Tuesday 9:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 23, 2014)
Most of us have ideas by now, I'm sure, but I felt like voicing my theory:

Who is The Clairvoyant? A mysterious villain that has taken center stage of (at least) the freshman season Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., proving to be a significant thorn in the backside of our fledgling heroes. He or she has dropped what I think may be key clues to their origin and operation. Our most recent episode, "End of the Beginning," has perhaps cinched it for me, and here is why I believe that The Clairvoyant is M.O.D.O.K.:

1. The Centipede project, utilizing bio-tech to enhance its subjects to superhuman ability - something MODOK excells at, creating a variety of bio-tech cyborgs and such over his long tenure within MARVEL comics.
  2. Utilizing Extremis on these subjects, tying us into Iron Man 3, and also A.I.M., Advanced Idea Mechanics - the organization that MODOK is a leader of.
  3. Another leader of A.I.M. is Baron Wolfgang von Strucker, already revealed as a villain in Avengers: Age of Ultron!
  4. MODOK is considered a Technopath, meaning a technological empath, due to his ability to access nearly unlimited technological data and use it to calculate probability to such a fine point, it borders on precognition (or perhaps, clairvoyance?).
  5. MODOK's origin is directly connected to both Captain America and Sharon Carter, niece of Peggy Carter (of Captain America: The First Avenger's fame). Sharon Carter is being introduced in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
  6. MODOK creates a terrestrial version of The Cosmic Cube, already known in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as The Tesseract, an ongoing plot device in the M.C.U. leading up to the planned further involvement of Thanos.
Though it is true that in the comic books MODOK was once a man named George Tarleton, in "End of the Beginning," our villain seems to be Thomas Nash. I don't see that as being enough reason to count him out. The show eludes to the possibility of Nash (played by the enigmatic Brad Dourif, of Chucky fame) being a patsy. Furthermore, it could in fact still be Nash. Creative license is nothing new for Marvel:

1. Ultron was created by Hank Pym in the comics, yet in Age of Ultron, its been noted that he will be a creation of Tony Starks.
  2. Jarvis was a butler in the comics, but became solely an Artificial Intelligence system in the MCU.
  3. Deathlok has origins from a handful of characters, none of which were Mike Peterson, prior to Agents of SHIELD.
So what do you think? Is this enough evidence for you? Of course, I could be in the completely wrong ballpark, but I still had fun brainstorming this one. Have any theories that might support or debunk mine? Feel free to speak up!
Follow this Show
Members