Tuesday 10:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 20, 2016)

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S01E15: "Yes Men"

It's wrong to make assumptions, but I really have to assume that someone at Marvel is keeping track—preferably with something that looks similar to Carrie Mathison's wall of crazy on Homeland—of all the ways in which Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Marvel films feed into one another. In "Yes Men," Lady Sif told Coulson (Phillip, Son of Coul) that she was sent to Earth with orders from Odin to capture Lorelei and return her to Asgard. As of the end of Thor: The Dark World, Loki—believed to be dead—is masquerading as Odin. This brings up the question of continuity, and the argument here is that Loki, as Odin, would probably make this order to keep up appearances, but at the same time, it's still just an assumption, just as it's still just an assumption that someone somewhere is keeping track of these references in order to have the stories remain in sync. 

Similarly, we have to wonder if Director Fury—whom Coulson has been looking for since the discovery of the Guest House and its blue humanoid inhabitant—is off-grid because it plays in to the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the next Marvel film and one in which S.H.I.E.L.D. will play a large role. The film hits theaters in the United States on April 4, meaning there are several episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. still to air after its release. These are important things to keep in mind, but they also have nothing—at least not directly—to do with the actual events of "Yes Men," so let's discuss!

As we saw in "T.A.H.I.T.I.," Lorelei (Elena Satine), a Marvel villain with the ability to seduce and persuade any man to do her bidding either through the use of her voice, or her voice in conjunction with her touch, had arrived on Earth. As we learned this week, Lorelei desired an army of men to conquer the world, which prompted Lady Sif's (Jaimie Alexander) arrival on Earth. One would think that if Lorelei's powers only worked on men, then S.H.I.E.L.D. would send a team of women to fight her, but heyyyy look there goes reality right out the window! Because there was no time to clone May, Handsome and Coulson were also sent on the mission and Handsome ended up under her spell because he was too slow to pull the trigger on his ICER (formerly known as the night-night gun).

I could argue that the subsequent trip to Las Vegas and Caesar's Palace (because Lorelei requested a palace, obviously) was unnecessary, but dammit if this little bit of nonsense didn't actually lead to some insight into who Handsome is and what goes on behind that pretty face. I'm not saying that I wanted to watch a mini-episode about May's feelings regarding her sexual escapes with Handsome during what was essentially a crossover with Thor, but I also can't ignore that Handsome and May are both being fleshed out a bit by this detour. A blind man could see that May was not okay with how everything went down, with the fact that Handsome had feelings for a member of the team that wasn't her. She may be a beautiful warrior with a heart made of ice, and she may have told Handsome that there was never a risk with her, but that didn't mean she didn't feel something for him. It just means she represses those feelings—no doubt because of her past—and puts her job first. 

As unfortunate as this is for May, it's also what makes her so good at said job. Emotions are often said to cloud a person's judgement, and in a series in which the characters are constantly put in life-or-death situations (even if the stakes don't always feel real), emotions are believed to be a weakness. Which is why it actually surprises me that Handsome is exhibiting some. Despite my previous misgivings about the May and Handsome relationship, their sexual escapades made sense given how similar the two characters are. Handsome, for all intents and purposes, is a stiff robot of a soldier who always followed orders and never questioned the code. His time spent in the presence of the rest of the S.H.I.E.L.D. team has changed that and it's also helped him to learn how to play with others.

Handsome felt the need to apologize to May for Lorelei dropping this bomb on her, (but he never apologized for pulling the trigger on her during their fight), but if May was not the person Handsome had feelings for, it's pretty obvious that the person Lorelei was referring to was Skye. You don't even need to do a process of elimination here; It obviously wasn't Fitz or Coulson, and Handsome hasn't spent enough time with Simmons to warrant even a crush. I'd still prefer to keep shipping of all kind off the Bus because it risks putting the actual stories—like the secrets of Coulson and Skye's magical healing potion, and their secret mission to discover the truth about where it came from—on the back burner. But I cannot also ignore the fact that emotional relationships between characters can lead to more development of said characters. 

This "revelation" (we can't really call it that because let's be honest, we all saw this coming since the pilot) also paints Handsome's anger from the previous two episodes in a new light. It makes sense why he was so upset about Skye's shooting. He blamed himself, he blamed Coulson, he blamed Mike Peterson/Deathlok for standing by and doing nothing to stop it. So although this random crossover involving Sif and Lorelei stands alone and subsequently put a momentary stop to Coulson's search for what really happened to him and what could now also be happening to Skye, it also helped paint Handsome and May and their relationship in a new light. It also dropped the bomb that May is spying on Coulson, knows what happened to him, and she's just a big fat lying liar who lies! 

The tag that revealed May's espionage honestly made my jaw drop. Although we don't know who May was talking to, if we assume (there I go again) that it was Fury, it would make sense. He went through great lengths to cover up the Guest House and what took place there—remember, it wasn't a S.H.I.E.L.D. facility—so naturally he wouldn't let Coulson go off on his own without a monitor. He'd plant someone with intimiate knowledge of Coulson and of what happened to him in order to keep an eye on him, to make sure he doesn't go off-grid himself. This is one of those times where you bang your head on your desk and ask God if you even deserve to have eyeballs because it's so obvious in hindsight. It remains to be seen how this will affect the remainder of the season and the rest of the team. Will May remain dedicated to the job or will she eventually also stop abiding by the code? Will Fitz? Will Simmons? She grew a backbone this week in her confrontation regarding sending the magical miracle cure to S.H.I.E.L.D. for further testing, and it's tough to tell if she feels so adamantly about this because she's a scientist, or because she's a scientist for S.H.I.E.L.D. and wants to follow protocol. 

For a stand-alone episode involving two beautiful Asgardian women fighting each other, "Yes Men" is actually a very important episode. Lorelei's powers are useless when she no longer has the power to speak, and this episode spoke volumes about the wonders and dangers of communication. Handsome was more honest with Lorelei than he ever has been with himself or his teammates. Coulson and Skye are keeping the knowledge of the alien-origin of their cure a secret while they do their own research, choosing to not communicate any of this to the rest of the team. Simmons might very well go against Coulson's orders and secretly send Skye's blood off for analysis anyway. Silent and strong May has been been communicating with someone (Was it Fury? Was it someone else?) about Coulson. And Fitz, well, okay, we just learned that Fitz has a weakness for pretty ladies, though we knew that already. I doubt Lorelei even had to try very hard. 

"Yes Men" also set the stage for what we all knew was coming: Coulson completely breaking away from S.H.I.E.L.D. and its code. I will once again make assumptions and say this will probably be the main storyline for the rest of the season. And I hope it plays into where S.H.I.E.L.D. is at in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. As an episode, "Yes Men" had action, it had drama, and it had a bit of introspection on the parts of several characters. I really liked "Yes Men" and everything it had to offer. I'm actually a little peeved ABC is airing a Marvel's special next week instead of a new episode, because I want to know what happens next.

DECLASSIFIED CASE FILES

– "Fitz, you have a couple of hours to fix this Asgardian piece of jewelry with whatever we have on this plane. You are essentially MacGyver. Good luck!" That's basically how that went down, right? I half-expected Fitz to come back with paperclips and gum as a solution. Fitz is brilliant, but come on, show. That's just silly.

– Skye's reaction to being injected with an alien substance was completely in character, and I actually like that she was basically like, "Yo, I'm alive, right? I'd call this a win."

– Lorelei mentioned the rage of a Berserker inside Handsome. Look, continuity! (I still wish this was explored more.)

– Sif was going to tell Thor that Coulson was alive, but Coulson asked her to keep it quiet because he wants to tell Thor himself. I see what you're doing S.H.I.E.L.D. and it makes sense; The Avengers can't know Coulson is alive, because then it might be harder to explain why Robert Downey Jr. won't stop by the show as Tony Stark. But it's still a little frustrating for fans at this point.

– Ben Franklin was called a woman in this episode. That's rude. Also, Ben Franklin was never president. I guess it makes sense a guy named Rooster would not know this, but it's a personal pet peeve of mine. Go back to fourth grade social studies, bro!

– "I'm not saying you were weak..." Poor Fitz, he really is weak when it comes to beautiful women. The discussion about men having a weakness has a point though.

thekaitling:list:agents-of-shield-what-did-you-think-of-yes-men/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/17/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

351 Comments
Comments (351)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Excelent episode, shield is getting better by the week
Flag
I answered "yes, yes, yes" but I do have a major issue with it. As noted, they pretty much handed over Handsome by sending him on a mission to take down a woman who could bewitch any dude. HELLO, DUH. I bought that because obviously they had to get to the meat of the episode. Fine.

But the entire premise of a female villain who has complete power over any man is begging for a girl-power episode that puts the unique strengths of your female characters on display. May defeats Ward, Sif bests Lorelei, but wait - Simmons and Skye require Coulson to show up and get them out of a room with a jammed slider window and a computer in the hands of the best hacker evah? It's so simple: instead of blocking her, Coulson opens the door and Simmons knocks him out with the fire extinguisher. She and Skye get out, take out Fitz and get Sif back in the plane. At the end, everyone has a good laugh about how Coulson wasn't under Lorelei's control but got pinged anyway. Harhar!

But no, instead we got damsels in distress who required a dude to tell them what to do next. Sorry, I expect better from the guy who gave us Buffy, Willow, River, Zoe and Kaylee.

However, worth noting that this is the episode where i finally cared enough about her to nail down which one was simmons.
More+
Flag
You are forgetting that Skye and SImmons are NOT Exactly fighters.

Skye is just out of life-threatening DEATH and Simmons is the equivalent of a pacifist librarian. Neither of them are in fighting capacity right now and the show quite emphasizes that - not everyone can be best at everything Its quite clear that will change eventually.
Flag
I know it would make the comic book world implode just at the thought of it, but I really want a SHIELD/Arrow crossover, Skye and Felicity could have a hacking competition!

Seriously don't shoot me guys, I just think it would be fun!
Flag
Both DC and Marvel comic book universes have had plenty of crossovers, so its really not that big of a deal with respect to "universes". Its the hollywierd world that would implode by the thought of a crossover.
Flag
I agree it's a Hollyweird thing - an ABC show deigning to give such credence to a show on the lowly CW? Surely you jest. What's that you say - Arrow is a better show than half of what's on the major networks? Hush now. ;)

It may be just my personal pref, but I can't see Skye lasting 10 minutes against Felicity. She's just too awesome.
Flag
Oh I completely agree, Felicity would kick butt! That was just my excuse for entertaining the idea, really there are so many interactions I would love to see.

Coulson probing Moira about any number of the shady things she's been involved in, Felicity and FitzSimmons geeking out over stuff, Digg/Oliver and Ward sizing each other up, May and Sarah trying to out ninja each other!

The list goes on...
Flag
I love it. Keep going. Especially about Coulson grilling Moira! Epic.
Flag
Well, Hollywierd can go suck it then! :D
Flag
Another 3 weeks off. say goodbye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Great episode!! Sif was badass as usual and Fitz was rockin' that black eye like a champ lol
Flag
OK episode, but there were a couple of really irritating moments. The worst was when Ward didn't even try to take a step back when Lorelei was approaching him. He let her touch his face even though he had been informed of her powers.

The other was when Coulson (again) made it clear that he thought it would have been better to let Skye die than to save her with a drug whose main ingredient is blue alien. I wanted Skye to reply "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard".

Also a bit irritating (but less so) was the scene where Sif was blown out the hole in the roof. First the muzzle flew up, and she caught it. Then it was like something is pulling on the muzzle, but not her. She was strong enough to pull it down, but then she was just blown the **** out of there in a way that made it look like there was zero chance that she would be able to grab something on the outside of the plane. It was really badly done, by someone who has no knowledge or intuition about physics.
Flag
How exactly did Sif get sucked out of the plane? That's not how physics work, and grabbing the necklace device surely wouldn't get her MORE sucked out of the plane. Depressurization works by BLOWING someone out, by the excess air in the cabin leaving and taking weaker things with it, so this scene made no sense at all.

Still, it led to Coulson's line about Sif still being outside on the hull, that was good.

Other than that, this was an ok episode but felt thin, and Rooster wasn't very believable as a tough biker gang leader. Ward and May's fight was brutal, but Ward pulling the trigger on May should have killed her since she pulled the clip but couldn't have had time to remove the chambered round.

So if they're sending male troops against Loralei, why not give them earplugs?
Flag
What you said about Sif been sucked out of the plane makes me wonder about the 2nd episode with the emergency raft blocking the plane's door...
Flag
Oh yeah, but that isn't a hundred-plus-pound, super-strong alien. Also, I think we actually did give them crap for it in the comments back then. There's a lot of forgiveness you can give a show like this, but that shot with Sif really defied all of it.
Flag
So SHIELD brings Coulson back to life gives him a team and a plane but live in fear of him finding out and turning on them so keep a spy close to him. Is SHIELD an organisation trying to create more work for itself?
Flag
&Is; SHIELD an organisation trying to create more work for itself?

It is a government agency, right?
Flag
AMAZING episode. The show needed the push to give something very good to Marvel's fans (like myself xD) !! Jamie Alexander was so sexy kick-ass. We want more !!
Flag
This was a seriously kick-ass episode, and I so loved it! Seeing Sif be all Asgardian was too cool, especially when she blocked the bikers fire-fight with a tanker truck! And when she took out all those bikers in the bar, and then she defeated Lorelei later using weapons and hand-to-hand, that just had me cheering the entire time. I love it when tv shows have kick-ass females just doing their thing, like it's no big deal.

I'm kinda' hoping Lorelei was just pushing May's buttons when she told her that she was not the one Ward truly was interested in. While I wasn't too into the May/Ward pairing at first, I do think they go well together.

So the Asgardians haven't realized that blue-skinned aliens (possibly kree) haven't made it to Earth, that's intriguing. There's some super secret stuff that SHIELD is doing behind the scenes and I am so into that.

Ward really should've shot Lorelei when he first encountered her. He'd been warned of her abilities and knew that giving her a chance to speak was beyond stupid. Though it is good to know that it took her touch to take him down, not just her voice...but still! And with all of his skills and resources, he was definitely a major score for Lorelei to bring over to her side.

Simmons was just so perfect, analyzing Skye's blood, standing up to Coulson, and trying her best to do the right thing was just perfect for her character. And then doing her best to take back the bus was just icing on the cake. But Fitz, he was just such a doofus as Lorelei's pawn. I mean, he figures out how to fix Asgardian technology in just a few hours, but then he can't figure out that Coulson wasn't under Lorelei's spell? It was too funny!

Coulson rebelling against SHIELD, I bet that's a scenario that will terrify some higher-ups in the agency. Especially since Coulson has a flying strike force at his fingers, and the one person who could control him, Fury, is missing. But I'm not as surprised at May as I guess I should've been. She's been staying very close to Coulson, and she's been in on some secret about him from the first. I think it was in the very first episode, when Coulson had mentioned Tahiti, she looked shocked, and spoke to another high up SHIELD agent (I can't remember who) and they said "he must never know". So I've been waiting to find out what that was about for a while now. When I heard her say on that call "he knows", it all clicked into place. I just wish I knew who she was talking to.
More+
Flag
actually, pretty sure your remembering Maria Hill's reaction to him saying Tahiti. (I hope Cobie guest stars in some future eps)
Agree with all you said otherwise though :)
Flag
You're probably right; I'm terrible at remembering faces/names, especially if I'm new to them.
Flag
This was probably the best episode they had so far. I really liked it. Almost all the characters were truly involved with the conflict. I hope AoS would do more of this than the normal standard stuff. How about they tackle one mythology for a season. For example, if they are going to push through with the Thor-Asgardian mythology this year then they should do the Capt. America-SHIELD mythology next season then move on with other Marvel mythology so they can keep on bringing guests and stories as well plus promote incoming Marvel movies as well.
Flag
great ep and review! Now getting off thread because I haven't seen 2nd Thor film yet! ;)
Flag
Ok, I am so glad something was said about ward having feelings for someone else, I just don't like him with May, he should be with Sky, they are awesome together!

Also, its clear Simmons and Fitz love each other, so get together already!!
Flag
So much yes to the FitzSimmons comment.
Flag
Being a Jaimie Alexander fan that I am, before AoS even premiered the Pilot episode on TV I was on the messages boards and I posted a thread saying Alexander would show up being that she's no stranger to Television appearances and everyone just laughed like nah man, Sif/Alexander would never show up on AoS because A.) She's "big time" now and B.) she wouldn't have a reason to come to Earth... And then this Episode airs. :)
Flag
I enjoyed this episode Lorelei was great and as was lady sith. I enjoyed the fight between May and Ward it was really good. Now the end may what are you up to.
Flag
Sif, not sith... She's from Marvel, not Star Wars. Same company, different properties...:P
Flag
Ha ha ha thanks dam auto corrections I'm on my ipad it must have changed it.
Flag
I found the episode pretty weak. The Thor movies aren't very consistent on how Asgardians speak to begin with, but Sif and Lorelei were all over the place tonally and in terms of how anachronic they sounded, which was generally distracting.

It was more than missing thees and thous, though, the dialogue in general was a bit cringe-worthy. Not that SHIELD is always at Buffy levels of wit, but the procedural moments in this were like nails on a chalkboard, and there was very little else worth mentioning at all.

The plot was also sidetracked by the Thor content. Lorelei served exactly one purpose in the overall season arc: to break up Handsome (damn, I'm doing it too) and May, which could have happened in a number of other ways. Instead, we had a bunch of action sequences that only served as a reminder of how much cheaper this is than the movies.

Oh, and what's with Sif taking cover from cops with guns but then taking a shotgun blast to the gut and not even flinching? How little imagination and few resources on the blocking of an action sequence do you have that you just cross your fingers and hope that people don't notice that you put your bulletproof character needlessly out of commission so you had time for a dialogue scene? That is shorthand for the whole ep, actually, a big concept executed poorly.
More+
Flag
I kinda agree. I mean i liked the ep, but at the same time i felt like it was just ok, not great. The effect when the first guy was tossed and bounced off his car was just bad. I know it's a tv budget, but how about just tossing him thru a window instead? As for sif, yeah i don't get why she'd take cover and then take a direct hit. It isn't like she's going to feel much pain.
Flag
Shotgun blast to bulletproof armor isn't that unimaginative. The metal probably has the ability to absorb kinetic that would complement Sifs' Asguardian strength. Taking cover from flying bullets that could potentially hit an unprotected area makes sense.

This is a live action comic book, complete with comic book logic and science. Real world rules don't apply. Unless you are talking about the villain monologue rule. That seems to apply in all realities.
Flag
It's not about real life or logic, it's about suspension of disbelief. In any story, comic book or not, if you lose basic cause-and-effect or contradict your own rules (not reality) you lose the audience, kick them out of the experience.

In this case, at least for me, things like Sif going from being all viking "Phillip, Son of Coul" to procedural US marine "I was ordered to find her last known location" were exactly that. Her staying put behind her shield at first, but then taking bullets without showing any effects later was another instance.

Nothing in the marvel movieverse makes it particularly clear what relationship asgardians have to bullets, so what you suggest is possible... but when you watch it onscreen it feels off.
Flag
If she can KICK a large travel trailer around with little effort, I doubt that the shotgun blast to (alien) metal plate-armor is going to bother her. In the comic 'verse, Sif may not be as strong and invulnerable as Thor, but she isn't that far behind him. And like Coulson told May, she did take on the Destroyer in New Mexico. Other than Thor, she was the only one to really damage it.

Sif is a soldier/warrior of Asguard. Following the orders of her king is something she is trained to do. The opportunity to kick the snot of Lorelei before returning her to jail was a small incentive, I'm sure.
Flag
Awesome episode, the best so far! That was what I was expecting, interaction with Marvel Universe. The show has to have more of these side characters (those who kinda remain in the shadow of the main heroes) appearing on the seasons to come.
Now Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is finally on track. The revelation that director Fury is missing link the show and the movies together perfectly. The way I see it indicates that Fury was already "killed" by the Winter Soldier (as we're going to see in the coming Cap movie) and that the corruption inside the agency is not the secret it used to be anymore.
The fact that Agent Coulson (yeah, Tony! His first name is Agent!) is recruiting Skye to find the truth about the miraculous drug that saved their lives (the very fact that they have to find the truth) proves that S.H.I.E.L.D is conducting some morally questionable (to say the least) experiences. Which makes me come up with the theory that the Winter Soldier will be activated by S.H.I.E.L.D (by that guy Pierce to be more precise), even though he was created by Hidra.
Maybe that blue alien Coulson found on the Guest House explains Skye's origins. I mean, she's an 0-8-4, might as well be an alien.
Anyway, theories aside I think the show is heading for a great season finale. A ending that reflects the facts of Captain America The Winter Soldier , I can even see the beginning of the second season reflecting the facts of Avengers Age of Ultron.
More+
Flag
Sky being alien was also one of my theories. I mean they're trying to avoid mutants and the X-gene due to licensing,so far they're saying the telepathy is a hoax and powers in general that aren't Serum-enhanced or Asguard-induced have been very low-key.

Maybe she's a Skrull that was made to look human?. Maybe she's a Shi'ar or Spartoi.

In any case, I wonder if she'll react to the ?Kree? blood differently than Phil.
Flag
Doubt she is Shi'ar; that's too intimately associated with XMen territory.

The blue guy being Kree is extremely possible. That in itself brings up a LOT of possibilities. Especially when you consider what happened to Carol Danvers when she encountered the Kree; end result was her becoming Captain Marvel. She could fly, had super-strength and is fairly invulnerable.

What are going to be the long term results for Coulson and Skye? Probably depends on if the properties of the alien substances injected into them are self-replicating. If they are, that could have some really grim consequences for the intrepid duo.
Flag
In regards to Loki-as-Odin ordering Sif to take Lorelei back to Asgaard, I assumed that Loki would want an army of some of his evil cronies for some plan he will hatch in a future movie. It may even be related to Thanos and the plans that were originally put into motion for what became known as The Battle for New York. From that standpoint, this is not truly a standalone episode.

Also, Coulson's search for answers was not abandoned for this episode as we saw him talking to Sitwell and there were references to all the favors he's called in. I'm also assuming that Fury's disappearance and the blue guy are related to events that will be played out in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier." Trailers for the movie show that Cap doesn't entirely agree with things that Fury is putting into motion to protect freedom. Some of what Coulson is investigating are probably part of that same pattern of potentially shady activities by Fury.
Flag
Not sure how her powers would affect Loki, but it could be possible Loki wanted her out of the way so she wouldn't try to influence him like all the men she sees. But it could also be possible she'd be seen again.
Flag
Loved this episode...Stiff was awesome...so was Lorerei...very nicely played by both ladies.
Ok so Handsome got affected by L. then things got very bad for May at least.
She tried to keep her cool, but deep down she was really not cool with the whole thing.
Simmons and Fits were awesome this episode. How she kept Skye in bed. How he was also inflicted by L....that was so fun to watch.
Coulson did good by telling Skye what really happned and that she has alien blood in her...
Very cool episode.
Flag
A better episode then last week although the may, handsome and skye love triangle is starting to grate a bit now , I do like Lady Sith englishness in amongst 21st century chaos. I think now coulson and skye have a bit kree in them whether it will affect Coulson probably not , but sky together with 084 could make her potential villain.
Flag
Or possibly, one of the Inhumans?
Flag
Inhumans who are they ?
Flag
In the Marvel Comics mythology, the Inhumans were the result of genetic experiments by the Kree on Homo Sapiens at the very beginning of civilization in an attempt to build a warriors with abilities that could be useful in their military activities. According to the mythology, the Kree choose Earth humans because of their unique genetic potential (i.e., the X-gene) but suddenly cancelled further experimentation when they realized that the results of their experiments could turn against them. However, the aftermath of their experimentation was still passed on in some humans from generation to generation. In the comic books, this trait could be activated in human through a substance called the "Terrigen Mists". However, in the Marvel Cinematic and Television Universe, it could be the blood of a Kree. It would also be the reason why T.A.H.I.T.I. is such a secret. It would reveal that humanity was experimented on in the distant past by aliens. This could also explain why Sif disregarded the Kree as having come to Earth before. The Kree arrived much earlier than the Asgardians.

The likelihood of the Inhumans being introduced in the Marvel Cinematic and Television Universe has been a rumor has been circulating recently. It was postulated that since Marvel still cannot legally use the X-Men universe, they are looking at the Inhumans a substitute for a source of new characters.

More +
Flag
Once again, Fitz proves himself an episode's MVP. There was Ward, having to battle May and Sif clinging to the outside of a moving plane before battling Lorelei, but he had to shout for help just to deal with Simmons.
Flag
Super glad I wasn't the only one who considered that Loki as Odin wanted Sif to retrieve Lorelei as part of some deeper scheme... It killed me that my father, who I was watching the episode with, still hasn't seen The Dark World because I had to keep my mouth shut about the theory at the time.
Flag
Another good episode. Look like the Whedons listened to us after all.
Flag
If May was reporting to someone higher up, then shouldn't she have done it right after Coulson destroyed the super secret medical base? And wouldn't they have questioned him about it? It's not like people go around blowing thing up all the time.
Flag
For all we know destroying the base works in their favor since it ties up Fury's loose ends.
Flag
Well, I haven't seen this show since that awesome Simmons is in grave danger episode.

* My biggest problem with this episode is SHIELD continuing to make it seem as if Agent Coulson is SUPER IMPORTANT to the Avengers.

Thor in Thor: The Dark World pretty much only came back to Earth because it seemed Jane Foster was in grave danger. Thor is probably closer to Jane's scientist mentor than he is to Coulson. And Thor wouldn't likely come by simply for that scientist.

So, why would Lady Sif obey Coulson? Her loyalty would be to Thor. And with Thor still on Earth, it'd be easy to tell Thor. Plus, obviously there's no good reason -- from Sif's perspective -- that Coulson hasn't told Thor about his not being dead.

* Why would SHIELD send Coulson and Co. to see about a possible Asgardian threat?

* Back to Coulson's supposed super importance to Thor: Coulson didn't even know who Lady Sif is. So, obviously Coulson doesn't care too much about Thor to even know the names of the main people of Asgard outside of Thor, Loki, and maybe Odin.

* Did Lorelei simply not want to kill Agent May? A strong blow from her should have been able to kill Melinda May.
More+
Flag
Coulson did know who Sif was. He even regaled May with a story of her battling The Destroyer, back from the first Thor movie. I thought it was established quite well that Thor and Coulson were friends. They had numerous scenes together in Thor, especially at the end where they shook hands and Thor called them allies. Some people could potentially argue that Coulson was the one responsible for recruiting Thor. Though they had no extended scenes together in Avengers, he was clearly distraught by his apparent death at the hands of Loki.
Flag
You seem to do a straw man and then ignore what I said about Jane Foster. I don't recall Coulson knowing Lady Sif's name. He only said to May that she was fighting in [i] Thor [/i] and did something badass.

Thor thought Loki killed Coulson and its implied that Thor knows Loki is pretending to be Odin and Thor doesn't mind.

Thor 'recruited' himself by declaring himself the protector of Earth. Thor doesn't 'work for' Coulson and never has. Thor never was 'working for' SHIELD. Arguably, Thor in the movies only involved himself with the Avengers because he needed their help getting the Tessaract back or whatever that was.

The Avengers would want to know Coulson's alive. But it's not as if Coulson is their BFF. It's not as if Coulson being alive would result in anything other than maybe some of the Avengers eventually visiting Coulson. Besides, it's highly unlikely that those like Agent Romanov and Agent Barton wouldn't already know Coulson is alive.
Flag
So this is how low the Whedonverse has sunk? An episode about a female character (played by a tremendously bad actress wannabe) wanting to put a muzzle on another (played by the wonderful Elena Satine, I will miss 'Judy Silver' so much.) because some dude told her to.

How would 'Buffy' feel about that?
Flag
Troll sighted. Please do not attempt to feed...
Flag
Buffy wouldn't say anything, she's busy being completely irrelevant to anything at all in the comics.
Flag
Dude = King.
A soldier carrying out her orders and putting her goals and honor code above emotions. That's quite empowered.
Flag
A woman whose goal it is to put a muzzle on another. Real empowering.
Flag
The muzzled woman was one who caused death and destruction to many, including other women, for her own amusement. What Lorelei was doing was NOT female empowerment, it was criminal.
Flag
...Because her king told her to. Sif is a soldier, her taking orders from such does not denote weakness.
Flag

Lorelai rapes Ward. But it's not a crime when women rapes someone in 21th century.
Flag
The law would probably consider that rape, but it's not important to figure out what the correct legal term is for a completely fictional scenario. What matters here is the effect it had on Ward, and it's not likely to have hurt him much.

It would however have been interesting to see people's reaction if a male Asgardian had done it to Simmons. I suspect that we would see a few people freaking out about it.
Flag
Yes, she does, but who implied it wasn't a crime?

True, it was never explicitly called out by anybody, and the scene itself was played as a standard consensual sex scene, but unless I missed something, there wasn't the usual "she had sex with you, you lucky dog" type banter afterwards from the other men. That's the usual problem with woman-on-man rape scenes in fiction. I don't think it was particularly poorly dealt with here. It wasn't really addressed, but it wasn't glorified either.
Flag
this is a based on a comic by the way?
Flag
Very good episode in terms of references to the marvel movies, but no overusing them so that someone who hasn't seen the movies (i'm guessing not many people who watch the show haven't) is totally lost. Ward getting turned by Lorelei was obvious from the moment Coulson told him to guard the back. Although the show is getting better, the visuals are sometimes bothering me, like the view from above of the S.H.I.E.L.D. plane at the hangar or Skye's medical pod being put in the plane last week, but i'm guessing this has to do with the budget for each episode.
Flag
I really enjoy your reviews. You nailed this one.
Flag
The best episode so far?
Flag
Blasphemy!
Sif has golden hair, not black.
Other than that it was a great episode.

Skye and Coulson keeping the secret from Simmons is a big mistake.

Fitz has a weakness for pretty ladies. Doesn't everyone?

Ben Franklin wasn't president? That's news to me too. All the other portraits, on your bills, are former presidents aren't they?
Flag
Alexander Hamilton on the $10 was never president, he was first secretary of the treasury. :)
Flag
Thank you.
Flag
In the comics Sif has black hair, I'm not quite sure how it went down it was either Loki who cut her golden hair and it grew back black because he was jealous that his brother spent so much time with her or it was the Valkyrie fighting with her over Thor. Most likely it was Loki.
Flag
Sif's darkhaired in comics too so that's continuity.
Flag
in the real mythology her hair is made of pure gold, so it IS Blasphemy! of a religion witch is thousands of years old
Flag
no more than thor teaming up with hercules and jesus to fight giant robots.
Flag
Most religions are.
Flag
I just want to say, I was so glad to see Dylan Bruno again. I miss Numb3rs...
Flag
I tried to figure out where I knew him from. I miss Numb3rs as well
Flag
This also makes the 2nd time a Numb3rs alum made an appearance in a Thor-based episode (Peter MacNicol as the Asgardian in The Well). Coincidence? Ya, probably.
Flag
What if May was speaking to Agent Hill (colbie smulders)? Might be easier to have her show up rather than Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson). I would love to see Colbie come on board this show once HIMYM ends.
Flag
This show would be a million times better with Colbie as a regular.
Flag
I like how Coulson casually asks Lady Sif about any blue aliens, and in the course of listing a few she is aware of she very nonchalantly mentions the Kree.

Flag
You begin your article with this statement in the first paragraph, and I quote

"In "Yes Men," Lady Sif told Coulson (Phillip, Son of Coul) that she was sent to Earth with orders from Odin to capture Lorelei and return her to Asgard. As of the end of Thor: The Dark World, Loki—believed to be dead—is masquerading as Odin. This brings up the question of continuity, and the argument here is that Loki, as Odin, would probably make this order to keep up appearances, but at the same time, it's still just an assumption,..."

Are you freakin serious? Of course Loki is impersonating Odin, and as Lady Sif said Odin ordered her captured and returned ALIVE. LOKI wants LORELEI returned to Asgard, because HE IS IN CHARGE!! She doesn't know that... yet, as she escaped with the rest of the prisoners (as Lady Sif also said), before he did the dastardly deed. So it makes perfect sense that Loki would use those around him to "recruit" like minded individuals.
Flag
I don't know what use Loki has for Lorelei but I also thought the same thing as you when Lady Sif mentioned that Odin's orders were to bring her back alive. Loki must want her back for some reason.
Flag
And why would he want to recruit someone who could control his mind, with a word or a touch, and would like nothing better than to replace him as ruler of Asgard? Lorelei doesn't want to share power with anyone. Loki would need to keep her muzzled to be safe, in which case Lorelei would be pretty much useless to him.
Flag
You did watch The Avengers right? Because um... He allied himself with Thanos for crying out loud, who we all know is a lot more dangerous than she, so why would he even hesitate to use her. Loki is a strategist and a trickster.
Flag
I suppose you're right. She'd make a dangerous pet, but dangerous pets could be Loki's thing.
Flag
Well, considering Loki is a master of magic, I'm sure he could find a way to safeguard himself. Plus, unlike Ward, he probably wouldn't be stupid to let her touch him. They clearly have very similar viewpoints and would obviously want her as an ally
Flag
It was good, better.
Flag
*SPOILERS*
Now I am not sure if anyone has noticed or not, but this episode hinted towards an unannounced Marvel Movie. Possibly Thor 3.

The episode "The well" Began with the aftermath of Thor 2
At the end of Thor 2 we see that Loki somehow took the throne and posed as Odin and now in this episode Lady Sif said that Odin ordered her to have the enchanters brought back alive.

And if Odin is Loki and he wants the Enchantress then things have gotten very interesting.

Flag
minor note: Lorelei=/=Amora the Enchantress (though I can totally understand the confusion)
Flag
I really feel the show is digging so far into the Nick Fury corner, that if he doesn't show up any resolution to the storyline will feel hollow.
Flag
He will. They paid him for a nearly pointless scene in episode 2. Admittedly that was a bit of a stunt to kick off the series, and probably filmed in about 10 minutes, but he wouldn't need to appear for very long to resolve this storyline. A few scenes in the season finale would suffice.
Flag
The two Asgardian ladies were well cast. Jaime Alexander really has the tomboy attitude of a warrior, and Elena Satine makes a perfect seductress, and I can't forget her ever since I saw her as Judy Silver in Magic City.

I agree, it was really, really stupid not to sent a team of women agents to capture Lorelei. What were they thinking? And "put your hands up"???? WTF? I won't even comment that.

Lorelei's power is explained as men having a natural weakeness. As far as I'm concerned, guilty as charged! But Asgard might as well have sent a warlord that drove women crazy. The roles could just as well be inverted and the story would be as plausible. But of course, in the politically-corrected times we live in, of course they wouldn't want to portray women as weak in any way. But they are human just as men, and subjected to the same limitations.

I was just wondering, does Lorelei power affect gay men as well, or she happened to be lucky that all men she encountered were hetero?

So, Grant and Lorelei did it. Way to go, Ward. Taking one for the team. It's an ugly job but someone had to do it. Will Grant and Lorelei exchange letters now that she's in prison?

Somehow I imagine the poor newly-wed girl still waiting for her husband at that Death Valley gas station. Is there any chance her husband might have survived Lorelei's punch?

Oh, May, when I'm barely starting to like you, you go again and do something for me to dislike you more.
More+
Flag
They didn't send women agents to the biker bar because at that point all they had was whoever was in that convoy. And Sif went inside alone to take Lorelei, the agents were supposed to stay outside and surround the building. In Las Vegas they did go into the room with an all woman team, listen to their voices. Coulson only came in when the all-clear was given.
Flag
All I know is that if I had decided to send male agents after a siren who enchanted only men, and some of them ended defending her and attacking my female agents, I'd feel, really, really stupid. And if somebody then told me "Well, duh, what did you expect?" honestly I couldn't blame him.
Flag
Pretty sure Sif meant that it was her duty as a soldier of Asgard to capture the fugitive alive, not that Odin (Loki) wanted Lorelei to serve in his army. A much simpler way to cross with Thor 2 would have been to have the team track down and handle the "newcomer" who arrives in London during the extra credits scene. To HIMYM followers, wouldn't it have been really funny if Lorelei would have said "Thank you Linus," as she blasted her driver in the teaser?
Flag
any star can turn up they just have to take a pay cut but i wonder how much of their pay their agents get ? cos i reckon some stars will have no problem being in the tv show. i mean sam jackson showed up..

i reckon if they have a star labs or some other techno genius dude/gal in the show tony stark / robert downey jnr would fit well but he would totally steal the episode, and use it as a teaser for ultron/his new armor.
Flag
I don't think it would be too hard for them to get Cobie Smulders to reprise her role of Maria Hill for one or two episodes, since she's a bigshot SHIELD agent, and as Nick Fury's right hand she would know where he is, so it would make sense for her to appear on the show.
Flag
True. You'd also have to think about cost of special effects. You can't have Mark Ruffalo show up and NOT hulk up, or Iron Man and not do fancy suit stuff. Even Sif's arrivial was close to looking poor after it was done on Thor
Flag
well if the effects are already done how hard is it to use the same ones ? or even just use those scenes and cgi cut paste it important elements ?
Flag
No idea how hard it would be (not my industry), but look at the Sif arrival in the last episode... It looked a lot worse than in the Thor movies.... And I would've thought that'd be one case you could copy and paste pretty well
Flag
So the big reveal is Ward actually fancies Sky and is just using May for easy access! Love triangle ? Anyway solid episode Lady Sif is fine, she was so underused in Thor 2
Flag
I thought I read that Jamie Alexander was injured from a fall down stairs, so much so that her role in Thor 2 was reduced.
Flag
well may was 'available' and ward and may had some stuff going on so they came together with that common/related to each other, ward couldn't talk about that stuff with sky so he got drunk with may and that happened. as for ward and sky they are the cliche handler and the operative pairing.. see chuck n sarah.
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode.Lady Sif got to shine on her own and had the main hero spotlight without the 'other'guy with the hammer taking all the glory.Lot's of action and drama and I hope they bring more of Thor's supporting cast on the show in future episodes and seasons.And that reveal of May reporting on Coulson to a mysterious caller sent shivers down my spine,could she be a traitor among them and was put there to spy on them.One thing's for sure,they got my attention.And right now,every episode needs to count till the finale,so I hope they continue to keep the fans on the edge of their seats and deliver thrills,twists,action and drama.
Flag
This episode finally made me happy that I see all the Marvel Movies. The references didn't take away from the episode, but they gave excellent nods if you've been keeping track of the interlocking story.
Flag
I LOVE the little bit between Lady Sif and Coulson (or as she called him Phil, son of Coul LOL) when she was actually surprised and happy he was alive (mostly because of Thor) and told him Thor thought of him as a friend. Also cute that Coulson agreed. :) Also, can anyone else see Lady Sif and May becoming BFFs? LOL. I LOVE Lady Sif...I'm so glad they had her on here!

I REALLY liked this episode. This show has definitely been on a high track, and I actually enjoy that there is another component to the Couslon and Skye mystery. I don't think

You mention in the review that it could just be Loki keeping up appearances, but it could also be that he wants to use her power to draw himself an army. Obviously he'd have to have a way to prevent himself from being controlled by her, but he's Loki, I'm sure he'd think of a way.

I have to say, as predictable as this show can occasionally be, I did NOT see the May twist coming. I'm impressed. We still don't know who she's reporting to, obviously, but I'm very excited for the journey to that destination! I also loved Simmons' backbone when she argued with Coulson. She gets better and better, just like the show!
More+
Flag
There was a little bit of a continuity error. Coulson said he saw Sif stab the Destroyer with her sword. "It was pretty badass." According to the movie, Coulson didn't show up in town until after the battle and Thor was ready to leave.

I did like the bit when Coulson started to tell her how the table worked and she instantly knew how to use it. Coulson and Ward's experience with the table a few episodes ago and his reaction to her was perfect.
Flag
There were 2 agents on the roof watching Thor when Sif and the Warriors 3 showed up. They would've shot footage of the battle as part of their surveillance instructions.
Flag
Not according to the deleted scenes :)
http://youtu.be/Ld3_T-NSdJ4?t=2m10s
Flag
In this day and age, you know that at least 2 people were willing to stand there filming the action with their cel phones, not to mention any security cameras. SHIELD, and Coulson would have been able to view the footage after confiscating them.
Flag
not to mention spy satellites.

or a drone watching them.
Flag
she's reporting to fury.

i figure there was a mole in the team, but i was thinking it was some 'clairavoiant' that would've made more sense, than may but then again nick fury would've wanted to keep an 'eye' on coulsons team so yeah one of them had to be a plant. and may being the most secretive of them makes the ideal candidate.
Flag
As a man I can tell you I'm enchanted, not by Lorelei but by Sif, she is stunning, lol. Good episode. I knew Mae was sneaky and reporting to someone else.
Flag
Did anyone else hear Coulosn say HE wanted to tell Thor he's alive. Cameo in the next avengers maybe? or, more likely, Thor moive
Flag
They did have an all female SWAT team when they were in Vegas.
Also, I think May is just reporting to someone higher in SHEILD. Like Fury. I do not think she's a double agnest. Just has higher orders.
Flag
"The Avengers can't know Coulson is alive, because then it might be harder to explain why Robert Downey Jr. won't stop by the show as Tony Stark. But it's still a little frustrating for fans at this point."

I don't care about the Avengers coming onto the show. I want an excellent Superhero/Sci-Fi team show, not something dependent on 10 other people to pop in and out. Also what's this about next weeks episode being a behind then scenes! I want a consistently storyline, character development, humor, and stuff being blown up!

Who's with me?!
Flag
Actually, I can't wait for the special. Not only I it a behind the scenes for the show, but you also get exclusives for Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Avengers 2! I don't know about anybody else, but I'm excited!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members