Tuesday 9:00 PM on ABC
Since this show is what happens when three S.H.I.E.L.D. originals - Coulson, Agent Hill and Lola - join forces with classic Whedon's archetypes: the strong female character (Skye), the handsome man of mystery (Agent Ward), the brooding warrior making up for past mistakes (Melinda May), and the nerd-rookie (Fitz-Simmons team).

I wanted to hear your opinions: Does this mix work for you? Can a strong female archetype coexist with three S.H.I.E.L.D. originals? Or Lola should never share screen time with Skye and Coulson again? And what would it take to bring back Agent Hill?

poll

Comments (10)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Good point, if anything the show avoided the event TV feel of those pilots which helps to separate it from the fate of those.
Flag
I lieked the Pilot, Id did not like the Pilot of SGU/Caprica/Fast Forward/Revolution/The Event and others and i was right there. I think the Series will live throgh 4 -5 Saesons
Flag
Comic book SHIELD has always had strong female characters. The Contessa, and Natasha Romanoff for example. I think that SHIELD is going to mix beautifully with the Whedonverse. (then again, I have been reading comics for a VERY long time.)
Flag
It's not the strong female character, but the middle man and the Company gal - along with the stready couple - what I feel unique to the SHIELD universe.

Unless she's at the top of the top of the top of the Company - or, you know, a "bitch" - characters like Cobbie Smulder's Maria Hill have no place in Whedon's universe as if a decent, working woman, that doesn't manipulate men would not exist, or a middle man with no love life, cool friends or shiny gadgets like Coulson would have nothing to bring to the table.

P.S: I have nothing against Lola because she's the only SHIELD original left for Coulson to interact with (and I'm kind of projecting Maria Hill in her), but I can't deny she counts as a cool gadget Coulson may not have needed in the Iron Man movies.
Flag
You have a point about the strengths of the SHIELD universe. It has always been diverse.

I'll agree to disagree with you about the Whedonverse. What made his stories work was the ensemble cast. Also, anyone remember Joyce Summers?

The pilot served as an excellent introduction to the characters. Whedon set the basic parameters. And kept the number of gadgets used to a minimum. Other than Lola. As a long time comic geek it was heartwarming to see a SHIELD flying car finally, well, fly.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members