Tuesday 10:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 20, 2016)

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: S01E05: "Girl in the Flower Dress"

First, I apologize for the lateness of this review. My DVR ate the second half of "Girl in the Flower Dress" so I had to break it into a thousand pieces, throw them out the window, and then light them on fire. And then I had to watch the rest of the episode online. But I did, so now let's chat about it!

With each passing week, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is becoming a more fully developed series. We're learning more about our team (or we're learning more about Skye), and each new episode, while still procedural in nature, has been stronger than those that preceded it. This week's case was also directly connected to two of the series' ongoing story arcs—Extremis and the secret life of Skye—which automatically makes "Girl in the Flower Dress" a winner in my book. 

Let's tackle Skye first, because she's S.H.I.E.L.D.'s most accessible character. For weeks we've been wondering what Skye's true motives are. We've been wondering where her true allegiances lie since the second episode of the series, when she signed on as a consultant to the team. Is she with S.H.I.E.L.D. or the Rising Tide? In "Girl in the Flower Dress," we discovered that the answer is neither. Skye's only allegiance is to herself and to her van. And depending on the situation, S.H.I.E.L.D. is a distant third. Everything she's done, including joining Rising Tide and then joining S.H.I.E.L.D., has been to find out who she is and who her parents are. 

We already knew that Skye essentially raised herself, that she grew up in the system, but we never knew why. And as it turns out, neither did she. Everything she knows about her parents can be traced back to a single S.H.I.E.L.D. document that looks like the list I received from my high school guidance counselor after I told her my hopes and dreams. Everything was blacked out or redacted, so Skye became a hacker and eventually joined the team with the hope that she'd one day be able to find out more information about her own past. Seems legit, no? I'd want to know who my birth parents were, especially if they were somehow involved with S.H.I.E.L.D. Were they good guys? Bad guys? Carnies? Is she a test tube baby conceived as part of a S.H.I.E.L.D. experiment? It's still unclear whether Skye has actually had the chance to really dive into the search, especially because she's not a full agent and probably has little to no clearance at the moment. But it doesn't look like she's going to get the opportunity any time soon, either.

Agent Coulson—feeling less betrayed than he was when he first discovered that Skye had been lying to him and that she had her own agenda for joining the team—told her that she might actually be better off living in the dark (obviously this statement was as much about Skye as it was Coulson's own past). There's a reason people say ignorance is bliss, and it's that sometimes ignorance really is better than knowing the truth. In the end, Skye was allowed to remain a member of the team (I guess?), but with S.H.I.E.L.D.'s version of a shock collar; she now has to wear a bracelet that probably zaps her and/or severely injures her if she tries to do anything involving electronics. But hey, at least it's fashionable, right?

We also met Skye's mentor and part-time lover, Miles Lydon, in "Girl in the Flower Dress." But he wasn't who Skye thought he was and she gave him the official boot by episode's end. For all of his talk about freedom of information, he was still willing to accept a $1M paycheck in exchange for some information, which was not cool in Skye's book. Especially since the information he sold was about Chan Ho Yin, a man from Hong Kong with pyro-kinetic abilities, and who was directly related to a S.H.I.E.L.D. case. And that's how the case of the week tied both Skye's arc and the Extremis arc together.

Lydon sold the information to a Centipede research lab in Hong Kong believing it really was an ecological research lab, so in his defense, he really didn't know what would happen. (But in defense of good ol' fashioned common sense: What the hell would an eco-lab want with S.H.I.E.L.D. information? Lydon might be computer smart, but he doesn't really seem smart smart. Just saying). Lydon had no idea that Shannon Lucio would return as Doctor Debbie from the pilot and inject Chan—who was given the name Scorch (LOL) by the mysterious girl in the flower dress (who, as we later learned, was named Raina)—with the Extremis serum. 

As Debbie had expected, the blood platelets in Chan's blood that kept him from being burned by the fire he could create, also acted as a stabilizer for the Extremis. Naturally, she ordered him drained of blood so they could stabilize the serum for their army of toy soldiers. S.H.I.E.L.D. was eventually able to intervene, but Chan had had a taste of the power that the serum gave him and injected himself with more. A kerfuffle ensued and Coulson and May were forced to make the hard call of injecting him twice more, which eventually caused the reaction we've come to recognize with Extremis: combustion. R.I.P. Scorch, we hardly even had the chance to laugh at your catchphrase, "You just got scorched!"

While Skye's arc wasn't exactly a mind blowing reveal, it was definitely a new piece to the Skye puzzle and character development is never a bad thing. I really thought her Rising Tide/S.H.I.E.L.D. allegiance would end up being a major plot point towards the end of the season, and I suppose it still could come in to play, but now that we know her true motives, it looks like the search for her parents will become Skye's larger arc instead, which is kind of boring in my very important opinion. Her relationship with Agent Handsome has also now been strained, because he feels betrayed by her actions (and because he refused to sit in on her meeting with Coulson, he doesn't know the truth about her real objectives).  

As for the Extremis arc and what it means going forward: with Chan's blood, the Big Bad can now move forward with their army of super soldiers. We still don't know much more than that, which is okay. This is a season-long story and we're only five episodes in. I'm just glad we're starting to move towards some semblance of serialized storytelling, tying in cases of the week with the overarching stories of the season. Keep it up, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.; you're doing all right. 

DECLASSIFIED CASE FILES

– Fight scenes, guys. Work on them. Go watch some episodes of Arrow if you need some inspiration. They could be (and should be) so, so, so much better. 

– What's Stage 3? And is there really someone who's clairvoyant now? After being told last week that there's no evidence of anyone having that ability? Interesting.

– Is Scorch really dead? We didn't see a body!

– Steve Rogers/Captain America shout-out!

– Shannon Lucio died in two shows last night (S.H.I.E.L.D. and Supernatural). Tough luck.

– Bye Austin Nichols, please come back soon because your laid-back scruffyness is the perfect antithesis to Agent Handsome's cold, hard Blue Steel!

– Does Fitz have a crush on Skye? He was really hurt that Skye hadn't said anything about her relationship with Miles. And it seemed to be more than just a friendly hurt. 

– Fitz and Simmons didn't have much to do this week, so I still don't have much to say about them. Please give them more to do than just act as comic relief, show. I enjoy them, but so far they're still just two characters we met in the pilot.

– Handsome: "Make it a double." May: "Is there any other kind?" (May is the best.)

– "Now you're making fun of my van!?" Do NOT insult Skye's van, y'all.

– "So we're good, right?"

– May: "His file say anything about him being homicidal?" Coulson: "Just that he was kind of a tool."

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/17/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

288 Comments
Comments (288)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I really enjoyed this episode ; even if the beginning was a bit weak, the second half was definitely awesome.
The fight scenes don't bother me because imo that's not an "action show" (like the Avengers is an action movie). I liked all the character work on May, Coulson, Ward and Skye, and I felt like the "villains" so to speak are getting more and more interesting.
Plus kudos for killing off the "Doctor", which I thought would be the "villain of the season" at the end of the Pilot. Like at the end of E04, it gives the idea that what SHIELD is fighting against is about something bigger than a few specific people.

Flag
My interest in this episode picked up at ( not including commercials) at 30 min mark. It was just another exercise in SHIELD blandness until Scorch cut loose. I have come to the conclusion this show is not a must see but it is just keeping me interested enough to see what comes next. Grade for the first 30 min=C the last 14-20 min=A. but i do agree with the writer of this ep. The fight scenes need more fine tuning.
Flag
Is Agent Handsome supposed to be about as boring as a block of wood because he literally has minus a personality.
Flag
Well, I have to admit the show is getting better, but only because I really couldn't see it getting worst. The story was sort of decent enough but not much more than that.

Acting is still terrible and the overall thing is still rather boring but at least it's not mind boggling stupid anymore.

Well, passed the first part anyway. What was the dumb idea of telling a guy to close his eyes then a bunch of guys with suits tried to grab him?
Did they teleport in?!? Seriously how long was he keeping his eyes closed and how the heck didn't he hear them come in?

And why did she tell him to open his eyes? Couldn't they just tranq him?

The last scene would have been decent if it wasn't for the stupid Buffy shout out. I mean that stuff should only be used for humor, nothing else.
Flag
They really need to start making Ward look better in the action scenes, the hand-to-hand is rubbish. I'm not sure Arrow is the way to go either, the hand-to-hand is heavily edited. Nice seamless fight scenes would be awesome, but I guess they're very time consuming to get right.
Flag
Of course Fitz has a crush on Skye. She's a girl and she hasn't shot him down yet.

Why insist on using the term 'redacted' when what you're really saying is censored?
I realize that this doesn't really have anything to do with the series but I have often wondered about it.
Flag
I'm pretty sure "redacted" is the correct term, definition-wise.

Redact: "censor or obscure (part of a text) for legal or security purposes."

Censor: "examine (a book, movie, etc.) officially and suppress unacceptable parts of it."

In short, you could use the term, "censored," but it's not as exact or accurate as, "redacted."
Flag
(realize this other point just after posting):

Plus, it makes more sense that this would be the word that Skye associates with the document. It's the legal term that she would have seen when finding the document in the first place.
Flag
"Censored" is something bad guys and communists do, "redacted" is something you have to do to protect the free world and Amerrrica.
(This was sarcasm, in case it wasn't clear.)
Flag
Actually, we learned that "the mysterious girl in the flower dress" was called Raina only a minute or two into the episode. But otherwise a good review :)
Flag
Learning someone's name, in the grand scheme of things, isn't exactly a groundbreaking achievement. For starters it could be a fake name, like Skye. And even if we're assuming Raina is her first name, we don't learn anything else about her other than the fact that she is a gigantic douchenozzle.
Flag
thought the skye looking for parents is interesting as we dont know why shield were interested in them. enjoyed this ep.
Flag
Wow, right now the 'Skye has a secret' storyline is so far completely wasted. Stock boyfriend storyline, really ? Since they are pushing her sexiness, why not be progressive (in 2013 lol) and give her a secret girfriend :P This episode was a cliche chasing a cliche. I'm getting tired of the show. I mean they could have come up with so many more interesting things. The show has no edge, the tone is stil too light!
Flag
I totally agree with your point about Skye's allegiance to The Rising Tide/ SHIELD, Kaitlin. I thought it would have been saved towards the end of the season, and, they you said, I suppose it still could come in to play, but now that we know her true motives, it looks like the search for her parents will become Skye's larger arc, which is definitely boring. I just hope having this reveal so early doesn't make me think it was a lost opportunity for some great drama later on.

I liked May a lot more in this episode, still not sure about Coulson, and Fitz and Simmons still need a lot of work, too.

It's too bad about Shannon Lucio's, I've liked her since The O.C. days, and was hoping she would stick around a lot longer (and thanks for the Supernatural spoiler, btw).
Flag
Someone in an earlier post wanted to know where the evil supersoldiers were. Um....Mike Peterson, and the guy that blew up the doctors lab ring any bells? She and Reyna were clearly working on a stabilizing agent to create more of them. (for some reason the site wouldn't let me reply directly)

Whedon has never been one to reveal everything at once. Even in the halcyon days of Buffy and Angel. This show is coming along nicely.

Flag
This week was the first time that I didn't like an episode since the pilot, but I was very happy when that bitch from the pilot got scorched! Oh well, bad episodes happen sometimes. It happened a few times with Arrow in the beginning.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Thanks for the link! It does look good, but comparing a television series to a major motion picture is a bit of a stretch. Although it looks like Captain America 2 is going to have a lot of things I wish Agents of SHIELD would do, like question the purity of SHIELD's motivations.

We'll have to discuss it once it comes out, it being the first Marvel film released since the beginning of the series and all. Thinking about it now, I bet that Steve Rogers comment was a tie-in promotion for the film, so that everyone who didn't know about him would look him up, and that those who did would be reminded of Captin America. Sneaky stuff.
Flag
Isn't Thor The Dark World preceding The Winter Soldier?
Flag
My bad! Totally spaced. I thought Thor was coming out soon, but then I saw this trailer and thought that must have been the next one... silly me.
Flag
Yes Thor will be out in 2 weeks!!! Cap 2 in March.
Flag
this show is bad... i mean its bad. if josh whedon had space on his dvr for one show and he had to choose between this and the tomorrow people he would watch the tomorrow people... look marvel movies work because it takes the comic book characters and stories and brings them to life... this show is making a new world and its boring... so boring. the vfx look like the same people that did buffy but those people did not improve their skills. its bad its as bad as that giant lizard snake that attacked sunnydale. and the fighting is so weak...i'm tired of watching people in their 40s doing one punches and one high kick after we saw the black widow take a entire room of agents on... now we have this stuff. josh whedon said he wants a new world cos its new show but its not his universe and its a slap in the face of all the characters in the marvel universe that won't get big movies.
Flag
I would agree with everything you said except I don't mind the show being its own thing. The dumb this is the show really is trying hard *not* to be its own thing.

The constatn reminders every 5 seconds that it's about the Avengers is just pathetic. It was nice once or twice, but a gazilion times is just crying for attention not to mention that it constantly reminds us what to comapre this to.

Yes, the fight scenes are terrible, the actors are awful, the script moves from terrible to "meh" at best and the special effects are sort of okay - you know when we actually get to see something.
Flag
Hmm, I'm not sure I would use that Black Widow sequence as a basis to negatively comment and compare against the fight scenes from S.H.I.E.L.D. Compared to the fights in Arrow - again, against multiple foes sometimes - I would agree. But that whole Black Widow sequence was weak as hell too, given she didn't throw a single punch or kick, but apparently knocked people out by simply gymnastically rolling or tripping people to the ground.
Flag
tai chi...its that good
Flag
That must be why May only needs to throw one kick or punch then, as I remember her mentioning doing Tai Chi.
Flag
I really really really want to like this show, but there is something just not working for me. I liked the chemistry between Skye and Miles, it felt like they did know each other. And there is the problem, I had more interest in that 5 min relationship than any of the relationships (or people) on the team (except for May, but that's only a little because she can kick ass). These characters are not believable. Agent Handsome for example 'I've been made' well of course you have, you couldn't stand out more if you were wearing an I'm with SHIELD t-shirt.

Dear Joss, my loyalty to you is being tested, please start to deliver. Thanks.

Flag
Joss is focused on the movies. He's not the showrunner of this show.
Flag
Yeah, the Whedon portion of this show is barely non existant. It's one of those "let's slap my name on a show to give it some buzz and put a lot of cash in my pocket as I do absolutely nothing for it" kind of deals.
Flag
He is an executive producer, he created the show, wrote and directed the first episode, and it's his name attached to it if it tanks. So if it's not going well he should get involved.
Flag
He should. But he only has so much time. He's also kinda supposed to overlook all of Phase 2 -- scripts (including rewrites of scenes if need be), early cuts of the movies, etc.
Flag
I Hate this show. The plot is boring. The show is camping and dull. Yet I watch it every week because of Ming-Na Wen superb actress, beautiful for fifty years old, and she is bada**. Melinda May keep people coming back for more.
Flag
Wow, I thought she was in her lower-to-mid 30s.
Flag
Coulson lost Miles in car chase,if only he had a FLYING CAR!!!
Flag
I know! I actually yelled at my tv, "Why aren't you flying?!"
Flag
Um, they wouldn't be a very good secret spy organisation, keeping all this modern technology and such under wraps if he busted out 'Lola' for every chase through populated city streets.
Flag
Wait, they are supposed to be a secret team?!?
I thought the whole world knows about them.

I mean they show their faces multiple times in croweded places (in the movie and in the show)

Kind of like MI6, CIA, Mossad etc. You don't go around shouting who and what you are doing but everyone know you exist.
Flag
Then why the F are they having SHIELD logo on their cars,and BTW the secret is out,this is post Avengers world,everybody knows who Captain America and Iron Man is,everybody knows who there are demi gods and aliens,flying car would not surprise no one,it's like being surprised by smart phones today
Flag
Hmm. That is a very good point you have made. Consider me swayed onto your side of thinking. *Shakes fist at continuity stupidity*
Flag
Flag
Flag
Shannon Lucio in a double header S.H.I.E.L.D. and Supernatural episode. And.. Tahmoh Penikett as well... (I'm not show if they aired the episodes the same night). But can we have a crossover now lol
Flag
What did Tamoh Penikett double-header in? I don't recall him in S.H.I.E.L.D thus far, though he'd make an awesome agent.
Flag
Always find supposedly asian chinese with an American accent, spouting Mandarin or Cantonese pretty atrocious. Ming did a pretty decent job with her Canto and so did the 2 spectators mocking Scorch's street side magic show. This episode seems kinda anti-climax with Scorch eventually self destructing instead of being saved. Kinda like the premise of The Tomorrow People where people with special powers are hunted. Anyways, Skye is now on a bracelet like Neal in White Collar. Let's see if Mozzie shows up to give this show a kick in the butt.
Flag
Haha...I was reading a review of Arrow a couple days back and the writer said the fight scenes in Arrow suck, learn from SHIELD:p I guess fight scenes could be a lot better in both shows!
I liked Miles...he should have stayed!
I wonder who the prisoner was at the end..any guesses?
Flag
The thing is "bad fight scenes" isn't really an all clear statement.

In Arrow I find the fight scenes terrible mostly because I can't possibly grasp how he can fight people at close range without the hood coming off or something looking directly at him to see who he is. That and that stupid bow of his.I'm sorry but no reason what so ever for a billionare to carry a bow over a gun.

In Shield they are just a quick jab and its over. It's like if I just punch you, you are falling asleep (and the audience with you)
Flag
This show isn't great enought o love, but it's also not bad enought to hate. I guess, there's worse ways to kill an hour...

Flag
I just signed on to give Kaitlin kudos for saying "A kerfuffle ensued" I do love that word!
Flag
I am enjoying the show.

Now that we know where we are with Skye (basically at the beginning but we like her and she has helped pull the team together clearly since everybody feels betrayed LOL) I think, and hope, the rest of the characters should be given a little bit more flesh...

I certainly want to know about those "ol' days" between Coulson & May LOL!

The fights scenes are not the best in neither Arrow nor Shield. I do not know who's fault that is...

Yes @thekaitling, Fitz has a bad case of puppy luv with Skye since day one...

Part of the story line here could be what happens when you go into the "belly of the beast" to change things from within the inside.

In Angel the price paid was very clear but, hey, that Law firm was a branch of Hell (literally!) whereas SHIELD is not exactly that corrupt (or is it?)

But I was always told that the easy part is not to fight against something by destroying it but to build something better afterwards.

The fight from outside is the easiest and most glamorous, the fight from within is more difficult and almost never recognized...
More+
Flag
I love your whole 'belly of the beast' metaphor/ idea. I want the show to focus more on grey morals areas like this, I think that would be an entertaining watch.
Flag
We'll have to wait 'n watch ;-)
Flag
Yeah it certainly seemed like Fitz has a crush on Skye.

The episode was great overall, but I'm not too happy with the fact that we already know what Skye is up to. Not a big fan of mommy/daddy issues in characters either (soooo overused). I agree with you on the fight-sequences, though they aren't that bad. Loved that "just kind of a tool" bit; Coulson's dry humour is the best.

You get bonus-points for using the word "kerfuffle" in your review.
Flag
Fitz doesn't have a crush on Skye. You will notice he constnatly said "after everything we went together". We, as in the entire team.

It's the absolutely classic and overly used cliche of the kid who has abandonment issues and wants the family to stick together.

This role is constantly used for the geek in the background of procedural shows.
Flag
I'm just going to pretend Skye is the illegitimate daughter of a villain-superhero couple from the Marvel-verse, that's one reason to keep her in the dark and for the document to be S.H.I.E.L.D. in origin.
Flag
Ha, I just wrote that too!! (about kerfuffle) and then read ur comment. Yes, the parent trope is soo overused. but this show isn't groundbreakingby any means, it's just using the old tried n true plotlines. Like that show on the CW with supers (not even watching that one, but read some reviews...). Where has originality gone???
Flag
It's called The Tomorrow People, and while it's initial concept has been done to death, I think where they've taken it is a pretty interesting place for a show so early in its life. The protagonist is working for the organisation that wants to eliminate his species, is that not a little bit original?
Flag
Nope that actually also happens in Heroes, The 4400 and others just like it. xD
Flag
But not from the very beginning, and with the others it was more about experimenting and/ or exploiting people with abilities - the stakes are raised quite a bit with The Tomorrow People because Jed just wants them death, nothing else.
Flag
My theory is that the problem with the show is the TONE, i think this type of tone worked years ago with Buffy...etc. because it was just a different time, , in this age of TV the audience needs a little GRIT in their shows, thats why we can't get into the characters or the story , its just so sugar coated with jokes and slick outfits and wacky gadjets. the show is way too COOL for its own good. where is the heart? this world was invaded by aliens not long ago,the vail was pulled from everyone's eyes.there are GODS, aliens,and human machines in this world. where is the panic and histeria??where is the deep psychological study of this world???.
Flag
Let the world be established first, then allow it to be expanded and studied and such. All those things will come, are already slowly coming and trickling into the plot, ready to explode down the line.
Flag
I actually think the Buffy analogy is an apt one in a way. In today's world Buffy season 1-3 would fail dismally, Buffy season 7 would be a success.
Flag
I think Buffy always had quite a dark tone, even in its earlier seasons. Maybe not as much in comparison to the series seventh, but in no way were the series first three seasons 'sugar coated'.
Flag
This makes zero sense. The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural are still on the air. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a far better show.

BtVS would have been more successful if aired in today's world. There's better special effects and effects are much cheaper. With NetFlix, DVDs -- BtVS didn't put out the DVDs until Season 5 was already airing, DVRs, etc., BtVS's ratings would have much higher ratings.
Flag
Saying Buffy didn't have 'grit' is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. It's about a teenage girl who's likely going to die within years because she has to go out about every night slaying vampires, demons, other monsters, and she has to save the world. And, whoops, she dies in the first Season. And then dies again 4 years after that. And her life is one big horror fest. And the rest of the characters join her mission and therefore are also in constant danger.

And, no, SHIELD doesn't need more grit. It needs to get us to actually care about these characters and care about the team.

Flag
Totally agree! Although I definitely want some grit in Agents of SHIELD as well.
Flag
And her mom dies, and she has to work during the day to take care herself and her sister and continue to kill vampires and demons during the night. Damn I miss that show.
Flag
Not to mention the attempted rapes and disturbing resurrection rituals (complete with distressed personal aftermaths) and people having loved ones murdered right in front of them, etc.... Buffy the Vampire Slayer was far from a sugar-coated joke, it just with have the wisdom and the genius to break up the tension and horror with wit and charm and insanely smart/non-clunky dialogue.
Flag
I think the biggest problem with this dud of a show is that the writers are insisiting on making Skye the main character and she is just completely boring. Yeah, lets take her clothes off to try to make her more interesting ala 'Revolution''s Nora but it just doesn't help. Every episode devotes way too much time to this lame character. She looks good in her undies but - so what? Her character's back story is lame and she just isn't that compelling AT ALL as an actor. She may be the worst actress to ever appear in the Whedonverse - a universe that has created and cast some awesome female characters. They have a barely adequate actress in what the writers have made to be the one of the most important roles and every scene she is in just hits the pavement with a resounding thud. ...but she looks pretty in her panties in the most completely gratuitous scene this show has thrown in so at least there is that.

When are the weekly ratings sinking lower and lower going to make them fix this mess of a show?
Flag
I think focusing on Skye is something I would have done as well. She's the outsider which makes her easy to identify with.

It's always like this on these type of shows. Someone who isn't connected to everyone and needs to learn the routine is the one you stick with.

The fact she has terrible dialogue and sub-par acting skills don't make it any easier and the others characters around her are even worse spells absolutely disaster.

Flag
I really want to know what Coulson's sercet is!
Flag
Clairvoyance =/= telepathy!
Flag
I don't know why I feel relieved that this is getting better, but I do. This was easily the best episode yet.

Can we bring something up? I appreciate these guys having a good budget and all, but I do think maybe shooting on location every episode isn't a must looking forward. I think every other ep I could do with having better action sequences and just have stuff happen in a Canadian forest or something.

Don't get me wrong, the globe-trotting MUST stay in some capacity. Shows like Supernatural or, back in the day, X-Files takes the "wow, all this world-saving action always seems to happen in a warehouse" cost-saving measures to ridiculous extremes, so some recognizable landmarks go a long way. It's just that every now and then SHIELD needs to strive to meet the films' standards to not seem cut-rate.
Flag
I agree with about shooting on location. It must be a huge money waster (in my opinion), that would be better spent on other areas on the series, like the fight scenes Kaitlin mentioned are a little off.

That being said, I do understand the appeal of shooting on location, and people on here have acted quite positively to seeing actual real life places being used on the show (particularly last week's episode). It only works in you know/ have actually been to the place though. And since I'm not a jet-setter, as I imagine many people around the world aren't, I'm not going to care either way if the show is short on location or not because I honestly wouldn't know the difference.
Flag
Well, I think you can tell that Supernatural always happens in the same kind of environment but SHIELD doesn't even if you haven't been to those places. Mostly because not every place is a warehouse or a forest.

But yeah, I agree with you. It brings something to the table. I don't want it gone. But maybe it doesn't need to be there every episode and we could get, yeah, some better action sequences or something (although the fire effects in this episode were pretty cool, actually).
Flag
Thank you for that good review, I agree that AoS is getting better episode by episode. I am a massive Whedon fan and understand that the payoff will be worth the build-up. Unfortunately a lot of reviews don't seem to get that (mainly screenrant) and are just moaning about the show. I'll stick to your reviews from now on!
Flag
Did anyone noticed Miles Lydon got away in the car chase by playing a video file "Gridlock.mp4" on his Android phone?
Flag
yes Fitz obviously has a crush on Skye, i thought that was established in Ep1 when she got on the plane.

also, way to spoil part of Supernatural. i fell asleep last night before the first commercial break while watching on the DVR.

also, no mention of hotty skye in her undies? she is so fine!
Flag
Yeah, I still haven't watched Supernatural yet, so I guess I know who's guest starring and subsequently dying when I do.
Flag
I'm not really getting this show, but it's great for resting on the couch. It would have been more fun if the way too young characters had super powers.
Flag
Best scene?

Skye stripped down to her unmentionables. Why can't we get a .GIF of THAT!

Sorry, I am a guy. :-)

Solid episode all around.
Flag
You mean something like this?

Flag
THANK YOU!!!
Flag
If only I could take credit for creating it and not just finding it :-)
Flag
Can always hope her next part is on Game of Thrones :)
Flag
Flag
Would stills suffice?

Flag
ha thanks. i was actually yelling at my tv since ABC was putting up some promotional thing over top of skye while she was sitting on the bed. i was like serioulsy ABC!. hah. my wife just rolled her eyes, but she says skye is hot too.
Flag
she is so hot, i didnt ask for a .gif, but i wouldnt mind seeing one. so i'm only half as pervy as u. ha
Flag
Loved this episode...Scorch was awesomely done...!!!
I knew that at some point Skye's true colours would be shown...didn't expect it that soon, but now we can move on and make her a real agent...
The flower girl...she is clearvoyant...i guess....
I agree with the review that the series is really getting good!!
Flag
Austin Nichols made me cringe, actually. especially his scenes with Skye seemed so very forced. It actually all felt as a plot contrivance to get Chloe Bennett out of her clothes. I could have so done without that.

May is awesome and she was in super form this night. I definitely need more scenes with her and Ward.

Speaking of which, I think his reaction to the Skye reveal was very understandable. He seems to have trust issues and is not exactly a people's person (I so need to know more about his background, STAT) but he was making an effort with her and he gave her a lot of trust so finding out she was using him and the team must have been a hard blow on several levels.

I think this was probably the first time I sorta liked Agent C. I wish he would stop talking about his dead by Loki but other than that his attitude during the reveal was one I approved of.

I don't think this episode was better than the previous one. I think it was very inconsistent in terms of quality. Parts were really good, other parts were awful.
More+
Flag
you could have done without skyes clothes off? you must be a woman. :)

Flag
Well I'm not sure if she meant the clothes or the awful plot that involved the lack of clothes :D
Skye looks very good but they just can't cover up bad characters or bad acting with gratuitous nudity without people realizing, and that has a habit of backfiring.
Flag
Amen to that !
Flag
i really thought the dude was a bad actor (i remember him from Surface), but i think Skye is great.
Flag
I really don't know whether I should just be incredibly offended on behalf of all women or pretend it was a lame joke. I think I will go with the later just because I'm an optimist.
I don't mind love scenes, I don't mind skin being shown but I mind cheap contrivances to reach these states. I can embrace gratuitous nudity as well. but this scene was just do redundant on so many levels.
Flag
yeah it was just a bad joke. ha
Flag
SHIELD is still getting there, but this episode was a step in the right direction. Tying this into the major arc was the right idea, as was nipping this whole "is Skye a double agent?" storyline. I think the mystery of what happened to her parents is an interesting motivator for her character moving forward and this could potentially tie in to a greater arc that may not have been revealed yet. I trust that they have an idea of where that's going.

Now that we've effectively focused on Skye for three (or four? maybe all of them?) episodes straight, can we get some focus on any of the other members of the team, please? Can we find out what got May out of the field? Or what distinguishes Fitz from Simmons apart from their fields of expertise? Or maybe something more about Ward, seeing as he's the most generic of all of them so far? Just a thought.
Flag
Aside from the cartoonish villain(Scorch, really?)this was another solid episode.
Flag
With regards to character development, I guess a more apt comparison than other Whedon shows is Bones. I stopped watching years ago, but in the pilot, each character was very defined. And there were interesting dynamics created. The 'imagining' person was the best friends with the lead. The 'bug guy' was a multi-billionaire and financier of the place they all worked and therefore technically everyone's boss although he allows the lead to boss him around.

With SHIELD, Coulson's the boss and has clear unquestioned authority over everyone. He has bosses but they aren't going to be seen because they are otherwise busy.

With Bones, there's a clear and specific reason why they are put on certain cases. But with this episode, wouldn't there be an China branch? Or a Japanese branch? Why would this American 'subteam' be dealing with a case all the way in Hong Kong. No matter how fast that plane, it would have taken many hours just to get there and this was perhaps an important case.

Plus, are we supposed to forget that Coulson probably would need to tell Maria Hill or Nick Fury about Skye's betrayal?

This show is enjoyable enough, but eventually it needs to make these characters better.

We still have

A boss, who collects things
2 fighters who pretty much are there simply to fight
A hacker
2 science geeks that are only there to do science stuff

We know about nothing about these people's personal lives, families, etc. We know the most about Skye and she's not even an agent yet.
More+
Flag
Of course Scorch is dead, he blew up. He wasn't really an interesting character enough to bring back anyhow, and they did say the other test subjects who blew up were failed experiments so don't expect to see him anytime soon

The fighting scenes should most definitely not take from Arrow; Arrow has some of the worst looking fighting scenes out there. They look awfully fake for some reason and that's not the case in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. from what I've seen so far. Sometimes tho I will admit to enjoying the fight scenes in Arrow but anytime it has to do with him using his bow, I sigh.
Flag
"Ah crap!! they gave him a name" lol but he did have some nice fatalities
Flag
Regarding the fight scenes: Seriously? SHIELD agents have a militaristic fight style and it actually looks effective.

In ways, those like Oliver and Merlyn fight too slow. And about nothing convinces me Oliver could actually beat up Diggle other than Green Arrow is supposed to be a better fighter. Plus: LAME. Black Canary isn't even a metahuman (or whatever she's supposed to be). And while Oliver is a good shot, the point of Green Arrow is that the arrows can actually be more effective than bullets because of the various things the arrows can do. Oliver almost died because his mother scrambled for her gun and shot him once.

And put up May against Laurel Lance? May would beat her in like a second.

Skye isn't actually that interesting. None of the agents are that interesting. Joss Whedon is a character guy and these characters are either one-dimensional or barely two-dimensional.

We're five episodes in and these characters are far less formed than the characters in the pilots of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and Dollhouse.

Heck, Skye's ex-boyfriend got more character development than most of these agents outside of perhaps Coulson.

And these people live in the same world as The Avengers, The X-Men, The Fantastic Four, etc.

And these aren't even the main SHIELD agents. So, we need to care about them.

In ways, I'd be better if agents were played by Whedonverse people. They are better actors, carry some gravitas, are more dynamic and likable, etc.

I wonder if these guys have long-term contracts or if Marvel is trying to depress their wages and remind them that SHIELD has other agents.

More+
Flag
Sorry to hear it, Kaitlin. My old Time Warner DVR used to pull that crap all the time, I finally upgraded and this one behaves better but it's not perfect.

Honestly, this episode was better, but at this point it's becoming clear that the only character that the writers seem to care about it Skye, we aren't learning much about anybody else and they're the actual Agents of SHIELD. I don't find Skye interesting enough to have everything be about her, to have her rather generic storyline shoved down our throats at every opportunity.

Skye's big backstory reveal here didn't feel genuine, it didn't feel like a true extension of what they had been playing up. Sure it may have been an intentional misdirect, but it felt less organic to that and more a quick change of gears for a character arc that wasn't going to work.

The hacking in this was dull as dishwater, we sit around watching someone type on a tablet - nope - and characters talking about what she's achieved - boring - and we see another character play an MP4 video on his silenced Android phone that's making noises - huh - that turns out to be the most silly, ridiculous auto-executing traffic signal override ever - yeesh.

Oh Scorch, you were so interesting in the beginning of this episode and at every turn they took that away until our "heroes" murdered you for no apparent reason.

Extremis keeps getting worse and worse as a plot device, it was never that good but since the Iron Man 3 movie watered it down and turned it into this, it's just been downhill for SHIELD which feels stuck with a cast-off plot device.

Really Kaitlin, Arrow's fight scenes are the benchmark here? Those suck, and yeah SHIELD's are way worse but those are not what they should be looking to.

Austin Nichols character should not come back, he was so obvious and uninteresting. Yeah, he's the antithesis to Ward, but Ward is yet another dull aspect to this show. A lot of dull elements to a show that's supposed to be hot shit.

Fitz had a crush on Skye? I didn't even notice.

May would be the best if she did something or felt something more than once per episode.
More+
Flag
"They must be an ecological research lab because their name is Centipede!"
I don't think he looked into them as much as he purported to.
Flag
Decent episode.
Flag
So far, my favorite episode. But man, that fight scene was bad! Let me stand here while they hide behind metal, idk what those were, cages? Quick! I'll unload my entire clip into his flaming inferno of a back! But my favorite part was cutting back to the scene to hear Coulson ask, "Where'd he go?" Only for May to say, "He got away!" I literally yelled, "How!?! He was RIGHT BETWEEN YOU GUYS!". ...other than that stuff (which is easily fixable in later episodes) great stuff. Love the Centipede plot being moved forward and the Skye development altho, looking for parents? A little overdone in my book.
Flag
Really enjoyed this episode. Love that we seem to be moving more and more towards serialization, can't wait to see more of it. That promo for next episode had me cursing the 2 week break.
Flag
I liked this episode. Getting better and better. :-)
Flag
Surprisingly I liked this episode it was alot better than the previous episodes although it might be on par with the 4th. However the dialogue is still extremely corny and that guy that played Scorch was a TERRIBLE actor. Coulsons character was pretty good in this episode though, I enjoyed seeing his disappointment towards Skye.
Flag
We're 5 episodes into the show and there is still no storyline !
I don't count poor Sky's "I don't know my parents" story, that was the most pathetic idea of this show.
Characters are walking cliches : Handsome big muscle guy, beautiful in underwear hacker girl, cute geek and cutie geekette, silent warior and mysterious boss.
As for the dialogues, there are as cliches as the characters ! I guess what the characters will say most of the time : not a good thing.
I won't talk about the actors : I could accept mediocre acting with good characters and storylines.
This show has nothing to redeem itself : it is pure garbage.
Flag
"There is still no storyline". I don't think you've been watching the same show as the rest of us...
Flag
Describe the storyline then.
Flag
You mean aside from Skye, being a former member of rising tide, possibly infiltrating SHIELD to find her parents, or something more. And you of course are referring to something that isn't the organization looking to create super soldiers using Extremis we saw in both the first and 5th episode, and is likely behind the woman being controlled in the 4th episode. There is absolutely no ongoing story elements whatsoever.
Flag
I tend to be a bit broader in my description of "procedurals" being any show with little to on going elements, and self contained stories that crop up and are solved within the same episode (be it cop shows with a new crime each week, or supernatural shows with "monsters of the week" etc etc). However, I don't really get how what you said is the "story" of Firefly, when it's really just a synopsis. If I said that the "story" of Agents of SHIELD is about a crew of scientists and secret agents working to unravel the various mysteries surrounding superheroes and alien technologies, that's somehow different.
Flag
Firefly's story was making a living, surviving on the frontier whether that be smuggling, delivering cattle, outright stealing, taking on passengers, or running from law. Few episodes suggested a procedure to follow, and none of them ever followed said procedure anyway. The human drama storyline was keeping a creaky ship and its strained, dangerous, questionable crew together as a family through thick and very thin.

Just because it's not directly serialized (even though it actually is) doesn't make it a procedural. A procedural is like a police show, a doctor show, a lawyer show - a "solving a thing" show where a thing comes up (crime, medical mystery) and then the heroes use procedure to solve that thing within the episode.
Flag
Firefly both began and ended as a "procedural". It had very few overarching story elements (mostly just River's story that came up in a couple episodes) but largely each and every episode is standalone. They can be watched in roughly any order you choose and it changes little about the show or the story of each episode.
Flag
A storyline is not the same thing as the storyline.

"Someone is trying to create super soldiers and is bad" is not a storyline, it doesn't involve our heroes at all. "They are trying to stop it" would, but it's vague and it isn't really a driving force behind our heroes, it doesn't fully define them.

I really don't care if it's serialized, some of my favorite stories in general regardless of medium are stand-alone, but your claiming that Firefly began as a procedural is not remotely accurate.
Flag
It might be a character's motivation, but its also an ongoing storyline. And of course, please continue to overlook the overarching storyline involving - likely Hydra, but could be someone else - looking to create super soldiers.

But I guess your main issue is that the show isn't completely serialized? Well I hate to bring up the fact that every single one of Joss Whedon's shows, even the much beloved Firefly, all began as procedurals, with very little overarching elements, and gradually became more and more serialized over time. The same is happening here, and while the individual episodes so far have only had a few overarching elements, you can expect to see a more serialized story develop over time.
Flag
That's the whole show's storyline? Skye became a hacker to find out more about her parents? That's not the series storyline, that's a character's driving motivation.
Flag
"Infiltrating an agency to find some dead parents" is not a storyline, it's a walikng cliche we've seen a thousand times.
There has bene talks about big superbadguys but that's all there's been : talks. Could we at least see a glimpse of them ?
Flag
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members