Tuesday 10:00 PM on ABC

ABC released a new Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. trailer today, and it even includes footage of Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill! But something feels a bit... off. The promo, while definitely shiny, doesn't exactly look it's teasing a Joss Whedon production. Where are the quips? What's with the music? Why aren't more things blowing up? This is not the Joss Whedon I know and love. 

However, knowing what we know about Firefly and Dollhouse (we're all in agreement that what happened to Firefly was Fox's fault, right?), maybe that's the point? Given that S.H.I.E.L.D. is the most highly anticipated new series of the fall, maybe ABC is trying to attract the attention of non-Whedon fans so that S.H.I.E.L.D. won't end up becoming another Joss Whedon failure*?

*Let the record show that I don't consider anything Joss Whedon does to be a failure, but I do understand how some people might watch Dollhouse and ask, WTF is this garbage?!

What do you think? Am I crazy? Or is there definitely something off in this trailer?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 2/21/2017

Season 4 : Episode 15

155 Comments
Comments (155)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I really miss firefly. Looking forward to agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I always liked the way Colson was so unimpressed by the egos of the superheroes. Except he was sort of a fan of Captain America.
Flag
awful music
Flag
I loved dollhouse!!!! eliza dushku is so awesome, she played a different character every episode that is acting!!! and tahmoh hot, enough said.
Flag
The thing about Dollhouse and Firefly is it's somewhat contained. They were serialized with a definite end. His more successful work like Buffy and Angel were more open ended. I think Shield will be more open ended and episodic in nature.
Flag
Dollhouse was great... shame they stopped it
Flag
Dollhouse did not explain itself fast enough, I think. Whedon's problem is he thinks he has all this time to explain things and draw out plotlines but Americans have the attention spans of mayflies. Story arcs should never be more than 2 or 3 shows long.
Flag
I should have explained this better. I meant short(2-3 episode arcs) within the framework of 1(and only one) seasonal arc. And as to America; you guys can obviously read and write relatively well to be on this website as well as use a computer which is not the norm for alot of America. My personal opinion is that about 30 to 40 percent of America hovers somewhere between ignorant and stupid.
Flag
Shows like Breaking Bad would never make it if what you are saying is true. IMO, a large audience in America is ready for Hollywood to stop making rehashes of 80s action shows.
Flag
2 or 3 shows? seriously? 100% of Americans don't have ADD; granted network shows tend to be more short-term-focused than cable but 2-3 for a mysterious thing is too little.

I'm OK with season-long story arcs. Heck I'm also OK with multi-season story arcs so long as each season makes progress.

2 or 3 episodes doesn't give you any time. That's at most ~120 minutes (3 x 40-ish) That might be good enough for "Who REALLY murdered this person" type of mystery but not a bit mysterious thing. Lost / Dollhouse / Babylon 5 / loads of shows that had season-long or multi-season-long arcs.

Flag
Who relay cares what the new or old trailer looks like it's, S.H.I.E.L.D, it's Whedon your going to watch it regardless. Stop torching your self with what if and just wait and see.
Flag
that was dreadful. reminds me of the oddly touted musical usage of the americans' pilot which successfully set me up to not enjoy the rest of the season. being a super hero show on TV with the movies to compare it to already has me skeptical. so any tinkering could probably easily turn me off of the show.
Flag
and on the firefly front, it was fun enough for what it was but when compared to IMO much more deserving shows that have ended it's no surprise what so ever that it was cancelled.
Flag
But the americans was quite good too bad your hard on yourself for missing lots of good shows. I understand your point of view and agree except for the flaw that you don't seem to want to give a chance to a show, I get there's a lot of tv going around much like reviewing candidates for a job depending on the model to select them you are either gonna do a good decision or pass on something great in the end. I agree mostly with you just not on the americans lol
Flag
I'm not one for thumping the Bible, but even Jesus himself said, "It is not the well who need a doctor, but the sick." ABC doesn't need to air promos to attract people who are almost already guaranteed to be watching. They need to air promos that attract the audience that DIDN'T say "I'm totally there!" when the show was first announced and didn't even have a cast.
Flag
Yes, DEFINITELY. Just looks like another ABC drama promo. These scenes would not make me interested so thank goodness that the prior trailer was good (in addition to this being a Whedon creation).
Flag
My problem is that it looks like a teaser for a finale as opposed to a trailer for a whole new story. The previous trailer - the one that felt like a trailer - set up tone, story, characters, and this feels lazy and tired and weirdly final, like we're seeing a quick promo for The End. I'm still excited for the show, it's just that the teaser is awakening 0 feelings of anticipation.
Flag

This looks very unappealing to me. From the clips and trailers I've seen the action scenes are nothing special, all of its comedic lines have fallen flat to me (i.e. 'Don't touch Lola') and most disconcerting it seems to be more like just a big tease to the big hitters (Hulk, Iron Man, etc). I'll try catching it through Tivo, but I was hoping for an actual superhero based show from Marvel.

On Whedon... I enjoyed Firefly, but the hype following that show makes me think that maybe there is this other show out there by the same name that I must have missed. I saw the movie and all, I like the Cowboy Bebop feel to the show and would've liked to have seen more, but I don't consider its cancellation a tragedy.

I never got around watching Dollhouse, because it just didn't seemed like a concept that wouldn't last on TV... and Lo and behold it got cancelled, and I haven't heard enough positive feedback to draw me to see an unfinished story. I'll say this for Dollhouse, it looked more interesting than Whedon's latest offering (Marvel's Agents of SHIELD).
More+
Flag
I feel Joss Whedon shows make me think amidst the action (like there is a point behind it, after all), and the trailer didn't hint Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. would be any different.

Flag
Ok that Trailer made me reconsider to "not" watch the show. Who made this crap??? I think most of Joss Whedons shows are too intelligent for the average watcher that's why they fail and why we love them. I consider myself pretty bright but after watching one of his films or series with audio comments I feel so stupid for not even getting half of the hints and subtle stuff he is putting in.
Flag
Ha it be Interesting if it fails
Flag
Bugger this.

Bugger Dollhouse.

Bugger Firefly.

Bring back the Buff.
Flag
If you miss Buffy that much, I might recommend picking up the comics. They pick up where the show ended are are literally called "Season 8" and such.

They're not bad... though at one point they did go a bit off the rails.
Flag
Oh C'mon man, no more super babes, it's getting boring
Flag
Dont worry, its just a promo, and it was definitely made by ABC
Flag
I don't think it was off. I guess they are trying to be more serious.

Firefly folks. Probably one of the best shows this past decade for sure. AT least in my opinion.

Joss just needs that one break. He tries to be different then other shows which is good. But unfortunately most people rather watch shitty so called reality tv show (which most aren't).

I think if ff was on now and maybe on a cable network, it would do well.
Flag
I agree, this trailer has a different vibe than Avengers Assemble. I think they just try to give the show a new image, more 'cult' and diverse than what we would all except from a marvel's theme series.

P.S. Dollhouse was definitely not crap!
Flag
Yup this is aimed at the people that might not be fully aware of Joss's history, Its a bit glossy and over produced i did like the music however. I don't think this is showing how the series will play out, There will be more verbage and quips and lots of explosions and hopefully some nice cameo's throughout (can't wait for Nathan Fillion's episode).
Flag
I think it looked fine. It felt plenty Whedonish to me. I don't need capes and flouncy men flying through the air trading clever quips with other flouncy men flying through air to entertain me. If I'm given a compelling story, good dialogue, at least some action, and solid acting, that will make me happy. I don't need the mindless explosions and things going boom just to have things go boom.
Flag
I don't see anything 'un-Joss' about this trailer. It's short, sure, but I could definitely see The Joss Whedon influence on it. Making hay for hay's sake I say.
Flag
You are bat-sh#t crazy. This is all Whedon. The country-style music reminds one of a western and the characters are looking all forlorn and epic, kinda reminds me of another show by the director...

It may be missing a funny quip, but that's about it.
Flag
Yes, something was off: it was seriously corny.
Flag
I really didn't think it was that bad a trailer... I liked the other one best, but if I hadn't seen it, I probably wouldn't have minded this one, either. :)
Flag
Haha this really changes nothing. I'm still watching. Even if it was the worst trailer ever.
Flag
Hmm, this is actually more appealing than the first one and makes me want to put it on the top of my to-watch list. Maybe i'm not a Whedon fan (i'm not, nothing the man ever did was good or my cup of tea) and what you said about bringing in non-Whedon fans might just be the case here. I do however loathe the choice of song..i mean wtf? That did not match at all! But i am hooked this time around!
Flag
This looks like utter rubbish to me, generic and un-interesting cash-in, but I could be wrong time and other (I am not watching) will tell
Flag
than you dont know joss
waight and see
you will be hooked!

joss is a garantee for that
buffy angel had a slow start when the series began.
but later they had kinc of super hero/freaks with power
that lookted azaming!this whas way back so geuss joss will do it great

keep in mind this is tv not the complete big bugdet movie
give it a chance before blwoing it off,i bet this will be way better than smallville and ik hope it can compaire with the first two seasons of heroes

mix of drama aktion that whas used in buffy angel firefly etc you will have a top show
Flag
Trailer looks fine.
Super excited for this show!
Flag
The trailer looks pretty good to me. It introduces some of the characters and teases some of the action. The whole show can't be fighting and explosions(well maybe for some people), it has to have some character development and suspensful or "down on your luck" moments.
Flag
It's just a trailer. Not great, not horrible. Didn't bother me. I doubt Whedon makes them himself.
And it's not like they have Fringe's promo team on board, after all.
Flag
This show isn't going to work. It looks like it costs too much to try and showcase qualities that could essentially be shown on Grey's Anatomy or Chicago Fire. I think I saw Ming-Na punch someone in the trailer up there. I'll watch it, but ehh.

If they can't showcase the dialogue and the character interaction to people who don't care about the supernatural element (the people this trailer was made for)...that is a bad sign. A trailer--especially one for sci-fi--is supposed to answer the obvious question in 15 seconds: "Why?"

The Muggles don't like sci-fi. Simple fact. We do, but we're not enough. Simple fact. It's like trying to keep blackberry pancake syrup or apple soda on the market. It takes someone with hope to convince someone with money to put them back up again, and most importantly, it takes a damn good product and good timeslot marketing.

Whedon's hit-or-miss, but waaaay better than Sorkin, I'd say. Firefly was good, but it was cancelled not only because of Fox and their hatred of sci-fi, but also because nobody I know (besides myself) actually liked Firefly when it was actually on the freakin' air. Western?

Yeah, I said it. Though the show warmed up later, it was too dry for too long. Mal was an ass. Too much scoundrel, not enough heart of gold. Women did not like this man (though they might have later...after it was too late). It's all about pacing and timing, and without a love interest for women to get behind, show don't continue. Honestly, I don't think even Han Solo could carry a show without becoming really good, and really in love with Leia, really quickly.

Inara was too much prostitute. Women did not like this woman...enough. It was a decent attempt, making her job respected by most of the galaxy, but I think the audience saw her the way Mal did...without being an ass about it the way he was.

Rain was too much WTH. She was awesome, and also damn annoying, but it also brought out the unlikable side to Mal, and he didn't need any help with that. Yeah, he warmed up, and she mellowed out a tiny bit, but the audience was gone by then.

The Chinese was too 'WTH-did-they-just-say?' It's hard enough using subtitles; we don't like to reed. Foreign insults and curse words aren't going to keep the muggles around, be it alien or horribly-mangled Mandarin (trust me...it was mangled).

Again, I liked the show and all, but unlike the more rabid fans, I see how it didn't work out just fine. And no, it would not have worked even with a decent timeslot, nor would it have worked five years later after more people finally found out that they liked it. The show wasn't as dry as, say, Jericho or Jeremiah, but dry enough...and with Fox's timeslots. Didn't stand a chance.

And I liked Dollhouse enough, actually, but same things, overall...just way more. Dushku's mindwiped expressions were way over the top. Ehh, I could go on all day.
More+
Flag
The series doesn't look that amazing to begin with. It's not "super" enough IMO. Them being human agents just makes it seem like any other crime solving agent/detective type of show... I'll probably like it mildly because I usually like Whedon's shows.
This new trailer was a bit lame and doesn't feel like a Whedon show.
Flag
I like what Whedon do movies or series, even Dollhouse. And I'm a big fan of Firefly. The only consolation for me about the end of the show is to watch Nathan with Stana in Castle.
Of course I'm sure Marlow would have found someone almost as good as Nathan to play Rick...
I have big hopes for Marvel's agent of SHIELD because I like marvel's heores and what Whedon do!!
Flag
LOVED Dollhouse.
Flag
Hey, didn't that guy die with his bloody Captain America cards?

I'm not a Marvel fan, so without the costumed heroes, I don't expect much. But I like Whedon's work on TV, so this may be better than what it looks now, a regular group of young investigators with different skills.

Oh, and this Chloe Bennet, what a babe! I was rooting for her character in Nashville, but it was a small part. I'm glad she got a better gig.
Flag
Nope, he's not dead. Maahhaaaa!
Flag
Yep, apparently not.
Flag
(we're all in agreement that what happened to Firefly was Fox's fault, right?)

HELL TO THE EFF YEAH! I mean - c'mon! Are you kidding me here!? It was like Brisco County Jr. time a thousand, what they did to that series!

Then again, Peter Griffins said it best years ago:

Flag
... By the way, the promo for S.H.I.E.L.D. was fine - people need to chill out, it's gonna turn out great.
Flag
I am very much in agreement. The first trailer was actually more interesting it made me wanna see the show....this one was rather meh ,almost annoying.
Flag
Oh, what's the freakin' problem? They're gonna do this and we're gonna love it. So lighten up people and I dare anyone not to watch--and let's hope no one takes me up on that. We need this to be good and popular...
Flag
What.... the hell..... was that? Thank f**k they released a trailer before this one, one that seemed more quippy and suitably Whedon-esque. Otherwise, my holiday weekend buzz might have been crushed wholly and completely. I think I'm going to go and watch it again, in order to soothe my aching soul----and get the horrifying image of the worse-delivered thumbs-up moment I have ever had to witness.
Flag
thing is - Dollhouse wasn´t that bad ... it just wasn´t exactly right. Because there is a curse going round - the "failures" are FOX´s fault for sure - but FOX IS Joss´ fault - why the hell he is going back to those trumpets again and again? it´s weird. good thing that this is in ABC´s hands now ...
Flag
I love FireFly, and I like DollHouse!
Flag
Definitely has a Whedon vibe, but it does seem as though it's aimed at people looking for the typical procedural.
Flag
Worst. Idea. Ever
Flag
Hmm, i'm withholding judgement for now. But I agree, the trailer doesn't set a great tone.

But what can you really tell from a 43second trailer, after all from the trailers I thought Revolution was going to be amazing...
Flag
Just looks like the network trying to win over fans of procedurals. They want the NCIS and Criminal Minds crowds who don't necessarily care about super heroes to be comfortable with this show, and this feels like the kind of "grounding" attempt that could do that.
Flag
The Biggest Event In the History of the Uni...eh whatever. Agents of Buffy's Dollhouse. And yes, (thumbs up) they're that good (nudge nudge wink wink say no more). That music suctified the clip.
Flag
To be fair, not all the personal at S.H.I.E.L.D. can go for this: Maybe Maria Hill, but that's about it.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
It will be canceled.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members