We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Tuesday 9:00 PM on ABC
Most of us have ideas by now, I'm sure, but I felt like voicing my theory:

Who is The Clairvoyant? A mysterious villain that has taken center stage of (at least) the freshman season Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., proving to be a significant thorn in the backside of our fledgling heroes. He or she has dropped what I think may be key clues to their origin and operation. Our most recent episode, "End of the Beginning," has perhaps cinched it for me, and here is why I believe that The Clairvoyant is M.O.D.O.K.:

1. The Centipede project, utilizing bio-tech to enhance its subjects to superhuman ability - something MODOK excells at, creating a variety of bio-tech cyborgs and such over his long tenure within MARVEL comics.
  2. Utilizing Extremis on these subjects, tying us into Iron Man 3, and also A.I.M., Advanced Idea Mechanics - the organization that MODOK is a leader of.
  3. Another leader of A.I.M. is Baron Wolfgang von Strucker, already revealed as a villain in Avengers: Age of Ultron!
  4. MODOK is considered a Technopath, meaning a technological empath, due to his ability to access nearly unlimited technological data and use it to calculate probability to such a fine point, it borders on precognition (or perhaps, clairvoyance?).
  5. MODOK's origin is directly connected to both Captain America and Sharon Carter, niece of Peggy Carter (of Captain America: The First Avenger's fame). Sharon Carter is being introduced in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
  6. MODOK creates a terrestrial version of The Cosmic Cube, already known in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as The Tesseract, an ongoing plot device in the M.C.U. leading up to the planned further involvement of Thanos.
Though it is true that in the comic books MODOK was once a man named George Tarleton, in "End of the Beginning," our villain seems to be Thomas Nash. I don't see that as being enough reason to count him out. The show eludes to the possibility of Nash (played by the enigmatic Brad Dourif, of Chucky fame) being a patsy. Furthermore, it could in fact still be Nash. Creative license is nothing new for Marvel:

1. Ultron was created by Hank Pym in the comics, yet in Age of Ultron, its been noted that he will be a creation of Tony Starks.
  2. Jarvis was a butler in the comics, but became solely an Artificial Intelligence system in the MCU.
  3. Deathlok has origins from a handful of characters, none of which were Mike Peterson, prior to Agents of SHIELD.
So what do you think? Is this enough evidence for you? Of course, I could be in the completely wrong ballpark, but I still had fun brainstorming this one. Have any theories that might support or debunk mine? Feel free to speak up!
Comments (39)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
After seeing Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Im kindof kicking myself... I do believe they revealed The Clairvoyant in the film. And though it still COULD BE (and i think it SHOULD be - its a great way to introduce a character like...) MODOK, Im pretty sure now, that its Arnim Zola.
Flag
Yes ... Arnim Zola for sure
Flag
There's a few other guesses on the tv.com forums here:
http://www.tv.com/shows/marvels-agents-of-shield/forums/identity-of-the-clairvoyant-204937-3380904/

Also if we're looking for a "Clairvoyant" that Brad Dourif's a dead-ringer for, the Mad Thinker, especially as we saw in the "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" toon
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120427160637/avengersearthsmightiestheroes/images/3/33/Mad_Thinker.png

http://avengersearthsmightiestheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Mad_Thinker

(if you like marvel and enjoyed the DCAU shows (Batman, Superman, and JL series) you owe it to yourself to check it out [and to avoid the current less mature shows :( ])
Flag
Baron Strucker is a member of HYDRA not A.I.M
Flag
Thank you so much for all this info! I'm not so into Marvel's Universe as you are so I really appreciate all these contributions :D

I'd already read some things on the internet about M.O.D.O.K., Ultron and Baron Wolfgang von Strucker but I feel that I'm not expert enough to make a proper comment, although judging by all this info you gave us and some I've read before I think M.O.D.O.K. is an strong candidate to be the Clairvoyant.

I wish I could turn myself into an expert on MCU in the blink of an eye :( That way I could know all these stuff and hypothesize about characters... damn it.
Flag
Don't know about "in the blink of an eye" [unless you want to speed read a bunch of wiki articles] but the 2 seasons of the recent and sadly cancelled "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" cartoon was really great and everything written above and much more was in it (also it came out around the first Iron Man, so a lot of it fits easily w/what you've seen in the films, and should be easy to get into).
[Though as another commenter pointed out to the writer of this article: Baron Strucker has always been a leader of Hydra, not AIM. Some additional and related info not included in the films/shows yet: AIM in the comics is a splinter group of Hydra (which as we've seen is itself a splinter group of the nazis)]
Flag
Thank you so much for the tip! I'll check those tv series to catch up a little bit with MCU :)
Flag
to be clear "those" series are just this one:
http://www.tv.com/shows/the-avengers-earths-mightiest-heroes/
The biggest difference between it and the MCU stuff is how the Avengers form (toon came out before the Avengers film);
it got canned and replaced by another (sadly more juvenile) avengers toon, and the current one (called "Avengers Assemble") is frankly confusing in terms of what elements from films etc it includes and doesn't (and most elements from the comics are not explained much :/) so be sure to find the right one, as "Avengers Assemble" isn't a show I'd recommend whereas A:EMH is fantastic :)
(if you don't have netflix or a library you can borrow the dvds from I'm not sure where you can find it to stream from...feel free to msg me if you've got further questions)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
The episode was crazy good and did it's job because now I suspect everyone in the episode, minus May, Coulson and FitsSimmons. Everyone else was just super sketchy
Flag
As I said in the last review article's comments:

"Mental! I really, really hope the
Organism they choose for the "Big Bad" is
Designed to generate not
Only excitement, but
for intrigue as well. The suspense is
Killing me!

/wishful thinking"

It's the only way to *hopefully* go.
Flag
cute ;)
Flag
There have been several Deathloks over the history of the character. Having Mike Peterson bear the name isn't that unusual. His acquiring it was actually a pretty logical progression storywise.

I'm not sure who the Clairvoyant is, but I would not be surprised if Triplett was working for him/her. Triplett's interest in Simmons at first seems kind of sweet; until you take into consideration her specialty. Simmons would be the first one to detect any biochemical oddities in Coulson and/or Skye. She is also the most likely one to be able to replicate it.
Flag
makes me hope they might be adapting some of the same stuff from that Black Panther motion comic whenever they get around to a BP film, and we get to see an army of Deathloks attack Wakanda [although I guess we can't have Storm show up to fry them, b/c her film rights are locked down at Fox :( ]
Flag
I was thinking the same thing. The way he told Ward he wanted to kill the clairvoyant kinda inspired him to do it I think.
Flag
Yeah, as Ward was shooting him, i was like, "why are you so easily lead?!"
SETUP!
Flag
I agree with you on Triplett's thing. Not just because Simmons is a potential asset to Clairvoyant's agenda, but because she seems the weakest link on Coulson's team (but I seriously question it).
Flag
Definitely, she's helpless at the hub. I think she is who Ward is extracting in the promo for the next episode
Flag
Staff
I feel like you might be on to something here ...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members