We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Tuesday 9:00 PM on ABC

You've seen all 846 trailers for Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It's the most highly anticipated new series of the fall. But does it live up to the hype/gratuitous punctuation? Should you clear some space on your DVR for it? Glad you asked! Read on to find out.

What is this show about? What does S.H.I.E.L.D. even stand for?

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is about an all-human specialized squad—the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, to be exact—that investigates odd happenings all over the globe. The series is completely separate from the Marvel movies it was spun off from, but exists in the same world. The show will continue to build on and develop that world, despite not being about the superheroes who inhabit it.

Who's behind the S.H.I.E.L.D.? 

The series is joint production between ABC and Marvel Television production, and both parties knew what they were doing when they entered this partnership. Some guy named Joss Whedon, who directed 2012's blockbuster movie The Avengers, is a co-creator and executive producer of the series. Whedon also directed the pilot. 

Wait wait wait, this is a Joss Whedon series? How do I know this Whedon show is worth it? I don't want to get invested in it if it's just going to be canceled in a few weeks.

When we spoke to Joss at Comic-Con, he assured us—or I inferred, whatever— that ABC is much easier to work with than Fox (which, if you'll recall, is the network that swiftly canceled the cult series Firefly and then ran the complicated Dollhouse into the ground). "There's no free ride, we've jumped through all the hoops to make this work," he insisted. "The network has dealt with us as they would with any show. The only difference is they really did know what we were giving them and what they wanted." He went on to add, "We've had a real feeling of support."

So there you have it.

Who else is involved? Who can I send my fan mail to? 

Joss's brother Jed Whedon and Jed's wife Maurissa Tancharoen are also executive producers on the series; Jed and Maurissa's past credits include Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, the aforementioned DollhouseSpartacus: Gods of the Arena, and Spartacus: War of the Damned

As for the cast, Clark Gregg is reprising his role as Agent Phil Coulson from the Marvel films. Ming-Na is Melinda May, the veteran member of this special S.H.I.E.L.D. team who's been mysteriously absent from the field for quite some time. Relative newcomers Brett Dalton (Blue Bloods), Chloe Bennet (Nashville), Iain De Caestecker (The Fades), and Elizabeth Henstridge (Hollyoaks) make up the rest of the team. Oh, and Cobie Smulders' Agent Maria Hill stops by for a quick cameo in the premiere.

When's the first mission?

The series premieres Tuesday, September 24 at 8pm on ABC. Talk about a lopsided time slot: S.H.I.E.L.D.'s competition includes on of the most powerful acronyms on television in CBS's NCIS, as well as Dads and Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Fox and The Voice on NBC.

Do you need to be a fan of Joss Whedon or Marvel comics to enjoy this show

Thankfully, no. While already having a deep fondness for one of those two things would obviously help gauge whether or not you're going to like S.H.I.E.L.D., the series doesn't require its viewers to come in knowing anything about the Whedonverse or the Marvel Universe. Fans of Whedon's previous work will recognize his trademark witty dialogue, as well as a couple of familiar faces, in the pilot, but even complete newbies will be able to appreciate this latest project. And speaking from experience, you definitely don't need to have prior knowledge of the Marvel Comics universe—thought it will, of course, come in handy at times. The producers really worked hard to make this premiere appeal to new and old fans alike. 

What works well about the series?

For one thing, the comedy really stands out. The pilot has Whedon's trademark snark and humor all over it, and it's nice to have that back on TV after such a long time away. Clark Gregg is wonderful; thankfully, whatever brought Agent Coulson back from the dead didn't diminish his sense of humor. 

What maybe doesn't work so well?

This is definitely a symptom of only having roughly 42 minutes to set up an entire world and introduce five new characters, but de Caestecker and Henstridge's alter egos are hardly fleshed out at all. They show up, work their science-y magic, and then they're swept away again. I sincerely hope they don't end up like Bonnie Bennett on The Vampire Diaries, showing up only when the story necessitates it. 

So... should I watch it? 

Duh! Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is the most-anticipated new show of the year, and it actually has a shot of living up to the hype. Don't let it scare you into thinking it might be too "genre" for you. It's fun, it's funny, it's exciting, and it has action. It's the whole package.

Okay, can I see a preview?

You mean you've somehow avoided all the trailers that have littered TV and the internet for the past few months? Damn. Here you go.

What should I drink while watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Redbull. This S.H.I.E.L.D. squad is constantly moving, and you're going to need to keep up.

thekaitling:list:marvels-agents-of-shield-will-you-watch/

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. premieres Tuesday, September 24 at 8pm on ABC.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/26/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

Next Episode

TONIGHT AT 9PM

Season 3 : Episode 19

85 Comments
Comments (85)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
846 trailers and each one cut differently on the same content.

How can it be "completely separate" and still in the same world with one of the same characters? "Completely" I do not think that word means what you think it means, Kaitlin (read it in Inigo Montoya's accent). Also, how can it be a joint venture between ABC and Marvel when they're both owned by Disney? You're just trying to confuse us, aren't you.

Fox's sitcom lineup is not powerful yet. The Voice isn't going to steal eyeballs from this, it's a different audience. So it's just SHIELD vs NCIS for that battle, but NCIS was television's number one show blah blah blah. (Ziva leaving kills that.)

Anyway, of course I'm watching this, "no power in the 'verse"... oh, you already did that.
Flag
PS - if this show sucks, you owe me a Coke, Kaitlin.
Flag
Staff
Clark Gregg, zombie?
Flag
This is going to seem really petty to some: I'm ashamed of myself even as I type! But as black British person, though I love the idea (and Joss Whedon shows), I have been put off watching by the fact that I could see no 'person-of-colour' in the cast. Ok - maybe there was no character on which to base such a person...? I am shocked that such a thing even affects me: 'African-Brits' do not have the same sensitivities as African Americans, but for some reason, this put me off...
Flag
They asked Samuel L. Jackson to play Nick Fury on the show, but he responded: "TV? What the F. is that?"
And then he cackled maniacally.

Flag
Also dont get upset all the bad guys will be black.
Flag
Racist. What white people arnt good enough for you to watch. What does it matter the color of the casts skin if the shows good. That's like saying you don't watch breaking bad because Jesse isn't black.
Flag
You're right: it doesn't matter, and I have NO problem watching white people! I've done it for years and never had a problem. It's just that in the 21st century, one finally hopes to see them as part of the action, and not the first person to die!
Flag
And I have no idea what 'breaking bad' is...
Flag
Isn't August J. Richards black? or he might have terrible sunburn.
Flag
Yes, he's black, but I didn't se him on this site's S.H.I.E.L.D page.
Flag
Well, there's an asian supporting actress, which is a rarity on American and British TV. Just give the show some time.
Flag
Thanks, that's good to know! I expect that I *will* watch it when it gets here (um... next week?) It's just that as one who has *never* had to consider race (my dad was a diplomat, so I never really experienced racism) suddenly I found myself looking at the page for the show, and for the first time (in several decades) I found it suddenly mattered. As I wrote, I'm not proud of it - I've been one of those who said to the many descendants of slaves that I know: "It's over, people - how long can you keep blaming others for your plight?"
Flag
Fox ran Dollhouse into the ground? That's not what I remember. Fox canceled it due simply to lack of viewers, but after giving it two full seasons. (I'll admit it's harder these days for me to criticize Fox, after its willingness to keep Fringe going and going.)

And the "trademark Whedon humor" only works in moderate doses. In The Avengers, I caught myself wanting to punch Iron Man several times. If this show has a character who's constantly making too-cute wisecracks, that actually diminishes the show to me.
Flag
The problem with Dollhouse was that Fox wanted to stretch the main plot (to make the show run longer or something) and delay the reveals so they messed with the dynamic of it all and the show started to drag. It was Fox's decision to alter the show and, if I remember correctly, Whedon even complained about it.
I have to admit I love Iron Man but only because he has Peper next to him to keep him in check (alone he's be too much of a douchebag sometimes lol)
Flag
I'm defiantly watching this one. I love Phil Coulson, He is the best!!!!!!!

Is anyone going to do a weekly review of this show? Just wondering.
Flag
Definitely*

Flag
Staff
I'll be reviewing it weekly.
Flag
Nobody is telling you that you can't watch this. You don't have to watch it defiantly.
Flag
This is a Joss Whedon's show.. The guy behind "Buffy", "Angel", "Firefly" and that little horror flick called "The Cabin In The Woods". I'm in.. I mean i'm in like a warrior.
NO POWER IN THIS F*CKIN VERSE CAN STOP MEEEEEEEEEEEEE !

Flag
No power in the 'verse... Love the option!
Flag
Funny thing about hype, you end up expecting so much that anything less than an awesome outing will be failure in may folks eyes (mine included).
Flag
yeah, weird voting people. love JW stuff, i'm sure i'll love this. just hope it stays on the air for a few seasons.
Flag
How are there over 300 people who, are bored about this show and want to skip it? I don't understand.
Flag
I'm a Marvel fan and i was checking my watch from about halfway in.
Some ordinary hacker chick gets abducted and instead of being scared and distressed she immediately has that typically cliche 'snarky wisecracking' thing going. Yeah right. Enough already. Why don't you use actual HUMAN characters for a change?
Oh, and the whole "all the characters are played by blandly similar looking FHM-bait" thing is getting really tiresome. But that's not just "SHIELD"s issue. That is TV shows' issue in general these days. I was looking through a TV-com article about the new shows and their casts, and i really fear television studios have some human cloning facility somewhere. Apparently, actors and actresses that don't look like mannequins are blacklisted these days.
Flag
Why does anyone watch television, if not for beautiful people in unbelievable situations? A Marvel fan you may be, a Whedon fan you are not? You won't come across a Joss Whedon show without at least 10 snarky comments an episode.
Flag
Ready snarky as sassy.
Flag
ABC marketing has completely failed to give a real idea of what this is about, it's just the same few minutes of Coulson appearing out of the shadows, a guy jumping from a building, looking at a tv, some fresh-faced actors, a classic 'vette, and then MARVEL'S AGENTS OF SHIELD MUTHERFATHAS! title card meant to rope you in. But a show none of that makes, it's offputting to hear how great this show is gonna be and then see so much time and money put into such lesser-than marketing.
Flag
I'm sure that they are bored with the comic book thing, or they just don't want to watch it. I don't get it, but hey, bad tv needs someone to watch it. I'm sure that is who watches Big Brother and stuff.
Flag
Am I the only one who thinks it would of been cool to have some Fringe cast members in there? :)
Flag
I'm going to watch it. Dollhouse took too long to become interesting, Joss shot himself in the foot with that show.
Flag
Yes yes yes and yes
Flag
I'm definitely going to watch it.
Flag
Yes, I avoided ALL the Trailers. I only know Coulson's car has a pet name (because that clip was impossible to avoid). A true sensible Whedon-phile will go in fresh!
Flag
I will for sure watch it! Marvel Comics has been a long time past time for me and I just love all the comics and movies. While the basis of this series is SHIELD, I secretly hope there will be a few superheroes in the series. A Marvel series without any superheroes won't work for me.

And... I hope they will have a 5 year run, at least. I'm sure they can also use the series to promote some of the upcoming 'Avengers' themed movies.
Flag
I will have a steady chant of "Joss" going most of the day tomorrow. I'm seriously crying that I have all my DVR slots filled so I can't watch it live. Well I'm not crying right at this moment in time but I will have tears in my eyes tomorrow.

Even though I have all my DVDs, my life has been seriously lacking in new Joss material. There just are not words for how excited I am for this show.

If anyone bugs me while it's on (well, while I watch it the second I can), I will probably beat them with a hammer. Or my crutches cause they'll be right beside me.
Flag
I am pretty excited for this. My only concern is the Marvel/Disney is going to interfere too much with Whedon's attempt to use characters from the comics. In my mind I imagine a conversation along the lines of:
"So we were thinking of having Kingpin in a story arc."
"Ooooo sorry, we may be using Kingpin in a movie in 2026; have you considered Stiltman?"
Flag
Let's recall the last few "most anticipated" shows ... there was that one with back-in-time dinosaurs or some such ... there was one with a dome in it ...
Flag
You're right the last few years every most anticipated show flopped. Josh Whedon doesn't mean anything remember doll house.

The key to whether this show makes it will be if they can keep it entertaining while maintaining a low budget. Also important is that tons of people in the US watch it live.
Flag
Yeah, but none of them had Josh Whedon involved.
Flag
They had Spielberg, Abrams and King.
Flag
Exactly. None of them had Joss Whedon involved.
Flag
Hahaha like X 1000
Flag
I'll wait and see if it gets a second season, then I'll catch up.

Nah, just joshing. I hate when people say that. I'll tune in. But I do hope Nick Fury shows up during sweeps.
Flag
Sorry, but that is my plan. I save new shows until summer to 1) have something to watch then, 2) not start watching something that get's canceled after 10 episodes without any resolution.
Flag
I can't imagine this is a show that won't get a big enough audience for a second season, and probably many more after that. It already has a huge fan base from the comics and movies.
Flag
True, but I left off 3) Enough reviews published so that I have some idea if it's any good or not. Revolution had big ratings, but by delaying it I was warned that the first half wasn't very good, so I knew what I would be getting into by starting to watch it.
Flag
TBH none of the new shows are really intersting me.
Me waiting for Hannibal and GOT (Loooong Wait)
Flag
I agree this year seems dull the best new shows are mostly in the winter, which sucks. Its killing me waiting for season 4 GOT.
Flag
I will try it!
Flag
Quote: "The series is completely separate from the Marvel movies it was spun off from, but exists in the same world."

WRONG! :)

The series is based on the aftermath from the havoc wrecked from the the big battle in the movie "The Avengers". But don't expect to see any of the main "Super-Heroes" elements of 'the Avengers".

Of the many things, SHIELD will be finding alien tech and gizmo, etc.

Just to clarify..

Flag
I'm glad to see Clark Gregg land some steady work. I've been a big fan of his ever since he played the enigmatic savior on Sports Night. He was also a lot of fun in New/Old Christine. It's also good to see Ming-Na back on TV.

Here's hoping Joss fares well with ABC. Don't think they're not every bit as capable of killing a great 8PM show as Fox or anyone else is. It's almost a year later and I'm still sore about losing Last Resort.
Flag
They didn't kill it; low ratings killed it. It had too much competition in that slot.
Flag
The network bears much of the fault for barely promoting it at all and sticking it in the worst time slot of the evening. It was nowhere close to being an 8:00PM show. It's as though they went out of their way to ensure that the target audience wouldn't watch it. Idiots.
Flag
Well at least this won't be on Thursday's at 8pm. That was a horrible slot for Last Resort. And it was never moved. Never given a shot at a time slot where a show like that would have been better at. It is mind boggling how ABC didn't do anything for it. If I was Shawn Ryan, I would look toward HBO, Netflix, something other than moronic network execs that don't know anything. Couple Last Resort with The Chicago Code, which was on its way to being a great cop show, that is twice Networks screwed him and the viewers over.

But they have given Joss a respectable time slot. Not too late for the kiddies not to get to watch and the fanboys and girls to watch. And it is not against any juggernaut other than NCIS. Which is going for an entirely different demo.
Flag
Oh God, yes. Last Resort. Just WHY. I still read Tim's pilot recap of it, because it still holds the bar for me as far as pilots go. I miss the COB and his sassy mouth.
Flag
Staff
R.I.P. Last Resort. They just weren't ready for that kind of show. I'm still upset about it too.
Flag
It's my most anticipated show and I really hope that it has the biggest premiere of all of the new shows.
Flag
Looks awesome. Will be awesome. It's not on FOX. And it's on free-to-air UK TV (Friday 27th September at 20:00 on Channel 4 - followed by a one off The IT Crowd one hour special series finale).
I'm in.

(That was a lot shorter than my other responses.)
Flag
Of course I'm going to watch it, the real question is whether I'll stick around all season. I'm hoping this lives up to the hype, but I have adjusted my expectations, so I'll think I'll enjoy it.
Flag
Well, I like Marvel and I like Whedon...so in theory this couldn't possibly be a miss! But just to keep my expectations in check....I've avoided most trailers. I prefer to be completely surprised like I was with The Avengers.
Flag
Do you have to ask?

Although I'll catch a later airing since I'll be watching NCIS at 8pm.
Flag
I'm down.
Flag
Come Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - my body is ready :)

I can't wait to see the pilot! Who's going to review the show?
Flag
Staff
Me!
Flag
Can't wait to read your take!
Flag
whats wrong with the poll?
Flag
I thought that too. Someone has been multiple voting, me thinks.

I hope it doesn't turn into another My-Little-Pony-Gate!
Flag
My-Little-Pony-Gate? Have I missed out on something? Do tell!
Flag
It was just a joke but it stems from The TV.com Awards, I can't find the page so I can't link to it, but My Little Pony won the best animated show with millions of votes - more than all the other shows in all the other categories put together (or something like that) and more votes than the show actually has viewers. Some of us think that a computer program was set up to vote for it every 20 seconds or so, which obviously rigged the vote.
It's doesn't sound funny when you have to explain it!
Flag
lol. That did actually sound funny!
Flag
Staff
We're looking in to it!
Flag
Pretty much excited!
Flag
yep
Flag
Anything Joss Whedon and I'm there. Duh
Flag
Anything Avengers related and I'm there. Go Coulson!
Flag
You could have said there's a new Joss Whedon series called Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. with Agent Coulson leading a cast of monkeys and hampsters and I am so in and already hooked.
Flag
Hey! Is that type of genre your type of show? if yes, then, why ask the question? nobody but YOU will know if this show is good or not.. for you.

If this is your type of show, then you should give it a try,

If you would like it to be your type of show you give it a try,

If it's not your cup of tea so to speak, just pass on.

That being said, regardless of the 'pre-screening' done by TV.com or anyone else for that matter, I think you should be your own person and act like a big girl and decide for yourself, based solely on the merits of the trailers that have been made available for the show. Not by any good and/or bad comments about the show.

Cheers!
Flag
just yes.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members