Tuesday 10:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 20, 2016)

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returns this week with its first new episode since it dropped the bombshell that Skye might not be from this world. It's true that I've spent my fair share of time harping on what S.H.I.E.L.D. has done wrong in the first half of its debut season, but to be fair, it's also done quite a bit right. And now that we're about halfway through, we thought now would be a good time to compile a mid-season report card of sorts. Here's what the show's doing right, and here's what it needs to work on going forward. 

3 THINGS S.H.I.E.L.D. IS DOING RIGHT

1. FitzSimmons

The Geek is one of the most common character archetypes in television and movies. Geeks are present in several genres, but they're probably most prevalent in procedurals that involve even the slightest bit of science-ing. Skye and Coulson might be the de facto leads of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s rag-tag group, but FitzSimmons are the glue that holds everyone together, and there's a very good reason for that. Geek characters are, by definition, eccentric and brilliant, and they're often used as comic relief. But they're also usually sequestered in a lab, tasked with solving various problems while tucked safely behind their tests and theories. They usually have no "field" training, so if and when they're removed from the lab environment, things generally go one of two ways: Either they become fish out of water, infusing some humor into just about any scene—like when Fitz accompanied Agent Ward on a mission in "The Hub," and his lack of field smarts brought a certain lightheartedness to what was supposed to be a dangerous situation—or they serve as the helpless victim who must be saved by the properly trained agents. But no matter what, geek characters typically play on viewers' emotions and serve as an audience gateway into a show's world. S.H.I.E.L.D. has used FitzSimmons quite successfully to add emotion and humor, and they're the show's most naturally developed characters by far. 

2. Humor

S.H.I.E.L.D. is a series based in the realm of comic books, and while it certainly doesn't have to be funny—some comics simply aren't built that way—it sure helps that it knows how to tell a joke. The only downfall to using humor in a series like this one is that humor is very subjective. There will always be viewers who don't find something funny, but if S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't want to go dark and dramatic (which is actually something I'd support), mixing in some funny moments is the next best thing. I find FitzSimmons to be the series' most amusing characters because of their natural tendency to bicker, but Skye is equally likely to be quick with a sarcastic quip. And the jokes really fly when two characters who aren't usually paired together share in a scene, like Skye and Simmons or Ward and Fitz. S.H.I.E.L.D.'s running joke about Simmons being a horrible liar when she's trying to go undercover is a simple one, but the contrast of Simmons' good girl nature and Skye's disregard for authority make them a great team.

3. Integrating known comic characters like Graviton, Blizzard, etc.

A TV show is only as strong as its characters, and while I get that S.H.I.E.L.D.'s entire premise is that it's a more accessible, "common man" comic series, it still needs recognizable heroes and villains to succeed. And even though the members of Coulson's special team have yet to fight any real, true villains (outside of the Centipede storyline; I'll get to that in a moment), S.H.I.E.L.D. has already told the origin stories of a few Marvel villains, and we're confident there are more to come. Sure, they have yet to amount to anything more than just a run-of-the-mill standalone threat, but they at least hint at possible future dangers, all while letting us see the role S.H.I.E.L.D. sometimes plays in the creation of the villains they might face in the future. And if nothing else, they help to expand the Marvel Universe so our S.H.I.E.L.D. team feels more grounded in the comic book world.

3 THINGS S.H.I.E.L.D. IS DOING WRONG

1. Danger? What danger?

Perhaps the series' biggest problem is its lack of any real stakes. During any given episode, we know that everything will be okay by the end of the hour, because that's just the type of series S.H.I.E.L.D. is, but how are we supposed to be invested in a storyline that doesn't make our hearts race? How are we supposed to care about a character's struggles if the answer always involves a last-minute save by the rest of the team? S.H.I.E.L.D.'s best episode to date is probably "F.Z.Z.T" because it put Simmons' life on the line as a result of the Chitauri virus, and despite the fact that we knew she probably wouldn't die, the episode manipulated our emotions by erasing all other options and making it seem like there really was no way out. That's the kind of story that makes viewers care about characters; that's the kind of story that makes us want to stick around to see the outcome of the third act each week. If S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't incorporate danger that feels believable, the series will be no different than a Saturday-morning kids' show. As viewers, we need to experience some anxiety so we don't feel like we're watching a show aimed exclusively at eight-year-olds.

2. Flat characters 

In S.H.I.E.L.D.'s defense, it has attempted to flesh out its core group of characters. But that's where the defending ends, because most of those attempts have been pretty halfhearted, and some of them have seemingly disappeared immediately, like Ward's jerky brothers in "The Well." Doling out tiny snippets of information regarding his life hasn't made his past any more compelling, especially because his past appears to be cliched and boring. Elsewhere in the group, the traumatic mission that left Agent May stunted and eternally pissed off is still too vague and mysterious to qualify as interesting. And all we know about what really happened to Coulson is that he had his brain rewired. S.H.I.E.L.D.'s more recent attempts to add some shading to Skye and to break her "outsider" mold are a good start, but she still needs work as a character. Of course, Skye may be on the up and up with the big reveal that she was an 0-8-4, but based on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s past transgressions, I'm worried Skye's past won't even come up again for weeks. So far, the only progress that feels real has come from the show's subtle hints toward FitzSimmons' history, but even then, we still don't know all that much about them. 

3. Overarching story and pacing

Probably my biggest complaint about S.H.I.E.L.D. has to do with its treatment of its serialized storylines. I'll gladly acknowledge the fact that the series is in its first season, and that it needed time to establish itself before diving into heavy mythology—especially for the non-comics people in the audience. But the time has come for S.H.I.E.L.D. to improve the connections between its standalone installments and those that tackle ongoing plot threads. The reason why the episodes featuring Centipede and other overarching plots tend to be better than the one-offs is that they feel more important, like a piece of a puzzle that actually matters—basically, they're the edge pieces, the ones that frame everything that takes place in middle. Having one Centipede episode for every four or five filler episodes stunts the story progression kills the show's forward momentum. Now that we're entering the second half of the season, S.H.I.E.L.D. needs to make a real effort to weave ongoing plot threads into each episode, regardless of whether or not the A-story focuses on Centipede and the use of Extremis. It'll help the storylines mesh, and keep things moving forward. 

WHAT S.H.I.E.L.D. CAN DO TO IMPROVE GOING FORWARD

For starters, the show needs to right its three biggest wrongs by raising the stakes, letting the characters grow, and striking a better balance between the standalone and overarching plots. Now's the time to ramp up the action and embrace the darker, more dangerous storylines that keep viewers engaged.

I'd also ask that the series follow up on Skye's personal story arc in a real way, because the reveal that she was an 0-8-4 definitely has potential to lead to something big. It was an interesting play for the series to call, and the true test of its success rests on where the writers choose to go next. If it's dropped just as quickly as some of the "mysterious" character developments that litter Ward and May's backgrounds, then it'll have been a perfectly good waste of time. But if the series runs with it, it has the possibility to make Skye much, much more interesting. 

And finally, I want to see S.H.I.E.L.D. just embrace its comic book nature. I know the series is supposed to focus on a team tackling non-super-powered threats, but the fact of the matter is this: If you want to be a comic book series, you need to embrace some comic book elements. It doesn't matter what the writers want at this point, they need to pay attention to the reaction from the fans and adapt in a way that will keep people tuning in. Thankfully, with the impending introduction of Deathlok and appearance of Sif, who's crossing over to hunt down Lorelei, I believe S.H.I.E.L.D.'s writers and producers are at least making an attempt to rectify its problems, and that leaves me feeling pretty positive about the second half of the season.

What do you think S.H.I.E.L.D. has done well so far? What do you think the show needs to fix going forward? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/27/2016

Season 4 : Episode 2

Next Episode

AIRS ON 10/11/2016

Season 4 : Episode 3

106 Comments
Comments (106)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I like the show for the most part, but it needs to ramp up the action a few more notches (like the last episode did). Add more compelling and complex villains like Mike and the Clairvoyant, and more ass kicking scenes and the show will definitely take off.
Flag
Honestly, totally disagree with your last part about going more "comic booky", I think it's to far that way, it needs to take a page from the "Nolan Batman" and be a bit more grounded in the realm of reality, it's just to "fake" because of it's overuse of physics defying tech that it isn't far from being compared to "Batman and Robin" (the one with George Clooney and Chris O'Donnell) and I think we will all agree that was just way to "comic booky".
Flag
I like the show, I try not to over analyze it and just go with the flow. I'm invested in the show. It keeps me entertained. It is story telling. And it has interesting characters. For me, it's that simple.
Flag
I actually find FitzSimmons to be annoying as hell about 80% of the time, they stink of a generic techy character that's totally helpless and always out of their element despite being in the field the whole time. Also, they're like the NCIS:LA techy duo only more annoying and foreign and pretty.

The humor is hit-or-miss, I could use more of it really, gives characters more personality. Honestly, I blame the writers, every actor on the show seems to have carried their jokey moments fine (although FitzSimmons gets so many of these that they are played out, IMO).

Really disagreeing with you on the comic characters, they draw these 5th-stringers and then make them feel all the same origin and feel - Centipede + weird tech (likely alien) = guy mad at SHIELD who gets defeated pretty easily when all is said and done.

Personally, I feel like this show has poorly-defined what it means to be an Agent of SHIELD, what SHIELD really is or at least what it is to our protagonists, to create a more heightened universe in which to exist, and to not chalk everything up to 2 alien races - Chitauri or Asgard. But really, what this show needs is better writers and showrunners, it feels like it does nothing but roll over and show its soft underbelly at every opportunity, it has no teeth still, at this point it's actually less compelling than Mutant X was at that same point, and Mutant X was really cheeseball syndicated stuff.
More+
Flag
The convenient writing is the common source of all its mentioned problems. If it fixes that, then it's going to be good. And I believe that FitzSimmons are not only the good part but also the best part of the show. ^_^
Flag
The "danger aspect is the most important aspect of a show like this in regards to keeping viewers. They should kill off a main character. It always helps...

I remember the first season of NCIS LA. Its never been THAT good a show IMO, but it was pretty damn dreadful for its first half a season and then they killed off a main character and suddenly as a viewer I wanted to stand up and take notice of where things were going with the rest of the characters.

That's what this show needs, it needs to kick the viewers in the teeth when they least expect it, they will appreciate it later.

Flag
I try to like this show, I watched 15 minutes last night then found the remote.

The cast seems so young and small and un-memorable. I find the girls annoying and the guys moody and detached. I can't relate to them. NCIS, Walking Dead, Justified, Mad Men I know their names at least...

Good location shots, the train was fun, like the super jet, time bombs are cool.
Flag
Last night was a strange time to turn it off after 15 minutes. It was the best episode so far. It's the only one that hasn't disappointed me.
Flag
The story seemed good, but I just can't relate to the cast.
Flag
Has this show improved? Havent watched since the 4th episode. Honest answers pls.
Flag
Vaguely: yes, significantly: no.
Flag
The interaction between the nerds in episode 6 was really good, and episode 13 (this week's episode) was a good episode. Other than that, it's been pretty dull, just like in those early episodes that you've seen.
Flag
I would say the Show is not Dark enough, there is just no real threat. It's a Show like Terra Nova, a Show for the whole Family.
Flag
no, Terra Nova was WAY better then this show.
Flag
So unless someone speaks up, broadcast TV will be totally taken over by reality shows like Jersey Shores. Alcatraz, Missing,Terra Nova died with bad acting, bad casting and bad script, this too will flop.

This show could be a much better show except for the casting. Why the little 80 pound Pixie kids as action heroes? It hit me this year that there were very few shows for guys on broadcast TV and most were going toward woman stars on the new, gender bender shows.

Alcatraz and,Terra Nova was canceled, this show is going that way.

Flag
Terra Nova failed because in this world of cheap as hell to produce "reality TV" no regular network has the budget to support a show with that level of special effects and remote filming locations.
Flag
I really liked Shields and still like it but my main concern for the show is the fact that even if I like it, it's still sometimes boring. Boring in the sense that it focuses on the wrong characters, unnecessary plot twists and nothing big is happening in the horizon. Yes, they integrate their storyline with the Marvel films but still that's not very impressive. There's nothing that makes me want to watch the next episode other than the fact that is Marvel. What the show needs is an all mighty, evil son of a bitch villain that will really take the series to the next level. Bring on the big cliffhangers and the great plot twists and stop with the independent one-episode-storylines.
Flag
It needs to properly define its antagonists and their goals, as well as the protagonists' goals, more often and more clearly.
Flag
I am 3 episodes behind on SHIELD but does this show even have any antagonists? As far as I watched, everything's all over the place, but you are right, it needs to define the protagonists' goals more clearly!
Flag
It has a nameless villain that we know nothing about named "The Clairvoyant" who seems to be in charge of the eyeball message system and Centipede, but it's really vague, we know absolutely nothing, not gender, not even species really.
Flag
@FilmFanatic, honestly, the villain isn't even the problem if they revealed him/her/it (maybe it's a sentient computer, I dunno), but without revealing or even establishing the villain, the show is leaving that storytelling weight on the protagonists and that highlights the lack of establishing their goals as a hole in the show. It's one or the other, compelling villain or compelling heroes, and we have neither.

If you were a network exec and not at all a fan, would you pick this show up for another season?
Flag
in that case, they need to reveal more... It would be pathetic if they wait till final episode of the season to reveal its face
Flag
I've given up with the show already. Most of the cast are simply awful - what a wasted opportunity as this show had everything going for it and should have been exceptional.
Flag
I kept watching to see what was up with Coulson and now I know. To keep me watching the show really does have to improve the stories of the main characters.

Despite being a cold fish, I actually like May, even before I knew her story. I do like a woman who can kick arse.

FitzSimmons are fine but the other characters are meh at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing some improvements or else.
Flag
I agreed on the bad things, I can't possibly even contemplate on agreeing with the positives.

1) FitzSimmons? Really? They are awful.

2) Humor? Seriously? There's something funny on this show?
I must have missed the memo. Can someone give me an example of a "joke" or anything that was on this show?
I really have no idea what you're talking about
Not being mean or sarcastic, I'm really just not seeing it.

3) Known comic references ? Sure that can be a place.
But part of their problem is the non stop references to the avengers.
It's like they are begging "please, we have to do with the Avengers, please like us!"
That's sad.

This show is a train wreck and it only needs 1 thing to be fixed:

Stop assuming the audience is a bunch of brainless lemmings that will only watch it for the brands it came from (Whedon & Avengers)

When they comprehend that and start putting some work, like give us decent writing and decent acting it might have a chance. Until then, it's doomed.
More+
Flag
I don't agree with your first two points because a, they are the two of the best/funniest characters of the series, and b, for an all action/sciFi show is definitely funny. It's not toilet humor or laugh-track humor but it's there. Maybe not obvious for everyone's taste. BUT point 3, I agree. It's a tv show that complements the Marvel films and doesn't act as an independent unit. Not only are their storylines affected by the films, they substitute what happens in the films with depth for the tv show. I am not saying that the films and tv show shouldn't be in the same universe, but don't pay so much attention to them and leave us, the viewers decide if we want to connect the dots or not.
Flag
#2 - Can't remeber the episode name, but when Ward was driving the white van and called it "The Short Bus" (as opposed to The Bus, meaning the plane). and Coulson said, Next time I choose the code names.

Or, in the latest episode when you have two super agents (Ward and Coulson) trying top turn on and use the 3d table thingy to analyze the grenade. They finally give up and send the thing to headquarters.

Plenty of humor. You definitely missed something.
Flag
I can't believe they didn't exploit that icy beast that was still wandering on Earth at the end of Thor 2. That would be funny, connected to the big movies and... yes, probably expensive. But still better than an episode that looks like it was written from the idea "hey, look at this leftover prop, let's use it for something".
Flag
I would put FitzSimmons on the "bad" list for the simple reason that the show continually names them as FitzSimmons. If not even the team recognizes them as individuals why should the audience? I know they have gotten their own moments to shine but I still can't tell who's who.

But my main gripe with it is that the guest actors are always given the interesting stuff. They have the more interesting storylines and motives while the SHIELD team is just "there".
And on that note I thought Mike Peterson would have gotten a spot on the team in the first few episodes. He is way more interesting than anyone else they've got on that plane at the moment and would've given the show at least one "superhero" and serve as a fish out of the water for the audience to relate to. He could also have been the personal link for the team to the centipede story. At the moment they've got nothing personal invested in that story other than "they bad, we good". Yes Caulson got kidnapped but I still don't feel any personal connection there.
Flag
I liked this article. The show has shown some really good qualities, some not so much, but I think if we all acknowledge it is the first of hopely 4 or 5 more seasons, then it is laying the groundwork and the rest has time to work itself out.
Having said that: A geek isn't simply an intelligent person who dresses weird or is socially awkward. THAT is a nerd. A geek is someone who over reacts, tries way too hard, makes things awkward not just for themselves, but for others. FitzSimmons are nerds, not geeks. And adorable nerds at that.
Skye isn't a problem, she has been the introduction to the team. Yes, most of the Marvel movie fans knew Coulson, but his team was a new thing and she was our intro to it. Also, her still evolving backstory will give us insight into SHIELD's past. Maybe some of it will involve Agent Carter and her new series. AMybe some will involve Nick Fury and his Possible upcoming movie. Maybe it will be something that is unique to this series. But she is an outsider who didn't train for years with SHIELD or their academy, so she will work as a quick cheat sheet for us until we all have a chance to catch up to the trained agents.
Agent Mae my only worry. I am hoping they don't play around with his backstory too long. they have been really good with getting Coulson and Skye's secrets into the open. Mae should be soon.
So here is my list of three things they need to do and three they need to stop:
To Stop:
1. Stop playing around and give Mae a real history. Family, tragedy, whatever made her the Calvary. And do it like a band-aid. The fun is watching them after we know anyway.
2. No more secret sex. they're all attractive, people have sex. shouldn't have to be a storyline. finish, clean up after yourselves. move on.
3. More Deathlok, or other recognizable comic baddies. The Agents aren't going to be super powered, but they can have a wealth of villians. The Asgardian they had was a weenie, so it was nice to see that Syf is making an appearance. Hopefully more than one. But the villians don't have to wear normal clothes and hide in plain sight. The new York attack happened. Iron Man is a suit of Armor. Let the baddies wear spandex and look like they do in the comics from time to time.

To Do:
1. More Simmons, she is HOT!!! and cute, adorable, funny. But HOT!!
2. Hopefully tie into Winter Soldier, and then the next Marvel movie. Ant Man would be nice, maybe a Henry Pym cameo (doesn't have to be Douglas)Or A Bruce Banner episode, or mention of a Hulk incident they try to investigate.
3. More of the founding of SHIELD before they try to launch the Agent Carter series. Because the one-shot had so many great cameos and actors to play with... it would get a bit of buzz going. And Agent Carter is beyond beautiful.

More+
Flag
Fitz/Simmons are definitely the best think in the show.
Flag
Give May more screentime, I'm selfish I just love May and want to see her on screen all the time but I don't care for the Skye character either. I wonder if the writers know that a good bit of people don't like her. I dunno why really I like the actress she was cool with her little part of Nashville but Skye is blehhh just too average making CS her niche was a bad move IMO super soliders May and Ward and super geniuses FitzSimmons and Coulson who beat death I just don't get why they are making her so important.

I'm sure if Skye was a smaller character I'd like her just fine but she doesn't need to be in every other scene
Flag
Based on all the comments above and below, Skye seems to be the main problem of this show and I agree. She has to be in the group, because she is "everyman (woman)"and it is from her point of view that we get to understand the workings of Shield. But the show has spent way too much time on her; her development, background and integration into the team at the expense of everyone else especially May and Ward. Instead of being a cute "tag-along, she has become the main character for no apparent reason. Fortunately for Fitzsimmon, they, by default, have a bigger role as they are the comedic component of the show as well as the "explainers" of the "sci-fi" component of a "sci-fi" show. Whedon should look to the recipe of successful "team" shows like Leverage or Mentalist. Stick with the older, professional main actors and slowly explore the younger secondary characters as the story develops instead of the other way around.
Flag
The problem with this show is the character of Skye. She just doesn't work. If Buffy had a New York Times reporter as a side-kick - it would have been Skye. And of course it doesn't work. In a superhero show, you can't have a character as ordinary as Skye, and she has even jumped in and saved the day in a few episodes. That is suicidal character writing. It's like - we have these super-trained heroes and nerds - and we need an ordinary Skye-person to save us...

Get rid of Skye - and this show would work just fine.

PS. I think the sister show Arrow has a similar problem - Laurel.
Flag
I don't think I would mind Skye so much if she could act. Or had any decent lines. Neither of those would hurt any.
Flag
Tonight's episode just rendered this "analysis" null and void.
Flag
I hope that means it was good. I didnt see it cause i gave up on AOS.
Flag
You forgot to mention Clark Gregg under the first section. He's the main reason I decided to tune into this show, and the main reason I continue to do so. He's fantastic.
Flag
The way I see it, SHIELD is doing three things right: Coulson, Fitz and Simmons.

I still think the show is too young to do "wrong" (it just needs to works on things, just like any rookie from Reign to The Blacklist).
Flag
It's hard to see them as a "real" team in the comic book world unless they spar against any of the classic "big bad". Sure they overcome great odds, helped save some from themselves or "unseen others," but they have yet to fight any character that is easy to hate and seems impossible to overcome. Sure they fought suped up henchmen fodder, but that isn't nearly as momentous. Every big bad that they introduced stayed on the sidelines so far and never directly opposed them. Even if it is a villian of the week, make it big, make it bad, and let them overcome it.
Flag
I stopped reading at "Skye and Coulson might be the de facto leads". Since when has anyone on the team even PRETENDED to take orders from Skye?
Flag
Not "lead" as in leader of the team, but "lead" as in the lead character/actress in the show. *facepalm* You have to admit she's more of a main character than FitzSimmons, May, or Ward. Especially May/Ward. Their development has been dismal.
Flag
I always feel the show is too youth oriented. I wish there was someone older and more experienced and hardened by past missions to be on the team perhaps instead of Ward. Also, maybe someone older in the tech or science areas along with FitzSimmons. Right now they all seem like young recruits or trainees on low level missions to learn what it is to be in S.H.I.E.L.D. If they don't make the cut, they are out. You get the feeling Nick Fury and whatever agents he has are doing the real heavy stuff. In fact, this should have been a Nick Fury series, but the movies likely killed that possibility.
Flag
???

May? Your first suggestion is an exact description of May.
Flag
It's OK. I hope it gets better.
Flag
I think they should kill Ward - not joking.
He is the weakest character and most easily replaceable. His death could also add an unpredictable element to the show as well as give the "danger" you mentioned.
Flag
Standing up and clapping. Please, I'm a woman and I love a pretty face as much as anybody, but I need a CHARACTER to go with it. Thank you!
Flag
funny, there are so many wishes about this show and everyone wants for it to improve so badly as someone stated. maybe this show isn't designed for adults who seek for well designed plotlines, greatly thought out character develepment and another kind of bla-bla? i'm pretty sure there are shows like that already (house of cards come to mind, which btw i love). sure, this show could be better, but if you don't like it for what it is already, there is a good chance you will not like it anyway, however they may change it in the future.

for me, i'd like some more skye sex scenes, fitzsimmons lab&science talk, ward is a robot jokes, coulson brain surgery stuff and mey kick-ass moments. as long as i'm getting that, it will keep me entertained=)
Flag
Why does TV.com want this show to succeed so badddd??
Flag
Probably because the SHIELD community has more members (10,171) than any other show on the site.
Arrow (7,712)
The Big Bang Theory (7,636)
The Walking Dead (7,274)
Game of Thrones (6,053)
The Originals (5,765)
Once Upon a Time (5,482)
Elementary (5,091)
The Vampire Diaries (5,073)
Person of Interest (5,058)
Supernatural (4,867)
Breaking Bad (3,512)
NCIS (3,132)
American Idol (279)
Flag
it's not that bad of a show it has flaws, but I think it's interesting to watch.
Flag
It's weird because I started out super critical of this show especially threw a lot of shade at Skye, who doesn't seem to have the personality of a person repeatedly abandoned by foster families but I kinda really like it now?
I like that she hasn't become jaded and even though she does have perfect hair, make up and wardrobe for someone who considers herself a freedom fighter or whatever I am starting to get her. Even with it's faults I really look forward to this show now maybe because I really dig the unconventional family set-up as well, probably why I also really liked Alphas.
I just hope this show isn't in any danger of being cancelled, I haven't really been keeping up with ratings.

Flag
More FitzSimmons, sexy outifts for Skye, better villains, more spying, more Marvel stuff.
Flag
That would be a great beginning!
Flag
Sounds like it isn't any better than when I stopped watching after four episodes.
Flag
Tried to watch, failed. Tried to watch again, failed. It's just sorta boring.
Flag
What exactly is this show supposed to be? I don't get it. In a world where you can't take two steps without trippin over a superhero, why da fck would you spend all your time focusing on a band of boring ass Agents of Shite?

Agent Coulson? Who gives a fck about agent Coulson? Nah I'm just kiddin'. I know this show has a following. Some cool people think its enjoyable, so maybe its a great show. Maybe there's just something wrong with me.....help?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Things wrong with SHIELD:
1. Skye
2. Skye
3. Skye
4. Skye
etc

Things right with SHIELD:
1. FitzSimmons
2. Coulson
3. Its actually a good show if you forget about "The Avengers" and just treat it as a procedural show that's set in the Marvel Universe. There is nothing wrong with this show that isn't also wrong with other procedurals, yet people give it so much stick because of the massive expectations "The Avengers" put on it.
Seriously, the only thing wrong with this show is it's intensely dislikeable main character. She is the pits.
Flag
Chloe Bennett is the best thing going for this show!
Flag
I respectfully disagree. :)
Flag
Most definitely!
Flag
I love Skye!
Flag
Skye isn't that bad.
Flag
Well the main issue with Shield is that it's just not very interesting or entertaining. There are some shows where you know you can just switch off your brain for 30-45 mins and just enjoy it for what it is, even when you try to do this with Shield it still feels flat and boring. I can overlook the 1-dimensional characters/back stories and lame jokes but what I can't forgive is the fact they've turned the marvel Universe into another lifeless, dull procedural show. They may as well rename it NCIS : Agents of Shield.
Flag
Staff
Except, here's the rub: NCIS is actually good at procedural stories with fun characters and interesting serialized bits. SHIELD is not any of those things.
Flag
You're not the first one to make the NCIS comparison.
Flag
I agree with you on almost every point you raise, but most of your complaints can be targeted at almost every procedural out there (the filler episodes, the no sense of danger etc.), except of course the character problem.
Flag
Highly anticipated until I read all the initial critical reviews. Eventually fired up the DVR and was pleasantly surprised. Different than expected but I like Coulson and most of the characters, Do agree with the suggested path forward (overarching storyline and darker) but potential fans should check it out anyway as it grows.
Flag
I tried to watch this show, but quit after a few episodes. I find Fitzsimmons to be very irritating and difficult to watch. It also bugged me how they let Skye in so quickly without even vetting her and then allowing her access by questioning Ward. And what a way to treat a team member!! I felt bad for Ward. I expected one of two of the characters to have superpowers, unless May does, but it was never really shown or stated.

It's probably gotten better since the first few episodes, I haven't had a chance to watch it again as there is so much other stuff that I watch on Tuesday nights. A person can only devote so much time to watching TV.
Flag
Only 3 things wrong with Agents of Shield?!?
Flag
The jokes are terrible, Fitz and Simmons are both boring character (along with the rest of them). and I don't know the comics universe at all beyond the really big stuff.

What the show needs for me to keep watching is become more Whedon-y, it needs chemistry, a faster pace filled with more stuff and better mythology, I also wouldn't mind a character death or 50, but that's just because I don't care about any of them.
Flag
I concur.
Flag
i'm fine with any of them dying except skye & simmons. :)
Flag
Out of over 10,000 community members, I am one of them. Never knew how to take myself out of the community. I stopped watching after the first episode. Usually I watch the first 3 or 4, but the first episode really told me how the series was going to progress: slowly. I am watching and investing too much time on other more-rewarding shows, past and present, that no matter how big of a Marvel fanboy I am, I knew I didn't need to watch this show.

Well, kinda thinking about just jumping in and seeing how this first season finishes. Give me little clues about what is coming up, reward the hardcore comic book fan! Deathlok is cool to hear, and the idea of characters introduced, coming back later as villains is super cool! Please get better... great, now I have to type out that title... S.H.I.E.L.D., I really really want to like you.

(fun fact: I write about 'Community' so often my kindle automatically capitalizes the 'C'!)
Flag
No one ever leaves a tv.com Community alive.
Flag
IMO, the only thing that failed until today was the pilot: I didn't like it one bit whereas I read comics for 25 years of my life(I stopped cuz too much TV shows to watch, not enough time to do both :)

Shield is neither Buffy nor Angel characterwise but it ain't Dollhouse either(even though I enjoyed Dollhouse, eliza Dushku looking at you!)

I'm afraid lots of ppl were like me & didn't come back after the pilot, but I'd encourage those who stopped watching to start again cuz unlike Intelligence whose pilot i enjoyed, Shield becomes better not trashier(I gave up the latter last week, it's a void shell!)

FitzSimmons & Skye are the main reasons I enjoy Shield so much but the show as a whole keeps growing on me, I'd be dismayed if there wasn't at least 2 more seasons :(
Flag
S.H.I.E.L.D.'s running joke about Simmons being a horrible liar when she's trying to go undercover is a simple one, but the contrast of Simmons' good girl nature and Skye's disregard for authority make them a great team.

i agree, also they are both hot, so any time with both of them on screen is great.
Flag
I think the characters are fine, actually, but I agree with your other notes for improvement. I'm usually really intolerant of poorly developed characters but for some reason I find Ward completely tolerable (and not awful to look at - though maybe that's why...). I usually automatically hate the sarcastic genius, but I really like Skye. The "strong silent powerful" character usually grates on my nerves, but May is fantastic. True, there is definitely a lot of room for them to expand the characters a bit, but I'm on board with all of them so far!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members