Tuesday 10:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 20, 2016)

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: S01E16 "End of the Beginning"

The aptly titled "End of the Beginning" was the first of seven episodes left in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. freshman season, but more importantly it was the first of seven episodes IN A ROW. We can argue all day about the annoying scheduling of the series this season, but there was method to ABC's madness, and I have a sneaking suspicion it was because they wanted and needed Captain America: The Winter Soldier to hit theaters between this episode and next week's, which I suspect will be heavily impacted by the film's events. "End of the Beginning" finally began delivering on all of the promises the series made up until this point. It featured someone with "superpowers" in Deathlok's reappearance and subsequent weaponization, which is exactly what fans have been waiting for. There was also the birth of a real villain after Skye's research helped Coulson discover that the Clairvoyant probably wasn't psychic, but rather a high-ranking S.H.I.E.L.D. agent with access to everyone's psychological evaluations. And most importantly, the episode featured a fractured team turning on one another, which always raises the stakes and makes for good drama. 

There's probably not a fan out there who believes Agent May is working for the Clairvoyant, but with the tension turned up to 11 and the discovery of her encrypted secure phone line, it makes sense that Coulson and Fitz were quick to jump to that conclusion. As I mentioned before, it's more likely that she's reporting to someone like Director Fury and was placed on Coulson's team specifically to monitor him, but the sudden distrust amongst the team and May's refusal to explain what exactly she's been doing makes for not only great drama, but the kind of exciting drama this series desperately needed. 

Who is the Clairvoyant, though? If it wasn't Brad Dourif's Thomas Nash (excellent casting, by the way) and Skye's correct in that it's a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, that means Handsome killed the wrong man for chivalrous but stupid reasons. But who is the man behind the curtain? The show seems to be suggesting it's not a man at all, but Saffron Burrows' Agent Hand. The episode ended with her order to kill Coulson and his team upon arrival at the Hub. She's definitely up to no good, but I don't feel comfortable jumping right from obviously evil to Clairvoyant. There are still six episodes remaining this season, and she'll probably throw a wrench in to the remaining episodes, but to reveal her as the Big Bad at this point feels like a red herring. 

Awhile ago I posited the idea that S.H.I.E.L.D. wasn't trustworthy, that Coulson would be turning against the organization he's blindly served in the past, and it's looking more and more like I was right. There are big problems within the ranks of S.H.I.E.L.D., and it would not surprise me if Hand's betrayal and whatever occurs next week as a result of Captain America, will be what ultimately results in Coulson completely giving S.H.I.E.L.D. the finger. He's always played by the rules and toed the company line, but now that he suspects he's fighting a villain with security clearance and not psychic powers, he's going to need to keep his team close. Unfortunately, his team is fracturing before his eyes. May has been spying on him, Handsome disobeyed orders by killing the person he thought to be the Clairvoyant (thus leading Coulson to suspect him of working against the team), and Simmons' loyalty has already come in to question in the aftermath of the miracle cure that saved Skye's life. I feel good saying the team will reunite and hugs will be exchanged but there's a lot that has to happen before that's possible. 

Simmons is currently separated from the rest of the team because she opted to remain at the Hub with the hope of running further analyses on Skye's blood despite Coulson's orders not to. Her inner battle between doing what's right for her team versus doing what's right as an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. is about to come into question, too. At the Hub, she's in the hands of Coulson's enemy, which hopefully means we're about to see Simmons really come into her own as an agent. When the series began, she and Fitz were both very innocent having never spent time in the field. Over the course of the season, they've both proven to be assets to the team, and I sincerely hope that's where we are headed next week. 

As for Handsome, I think this week's developments have made me more Team Handsome than I've ever been before. There were several reasons why I gave Ward the nickname Agent Handsome when I first began reviewing Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on a weekly basis. First and foremost, I saw Brett Dalton's face. It's a really beautiful face. It was more than that, though; When Handsome was introduced, he didn't play well with others, he was closed off, and his character was the least developed and most stiff of Coulson's team. To put it another way, Handsome didn't really have much going on other than the fact that he was handsome. It was because he needed the most work that I've been harder on him than the rest of the team. He still needs a lot of work—S.H.I.E.L.D. wasn't built in a day—but ever since Skye was shot in "T.R.A.C.K.S.", he's felt like a different character. Maybe it's because his anger in the aftermath felt genuine and wasn't the act of an Asgardian Beserker staff or pent up family resentment. Maybe it's because he reacted as a human being and not as an agent first. "End of the Beginning" was another instance in which Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. saw a way to bring Handsome's humanity and anger together and it worked. 

Unfortunately, it also backfired for the team. Handsome's obvious feelings for Skye, who is now an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., managed to elevate his character from prickly robot to real man, but shooting Nash for threatening Sky was rash and impulsive and stupid. Yes, it proved Handsome was human, but it also made him appear untrustworthy and erratic to his team. Before Agent Hand's trickery, he was supposed to go before a S.H.I.E.L.D. review board for his actions, and he doesn't even regret that he let his anger get the best of him. Handsome spent so many years repressing his feelings, that they appear to be spilling over the flood gates now. He's going to need to reign them in and find a happy medium before he can be an asset to his team. 

"End of the Beginning" was the really fun, action-packed episode that I've been waiting for. All of the puzzle pieces are beginning to come together to setup the rest of the season, and I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to sleep until next Tuesday's episode, because it looks like it's only going to get better.

NOTE: Because Captain America won't be released in the U.S. until Friday, please try to refrain from discussing the events of the film in the comments if you've already seen it. Even though you're not giving away specific plot points, even mentioning it might ruin it for some of the American fans. Thanks, guys!

DECLASSIFIED CASE FILES

– I'm ready for Deathlok to be a real villain and not just a weapon controlled by the Clairvoyant.

– More Bill Paxton forever, okay, show? Cool.

–  Is it just me or is Agent Sitwell shady?

– "Strange is such a subjective term."

– "You wear your heart on your sleeve. And your face."

– "You don't believe in the Clairvoyant, but you believe in astrology?" 

– "Well don't you seem awfully chipper to pack up and leave me by my lonesome!" 

thekaitling:list:agents-of-shield-what-did-you-think-of-end-of-the-beginning/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/17/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

267 Comments
Comments (267)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Fitz's face when he realised Simmons would be staying at the Hub with Sitwell. What a wee dote! So cute!
Flag
SO do I need to watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier before the next episode?? Will that ruin or improve next episode??
Is this going to be like the releases of Thor: The Dark World, where it fitted perfectly into the show (if you saw the movie opening week)?
Flag
My opinions about this episode are:

1) Victoria Hand is a bitch. But an honest one. She just ordered her men to take in custody all other agents and leave Caulson to her. If she wanted kill them there is no reason to keep Caulson alive or not order to capture him alive. If the episode happen in parallel to Captain America WS, Victoria Hand is just taking down the airplane and doing a check on them all for Hydra infiltrators and could just be named as ad-interim Fury replacement and the Hub now would be the SHIELD headquarter instead of the now destroyed Triskelion (no spoilers, you can see these from the trailers and teasers).

2) Melinda May is working for Fury/SHIELD, not anyone else. She was evidently placed in the team to protect/look for Coulson. Nick Fury went in big troubles to have Coulson back (so Coulson is very valuable for him), not keeping an eye on him would be strange. And agent May know already something about TAHITI, as she say "He knows". Probably what "damaged" May in the past could be linked to TAHITI or, at least, she know about it.
Naming Stephen Strange (in CA:WS) indicate the SHIELD know something about the paranormal/occult world.

3) Looking at TAHITI, I would say the trunk in the fluid was
Frankenstein's Monster or something like it. Maybe the fluid is not the product of science but some magic.

4) The Clairvoyant is, in my opinion, the AI of Arnim Zola. This would explain
a) why he/it had access to high level secrets of SHIELD but know nothing about TAHITI
b) the type font used by the Clairvoyant are similar/the same of the data font used by AI Zola.
c) I doubt Zola, being the bastard he is, would allow itself to be killed by the missile strike he called. If he is an AI, he could have more backups of itself (he was backed up in the '70)
d) Centipede is the time of research he excelled in.
e) The Colonel killed in Ep11 by the Clairvoyant called him "my old friend", so they could be friend before Zola died.

5) The route of the BUS is toward Europe and they are hijacked on the sea near New York. The HUB is somewhere in Europe. Nick Fury move in Europe after CAWS.

6) Gemma Siemens is at the HUB. So she would probably help them, not the reverse. It is something Whedon do. He put hint ("You will need my at soe time anyway") and then it is the reverse. Why the call was cut down? SHIELD going in shut-down emergency mode after the Triskelion?

7) Skye could be from somewhere else. Asgard? Or some even more different. What if some demonic force want her for some of her gift. We remember she was hunted down already when she was an infant. By some entity very powerful and able to track down agents of SHIELD easily without leaving traces. She could be a "miracle".

More+
Flag
Was there something just before the credits this week (you know that two minute "WTF" scene that always happens)? I didn't catch anything on my recording and I'm afraid i missed it.
Flag
OMG, that was such an amazing episode! I'm still trying to figure out who's the Clairvoyant, since there's no way it's agent Hand, she's a red herring. She gave herself away by leaving the bus once she heard Coulson's plan, and the Clairvoyant's been way too cagey to make such an obvious move. But I also figure it's not May; I'm still not too sure about Ward, but I'm positive about May. I'm also not too sure about Sitwell either, he's too cagey and may be a bad guy too.

I'm very worried about Simmons, talk about being in a viper's nest! But I'm confident she'll figure out what's going on. I'm more concerned about what she'll find out about Skye's blood. I'm even more worried about what will happen when Coulson finds out what she's really up to. I mean it will eventually come out why Fitz found out about the encrypted line.

Deathlok is so cool!! I can't wait to see what happens next with him and the Clairvoyant!!!
Flag
Everything is explained in Captain America: The winter soldier, even the identity of the Clairvoyant. Awesome movie by the way!!
Flag
Author: "Please don't discuss Captain America in any way, thanks!"

... "Well, don't mind if I do!"
Flag
Somehow it felt like we got some answers this episde, very smartly done hints...
May i somehow don't believe that she is the bad guy...don't know why...there is more to that story then she is telling..
Skye is now SHIELD...i like!!! That was cool and fun...even Agent Hand, didn't like the idea, but she had something against Skye from the beginning...
Poor Deathlok, for a moment when they started about his son, he looked so troubled, like he didn't want to do this at all, but had no choice...that was cool to see...beside i expected a bit more action from Deathlok then shouting things from his arm...
Can't wait for the next 6 episode!!!
Flag
Caulson kept asking Handsome who asked him to do that, and Handsome is convinced he was the one deciding. However, he did have that conversation with the other fellow agent that was ready to kill the Clairvoyant. I'm wondering, is there an agent around here that can influence behaviour? They were talking about Shield recruiting this type of skill in the same episode! It would explain this otherwise totally random act from Handsome. Even given his feelings for Skye, it's just too much to believe.
Flag
Great episode I love that I didn't see Ward shooting creepy guy coming, it just happened which was brilliant. I like Wards softness when it comes to Skye, it's nice to see. Overall a solid episode and Bill Paxton's character needs to stay forever.
Flag
Nice episode! Finally this show is going somewhere, maybe a good place.
I don't think Agent Hand is the Clairvoyant. She is merely following orders, given by the same agent who is behind the activation of the Winter Soldier. And it is not any agent, is a director that is above Fury.
The way I see the Clairvoyant is not even human. Maybe Ultron is the Clairvoyant, not exactly Ultron but the AI that will become Ultron. With the corruption inside S.H.I.E.L.D becoming open the control of the agency will be taken out of human hands, that's when Ultron comes into play. Maybe that is the force "Nash" told Coulson it is coming for him.
Flag
I have to agree that this episode really seemed to bring things together and moved all aspects of the show forward and starting to point them in the same direction.
.. nice job!
I always liked how Agent Ward took it on himself to be big brother / protector of the team, and his frustration when he is unable to keep them all safe has felt very real and was the first crack in his armor I thought.
"Bet the clairvoyant didn't see that coming" lol good one Agent Hand"
A week it starting to seem to long to wait!
Bravo!

Flag
Marvelous episode!! Deathlok was badass although not feeling the suit. So is Hand the clairvoyant or is she working for the real clairvoyant?
Flag
I have the impression they're still 'building' the Deathlok suit. Mike got the 'missile arm' this episode, maybe he'll get more and more parts in the next episodes? ;) The suit is still a bit 'empty' for now. The red eye is very creepy and awesome though. ;)
Flag
Ya the missile arm was sweet!! haha
Flag
Agent Hand: "Bet the clairvoyant didn't see that one coming."
I think she said that because she is the clairvoyant and she actually didn't see that coming.
And of course I could be wrong too...
I'm no clairvoyant but I sense a great final run for this season :)
Flag
Im more inclined that while Fury might have May spy on Coulson, Fury was more likely making sure Coulson isn't affected by Clairvoyant. I think Fury knew there's something wrong with SHIELD. I think everything points to HYDRA taking complete control over SHIELD. Not the first time an organization is infiltrated and disabled from inside.

If SHIELD is compromised, it's this show that all SHIELD related events will unfold, not in movies, whether it's gonna be reformed or dismantled for good.

So don't be suprised if you see Fury and our lovely Agents work together in the season finale :D
Flag
Oh, i havent seen CAP 2 movie yet. So it's just what i think.
Flag
are you going by the comics ?
Flag
No i read bits here and there. I wouldnt like a "oh but we thought we were working for the good guys" cliche.
Flag
My geek-o-meter went through the roof when they mentioned Department H. Can't get enough Marvel references.
Flag
Can we say Alpha Flight? I knew we could. :D
Flag
Good episode at least they all mistrusting each other the show needed that otherwise its boring , I do think May is working for Agent Fury undercover but I agree with the review above the show needs that. Also Agent Hand brought them back because May was caught out and Nash got killed stupid move by Handsome , I don't know how this fits in with Captain America No Spoilers please, I am shocked that us brits get to see a box office movie before the USA whats next how about you can have our samples of British dishes like Bubble and Squeak , Toad in the Hole Etc. Crossing the Hands over the ocean and all that LOL
Flag
A major question being raised by this episode is: Who is Skye? Assuming that The Clairvoyant is a Shield AI, it would be no big mystery why it would want Skye eliminated. Skye is a brilliant hacker and therefore the biggest threat to the AI's existence. But what about what The Clairvoyant said about wanting something inside Skye and it's taking it and killing Skye in the process? And what did they mean by events beyond Coulson's comprehension? This may be something of a stretch but I'm beginning to think that Skye is a character that only just recently entered into the regular Marvel Universe. In the 1980s, Marvel created a separate imprint and consequently a New Universe, with a whole new set of superhumans. This fizzled out after a few years but they revised it again a decade ago and called it New Universal. Recently, the revived it a third time and began to get some of the characters to move into Earth 616, the regular Marvel Universe. One of the characters in that world was called Nightmask. In the revival Nightmask was a Japanese-American tech savvy girl named Izzy Randal who was chosen to be this generations Nightmask. The Nightmask was chosen by an virtually omniscient alien sentient machine at the Nexus of realities to link with it and facilitate change during a paradign shift. What if Skye is the Nightmask and The Clairvoyant finding this out wants to rip away the link so that it can control the alien machine?
More+
Flag
That theory even sounds reasonable... I don't know anything about this Marvel New Universal (sounds interesting!), but how you describe it... Skye has always said that computer sciences 'comes natural' to her. What if it literally dóes come 'natural' to her, because she actually has something inside her that makes her understand computers so easily? This is gonna be an interesting couple of episodes :) Can't wait to see how all of this develops over the last part of the season. :)
Flag
All those people who gave up on the show and stopped watching... they made a mistake.
Flag
I couldn't agree more. From the beginning I felt like I was watching a different show than they were. Personally I'm glad they're gone. Less crying this way.
Flag
yes they did. but then again for us still watching we could still get stung ;)
Flag
Great episode, one of the best of SH.I.E.L.D. thus far... but, truthfully, that's not why I am here.

I just saw Captain America: Winter Soldier at an advanced screening. Great movie - definitely on the same level than Iron Man and The Avengers. It's also a humongous game-changer in the entire Marvel Universe, especially in relation to this TV show. In fact, events unfolding in this film are so major that even hinting you about then kinda make me look like a douche - which, evidently, there's a lot of around here (seriously, to all the people spoiling the movie to other readers around here: you are a bunch of trolling a-holes.) Which is why another discussion forum seems to be necessary here.

Please go to Possible Futures for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in light of the events depicted in Captain America: Winter Soldier (yes, it's a mouthful) if you want to discuss at length about what went down in the movie and how you think the impact of it all will be felt on the TV series. I'm pretty damn sure TV.com would have created such a post anyway as soon as one of their writers saw the film, so might as well get the ball rolling right away (seriously, Kaitlin, go see Winter Soldier this weekend, unless you have a major family thing you must go to. Game-changer... I am so not over-selling it.)

See you all on the other side.
More+
Flag
As soon as Ward and Skye kiss in done
Flag
good riddance !
Flag
Well with him kinda leaving the team, I winf have to sit and watch May and Skye stare at each other from across the room. "while trying to work together" cuz they family
Flag
90% chance the clairvoyant is paxton because casting. 5% chance it's someone we've never seen because bad writing. 4% chance it's someone we've seen once or twice, &1% chance it's stilwell because red herring.
Flag
sitwell ?

it's hand imho.
Flag
All the stuff in the episode was great but what really got my attention is the way Deathlok is losing his humanity by becoming increasingly cyborg, an anti-Robocop, if you follow my drift.
Flag
the suit looks stupid though.
Flag
At this point it does, but to be frank, Deathlok was never the paragon of beauty,lol.
Flag
true dat
Flag
So, we pretty much know may knows about how coulson was healed and we know the clairvoyant wants that information, so zero chance of may working for the clairvoyant and pretty much 100% chance it's fury. No suspense. Ward's the only interesting mystery at this point.
Flag
100% it's Fury? Why? He was the one ordering the surgeries to bring Coulson back to live, so he is actually the ONE PERSON who did actually know how Coulson was brought back. That makes him absolutely 0% chance at being the clairvoyant. Other than him just... NOT... being the clairvoyant, for obvious reasons like he's one of the most important and most consistent Marvel Studios characters.
Flag
100% chance its fury may is working for fury rather than her working for the clairvoyant.
Flag
Haha whoops, I read it all wrong, my bad! :) It's definately Fury, yes, I agree.
Flag
...and the first sneak peak of the next episode shows that it is indeed Fury May has been communicating with (at least if she's telling the truth, but I believe her). :)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode. Tight sequencing, great story line, unexpected twists and turns. The only downside for me are some of the wasted lines within scenes. Someone makes a remark that seems awkward or out of place. Not a huge deal, but I noticed it. I'm looking forward to the next episode. Overall very nice work, guys.
Flag
I am figuring that the stinger with Hand is designed to mislead, not to indicate that she is the "Clairvoyant." I am curious, though, how much CA: WS a viewer would need to know to make sense of the conspiracy within SHIELD...
Flag
After getting through this season(and it has been a chore!!) I agree with the reviewer. Finally everything they've been building up came into play..best episode of the season..Grade=A
I am hyped for Winter Soldier and its consequences to Marvel Universe!!!
NUFF SAID!!!
Flag
if you voted for This is the end all right... of me watching this show.
You're either a troll or you should of stopped watching long ago... this was one of the best episodes of the series and I look forward to the remaining episodes.
Flag
Looking at May, she's too bad ass to be really bad. Most likely to monitor Coulson to prevent him from doing something beside himself after TAHITI. The series is gr8 by itself. Dun need no whimpy Capt Am to jack up the ratings. Go SHIELD!
Flag
This show has really turned it around,
Flag
There is no more shield at the end of the winter soldier.
Flag
SHIELD is an espionage agency. They've just retreated to the shadows, out of the public eye. Another scandal will take it's place in a day or 2 and John Q Public will forget the name.
Flag
i hope that's you being sarcastic. otherwise, you're a complete twat.
Flag
isnt that what everyone has been saying since before the premiere?
Flag
well imho shield lives on in the faithfull agents.
Flag
Amazing episode. the Whedon's couple (Jed and Maurissa) are not that bad after all.
Flag
I couldn't care less for Captain America/ Batman/ Thor / Green Lantern story threads to Agents of Shield. I watch AoS as a stand alone event and its just fine the way it is!!!
Flag
Finally!! This episode was awesome and I hope they keep it that way,.
-Yes more bill paxton!
- I don't like agent ward and I certainly don't like skye and him together.
-May is not one of the bad guys, I believe her.
-Simmons should trust in coulson.
And what happens in Captain America??? PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME!! I'm not going to watch it, so it's ok I love spoilers lol
Flag
http://www.tv.com/shows/marvels-agents-of-shield/community/post/possible-futures-for-agents-of-shield-in-light-of-the-events-depicted-in-captain-america-winter-soldier-1396499459/

If you want to know about all that happens in CA, you probably should look here. I haven't read it yet (still thinking about seeing the movie soon), but I guess it's full of spoilers on the CA movie! Good luck ;)
Flag
I'm sure the series will tell you exacly what happens when they address that storyline!
Flag
We can't... we have to be friends to you american fans :D but you really should see it: the movie is so awesome and easily the best marvel film to date. The action is so awesome and well coreographed :D Also it will heavily impact the show: in more ways than you could possibly imagine.

Also: "– Is it just me or is Agent Sitwell shady?"
:D &- mischievous smile
Flag
I'll make it brief (yeah, sure):

- I hate the possibility of May being one of the bad guys and on this episode I really bought it for a moment (she overhearing Fitzsimmons's conversation and asking them to tell her their worries about Coulson or Skye anytime, then she being assigned to where Deathlok was at), but I'm sure she's on comms with Nick Fury (most likely to look out for Coulson and the GH325's effects on him, not to spy on him per se).

- I love all the who-the-hell-is-the-bad-guy that they've started with this episode, because first we have May (and Coulson, Skye and Fitz suspecting about her), but then we also have the vegetable-guy (I don't remember his name), that was not the Clairvoyant, obviously. But that sets a wide open door: did really Ward shoot him out of rage for what he (?) was saying about Skye? Or is he a mole? I agree with some of you here on Garret being too nice to be good... I hope I'm wrong! Because I like him but it's suspicious. And I hated that bitch since she wanted to leave Ward and Fitz to rot themselves in Ossetia...

- I don't like how they're pushing into us Ward's crush on Skye... it's unnatural, you can't go from no-feelings to I love you and I want to protect you even if it costs me my career in a week, even with a life/death situation like Skye has been through. I liked robot Ward much more, although I can tolerate a more human Ward (wanting to protect his team, not just one person because he has a crush on her).

- My finals words are for Fitzsimmons. Can we just give them a bow? For being the only ones who trully think (rationally) on this show. I mean, Simmons heads to the Hub specifically to run some analysis on Skye's blood because Coulson won't let her do them on the BUS and Fitz finds a suspicious wire, follows it and ties up loose ends... and the poor thing is so afraid of what it could mean that he almost spill a tear while telling Skye. And I swear I'll slap a bitch if somebody makes Fitz cry. And then he builds up courage again and locked himself on the lab! I would be killed by that time if it happens to me... As Kaitlin, now that Jemma's on Hand's hands (weird) I hope too that we'll see her standing her grounds before Agent Hand.

Fin.
More+
Flag
Just watched the new episode (it's getting so much better!) and haven't seen Cap 2 yet, but i'm just throwing it out there just in case and I come off looking like a genius... Skye ends up being the clairvoyant!
1) She's an 084, but we don't know what kind of kooky powers she might or might not have.
2) The Clairvoyant is overly interested in Coulson and what happened after he died... Skye has now died (briefly, kind of, almost, right?) and had some of the miracle cure that Coulson received to heal her up.
3) She's like Rain Man on a PC, she could have had hacked into SHIELD somehow to get all the files and info...
Who would suspect her?!! No-one apparently!!
OK, I'm probably (let's say almost definitely) wrong about this, but it's a theory and it's all I've got!!! Bring on next week
Flag
Mmm.... for this theory to work Skye should have had a way higher clearance level all this time. Unless she has the 'power' to hack her way in without SHIELD being aware of that. But I think that's doubtful ;) Nice theory, but not very probable (would be the most awesome twist in an american series ever, though :P )
Flag
skye was tagged so she was restricted. so no
Flag
I want Bill Paxton to be a star in this show, that man brings so much awesomeness whenever he's on screen. Make him a recurring character Joss!
Flag
It was a good episode and I have seen Capt America 2.
After watching the film I now have bigger questions about the direction the series will progress into - but I'll wait until next weeks episode so as not to ruin either the film or the upcoming episode.

It is interesting that the movies are tying into the series though - there are 6 episodes left, so it might give a hint at what direction the Marvel movies will progress
Flag
I want to know!!
Flag
I can send you a private message if you really want to know
Flag
please!!!
Flag
sent you a msg
Flag
I've seen Captain America TWS So I will restrain myself from commenting about the episode.
But what is wrong with people? Can't you read? The reviewer is asking you politely and you have to be jerks? I hate spoilers, it prevents you from fully enjoy something. But apparently some people take pleasure in ruining plots for everyone else. Those people should be banned.
Flag
some people like being a jerk/twat/ take your pick of insults
Flag
The show does get better every new ep!
Flag
It was a good episode. I appreciate the turn around of the quality, I think the show is getting better as it progresses. And I look forward to seeing what they come up with for the rest of the season.
Flag
I one hundred percent guarantee agent Hand is not the clairvoyant. She's a stone cold ball busting bitch, but any fan of the comics can tell you that the reason she is that way is because she's a true believer. My money is on Bill Paxton's character. He's too nice, and keeps being in just the right place at just the right time.
Flag
Yeah. I think its:
1) Bill Paxton's The Clairvoyant and Ward is his mole in the team.
2) Fitz is from Hydra.
3) May is Fury loyalist in contact with Fury
4) Hand is just a by-the-book SHIELD agent who knows none of the above stuff and is trying to do her job.
Flag
Fitz being from Hydra? That would be just mindblowing xD Why do you think so?
Flag
Mainly because of May's reaction to him in the end of episode - She does not try to shoot Coulson and she only tries to explain herself when Coulson is there, while she reacts in a very panicked way to Fitz, even trying to shoot him. The only way to explain that is if she suspects him being from Hydra
Flag
I did find weird May's reaction. I wondered how would she explain Fitz's shot (even if it was just a dendrotoxin gun). Someone entered the BUS and shot Fitz? Fitz stumbled, hit himself in the head with something and passed out? That wasn't to erase Fitz's suspicions about her anyway. I think she was just trying to gain some time to think how she were going to keep her secret from the team.

Anyway, I spent the whole morning thinking about your idea of Fitz being a bad guy and fooling all of us and it hasn't been pleasant xD It's like picturing a little pony with cotton candy mane as a serial killer. It's just wrong. They're two things that can't be joined in the same mental image.
Flag
I felt like she was trying to control the situation. She needed to stop Fitz before he potentially leaked her secret to anyone else, which is why she was using the ICE gun.
Flag
Awesome episode. It was action packed, had enough twists and drama to make it captivating.
Flag
All the "hahaha yeah Sitwell is shady *winkyface*" commenters need to take a long hard look at the NOTE at the end of the review. I don't care that it's not an outright spoiler, thanks to you I'll now probably watch The Winder Soldier waiting for him to do something instead of letting myself be sucked in by the story.
Flag
The best episode of the series so far BY A COUNTRY MILE.

Being in the UK, I saw Cap 2 the day it came out and I'm glad I did see it before this episode as it makes the whole thing a lot clearer. Everything about this episode is twice as awesome when you have seen it. The little references were sweet - Sitwell going to the Lemurian Star as a throwaway line is actually very significant in the bigger picture.

I cannot wait to see the fallout this episode and Winter Soldier have on the show's continuity. I'll say no more for fear of spoilers being revealed!
Flag
Obviously u people arent comic fans. You insist on giving nicknames like this is fricking greys anatomy. What a joke!!! Let me break it down for you. Agent ward is not a bad guy. Finding nash was all a ruse set up by agent blake. He is a part of Zodiac. He dropped a reference about astrology to agent may. He fired the tracker into deathlok in order to lead the team to nash. Note he did not die! Mays communications have been going to director fury because shield is goinG through dark times a la the new captain america movie. If u people knew anything abouy comics you wouldve put this together already. Youre welcome...
Flag
Did someone forget to put you down for your nap?
Flag
The twist was a little obvious but still a decent episode. However I don't by the whole Ward is so much in love with Skye that he'll kill a man in cold blood.
Flag
The effect of the asgardian relic made ward have a more difficult time controlling anger. I just assumed that was what pushed him over the edge.
Flag
Agreed. There's got to be more to his behavior and my money's on him being under Clairvoyant's(Agent Garret's) paycheck.
Flag
Seeing someone you love/have strong feelings for come extremely close to death can bring out a side of you you never even knew you had. I agree it does seem like a stretch in that we haven't personally been witness to much of his emotional development, but hopefully that just means they'll expand upon it even more.
Flag
On the note about Deathlok, from what I recall in the comics, his character began very similarly, being controlled through technology, but became something more of an anti-hero/good guy after getting free of his controllers. I expect we will see a similar path here of Michael/Deathlok becoming a good guy, rather than a villain. But I guess we'll see.
Flag
I am thinking the same. Once he gets enough tech he will turn against Centipede and maybe even become a recurring cast member in S2, working to locate the people who did this to him.
Flag
So... I'm part of the "yay this show is going to be awesome, waiting for it, i give up, wait? its good? catch up on hulu and now i'm up to speed in the craziness" train. And I'm glad. With the crazy scheduling may have been the best thing for the show. I mean really, it was developing slowly. But in the slow moments, we got to see nuggets of potential that are starting to really pay off. Looking forward to watching cap this friday and finally seeing how the whole marvel universe ties together and S.H.I.E.L.D not being a buffer for the movies but a good story in it's own right. :)

Episode specifics that loved and kind of broke my heart?
1. Fitz's look when May shot at him.
2. Ward yelling at coulson. He knew it was stupid but like you said its a flood gate of emotions that he's repressed for so long.
3. Brad dourif... man the dude can just sit there and act his pants off.
4. Trip and Simmons. Here's me hoping that if they go with the fact that Simmons is in danger because she's in the Hub, atleast she's got someone to look out for her.

episode questions i had though...
1. If tom nash was the "clairvoyant" candidate... why did the other teams look like they were kind of walking into an ambush? coulson/garrett with the convenient detour, ward/trip with the no guard prison?
2. It's obvious that ward has feelings for skye, but is it mutual? I mean for her they seem downplayed to almost non existent in lieu of developing the father daughter bond between her and coulson. maybe I missed something?
More+
Flag
Agent Sitwell doesn't sit well with me!
Flag
I thought it was a great episode. I am really liking the development of the relationships. I love the father daughter relationship between Coulson and Skye. It was also so cool when Skye became an agent. I also really love the developing relationship between Ward and Skye. I really liked Ward's development in this episode. I really liked Bill Paxton's character's description that Ward had spent so long repressing his emotion and that being in a team and around Skye had really changed him. I think that maybe why he went a little too far is because he repressed his emotions for so long.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members