a part time job in order to help fund a trip with Yuu and one of her coworkers, Kei-kun, falls for her and tries to win her affections. At the same time, a cute model is trying to steal Yuu away from Miki. Yuu and Miki fight briefly, however, the two overcome all obstacles to stay together. As a result, their love for one another only grows stronger. Unexpectedly, Miki discovers that a transfer student from America, Michael, will be living with them for a while. He is attractive, and all the girls chase after him, however, he seems attached to Miki. Yuu suddenly decides to go to America to study architecture as an exchange student. Miki misses him terribly, and on top of that, she is pursued by both Kei-kun and Michael. Due to a misunderstanding, Miki is led to believe that Yuu is cheating on her. She flies to New York and the situation only gets worse. She decides that she is too lonely, and has turned into an awful person while having to wait for Yuu, so she breaks up with him. Back in Japan, Kei-kun and Michael force Miki to choose between them and she reluctantly starts dating Kei-kun. He treats her well and she is happy, but she still can't forget Yuu and feels lonely somehow. Yuu comes back to Japan for summer vacation and Miki is even more troubled. She cries when Kei-kun is about to kiss her, then tells him she is sorry. She runs off and makes up with Yuu. Back together again, their happiness is cut short when Yuu finds evidence that leads him to believe Miki is actually his sister. He breaks up with her and goes back to New York. Sad and unable to forget Yuu, Miki goes to New York to confront Yuu and he tells her she is his sister and they can't be together. Upset, Miki runs off and gets lost in Manhattan. She is bullied by a gang, but Yuu shows up and saves her just in time. The two decide that their love is too strong, and that even if they are siblings, they want to be together. At the airport, the rest of the family shows up because they were worried about Miki. Miki and Yuu confront their parents for not telling them they were siblings in the first place. The adults burst out laughing as they tell the couple that they have mistaken the situation and that they are not siblings after all. Yuu is really his fathers son, not another man's. The two are relieved and happy. Meiko marries Na-chan. They all live happily ever after...
  • only read the manga but...

I have only read the manga, but I absolutely loved it!! While I was reading it, I couldn't set it down, and I wanted Miki and Yuu together all along!! *squeals*
    (this is a shojou, just to remind all...) but, just from what **** described in her manga, Marmalade Boy was probably just as awesome as an anime. (she told of how they changed the characters for the show and how they changed what they looked like and such...)
    I'm guessing they had filler shows with Yuu going to america too, didn't it???
    So to top it off, I love Marmalade boy to death and I wished it could have been longer!!
  • i havent seen it so i dont no what to put here, i loved the books though!

I actually havent seen the show but i would really like to see it, i read the book series and i loved it. i would like to download the shows to my computer and ipod. i absolutly fell in love with the books and want to see them on tv.i cant wait for your response and for it too be on here so i can download it. my bestest friend want to see it too, but we couldnt figture out how to get it so i seen this and signed up being hopeful but it wasnt in here so we are going to wait for you to add it. Yaya me (sorry) any ways, Amanda!
  • This show is perfect!! Perfect for teens!! Miki and Yuu and Miki forevuh!!

I love this show!

When i first watched it...i fell in love wid it>
    I think Yuu and Miki make a fabulosa coupleee!
    Yuu is hawtt, arrogantly cute, and jez plain popular and smart and athletic.
    Miki is pretty, smartly cute, sometimes nicely clueless, popular and athletic too..

perfect couple the are!!!!

Oh my gosh!!

I went looking for a dvd for marmalade boy!!

Wen I told my cousin about it....She also fell in love!!

We both watch it at youtube everyday!!
    people who hates this show are insane....

Yuu and Miki are like Ryuhou and Mimori
    Ryuhou is quiet and arrogant but hawtt like Yuu!

Mimori is pretty and perky and alweyz want to help like MIki!!
  • This is one old-school girly anime!

Storyline: It's mainly about high school relationships. Miki's life is turned upside down when her parents decide to switch partners with another parents, and they all move into a big house. On top of that, the new family's son, Yuu aka Marmalade Boy, starts goint to her school, and this results in a set of love triangles, or rectangles, or, well you get the picture. Most of the story is told from Miki's perspective, with lots of inner voices as she ponders through her relationships. Having the main characters involved in the tennis club is a nice difference from the "we just interact in the classroom and school festivals" romantic comedy/drama model, although there's plenty of that too. The side stories are nice and everything seems to have a decent pace in drawing out the series.

Voice acting: Michelle Ruff does a great job sounding out Miki, making her cute yet still a thinking teenager that we can sympathize with. Some of the supporting characters sound like surfer dudes.

Artwork: Characters are drawn realistically except for the huge anime eyes and the relatively small heads. There's regular use of anime characteristics like the big mouths but not over the top with other TokyoPop offerings like Cardcaptor Sakura. Mustang from Full Metal Alchemist would not approve of the lack of "tiny miniskirts".

Music and Presentation: Even though the anime was from 1994, the music and appearance of everything is so 1980's that you wonder why they would bother updating anything. When the episode is about to conclude, some major plot advancer happens and the cued music theme starts playing.

Not bad for one of the most popular shojo animes around!
  • Want an anime that's like real life?Well,you've found it!*MB* is about real people with real probs,including two teens,whose parents divorce and switch spouses with one another...and,that's just the start of the craziness of Wataru Yoshizumi's great *Marm

Imagine how you'd feel if your mother & father suddenly switched spouses with thier high-school sweethearts,and divorced then remarried.
    Now,imagine that you're Koishikawa Miki and that this adds the great addition of Matsuura Yuu,smart,gorgeous,and blonde to your usually mundane life.Now,that spices up the deal quite a bit,doesn't it?
    But,then you find out that your closest friend,Akizuki Meiko,is secretly sleeping with your teacher,Namura-sensei.Well,the secret is out!So,he gets fired,but Meiko never gets to say goodbye.But,don't worry,they do marry at the end of the series.
    Then,Yuu,who's now your boyfriend,goes overseas to New York,and is constantly chased by a blonde who's the epitome of CALIFORNIA GIRLS,Jenny,so you're worried.
    Could YOU live the life of KOISHIKAWA MIKI?!?