Tuesday 10:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 20, 2016)

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S01E20: "Nothing Personal"

One of the highlights of the back half of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s freshman season has been the way the show has forsaken the long, drawn-out mysteries that hindered story advancement early on, and replaced them with quick set-ups and reveals. Ward's betrayal came out in Episode 17, we saw him work alongside Garrett in Episode 18, Skye discovered his secret in Episode 19, and the rest of the team found out in Episode 20. S.H.I.E.L.D. is wasting no time in unraveling Ward's carefully crafted cover, and that's the best thing that could've happened to the show. But unfortunately, just because the series' focus has shifted in the wake of Captain America: The Winter Soldier doesn't mean those other storylines have just gone away. 

Even if I'd like for the mystery of Coulson's resurrection to fade like a bad dream, S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't going to let that happen. Logically speaking, I know that would be a major failure on the show's part to simply drop that particular plot thread, but is it wrong that part of me wishes the writers would take a page out of Glee's book and just forget about it? It's been hanging over our heads for a season, it's the reason we're here, but it's also the least interesting aspect of S.H.I.E.L.D. at this point. The reveal that Coulson himself was involved in Project T.A.H.I.T.I. and ordered it to be shut down because of the problems the test subjects developed isn't enough to make me care. Not when Skye is setting Ward up to be arrested or calling him a Nazi. Not when Fitz is grasping at straws trying to make sense of his world and asking Simmons to tell him she isn't Hydra because he needs her not to be. Not when Cobie Smulders' Maria Hill is back and kicking ass alongside Coulson. 

T.A.H.I.T.I. is the reason Coulson is alive, and it's important to S.H.I.E.L.D.'s overall mythology, but I can't seem to muster up the energy to care. It's why I've zoned out of most of the Coulson-and-May storylines up until now. I appreciate what the series is attempting to do with their relationship, but Ward's betrayal is far more interesting than May's alleged one, and it's lightyears more fun. 

If I have one quibble regarding Ward's storyline this week, it's this: Why did it take him so long to realize Skye was playing him? They say love is blind, but bro, come on. I know she makes you feel things in that black, twisted heart of yours, but really? Skye's always been good at fooling people, but she wasn't really trying that hard to cover up her obvious disdain in the aftermath of discovering Ward's true allegiance.

Tipping off the cops to their location and Ward's status as a wanted fugitive was pretty sneaky, though, and it felt a bit something orchestrated by the Skye we first met in the pilot. Plus, having Ward tell her he was just following orders supports what I've been saying all along: Ward is a pawn, a foot soldier who's not capable of being a Big Bad. And he's disposable, too. Ward feels that he owes his life to Garrett, which is why he follows him so blindly, but Garrett was ready to let him die this week just to get the information on Skye's encrypted hard drive. Deathlok stopped his heart assuming Skye wouldn't be able to let him die despite everything he'd done (or if you look at it another way, because she's not capable of murder), but what if she'd been too late, or what if they'd misgauged Skye's own feelings for Ward? Next week's episode is going to give us a glimpse into Ward's past and why he's loyal to Garrett, but I don't think their relationship is necessarily a two-way street. If something should happen to Ward, Garrett could find someone else to fill that role. It's not personal, it's just a harsh reality of war: When one man falls, there's always another to step up and take his place.

Ward's treachery is affecting everyone differently. Fitz's outrage is particularly notable, because it makes his unwavering faith in Coulson and the team harder to maintain. It also means the short-lived Fitz/Ward bromance is dead, which is all kinds of sad. It's obvious that Fitz has never had many friends—probably just Simmons, actually—and it was pretty rough for him to realize that one of the people he'd come to regard as a pal was a liar. Maria was pissed because she'd vetted Ward and didn't realize he was a traitor. And of course, for Skye it's more than personal. Ward was Skye's superior officer, he trained her to be an agent, and they had special mentor/mentee relationship going on in addition to whatever romantic feelings were perhaps starting to blossom. There's also the lingering knowledge that Garrett ordered Quinn to shoot Skye and that Ward could've played a role in it, or could still harm her. 

Unfortunately, Ward's attempt to explain that he had nothing to do with her shooting because he could never hurt her rang a bit hollow. Even though we know it to be true, I think the fact it didn't feel believable is actually a good thing. We know Skye is his one weakness—and S.H.I.E.L.D. is never going to let us forget that—but no one in Skye's position would ever believe those declarations, not after what she's just been through. Having feelings for someone doesn't automatically erase the horrible things that person has done, and Ward's betrayal is still fresh to Skye, so his insistence that his feelings are genuine means nothing to her at this point. In fact, it is probably only making things worse. But S.H.I.E.L.D.'s laser focus on Ward's feelings for Skye over the past few weeks makes it harder and harder to write off the possibility that those feelings won't eventually be used to put him on some path toward redemption. I continue to waver on whether I want Ward to go out a tragic hero or a villainous traitor, or whether I want the writers to put him on ice for a bit and bring him back later on in Season 2 as some sort of ally working toward gaining their trust. But those are the only options at this point.

"Nothing Personal" saw everyone kept trying to rationalize betraying friendships by saying it's nothing personal, that they were just following orders. But that doesn't make it hurt less, and it certainly doesn't mean all the stuff they've done up until that point is suddenly okay because they were just doing what they were told. I wish the Coulson/May dynamic regarding T.A.H.I.T.I. was more interesting, because it'd be a nice complement to Ward's actual betrayal. And I'm very excited to finally be getting a glimpse into Ward's backstory next week—I've been waiting for this since our first glimpse in "The Well" back in November—so maybe we can finally understand why he's so blind to the fact that Garrett's a giant douche. I'm still not sure how S.H.I.E.L.D. is going to be able to pull off a satisfying conclusion in only two episodes, but the show has managed to keep things moving at an exciting pace for weeks now, so I have hope.

DECLASSIFIED CASE FILES

– In a way, Skye's insistence that Mike Peterson is still a good guy is in direct opposition to how she feels about Ward's betrayal. Granted, it's not the same situation—like, at all—but the reason she's so willing to forgive the things Mike's done as Deathlok is that she knows he started out as a good guy, and that he's only been following orders because his kill switch will be engaged if he doesn't. Ward doesn't have a kill switch and has done everything willingly, which makes this an interesting juxtaposition, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the fact Skye is still willing to see the good in Mike, but not Ward. And I think the writers purposefully set things up like that. Of course, Ward killed Koenig and that wound is still fresh. DAMN YOU, WARD.

S.H.I.E.L.D. is setting up a very interesting guest appearance for Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury in the finale, eh? Coulson has always stood behind Fury, but now that he knows Fury not only didn't shut down T.A.H.I.T.I., but actually used it to bring Coulson back, it's just another item on a long list of things that paint Fury in a bad light. If there's one thing I'm looking forward to coming out of this storyline, it's their confrontation.

– I really, really, really want Cobie Smulders to join the series as a regular in Season 2, assuming there is one (and there will be, especially after the strength of these recent episodes). Maybe it's because I need to see her as Maria to get the foul taste of the How I Met Your Mother finale out of my mouth, or maybe it's because I just genuinely love Maria as a character, but someone make this happen! I know she's working for Tony now, but she'd make a fun addition to the show.

S.H.I.E.L.D. missed the perfect opportunity to bring up Skye's van. Way to go, show.

– The flying car scene went on far too long.

– The show is really under-utilizing Adrian Pasdar, no?

– For future reference, Fitz, I don't think Simmons would have told you if she were Hydra, so that probably wasn't the best way of trying to figure that out, even if it led to a sweet moment.

459 Comments
Comments (458)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I finally got to see the first half of this episode...yay me!!

I really wish I hadn't watched the 2nd half before the 1st, since now what happened in Ragtag make sense with how Fitz reacted to Skye's message. She was so clever with how she made sure Ward didn't see it, and then she covered up her revulsion, though not as well as she should have. But Ward's overconfidence and his feelings for her blinded him.

Maria Hill is a complete pragmatist, and is so cool in how she talks about all of the spy agencies as adults, but then compares Congress to kindergarteners. That was so dead on. And watching May and her interact was fascinating. I'd love to watch those two interact a lot more often.

I loved Skye's reaction to Ward, it was so real...visceral even. And she called him on the whole Nazi thing. Garret's twisted Ward so much, he really doesn't get why him being part of Hydra means that he's following Hitler's jack-booted thugs.

I so hope Mike gets a chance to save his son and escape Hydra, you can tell how much he really hates what he's doing, except when he nearly killed Ward. I think he really enjoyed that. ;D
More+
Flag
"The flying car scene went on far too long."

No it didn't. I was waiting for the theme from "Heavy Metal" to start playing from the moment the ramp on the bus started to drop. And for the parking attendant to say "Nice landing man!" But instead he just asked them for 20 bucks. The hair was a good touch though, not to mention the looks on their faces.
Flag
Is it me or this whole Ward arc has Joss Whedon written all over? I mean, he is the master of redemption stories. Just look at what he's done with Angel, he took Angelus out of Buffy, the vampire slayer and built a whole redemption saga around him. Which makes me believe that Ward will have a long life in Agents of Shield. The hour-long flashback that will tell Ward's origins in the next episode will be the beginning of his redemption, specially given Fitz's desperate attempt to stop him from doing something to the bus. That tells me the team (at least Fitz, considering his reaction to discover the treason) are not ready to give up on him just yet. Of course, this will create some controversy between them and Skye, clearly she thinks Ward has evil imprinted in his genes.
Talking about Skye the closing of "Nothing Personal" made me think of what will happen to her, given that Coulson (surprisingly the person behind T.A.H.I.T.I) recommended Fury not to use the project's techniques and/or the drugs (originally designed to heal mortally wounded Avengers) on anyone and Simmons used the drug on Skye. Her memories were not altered in any way, so what the drug is going to do to her? Specially given that she is an 0-8-4. What effects will T.A.H.I.T.I have on her?
In the "wonder what will happen" section I wonder what will happen to Mike "Deathlok" Peterson until the season finale. It is clear that the only way to save his life is to bring Garrett down as it is more than clear the he will be one of his biggest guns in his fight against Coulson. The fact is Garrett made clear that ward is expendable by using him as bait to make Skye crack the HD's encryption, Peterson won't be any different.
Another important question: is it me or the whole SHIELD/Hydra plot line were reduced to some minor and still misterious plan? I know that the show is just a fragment of a bigger universe, but I can't help feeling that the connection is once again lost. And honestly, this whole mistery around Centipede and Garrett's endgame is getting on my last nerve! I hope I'm not the only one with this feeling. I will be very frustrated if it ends up being just Garrett's delusion, totally disconnected from Hydra.
Anyway, it's time to Coulson and Garrett to have a little chat. With SHIELD dead and Hydra still alive this season final can't be reduced to a simple matter of Coulson vs Garrett.
More+
Flag
As for what's left of the season -
This show is nothing but cliches so I'm going to take the safe bet that it will end with them as the signs keep popping up.

Skye's insistance on telling Ward that he is a Nazi makes it even more likely that Garret will have some super cliched mustache twirling plan of world domination or devestaion or whatever and Ward will have to draw the line at that point because he has no idea what he is involved with.

Ward thinks he and Garret are the closest ever and obviously Garret doesn't think the same (or he wouldn't tell Mike to tase him) so most likely Garret will turn on him and then Ward will drop him.

Ward will go through redemption, that much is given, the only question is whether he will just die or join the team and go through redemption next season (assuming there is one). Of course in real life he would have been executed on the spot for treason or at the very least spend the rest of his life in jail for being a mass murderer but as this is modern day hollywood where mass murderers and rapists can be considered "good members of society" so long as they say "I'm sorry" and say they are in love with someone then we can count on it on this show too.

Personally, I doubt Ward will die as let's face it he was called "Agen Handsome" for a reason and this show isn't all that bulked up on its male sex appeal. They could of course bring someone knew, but in most cases they actually bring the new guy first to see if people react to them well before making the switch.

As for the fate of Mike, why are you assuming it will be resolved by the finale? Considering there are only 2 episodes left and the next one seems to be more of a flashback, it's possible they'll drag it on for next season (again, assuming there is one).

Obviously they have to stop Garret to a certain point and restore Shield (otherwise the name of the show makes no sense) but Garret might still be around to be next season's villain. Or more likely be a fodder that will be killed by next season's villain (Again, going by the Buffy analogy, he's the annoited one)

More +
Flag
Redemption are hardly anything really original of Whedon as almost every single show in existence does them.
Also, the examples you gave aren't redemption at all. Neither Angel nor Spike ever went through redemption. I realize you aren't the first or the last person to give that example (including the actual reviewer above) but it's simply wrong to use that term.

Redemption is going through the motions of attempting to seek forgivness or acceptance of your past sins. Neither Angel nor Spike were ever in control of themselves at the time and never really went through it. They didn't try to make amends or come to terms. The reason they started doing good things is because they got their souls back and knew right from wrong. Redemption had nothing to do with it.

If we're going to stick to those shows, then the one who actually went through redemption was Faith. She did horrible things, she realized she was wrong, she felt sorry, she tried to make amends and get others to forgive her.
That is an actual redemption arc.

Willow did the same, although most her journey was off screen between seasons.

Spike and Angel were simply bad guys turning good.
More +
Flag
I was ready to give up on SHIELD when it turned itself around on the back of the movie. These last episodes have been fast paced and exciting, even though I am unsure if this can be kept up throughout a possible season 2. I can't say it's my favourite show, but I did watch the last three eps in an adrenaline rush and I'm certainly ready for the last two. I like how the group dynamics shifted radically during a crisis (multiple, to be exact), and I would love to see that happen more. I agree that May and Coulson could be a lot more intense than it is now, but I do get them having to make way for Skye and Ward during these eps. I thought the whole Ward showing his emotions for Skye was a bit rushed and manic for my taste, although explainable considering he was a lot less stuck up when he was with Garrett than as his cover at SHIELD. So overall conclusion; great on the action and character spins, but still not up to parr on the emotional depth. With the sidenote that Skye silently freaking out in the bathroom about Ward being Hydra was awesomely done.
More+
Flag
I don't get why people say that Ward's feelings for Skye are rushed... It was clear they'll be a couple since episode 1.

Heck, Loreli even told May that he has feelings but they weren't for her...
Flag
I loved the scene where Skye was beating up Ward, he taught her well.
Coulson being behind T.A.H.I.T.I was surprising and his reaction was great!
Also, I think the writers are trying to make us think Simmons is HYDRA, but with only two episodes left I doubt she is, and she better not be for Fitz's sake. I have no idea how they are going to end this in two episodes but I'm sooo excited for the next one!! We finally get to find out what's up with Ward, I've been waiting for this since 'The Well' when they supposedly explained his childhood to us but it just left me more confused. I hope it's something really, really good that makes him somehow redeemable because he's going to be hard to forgive with the amount of people he killed and lied to. But I don't want to see him killed off.
Do you guys know if Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is going to get a season 2?
Flag
So far there is no official word on whether it gets a second season or not.
The majority of people are guessing it's likely to be renewed.

It's possible they are holding on announcing it because of the movie tie in for some reason and might do so after Avengers 2 comes out.
Flag
Yeah I hope it's renewed, there are so many things they still need to answer which they can't in only two episodes.
I can't wait for Avengers 2! It's still like a year until it comes out though...
Flag

I wish this show was great, but I really don't know why I watch it aside from the Nerd-tastic aspects of it - Comics, Joss & S.H.I.E.L.D. (which is a badass organization but lets face it, it should have been made into a series in the 70's so we could have seen a swinging Nick Fury running around blowing things up)

Every time I watch an ep I think, this one will be great, but all I really feel while watching it is: I hope Fitz doesn't blow it with Simmons cause she's awesome, I'm glad Clark Gregg has a job I liked him on West Wing & I really hope they bring back SGU because Ming-Na Wen was way more interesting as Camile (though she was not wearing as sexy an outfit by far) -huff-

At least it has some pull behind it so it might not get canceled before it does get better... which I believe it could very as it has a lot going for it.
Flag
I almost agree with every single word you said, except for me there is absolutely 0 anticipation that there would be anything of intrest on this show.
It's mostly that I started watching it so I might as well finish it off.

Coulson is the only one who knows how to act. Ming Na, as you pointed out, is great when she does diplomatic roles like in SGU or Eureaka, but as fighting tough chick? She's terrible. And Ward is the absolute worst. He was terrible as a good guy and terrible as a bad guy. The rest are mediocre at best.
Flag
Another great episode and I wanna take a ride in Lola
Flag
ust a thought... since shield no longer exist... next season the new title would be agents of stark... since they would all be working for him if coulson does accept maria's idea... ^^

Flag
Agents of Privatized World Security....or something that makes for catchier acronym? :P
Flag
i'm sorry but cobie smulders will forever be robin for me... it just feels weird for her to be the right hand man of fury in shield...

saw the preview and does it look like ward will be going good again... please no... him being bad ass was one of the highlights of this season..
Flag
I don't know but wouldn't it be crazy if Simmons was Hydra? lol
Flag
rmember the episode when we learned about Ward, all along Simmons was acting really cryptic, she wasn't the character we usually see & then Ward was revealed to be Hydra & she returned to her normal behaviour, What if there was not one but two Hydra agents in Coulson's team???? the fact that she doesnt't look too affected by Ward's betrayal or even by Fitz's question also raises questions....
Flag
She cried... It's hardly said that she wasn't affected.
Flag
I'm not so sure about your only two options for Ward being tragic her/villainous traitor or to put him on ice and bring him back later. If this were FX or AMC and a show that could be counted on to be super well done, then yeah. But this is network TV, home of the lowest common denominator and neatly wrapped packages with no concern for cheese. Most likely Ward will be quickly redeemed and put right back with the team, because that's how these type of shows go, regardless of the fact that it's unrealistic for everybody to welcome him back and move on like nothing happened right now. I could see a cliff hanger for the season finale, but "the team" will be back together doing what they do by s2.2 at the latest.

The only thing I see as a wrench in those works is Agent Triplett. He's stuck around for longer than I would've expected a guest character to, and it makes me wonder if he could be the replacement team member for Ward to keep the show's character dynamics fully stocked while still getting rid of Ward (even if temporarily). Outside of that, I can't see anything long term really going on with Ward. Maybe SHIELD will surprise me and pull a cable-tv-show move and actually doing organic, interesting things with its characters. But I'm not counting on it.
More+
Flag
How would they redeem Ward at this point even if he saves Coulson and the team, he has murdered so many agents. Just last episode how many cops did he wound/shoot at that diner.
Flag
I agree with you, I think it would be unrealistic for Ward to be redeemed at this point. It's just that I've noticed stuff like that tends to happen on shows like these. Which is not to say I think it's a bad show. It's one of the small handful of TV I do watch, and I enjoy it a lot.
Flag
2muchbadTV is correct, they will redeem him.
Your problem is you are trying to think about it realistically while 2muchbadTV is thinking in hollywood terms. As far as the more likely scenario to happen on this show? He is right and you are wrong.

Keep in mind that this show is made by ABC, the same guys that give us a show like Once Upon a Time, where the evil sadistic mass murdering Regina who is also guilty of rape no less is supposed to be "redeemed" cause she's really sorry and has a kid she likes.

Seriously... that is what happens on tv these days. Sad puppy eyes, say you are sorry, show some human emotion and it's all forgiven.

Yes, Ward is guilty of mass murder not to mention treason. Something that would get him executed in reality and even if he decideds to stab Garret in the back (which he will) and Coulson will forgive him, at best he'll be sent to prison for the rest of life.

But this isn't real life... So all will be forgiven.
Flag
Hope they make Maria Hill a regular cast member!
Flag

Flying car hair is a thing now.
Flag
Cobie was the best thing about that episode she has the potential to lift the entire show up, hope she sticks around. It's been a slow uphill struggle for this show, which started out mediocre at best. But I feel like it's really turning it around in these past few espidoes with actually interesting storylines (except T.A.H.I.T.I., seriously, does anyone still care about that? Has anyone ever cared about that?), higher stakes and likeable guest stars.
Flag
I liked this episode again I'm really living Ward, I'm so excited for next week I finally get to see into his past and why he is so broken because that man is broken.
Flag
here's the reveal of SKye's 0-8-4 background, she attempted to be Chinese Pop Star.

so we can all move on to more Marvel easter eggs .
Flag
I seem to be in the minority that wasn't thrilled with Maria Hill, but I wasn't. I'm sure her deals are all for a reason, but her presence here really annoyed me (I guess it might also be because I wanted her to resolve a few things and everything is just as much in the air as it was).

I want Ward back with the others in some shape or form, trying to make up for what he has done. However, they are pushing this committment to Garrett thing to seeming insanity and they may have left themselves no way out but killing him off. I think he is going to see Garrett's true colours, that Garrett considers him expendable, and that coupled with the whole Skye thing is going to drag him away from Hydra, or more probably get him killed. I really like Skye/Ward but they have made it so twisted that even as a shipper, after Skye headbutted him after his ridiculous attempt at self-justification, I was hoping she'd do it again, and then kick him for good measure....

We are watching a show based on ideas from a series of comic books, they can spin the stories any way they want really, improbable or not - I just hope I can accept whatever it is they decide to go with. I have a horrible feeling that they are going to leave us on a series of massive cliff-hangers that will leave us hanging for six months to see what happens (or, God forbid, never to find out).
More+
Flag
I don't think they "left themselves" with no way out but killing off Ward - considering they already stuck in a new member of the team to replace him, it is pretty obvious that killing him off has been the intention all along.
Flag
I like Hill because Maria is the Tony Stark for Coulson's Pepper Potts: she's clever, resourceful and sets his world ablaze, Whenever she's around, Philip questions his methods and challenge himself. He's every bit as supportive, courageous and slightly uncomfortable with Maria Hill's choices as Pepper Potts is with Tony's.

That makes for an awesome dynamic in which the two of them reach their goal despite despite they are no longer in the same team, or necessarily working towards the same goal.
Flag
I'm gonna be backtracking a little bit here but there seems to be something in my mind when it comes to a Whedon show that just when you think things are gonna look great for a certain couple, they just rip your heart out and so, I'm gonna add Fitz as one of the casualties this season - just right after he confesses his feelings for Simmons, Ward shoots him. But, I still have Ward at the top of the "needs to die" list for this season.
Flag
Sorry, my mind stopped processing at "Fitz as one of the casualties this season".
Flag
I WISH Simmons WAS Hydra..That would've been BAD ASS!!
Emotionally hit all the right notes..Grade for the episode B+.
This show has really turned it around..Agents of Nothing!! I Continues to its roll!!
Flag
Me, too. I wanted Simmons to be Hydra, & Ward to be her lover - like the Spike & Dru of AoS. Once Ward revealed himself & the entire gang was face to face with his betrayal w/Garrett in the room, I wanted Ward to hold out his hand & say something like, "Time to drop the mask, darling" as she walks over to him & Garrett, stops & declares, "Hail Hydra!"
Flag
For the record, I absolutely loved the episode. The Ward/Skye confrontation was everything I wanted it to be, they were both amazing and Skye didn't fall into the pit of helpless victims, as she so easily could have. I actually enjoyed the Coulson twist at the end - maybe it didn't really compare with the level of tension the rest of the episode had, but I was interested. I think the fact Garrett gave the order to maybe kill Ward is going to be a major factor in the two's future relationship. It wasn't just a throw-away plot device to get Skye do decrypt the drive, it's actually going to matter. Ward has clearly stated he won't forget it, and he obviously doesn't appreciate being expendable to Garrett, who matters so very much to him.
AoS has become one of the series I look most forward to during the week, and I really hope it keeps it up.
(despite all of this, the Lola scene seriously just made me a little uncomfortable)
Flag
Well I like that Fitz went on his own rage fit, I mean everyone else is so composed someone needs to freak out.
Maria Hill is awesome she feels like a really interesting character and kicks ass so yeah I also want her in season 2
Skye is awesome and absolutely love her character, especially when she said that Ward always had an american nazi youth look, damn I laughed at that cause it's so true.
Even if May doesn't get much of interesting stories I like her, probably because I have a thing for cold beauties.
More Fitz/Simmons please!
Flag
I tend to relate to Fitz because we've all had a work-mentor or work-buddy, someone that we considered family until an unseen betrayal: to the Company, the team or oneself.

Fitz reacted as someone normally would the first time it happens (and sometimes the second or third because, seriously?!). I'm scared he wouldn't know what to do if Simmons were HYDRA, because I read it as hewould go Hydra for her.

Seems weird though, not do it for Ward but Simmons yet I totally get it. And in getting it, I get why Ward went Hydra for Garret also.
Flag
The simple idea of Fitz following Simmons even into Hydra... heartbreaking :(
Flag
In that moment in the pool, when Fitz was accentuating the fact that Simmons is all he has I got this flash-idea that sounds plausible enough to terrify me, knowing Whedon's penchant for killing the innocent. What if they're planning to kill Simmons? The last few episodes have made a point of slowly bringing Fitz's feelings to the surface, his fear, anger, betrayal etc.. They destroyed the organization he was loyal to - his home -, his friend.... What if they want to take it all away and pull a Wyndham-Pryce (as seen on Angel) on poor Fitz by leaving him sad, alone and ripe for the dark place?
Flag
Well, if he does want to kill off Simmons and he ends eventually doing so, I'd stop believing in the human raze.
Flag
or you can also go for the Willow-Tara arc in Season 6 after Willow's magic addiction the two finally got back together only for Tara to be killed. :)
Flag
Like I said, Whedon likes to kill the sweet and innocent so that we can see their lover suffer. Tara, Fred and Wash are only a few...
Flag
I've always found it to be a silly tactic when the villain mortally wounds someone close to a hero and says, "Do what I want or your friend dies. You're not a murderer... right?"

Except the hero choosing not to act doesn't automatically make him/her a murderer -- it makes the villain a murderer. Of course the hero complies, but the notion that "if you don't compromise your (mission/values) and he dies it's all your fault" is a huge fallacy that gets used time and again in TV and movies.
Flag
Yeah, I'm sorry but that was so freaking stupid. If they wanted to threaten her, all they had to do is say they'll start shooting random innocenet people. That I would have accepted.

But just like everything on this show... It's nothing but dumb cliches made soley because the writers want the characters to get from point A to point B.

I.E
1) Ward needs to realize that Garret doesn't care about him the way he cares about Garret.
2) That Skye still cares for him somehow

This is so terribly written it really is painful to watch.
Flag
If you have the option of having someone killed or keeping them alive and choose to let them die, you are responsible for their death and although she would have a very strong defense, legally she could be charged with being an accomplice to murder and justifiably so.
Flag
Actually no, legally she would be charged with nothing. It wasn't her fault or intention. Emotionally however, that's another story and that's why the good guys usually do it. Because they can't handle the thought.

But no, legally she was no an accomplice by any means.
Flag
It's not having someone killed. It's "I just poisoned this man and I won't give the man I poisoned the antidote unless you tell me the launch codes."

There's a big difference.
Flag
If you saw an old woman being mugged on the street and did nothing that WOULD make you a bad guy ..just saying :)
Flag
No it would NOT. The whole finale of Seinfeld was stupid for this exact reason.

The person holding the guy and aiming the gun and pulling the trigger on the gun is the guilty part and nobody else.

What if I want to call his bluff? I don't think he'll really kill Ward?
Would that make me a bad guy? What if I'm right? What if I'm wrong?

I am willing to accept that Skye wouldn't want to be in this situation emotionally and that would fit her character - but that's a huge difference than to actually say it would make her bad.
Flag
See above re: big difference.
Flag
Samuel L. Jackson guest appearance? didn't he disappear at the end of the Winter Soldier? Either way Maria Hill's appearance in this episode made me hopeful there will be an RDJ cameo eventually, especially with her "privatised world security with Stark" lines.
wasn't really surprised with the TAHITI reveal at the end or the fact Fury used it on Coulson anyway, though it's potential use on the Avenger's themselves did catch me off guard. as for Fitz, loved his breakdown in this episode and made me love him even more, I'm always team FitzSimmons and it would be interesting to see them offered jobs with Stark (SHIELD's point team should have automatic jobs with Stark esp. with Hill already there).
Would love to have more Avengers references for the season finale given how SHIELD seems to be surviving in some form with Stark taking in Hill and possibly others. as for Ward, he's obviously gonna have some sort of relapse onto Team Coulson or something. It'd be interesting to see what surprises Skye left with the decrypted hard-drive and how it affects HYDRA and Deathlok.
Flag
Considering that Marvel said it's planning to let him go at some point most notably due to high salary I hightly doubt Iron Man will show up.
Although they can always just put the costume in without having to hear his voice.

Flag
I got around to watching the episode off the DVR today.

I understood where Skye was coming from. Ward chose this path of his own free-will it looks like. Deathlock on the other hand did not and is only following Hydra's orders to protect his son.

I wonder if Cobie will be sticking around. Now that HIMYM is over, I don't know of any other major projects she's signed onto yet.

I did like that Skye was able to leave clues for the others and that she didn't just stick with Ward and do whatever he wanted - she tried to have him arrested and attempted to get away.
Flag
So, SHIELD: Coulson, Skye, Fitz, Simmons, May, Triplett, Hill;
HYDRA: Ward, Garrett, Quinn, Raina, Deathlok and of course Kaminsky .
Just two episodes left, who dies and who changes sides?
Flag
Ward looks like he's on the edge of a confrontation with garret and possible flip.
Flag
Raina
Flag
My take on this episode was that it was ok, but still has a way to go before being good. I really liked the personality they're bringing out in Coulson again, little quips to help deal with the craziness, and Fitz who is both rising to the occasion and losing his ability to cope. Using a fleabag motel as a base is interesting, and they handled that in a positive manner.

Ward's role in Garrett's organization means he is a pillar for Skye being shot. That is how crime by association works, he has performed crimes that made other crimes possible, and it's exactly true here. Had Ward not supported Garrett, he might not have been in a position to order Skye's attempted murder. So Ward might believe he's not capable of being a part of that, he's delusional.

There can be no redemption for Ward, you already made a case for it and now the show is hinting at the possibility when they show him shooting but not killing those cops, but it's unacceptable either way, Skye has properly voiced the issue: Ward has killed too many, he is in league with the Nazis of Hydra and his hands are soaked in innocent blood both directly and indirectly.

Mike is also at risk of his son being killed, as well as the killswitch. Mike and his son are hostages, Mike even struggles with the evil he is being forced to do, it's only natural to see him in a better light.

Oh my god, that Lola scene looked so horrible, and every cut brought a different FX problem to the screen.
More+
Flag
Those cops are nameless grunts. They mean nothing in hollywood terms. It's clear that Ward is going for redemption. They made it clear that he doesn't know what he got himself into and that Garet thinks he is expendable.

Yes, in real life he'd be killed for treason or mass murder, but this is hollywood.

The only question is:
1) Will they do the dumbest thing possible and put him back on the team?
2) Will they kill him?
3) Will they leave it in the air between seasons?
Flag
This show has performed well despite the negative bashing it receives from critics & has room for improvement if renewed. Ward is beyond redemption in my opinion due to the number of people he killed & any attempt to paint it as an act out of paying a debt will only ruin a good story arc.
Flag
Ward isn't beyond redemption to me because of the people he killed, SHIELD operatives have killed just as much and they are the good guys.

I would say Ward is beyond recovery, but not because he kills, but because he's committed to Hydra, Garret and everything in between. He'll never cease to be Hydra, just like Coulson has never ceased to be SHIELD
Flag
I agree with you I think Ward is not beyond redemption considering Natasha and hawkeye probably killed just as many people as him, however I think Ward isn't with HYDRA so much as he is loyal to Garret.
Flag
I also think Ward is beyond redemption, for for another reason. He is clearly a sociopath. Although he has feelings for Skye, he is absolutely unable to understand her (and the team's by extension) feeling of betrayal.
In his head, he has been with them, he has helped them, saved their lives, and never directly hurt them.
It's pretty clear he considers his loyalty to Garret and what he did for him a completely separate issue (nothing personal).
Flag
I am so relieved they made the show interesting. I was really looking forward to the show when it was announced and then was totally let down. Let's just hope they carry this momentum into the rest of the episodes and season 2!
Flag
The fact that they deliberately showed that Ward wounded but didn't kill the cop who was arresting Skye, and his "someday you'll understand" line on the plane have me really worried they're setting up some "Oh, he was a good guy all along" triple-agent twist. (Complete with "He shot Hand and the guards with an icer", "Koenig was really a bad guy", and so-forth with equally dumb/convoluted reasons.)

And as much as I like Ward, I'd be really pissed if they made that cheesy a move.

Hopefully it's just Joss toying with the "feels" of all the Ward lovers who are in denial, though.
Flag
As much as you say that's dumb to say he was triple all along, they actually did that with Black Widow in the comics...

But no, I don't think this is the case. I think the dialogue between the three of them on the plane seems to indicate more that Ward doesn't know what he got himself into and that Garret doesn't care about him the same way.

AKA, he isn't a triple agent but he'll realize Garret is the bad guy and switch.
Flag

Posted this further down, but dude this Art of Level 7 art is killing me. Love the teases, but they're just so cryptic.

Why are FitzSimmons trapped? Why is Fitz in a sling? Why is Simmons not looking at him?? I'm reading far too much into this.
Flag
OMG, that artwork is awesome! Where is the site?
Flag
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/01/shield-art-ward/

It's an initiative they're doing with Entertainment Weekly
Flag
Thank you so much, I've saved the site as a fave. :)
Flag
You're very welcome!
Flag
But those are spoilers right? It's not just fan art but has hints of upcoming episodes, right?
Flag
Yea, the artist watches the episode or reads the script or whatever, and then based on the story creates an image to hint at what's to come. So we can expect to see Fitz in a sling and Jemma sitting away from him I suppose.
Flag
Ok, this Jemma thing is messing with my head already.

I think Jemma is crying in that pic? Or maybe thinking, with her head tilted down. And Fitz is getting hurt again? Really? (Sorry, my HP fanatics is coming up to the surface again: he's like Ron on HP:PoA when he get injured on the leg -well, Sirius wounded him-,he's always the one getting punched or damaged!).

But what disturbes me the most on that picture is those turquoise roots on the bottom right: is it just me or they seem Hydra's heads? I mean, maybe it's just my brain basing its interpretation of the image on those hints of Jemma being Hydra, but Hydra does have several necks that might look like (those) roots, right? May somebody please give me any other explanation? Because I don't want this one messing with my Fitzsimmons fan brain xD
Flag
I just screen-snipped this from the overall art, but yea those are kind of from a Hydra tree. I'm trying not to read too much into that, but it's worrying me too!

Swear to God, the Simmons-as-Hydra theory is looking more and more likely every week, and I hate it.
Flag
This is amazing. It's the ultimate conflict of head vs heart. Some point I was making some comments down about Ward's character. The FitzSimmons part actually reminds of a previous episode where Ward was complaining about the extra ounce on the ICER gun and they had so much fun imitating him. V nostalgic and now very heartbreaking...
Flag
I think it's definitely supposed to reference that. I just can't get over the scene tease in the upper left though. Ward's going to have to choose whether or not to save them I guess, based on the promo audio from next week.
Flag
I personally couldnt disagree more on the Coulson / May storyline being "boring". They are the 2 best actors on the team, and have the most developed, muli-layered, multi-dimensional background (both individually and together). They OBVIOUSLY had a long-lasting sexual/romantic relationship in the past, and have been through so much together that it makes for interesting viewing to watch both Coulson's side (feeling somewhat betrayed by May, a woman he had come to unwaveringly trust with his heart), and May's (Coulson has meant more to her than any man in her life, clearly - and seeing how it has hurt her to know that he had lost his trust for her shows through) makes for interesting viewing, in my opinion (IF you are heavily into developed inter-character dynamics - which I personally am).
Flag
I wholly agree! I was weirded out by how nobody was noting the Coulson-May dynamics, even as May explicitly said she's staying just for Coulson and left just as soon as Coulson said he didn't want her around, more or less (in the last episode). The same dynamic is obviously still at work in this episode (reveal that May went to Hill becsuse of Coulson, for example)
Flag
I am interested the fact they spiced things up a bit with ward as it was getting a bit stale the problems are that Coulson is on a one team mission . There is no more Shield and he doesn't want to work with Stark also the Government don't trust him so what will happen to the show after season 1. I mean the whole ward traitor storyline looks like it will be resolved at the end of this season still leaves questions unanswered :
Skye what is she ?
Hydra how far are they into taking over everything?
How does this show fit into Avengers 2?

The special effects for the flying car were crap by the way and their need to get rid of either fitz or simmons as they are stale , other then that I don't know if I tune into a season 2 ?
Flag
They kept Man-Thing in the fridge, is that what Maria said to May?
Flag
I don't think the Man-Thing reference was directly connected to The Fridge, just that they were issues Congress wanted to know about.
Flag
That was frickin awesome!!!
Flag
- Maria Hill can't be a regular in the show. She's way high up the ladder and would NEVER follow orders from Coulson. Coulson is unlikely to follow Maria's orders right now, feeling betrayed by SHIELD and Fury.... So nothing would be done. She appears to be playing a longer game in a wider chess board, so no, i don't think she's interesting in having her own team and going out to fix the world one mission at a time.
- i loved the flying car scene :D
- yes, Ward's storyline is very interesting, yes, i liked that whole part with Skye and Deathlocke etc, no, i did not find Coulson's storyline with May and Tahiti boring. I found it equally fascinating and essential in offering more points of view for SHIELD, more insight into the organisation and how things went wrong and all the layers upon layers that existed that made the 'wrong' possible to happen.
Flag
I think Maria Hill humanizes Coulson, she's the Pepper to his Tony...or rather the Tony Stark to Coulson's Pepper Potts.

He needs her character becuse Maria keeps him grounded: the former employee looking for a job, the father figure looking to save one of his children, the Company man that happens to be a spy.
Flag
This may be the silliest thing I've ever posted here but there it goes:

Anyone else thought of Flubber's flying car while watching Lola's scene? Because when Lola started spinning around, it woke up latent memories of that Robin Williams's scene on me, hahahaha, because his car is also red and vintage and he also spins around, loses control of the wheel for a moment and almost falls down from the car xD

Back to AOS's scene, I laughed so hard that my mom came to ask me if I was ok. I suppose I laughed hysterically out of all the tension and frenetic action from the precedent scenes (Coulson getting into the BUS, rescuing Skye just to realize Deathlok is there too, Deathlok chasing them and then Ward too...). My emotions were too hightened and that swift switch from tension to fun was too much for my nerves, but that's precisely is one the things I love from this show the most. Switching from thrill to humor so quickly or inserting subtle jokes (like that Coulson's line to Talbot on the bunker) on a tense moment... I find that really smart.
Flag
No, this is not a silly comment at all.I. for one, am very glad that you enjoyed this scene to the extent you did. I wish many laughs ahead. :-)
Flag
Agreed that the tahiti thing has dragged on too long. Sure coulson basically recommending the project be shut down was an ok twist, it doesn't really do it. I mean sure the 'drug' restored him to life, but was it really that 'easy'? I still think there was more to it that made him scream in pain about wanting to die. I still hope they can get dr strange involved somehow.. It could make sense that when coulson died, mystical force would be needed to get his soul back. Skye being shot was while she was still breathing, so i would assume her case is slightly different than coulson's.

overall, on the ward and hydra stuff.. I like it this show is much more improved now. And nice seeing maria hill do more ass kicking. The #2 of shield should be doing more than just being fury's backup. With himym done, i would assume she's free to star in more episodes now.

talbot sucks, oh big whoop angry military guy taking no prisoners... I expect that more of thunderbolt ross, but was talbot like this in the comics?

what would be really nice is if they could get any of the main actors from the avengers movie to show up in the finale. Not for fighting, but just a cameo thing. Like get tony to show up at the end sorta setting things up for the avengers 2 or if tony is going to start up the rebuilding of sheild. That would be a great way to kick off season 2.
More+
Flag
I stated a while back that Colbie Smulders needs to join SHEILD next season. I so hope this happens. *crosses fingers* I loved Skye reveal to Ward in the dinner and her calling him a Nazi. What I'm not sure about is why let him live? She must care for him deep down as well. Or was it mercy? Glad May returned to the team and Coulson's reaction to his involvement in TAHITI was great. That is a lot to take in for anyone. Oh and can the writers stop making Fitz hurt? I don't like sad Fitz, he is too cute and cuddly for that. Stop hurting his feelings ok? And one last thing, I can't shake this feeling of Simmons being HYDRA. Please NO! How can I shake them?
Flag
I liked Coulson's reaction to discovering that he was the one behind TAHITI. "Oh."

Flag
Would love if it turned out that Simmons is actually Hydra it would be the most awesome twist.
I'm hoping they don't kill off Ward and instead it turns out that he was actually following Fury's orders and infiltrating Hydra- impossible I know but it would be better than dealing with a romance-influenced turncoat or losing Brett Dalton from the series.
Flag
If Simmons is actually Hydra that would mean Fitz would become one, in a heartbeat. Same goes if Fitz were the Hydra, Simmons would join him in a heartbeat.

...and thus why I finally get how is that Ward joined Hydra because of Garret did.
Flag
I think Garret was always Hydra and recruited Ward straight in, which is why Ward never had the conflict of interest until he met Skye, Garret pulled him out of what sounds like a horrific life and trained him to believe that serving Hydra was right.
Flag
And what do you guys think about that Triplett-Skye moment at the motel? Ok, I know it was just a little chit-chat between two characters that haven't interacted so much so far but since he's replacing Ward on Coulson's team and now that Skye hates Ward's guts, for a moment I saw that actually hapenning... if only he could step away from Jemma ¬ ¬ (he'd stop messing up with Fitzsimmonns and Skye might get Ward off her head, so it's a win-win situation!)

Flag
I think that romance would take most of the second season to get started, I assume after Ward Skye is going to have a lot of issues to work through and won't be willing to explore romance for quite a while
Flag
I would hate it.
Flag
Obviously I would hate if Simmons was Hydra and I doubt she is, I'm just saying the twist would be hilarious
Flag
Is it only me that think Cobie is hot?
Flag
I think Maria Hill is cute, in a Simmons-like cute. The Black Widow is hot, Tony Stark is damn hot, Coulson is just cute, as in Fitz-like cute.
Flag
"Bang bang, bangity bang, I said bang bang bangity bang..."
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
she is unbelievable pretty, but not that particularly hot.
Flag
Yeah, it's probably just you.
Flag
lol
Flag
This show could not suck any worse. It's the skid mark on the underpants of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Flag
Are we watching the same show?
Flag
It sucked a lot more during the first 12 episodes than it does now. I think it has risen to a watchable level.
Flag
It has risen to more than a watchable level I'd say!
Flag
The writing on television and, for the most part, the quality of comic book adaptations have never been better than they are today. But watching A.O.S. is painful. Why tie the show into the MCU at all if the standards for a Marvel t.v. project (or t.v. in general if I'm reading your post right) are so comparatively low? It only tarnishes what Marvel has done on the big screen. The ratings and reviews speak for themselves.

The expanding universe and back stories for new villains you reference will be forgotten before the show is even cancelled which, barring a huge ratings surge, will be during season 2.

I'm not sure what your "age old retort" comment means ...
Flag
Except for the plot, characters and dialogue - yes, you're right!

This show had a tremendous opportunity to expand the MCU, and it gets worse every time I watch. Stereotypical, shallow characters, wooden performances from the actors, half baked plot lines and dialogue.

This show could've been sensational without featuring a single super hero (or at least not any "A List" heroes) or hundred million dollar FX. The Whedons totally miss the mark compared to the movies, and they have squandered a great opportunity to entertain current fans while attracting a new audience, and enhancing the Marvel brand. Just awful! The straws of quality or promise to which fans of this show cling are pathetic.
Flag
So's the high horse you've gotten yourself on, thinking that the choice of viewers who watch this show is pathetic, what's actually pathetic is the sense of sophistication you think you've in watching a TV show. I'd give the age old retort that don't comment when you don't like something because you actually shouldn't be watching it then. but atleast this exposes what great esteem you hold yourself in.

and btw this show is expanding the MCU with it's back-stories for new villains, and has possessed quite the stride in plot and acting department from quite a few episodes back.
Flag
Simmons' "I'm getting better at it" line in response to being bad at lying is still plaguing me. It could have just been a throw-away line. But....I agree with you Kaitlin, Fitz was looking for a way to feel better, and Simmons did what she needed to do. There's every chance that she was/is playing him by putting her hand on his knee. I don't know...I hope not, because I love Simmons, but this is a Whedon show. I wouldn't be surprised if it put this big issue into the mix. Let's face it, Fitz has ALWAYS been disbelieving in the fact that anyone could be Hydra or disloyal to SHIELD. But Simmons has been oddly...unflappable. Although she did waiver slightly when saying that 'this was Ward' when doing the autopsy. Perhaps Fitz is just being portrayed as the emotional one, there's always one in the Whedon-verse. But it seems to me that in the Whedon-verse they love pitting former allies against one and other. Fitz versus Simmons? As much as I hate to admit it, that would make GOOD television.
Flag
Yep, that's right, the fact that she's been acting so indifferent, so "cold" regarding Ward being Hydra and all the things it implies, has been bugging me too. For several episodes now I've been getting used to the idea of Fitz being the emotional one of them both, but still, it has got me by surprise how cold and distant she seems to be from all what's happening : /

I'm kind of pissed off with the writers for just put that hint of Jemma being Hydra, because I'm very suggestible when it comes to these things and now I'll see every action she makes, every words she says as Hydra. And not just my shipper brain but my AOS fan brain will not forgive the writers for doing that to me :(
Flag
I'm just reallyyyy holding on to the thread of hope that they're smart enough not to do that to the best female science character I've seen in a long time.
Flag
Seriously, if they break Fitzsimmons, specially in that way (because it'd mean that there would be zero chance of they getting along as always again), I think the show would lose a pretty big amount of viewers (myself maybe, or I'd watch the show like a ghost, not feeling anything anymore xD).

I need shelter if I'm keeping on watching this show and Fitzsimmons are my refuge. Please don't take that last resource of hope from me :(
Flag
Yea, FitzSimmons was the sole reason I watched this show, and tbh they're still probably 90% of the reason I watch. Without them I just don't think it'd be nearly as good.
Flag
I'm sure it would make good television, but I would loathe the writers for it. I love Fitz and Simmons together, and the prospect of one of them being evil, or just not being with the other one in general, is too depressing.

Honestly the other issue at play is that I like to root for a pairing, and I'm never going to like those two paired up with anyone but each other.
Flag
I agree with what everyone here has said, they've been the best thing about the show since it started, but as a whedon fan it does get you scratching your chin going "hmm". FitzSimmonds forever though!
Flag
Ugh, totally meant FitzSimmons. And just thought of this, In a way, who wouldn't prefer a Simmons season 2 redemption arc to a Ward one????
Flag
I don't want Simmons to need redeeming! If you've seen the episode today though, head over there and we can pick this up.
Flag
good ep good 'twist' at the the end,

but the car falling went on to long you say ? riiiight.... a free fall after being shot at with no roof ? very nit picky that m8..
Flag
I'll make it brief:

- I guess I was wrong: it seems Ward has feelings for Skye actually. Altought I like this option and the future paths it brings if they don't kill him on the season finale, I think it would've been more original and interesting if he had played that card with Skye too.

- Also, Brett Dalton's performance... A-MA-ZING. From the start I've been noticing a lack of acting skills on Chloe's side, but I have to admit she got an A+ on tis episode, but still... compared to Dalton's Ward on that scene at the bottom of the staircase... sorry gurl.

- Now I see Jemma being Hydra and I hate myself for that. Thank you Joss Whedon & company. (If Jemma is revealed to be Hydra at some point I swear to you that I'm done with tv shows, for good).

- Fitz's breakdown (and almost panic attack?) was so heartbreaking and so unexpected at the same time. I mean, it's commonly known Fitz's opinion/reaction on lies and betrayal from insice his team (when Skye seemed to betray them, i.e.) but this... this is Fitz caring about Ward, not the betrayal per se. This is Fitz stating that he knows Ward (I guess it comes from that mission they had in Ossetia and their bonding time since then) and that he can't be stabbing their backs that way. Not the Ward he knows. (Oh Fitz, if only there was someone out who loved you...).

- What is that gunshot on 1x21 promo about? And why is just after Fitz's words in Ward's defense? Because everybody has to stop punching, betraying, threatening, making cry and every other way to emotionally and/or physhically endangering Fitz. Just stop it.

- May getting out of Coulson's grave and Fitz noticing the rotating window's oddity just assure them on the series overall's MVP position. Just saying.

- Conclusion: me after every AOS episode (well, at least the last 6-7 episodes):

(Of course, gif's not mine, I'm not that cool)
More+
Flag
Because everybody has to stop punching, betraying, threatening, making cry and every other way to emotionally and/or physhically endangering Fitz. Just stop it.

Is it wrong that I don't want them to stop? I kinda love it when he breaks my heart.

Not that I want them to go so far as to have Simmons be Hydra. Or to have Fitz or Simmons die. Those are my lines.
Flag
I love it too! I share your lines though, any of those would be too much.
Flag

On Simmons being HYDRA:

Fitz: "Because if you ever did"
Simmons: "I wouldn't."
Fitz: "I don't know what I would do."
Simmons: "You'll never have to find out."

(I didn't think it was possible, but I love these two even more now.)

Well, guys, that was AWESOME! Not only was this a great episode PERIOD. It was yet another fantastic FitzSimmons instalment. Let's get to it!

I think we can stop worrying about Simmons being HYDRA. We've speculated about it, as have many other fans for several episodes now. Simmons has been strangely cryptic at times, with quizzical expressions and looks, which has further fuelled this outlandish theory. But I truly believe that scene I picture captioned above was Joss and the writers saying to the audience "Hey, I know you guys have been freaking out, but she's not HYDRA. Take a breath."

More than that, it just wouldn't make sense from a storytelling standpoint. Patricia mentioned in a prior comment about TV shows following certain patterns (which is sooooo true), and Simmons being HYDRA wouldn't fit with the pattern of this show.

First of all (crap, I'm doing it again), we've already had a member of the team turn out to be HYDRA. It shocked us all because it was so surprising. It was essentially good writing. But if they made Simmons HYDRA, as well, we'd all be like "SERIOUSLY?! AGAIN?! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!" (Well, I'd be like that, anyway.)

It wouldn't be surprising. It wouldn't be original. And it would destroy one of the greatest TV relationships I've had the pleasure of watching in quite a while. Why make us fall in love with FitzSimmons and cultivate this lovely pairing if their endgame was only to blow it up? The writers know who the fan favourites are, and that dynamic has already been played out with Ward and Skye. It would be bad writing. So, I don't see it happening.

BUT

If it did, tragically, devastatingly and heartbreakingly happen, I'll be quitting along with you guys. I just couldn't take it...

Onto happier thoughts!

Wasn't that pool scene so damn sweet? I know every member of Team Coulson has gone through their own personal struggle since the dissolution of SHIELD, but none have been more transparently emotional than Fitz's. The organization he pledged his life to is in tatters, and someone he called a friend, someone he defended, betrayed his trust in the worst way, so when he asked Simmons if she was HYDRA, it was so damn poignant. He needed to know if the person he is closest to in this world is who she says she is. He needed reassurance after everything that had happened, after everything that had been taken from him. He needed to know that he wouldn't lose her, too. Because he couldn't lose her, too. Not her.

So when Simmons looked into his eyes, and told him (along with us) that she wasn't HYDRA, in the kindest, most loving voice, I'm not gonna lie, guys, I got some serious FEELS. Then that (not so) small gesture of putting her hand on his knee, and Fitz's smile, it was all so well done.

But I somehow am still not sure if Simmons is consciously aware of her feelings for Fitz. The love they share is as clear as day, but I continue to not be convinced Jemma is emotionally in the same place Fitz is. Which is where I believe Triplett will come into play.

Getting back to Patricia's TV show patterns observation, I thought FitzSimmons would follow a traditional pattern. But now I'm of the opinion that Triplett will interrupt that pattern. I know there's a lot of fans who don't like the guy. Partly because of his interest in Simmons, and partly because of he's been rather stale as a character. But if they are grooming him as Ward's replacement (personally, I think Ward has killed too many people to be redeemable), than having him breakup FitzSimmons for an extended period of time would just be stupid. EVERYONE would hate the guy.

So...

I think they're going to let his interest in Jemma play out a little more. Maybe they'll be paired off again and share another moment, but it's at this point I believe Triplett will pull back. Not only that, I think he's going to tell Jemma how much Fitz cares about her. This will not only advance FitzSimmons, but it will engender some goodwill for Triplett.

And hey, it's hard for me to hate a guy who shares his chips:

NOTES:

- Fitz's breakdown was one of the best parts of the episode for me. His rage and anger in the wake of Ward's betrayal was so very moving. But even now he still wants to believe there was some other explanation. That no one is just evil. This may be naive, but I love him for it.

- Fitz's response to being threatened by Colonel Talbot: "Do your worst." Hero material, guys.

- I completely understand and agree with Skye's revulsion of Ward. The guy is a mass murderer. If I found that out about someone I loved it would make me sick, too. Stay strong, Skye!

- I'm really hoping for a more Jemma-centric plot line in the last two episodes. What is she thinking?! Help me out, Patricia!

More +
Flag
Oh, and about him having that breakdown and saying that line to Talbot (and many others so far -someday I'd quote them all together on a book or something-), I think Ian got the jackpot with Fitz' role. Yes, I can't imagine any other actor on that role right now, but it's because Fitz is so a great characther that whoever portrayes him, it will be still an awesome character, an unique personality.
Flag
I can't possibly respond to everything I agreed with in this, I'm sure I'm going to miss something. You touched on so many good points, its crazy.

Can I just say that your picture caption sequence for the pool scene is BRILLIANT. I've been meaning to rewatch it, but just getting to glance at the images is awesome. I love the looks given, and I love that Fitz is still staring at Jemma's hand in that last photo. So so good.

Jemma is clearly not on the same emotional level as Fitz though, and I'm not sure what's going to prompt her progress on that front. They have to be going there, I truly need to believe it. I'm not one to fall in love with a pairing that's not canon, and in this case I'm a little worried I did. At first I did think they were just going to play the "just friends" card, and I was actually okay with that because hey, I have best guy friends too, and I would never consider dating them.

With the looks that Fitz has been giving her though, and the developments in the last few episodes, it's clear that the writers are taking Fitz's feelings to the next level. I do think Jemma had those feelings briefly in the beginning, but they've definitely receded since. The actors have repeatedly stated that they're playing them as siblings though, which I don't find plausible. They're just not platonic.

I'm curious to see if the developments in the next two episodes flesh out Jemma's feelings for Fitz at all. If she tells him she doesn't share his feelings, I'd be curious to see how he'd react. I'd be heartbroken with him, as I'm sure many many audience members would.

She hasn't really had to confront the issue of losing Fitz though, aside from briefly in The Hub. She definitely didn't handle that well, but that was first-half-of-the-season-Jemma. I'm not sure how that would go now. He's so devoted to her that I don't think it really crosses her mind that she'd ever be without him.

As for Triplett, I think it'd be great if they had him endorse the relationship. If they try to keep up this love triangle, I'm going to hate it. It's never going to be a triangle, especially since Fitz is so clearly the one for Jemma. Yes, that's my overly romanticized take on it, but I also just don't like Triplett much from what I've seen. Him sharing his chips did soften him up a bit to me though.

Speaking of Trip and the chips...his conversation with Skye while he was eating them was great. If we lose Ward, I could definitely get behind a Trip/Skye relationship. We can call them Skip. It'd be great.

Overall:
Fitz is amazing, Jemma is blind for not seeing it, and Skye is finally becoming someone I like!
More +
Flag
Skip! Yes! Brilliant!

(Hey, sorry for the lateness of this reply.)

Thanks for the kind words. I loved that pool scene so much I felt compelled to caption it. After all the darkness Team Coulson and us fans have been through, we needed that moment of warmth. So touching and so good.

Everything you've written here is so damn spot on. From Simmons' emotional level, Fitz's feeling and your notes on Trip, you and I are not only on the same page, we're on the same verse!

"He's so devoted to her that I don't think it really crosses her mind that she'd ever be without him."

If I could start a slow-clap for this line, I would.
Flag
1) When Jemma put her hand on Fitz's knee, his brain was working so fast and so hard that I heard its machinery spinning.

2) Wow, I've never watched show where somebody confessed his/her feelings to some other character and he/she rejected it. It would be great to watch for once, but I also think they were never ment to be platonic. Ian and Elisabeth just said that because (in my opinion) they were told to claim so (to keep all this that we now know as a secret).
Flag
Ok, I have to reply to that. I'm a mess of feelings right now so if something comes out wrong or with typos I'm sorry but it'd because I got too excited.

I feel we share the brain because it feels like you've stolen my thoughts back there.

You're right, that episode (along with the previius one) was all about Fitzsimmons, and I won't be ashamed of saying that they are my only that in the darkness on this shoe. Because through all this darkness, all this twisted shit, we still all Fitzsimmons. It's in a painful way indeed, but we still have them.

But I have to disagree on that pool scene being the confirmation of Jemma NOT being Hydra, au contraire... it was the seed of that posibility. At least for me. It was so silly on Fitz's side to ask that that it got me thinking: why would the writers make Fitz ask this if they woudn't us to consider the posibility of Jemma being Hydra? Because yes, I get that Fitz neesed some sort of comforting thought among of that chaos, but really? He doubts even THAT?

And then we have Triplett sharing his chips with Fitzsimmons... that was really a good detail. He not only is willing to share his meal (let's be fair, if I'm eating and somebody -a friend, even family- stares at my food with craving look, I grab my knife ans fork tighter to attack them if they try to steal a single chip), but he offers it to somebody he may be considered his ""enemy"? Because Triplett may see himself more handsome than Fitz, but he is also awared.that he does not share their history together ans that's A LOT. So him offering his chips first to Fitz (the nearest to him) and to Jemma... I have to respec him, man. By that he was saying "Hey, I may like you, but I care for your happiness the most, and if it has Fitz on it, I'll accept him too".
More +
Flag
(Hey, sorry for the lateness of this reply.)

Oh, I know we share a brain because I could not agree more. Initially I thought FitzSimmons would only serve as a geeky, somewhat cliche, albeit adorable, comedic relief. But as the season has progressed not only has their relationship become one of the best parts of this show, they've also become the heart and soul of Team Coulson. And lately they have been OWNING the screen.

As for Simmons being HYDRA, I think that seed had been planted by fans and critics weeks ago. They didn't need that pool scene to reaffirm what many have been guessing at already. So I still believe it was written in as a way to address the worries of us neurotic fans who desperately hope nothing happens to our dear FitzSimmons, while also serving as an indescribably sweet moment between them.

For your notes on Triplett, I'm right there with you (again). Those chips were almost like a peace offering. Like "dude, I get it now, I'll back off". I thought it was a great and subtle scene.

Okay, now I'm off to see if you wrote anything about the most recent episode (after I reply to csinner, of course). :)
More +
Flag
Hahaha, now I realize that I typed "are my only that in the darkness on this shoe." instead of light and show. Damn you autocorrect! You make me look silly! I know how to make a misspeling all by myself xD
Flag
I do tend to agree with your point on that conversation with Simmons being Hydra. It was a sweet scene with her reassuring him and reaching out to physically drive it home, but I don't think we actually learned that she's not Hydra in that seen.

One thing that just came to mind about Simmons and Hydra though - it's been rumored that there's a scene in the finale with Simmons and Fitz trapped together in a room facing impending death (presumably from Hydra), and I just can't see why she'd be in that room unless she wasn't Hydra. Elizabeth mentioned the scene in some interview, and from what I can see, it looks like they're doing something like that in this next episode. I'm sure we won't get any big emotional declarations, but at the very least, it should reassure us that she is indeed SHIELD.
Flag
Yep, you called it. I can't see Jemma being HYDRA after Ward was ordered by Garret to kill her and Fitz.
Flag

Someone needs to explain what's going on with FitzSimmons in this image. Newest Art of Level 7 art.. Simmons distance from Fitz is def gonna bother me.
Flag
Great post, totally agree with all of your points! Fitz and May continue to be awesome, my heart continues to break for Fitz, and Skye is actually becoming fun to watch.

If Simmons is Hydra, I'll quit TV with you. We can start a book club and re-read HP.
Flag
Oh, we should totally do that! Because when AOS ends I'll need another distraction to keep on procrastinating xD

Flag
GoT! That's my summer binge-watch mission.
Flag
Yes! You won't regret it.
Flag
Source: agents-of-marvel.tumblr.com !
Flag
I put this in my queue these days and am not sure if its the same show I find the dialogue puerile !!. I cant stand Skye. And Coulson's naivety is just boring and annoying. May is just ridiculous with the Coulson obssesion! He's not her father, they are not even that good as friends but she persists in wanting to be in his good books with the world falling apart around them.
Someone please put this series out of its misery....and its numbers keep dropping.
Flag
but is it wrong that part of me wishes the writers would take a page out of Glee's book and just forget about it?

It's wrong on so many many levels that it would boggle the mind out of any statistician,let alone any true fan of the show.Please don't ever mention Glee in relationship with that series, for the love of God.

Okay, we all know that the "it is not personal, just doing my job" is the one excuse that stinks "Nazi" ever since Eichmann said it in his trial. It is always personal, and nothing more than anyone seeking my death or the death of my beloved. Deathlok says that being Hydra means defending the life of his son or his head being blown up by remote control; but daily hundreds of thousands of people have to fight some lethal disease and they don't go out killing people. There has to be a moral limit when self-preservation has to allow the survival of the many to take over.
As for Ward, he should never have been allowed to enter SHIELD in the first place. Police departments and other law enforcement agencies all over the world reject unsound candidates, mainly for mental instability. In our case, Bennett was the one who is behind Ward's recruitment, but since then, he was vetted, including Maria Hill's , and had passed through the net. If the Hydra infiltrators did look the other way, or even helped him through; he was still in contact with genuine agents and they should have been able to see the truth of his mentally defective mind.All this to make the point, that Ward is outside the purview of normal mental analysis, because he was mainly operative within the undercover aspect of SHIELD, and these agents are expected to be somewhat unstable. This is why the Coulson Team lowered their expectations when dealing with him and thought they were bonding, when they were in fact not. As for Ward, himself, he knows exactly what he is, but does not have the frame of reference to become someone else that might be an acceptable member of society. To put it another way, Ward is Superman to "Agent Ward" 's Kent.
As for TAHITI, the plan was to keep Coulson in the dark, and we cannot fault Fury for having done his best to maintain that secret away from our hero.This is one of the best uses for the "be careful what you wish for" instances in recent television series. As far as I am concerned, it was well introduced and well developed into the mainstream series, and this reveal or something very close does not surprise me as much as it could. It also introduced for next season a wild card in how will Coulson deal with that bit of information and how it will impact the team and his work and his relationships. I am thinking that since this has to do with anger management and mental control of sanity, we actually might see Bruce Banner in season two.Keeping my fingers crossed.

More+
Flag
This show is getting truly great. I agree Ward should have seen a mile away that Skye was stringing him along. One thing, though. In the video, Coulson recommends the TAHITI project be shut down because it would be too risky because of the side effects, like constipation, diarrhea, headaches, skin rashes, dizzy spells and, oh, madness. But what's a little long-term madness compared to the alternative, which could be instant death? I vote for madness any time.
Flag
Especially since it's treatable, and sometimes curable.
Flag
Holy shit, was that Simmons kicking ass during the promo for episode 21?
Flag
I only saw Simmons running with Fitz? May was kicking ass in a tie though.
Flag
Yeah, you're right. Just saw a photo of May wearing that exact same outfit from the promo. Although, I was kinda hoping it was Simmons, yet not Hydra.
Flag
Not gonna lie, those photos were the reason I knew it was May. Wouldn't have been able to tell from just the promo!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members