Friday 8:00 PM on ABC

How will Civil War affect Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

This is a question I've been asking myself since Marvel's big announcement this past week! We know first hand that the big screen movies affect this show. In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, we saw the return of Hydra which transitioned directly into Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and in my personal opinion, raised the stakes thus making the show a lot more interesting. Ever since then this show has been on my weekly enthusiastic watch-list. This begs the question: with this new major event taking place, Civil War, how will it affect the show. Civil War is a big deal and for all you not invested in the splendid world of comics, allow me to give you a short summary. *SPOILER ALERT IN CASE YOU ARE SUPER SENSITIVE*
Civil War is when The Avengers divide based on their opinions. On one side we have Captain America and the other Iron Man. The general idea for the movies are that Iron Man wants to cooperate and answer to the US government whilst Captain America thinks they shouldn't. Don't quote me on that but all we really know is that they'll go at it. In the comics, S.H.I.E.L.D. played a part. They have an Anti-Human Response Unit, better known as Cape-Killers, that sides with the government and Iron Man against Captain America and all other heroes that stand by him. Their job is to take down any "Capes" and bring them in.

With that knowledge.. it begs the question. Will S.H.I.E.L.D. take part in Civil War and stand against Captain America? Will these "Cape-Killers" be part of the show in that case or side events that are sometimes mentioned during the course of a season?
Personally I hope we see Civil War have an impact on the show as last time it did, we had an amazing time with it. Not only just that but this would allow us to see just how Gray S.H.I.E.L.D. really are when they're forced to be the villains, whilst not really being villains at all.

Let me know what you think about all this and let's have an adult discussion surrounding the future of our beloved show!
48 Comments
Comments (48)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Apr 17, 2015
isnt it allready divided? we got Coleson (is this spelled right) who sides with the powered and we got the "real" Shield seeing the Powered as Threat...
Flag
Apr 17, 2015
Wasn't at the time of the article. Now it sure is although it has nothing to do with Civil War since it's pre AoU. We'll see it all unfold soon enough though.
Flag
Feb 15, 2015
Now that it has been confirmed that Spidey will make an appearance in a Marvel movie, with Civil War being the odds favorite for like a 100:1 (yay!), that should put a new spin on the character dynamics.
Flag
Feb 10, 2015
The backstory in the comics was:
  • Some heroes cause a disaster that results in the deaths of a LOT of civilians.
    • The heroes were kind of show-boating and not the best trained.
  • The public outcry was huge
  • The gov wanted to step in and require
    • Heroes to register their identities and abilities with the government
    • Heroes become agents of the government and train in proper use of their powers and various procedures
Some heroes took issue with this; registering their identities would put their families and friends in greater danger. Also the whole forced-conscription into government agencies thing wasn't popular either.

'Cap sided with the people that did not believe in the hero registration act, he felt it took away freedoms.

Tony had a bunch of reasons, but ultimately decided to go with the government's side.

Both sides clash.
Flag
Mar 25, 2015
Technically, one of the villains they were trying to stop, Nitro, caused the explosion and there was nothing any of the New Warriors really could have done to stop him. Speedball was the only one who survived, though, so he took the blame. Lots of kids died. Somebody had to take the blame. And nobody blamed him more than he did himself, thus Penance. I'm actually hoping the New Warriors and Speedball make some sort of appearance in AoS leading up to CA:CW, maybe as some vigilante Inhumans that the SHIELD team has to contain. They could even include the Stamford tragedy. It would be heavy for ABC, but it would be a really good way to tie the show and the movie together.
Flag
Mar 25, 2015
They could even be filming a Youtube-style show about their exploits. I don't see them having an actual on-TV reality show at this point in the Inhuman story, but one they make themselves with Go Pros would be totally believable.
Flag
Jan 27, 2015
If I was a shield agent during civil war...I take whatever side the Hulk is on. Last thing I would wanna do is aim my measly pea shooter at him and expect not to get wrekt.
Flag
Mar 25, 2015
I don't expect Hulk to be on either side in the conflict. Odds are, he'll be headed to space after AoU and maybe popping up again in GotG2. I'm personally still kind of hoping for a standalone Planet Hulk movie, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. They'll probably just incorporate it into GotG2 in some way.
Flag
Nov 20, 2014
I do think that the team would be divided. But then we've seen on season 2 so far that Coulson expects the team to follow his orders no matter what, and although almost all of them have concerns, they tend to do just that. There's every chance that the writers at AoS have this plot point in the back of their minds (or corner of their eye, or whatever metaphor you prefer) when planning this season. They're obviously going to be long-term planning, much the same way as Joss Whedon has long-term planned all of his shows. I'd imagine a 'mini' civil war between his team, though that being said we have no idea who will be on his team by that point. Certain members may have died, others may have left and others joined. One thing I'd say though, is that if Coulson continues his mini bro-mance with General Talbot, he'll be supporting co-operation with the US government.
Flag
Nov 20, 2014
Valid points, we can only speculate at this point but I do hope that the subject will be brought up once more after the event itself!
Flag
Nov 04, 2014
Even though you said it twice, it doesn't actually beg any questions.
That phrase... I do not think it means what you think it means.
Flag
Jan 21, 2015
Yes, "begging the question" has a very specific meaning in logic and philosophy... a meaning most people do not know. But language evolves, and to deny that modern parlance now equates the phrase to "raises the question" is pedantic at best, and ignorant at worst---especially when there's no ambiguity as to meaning.
Flag
Jan 06, 2015
Dude, there might not be punctuation, but the headline itself is a question that the existence of Civil War begs. Just because he didn't use "?," does not mean "how will it affect the show" is suddenly not a question. Add in the paragraph directly below Iron Man's picture (where, incidentally, he did use proper punctuation) and you officially have multiple questions begged

The word question... I do not think it means what you think it means
Flag
Nov 03, 2014
Poll

Flag
Nov 03, 2014
It's not "Avengers: Civil War", it's "Captain America: Civil War" which implies that most if not all but one of the avengers won't be involved. It's entirely possible that whatever version of the Civil War conflict they use for the movie will begin and be resolved within the movie and be, at most, mentioned in the show without really affecting it. Like "Thor: Dark World" was mentioned but ultimately had no impact on any long term story arc.
Flag
Nov 03, 2014
Actually the rift between Tony and Steve will begin in The Avengers: AoU as seen in a exclusive scene + told by Joss Whedon. It will further progress in Captain America: Civil War and by the time Avengers: Infinity War comes out, a new Avengers team will be made since the old one is so very torn.
Do your homework first.
Flag
Dec 21, 2014
actually they have had friction since they were introduced
Flag
Feb 19, 2016
Holy smokes, a reply nearly 2 years later! How's future you doing?
Flag
Dec 31, 2014
Tell me about one super hero team-up were there is no friction, and then tell me how many literally started a war against each other. There is a difference between debating who has bigger cojones and wanting to put the other one down for a greater cause other than that of a selfish nature. Should I really have to explain myself on this when it's so very clear?
Flag
Feb 19, 2016
I wasn't disagreeing with you just adding that they have always had a tenuous relationship. Relax
Flag
Nov 02, 2014
I'd side with Cap, but I'm not so sure that SHIELD would. I can see Skye and Hunter going with Cap, but Coulson is too much a G-man, and the rest will follow his lead. And I know that Coulson idolized Cap before, but he's quite bit grayer now than he used to be.
Flag
Nov 12, 2014
Agreed, I would be on Cap's side personally and I think characters like Skye will be too. I think it will be really hard for Coulson to take a side. If the show lasts till this movie comes out (isn't it like 2017?), I think it will be interesting to see the divide within both teams sorta juxtaposed.
Flag
Nov 02, 2014
He's also pretty tight with Stark so yeah it's in the clouds at this very moment.
Flag
Nov 02, 2014
I don't know about the team but I'm definitely on Cap's side.
Flag
Nov 02, 2014
Personally I'm torn. I stand wherever Hawkeye stands!
Flag
Nov 03, 2014
I just hope they won't end it like in the comics.
Flag
Dec 21, 2014
they might. Evans is supposedly out after his contract is up and it's not like there havent been others who have been captain america stand ins
Flag
Oct 31, 2014
Poll

Flag
Nov 12, 2014
This is a trick question, I think there will be a divide in the team.
Flag
Nov 04, 2014
It'd actually be a great opportunity for the writers to divide the team up...with maybe one or two of them acting as Double or even Triple Agents! of SHIELD!
Flag
Oct 31, 2014
I'm torn... Leaning more towards Rogers, but I think S.H.I.E.L.D. would secretly be helping him while publicly agree with Stark.
Flag
Oct 31, 2014
That is if this show makes it through two more renewal seasons. Don't get me wrong, I like this show alot more than when it started last year, but it would have to make it another 2 years to be involved in the Civil War storyline and I don't know if it has the ratings to do that.
Flag
Oct 31, 2014
Even if AOS lasted long enough for the Civil War story arc to kick in I can't see it affecting the show too much. On the show they wouldn't be able to help hunt any of the Avengers, not on a tv budget anyway :) They'd probably just hunt down and contain a few lesser known humans with "powers" but isn't that what they do anyway .
Flag
Oct 31, 2014
Good point, sir. However did I not hear somewhere that next half of season 2, the Avengers members or a member would make cameo appearances? I think the show could spin it somehow; just look at the whole Hydra thing, they did pull that off.
Flag
Oct 31, 2014
Agreed, however I wish it would for the sole reason of curiosity. Also because I enjoy it obviously.
Flag
Oct 30, 2014
Hmm...I sort of feel like you just laid the groundwork for how they are going to deal with Grant Ward...go with me here.

So, he escaped (in my opinion Coulson intended this to happen, had him handcuffed in front even I know that is the easier way to escape, and I haven't settled on a real reason why). What if he actually reaches some sort of warped understanding with his brother and S.H.I.E.L.D has its own sort of civil war. With Grant Ward basically leading the Stark supported side and some contingent of our characters going with him (for instance, Skye came on as a Tony Stark fangirl and even if she hates Ward, she might be so afraid of what she is to fully embrace her anti human side if that's what is up) and Coulson on the Cape side (figuring less to do with Cap connection and more Nick Fury connections who is more closely tied to Cap, in that he actually seems to like Steve as a person) with May, Hunter, Tripp, probably Hunter and Bobby. I have a hard time with the other three. This could take a long time and meet up with the Civil War story before they officially break up, I mean, we have to figure out what Ward is doing now, figure out what the heck is with the alien writing, what is Skye, and, well, HYDRA. And, honestly, figure out which of the Ward brothers is the bigger villain.
More+
Flag
Oct 30, 2014
I think you're right on the internal struggles. I mean S.H.I.E.L.D. is much more personal now that the "squad" is basically like a family. Having to pick who to support during Civil War won't be very easy, that is if they have to pick at all. It all depends on whether or not S.H.I.E.L.D. is established again as a dominant force by then. Which is 2 years, and I have no doubt in my mind that by the time it's season 3/4, S.H.I.E.L.D. will be, yet again, a force to reckoned with.

I don't support your theory with Grant. He did betray the team, seriously (possibly permanently) injured Fitz, manipulated May and in short spit on the ideals that Coulson held close to his heart. He'd have to jump infront of a Tesseract beam before Coulson believes he genuinely wants to help them, help Skye. Redemption story is Joss Whedon's forte so we'll see about that!
Flag
Oct 30, 2014
I don't think Coulson let him be handcuffed in front because he thinks he will help, I think its part of how he is playing Christian Ward and likely putting more focus on HYDRA. I have no idea what Ward himself will really be doing, I actually won't be surprised to find him showing up on Skye's father's doorstep, wherever that actually is.
Flag
Oct 30, 2014
Man Crush Coulson going up against Cap, nah!! won't happen.

Plus we've got 18months before Cap3 hit the screen so any ramifications won't show until season 3 and we need to see what Coulson grows SHIELD 2.0 into to see if they'd even be able to interfere/participate.

The question is will they start laying the foundations now in season 2 and what effect is AoU going to have on AoS
Flag
Oct 30, 2014
It seems they already are. I think Coulson 2.0 is a little more gray than what he used to be. Before in season 1 he'd still show off his collection and what-not but now... that Coulson is gone and he's more goal-oriented. Not to mention what the serum is doing to him.

I think they already are building up for the event since Joss is a major player in both AoU and AoS. With S.H.I.E.L.D. trying to rebuild and establish itself as a player again, I think it won't be long until we can really see them returning.

It's a tricky thing predicting the future of a show, not all shows are impacted by a cinematic universe!
Flag
Oct 30, 2014
I mostly agree with this. Season 2 AoS really only has to deal with things spilling into/out of AoU.

Side note: I don't read superhero comics, but this idea of Civil War intrigues me. Now that Truth and Justice are no longer "the American way" (I know that's DC, but bear with me), I wonder how the modern interpretations of the idealist superheroes like Captain America deal with a US government suborning mass surveillance of citizens, along with torture of any person, and tending towards fascism (I'm not just calling names... Research the term yourself).
Flag
Oct 30, 2014
That's the supposed plot of Civil War in the cinematic universe. The question of who answers to who. Iron Man wanting The Avengers to answer to the US Government whilst Captain America believing it to be against the constitution. I'm very intrigued at just how they'll spin it all and how it'll all work, and it all begins in AoU. Also seeing AoS deal with this event (hopefully not by cleaning up like with the Thor cross-over) will be quite spectacular if done propertly.
Flag
Oct 30, 2014
Hello there HP.

Just wanted to comment on SHIELD's possible allegiance when the events of Civil War start to unfold.

I had the chance to re-read the CV comics recently and, as you say, SHIELD is a big gun in the government's arsenal. However, in that storyline Hydra has not infiltrated SHIELD like in the ongoing plot and SHIELD is obviously a loyal and trusted government-controlled agency.

Coming to the present, as thing stand now SHIELD is not an agency anymore, it is just a disgraced rag-tag group of do-gooders (as far as viewers are concerned) or criminals (according to the government).

In my opinion the showrunners have one of two options: a) they either try to stay as clear as possible from any serious Civil War action (and only deal with minor fall-out) or, if such an option is not really ... an option they can b) have them align with the underdog. In this case, and if things resemble the comics' storyline, the underdog would be Captain America.

My question is how they are going to integrate the current Hydra situation in the CV story. Maybe it's through Hydra's manipulations that the CV events start. At this point this is (pleasant) guesswork and until new information (or ideas) come, who's to say?

Keep calm and read comics!
More+
Flag
Oct 30, 2014
Hello there yourself, Donatos!

Yes, I re-read it myself quite recently and have been asking myself that very same thing. The thing is that as of Episode 6 S.H.I.E.L.D. has been shown to still be operational across the globe and their goal this season is to increase in number. No ramifications will be seen until mid-way through Season 3 or even beginning of Season 4 so as of right now all is speculative. I do believe that S.H.I.E.L.D. will grow quite rapidly since the show can't remain in one location but has to advance, move forward if you will.

Just as in the comics Civil War was about secret identities, there will be changes to the plot. It's not hard for me to imagine S.H.I.E.L.D.'s role will be slightly altered, maybe even completely.

It seems as though it's because of Ultron that Cap and Tony are at each others throats. We'll just have to see with Age of Ultron next year!
Flag
Oct 31, 2014
I can't say that I know when Civil War is coming out so I'll take your word as to when these events will impact the show (you're probably much better informed). So, yes the show has a long way to go and a lot changes for the team to undergo until Civil War comes.

But, as a personal preference, I have to say that I prefer SHIELD as a smaller band of agents on ambiguous terms with the authorities and the law, than as the SHIELD we all know (more or less) in the comics. It works better on TV, given both budget restraints and the sort of plots and drama that TV has to deliver as opposed to comics. Different mediums, different norms.

Anyway, as you say it's all speculation right now. We'll wait and see.

I forgot to say this in my previous comment, but thanks for a good post.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members