Tuesday 10:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 20, 2016)

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: S01E09 : "Repairs"

Called it. May and Handsome were doing it. And this wasn't their first time! Apparently this is an ongoing thing. Some of you liked this development last week, but I hated it. I've been spending a lot of time thinking about it, which is probably why I hate it so much, but I think I've figured out why: May and Handsome are Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s two least-developed characters, and their jumping into bed together felt like too obvious of an attempt to shock viewers. Yes, they bonded over their emotional trauma and pain, but there was no build up to this development, and it felt weak. It was a new character pairing we didn't see coming, which is probably just about the only thing I like about it, but this liaison was meant to jump start their stories and make them more interesting, but it failed. Just like last week's "The Well," "Repairs" continued to only give out frustratingly small amounts of backstory. Needless to say, my interest in this particular dalliance remains on par with my interest in stabbing myself in the face with a rusty fork.

Last week, thanks to a well-placed Asgardian berserker staff, we learned that someone in Handsome's life was once in a well and either he prevented someone from saving him right away, or someone prevented him. And that's all we know. We don't know which of the boys Handsome was supposed to be, and we don't know whether or not the boy lived. It was only a glimpse behind the curtain, and that was my main problem with the episode. My dislike for "The Well" continued this week when all of Handsome's rage issues seemed to have disappeared overnight. I'm pretty sure Agent May's ladybits aren't that magical that they can erase that hatred and rage, but then again, maybe she's an unregistered gifted with the opposite power of Zoe Benson on American Horror Story. I don't know her life. Which is kind of the reason I disliked "Repairs."

This week, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. took one of the few things we've learned about May since the beginning of the series and turned the spotlight on it, but it wasn't enough. During "0-8-4" it was revealed that Agent May was called the Cavalry. We know this is supposed to convey that she's a badass who charges in to situations without fear, but why is she called that? What did she do to earn that nickname? 

Like most often repeated stories about heroic acts—like the one about Coulson's death at the hands of Loki in The Avengers—the events have been greatly exaggerated. The events surrounding that mission have been inflated to make May seem more heroic than she was. "Repairs" began to tell us the real story, but it wasn't told by May, it was told by Coulson to Skye, and it read like a redacted S.H.I.E.L.D. document with the who, the what, the why, the when, and the how blacked out. We know May is responsible for taking out an enemy on a former mission, and that the result was that she was no longer warm and fierce, but cold and detached with a shoot first mentality. But we need more. I have no doubt this particular story will resurface at a later date, but the execution of it this week was poorly done, and would have meant more coming from May herself.

Going in, I was really excited for an episode that promised to shed some light on the mysterious Agent Melinda May, but ughhhhh. I didn't expect Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to draw me a map and show me her psych evaluation, but I expected more than what we got. It makes sense that the writers don't want to reveal all of their secrets so early in the game, and they probably think they're whetting our appetites with the small hints they're dropping, but really, they're just frustrating the hell out of me. When I'm more interested in the case of the week about a man stuck between words trying to protect a girl he had a crush on than I am about what's going on with the main characters, that's a big warning flag. And this week, that's exactly what happened.

So far everyone's talking about May, but only Skye seems to be interested in finding out what happened to her that drained the spark from her eyes and made her such a cold person. If we saw more of May outside the cockpit and outside her fighting, I think we'd care more about her. It was nice to see her be the person to talk Tobias into letting go of his love for Hannah and to stop trying to protect her from what he perceived to be dangerous situations, but we still don't know why it is she identified with him. Oh sure, we can infer all we want from this week's events, but I'm tired of inferring. I'm tried of trying to figure out what the writers are trying to say. This is one of those instances that I'm begging for them to show me and tell me. "The Well" used flashbacks to tell Handsome's story, and "Repairs" used exposition to tell May's. Neither of them worked particularly well, so here's an idea: use both? 

But lest you think I hated the entire episode, I would like to draw your attention to Fitz and Simmons and their desire to prank Skye this week. Those poor kids were too smart for their own good and graduated early and never had the chance to prank people, so they chose Skye as their new target since she's new to S.H.I.E.L.D. and wouldn't know any better. But their pranks weren't really pranks, and they weren't really all that good either. Fitz's ideas sometimes felt on par with Winston's on New Girl, though I did love the mop dummy he placed in the closet to scare people only to then scare himself too. His scream was hilarious (and reminded me of this particularly funny moment on Supernatural). Love you Fitz.

Actually, I don't love just Fitz. I also love Simmons. They are my favorite characters on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. at this point. They're the main source of comedic relief, and although we still don't know a whole lot about them either, they're at least funny and warm while Handsome and May remain restrained and boring. This week FItzSimmons brought light into the dark abyss that was "Repairs" and for that I am truly thankful. If the series continues to dole out pieces of May and Handsome's backstories over the next few weeks, I'll be slightly more forgiving of these last two episodes, but I have a feeling, much like Handsome's rage, their stories will be boxed up and placed on a shelf until the next time the story calls for them to make an appearance. 

DECLASSIFIED CASE FILES

– I included the above image because I didn't want you guys to miss out on its beauty. A+ to whoever chose to include it in the set of publicity images ABC released for this episode. 

"Repairs" was written by executive producers Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, which makes me seriously sad. Come on, guys. You should know better. And for the record, I like that S.H.I.E.L.D. is attempting to develop its characters and their backstories, but right now it's just not enough. We need more.

– I don't really get the strong hate that people have for Skye. She's definitely not the who's worst character, and while she annoyed me a bit this week when she insisted that she should've been the person to talk to Hannah, etc. because she's still just a noob, I can also see that Skye's probably the most humanized member of the team, and that she understands people better than anyone else. So it was nice to see Coulson also point out her usefulness at the end.

– I never watch the "Next on..." promos in order to remain unspoiled for upcoming episodes while I write my reviews, but I forgot to turn off my TV and J. August Richard's character from the pilot returns in the next new episode! Please don't screw that one up, show!

– Oh hey, Handsome's Abs! You're way more interesting their his backstory! Come back soon!

– "They only made 20, I think." R.I.P. Coulson's watch.

thekaitling:list:agents-of-shield-what-are-your-thoughts-on-repairs/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/17/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

261 Comments
Comments (260)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The show is not perfect, but rarely is a show perfect in any genre - in fact I'd argue that there's no such thing as a "perfect" show. Despite its flaws I still look forward to watching SHIELD and in fact it's one of the few shows that I'm keeping up with this season (TWD being another one). Others just toil away unloved on my TiVo. Sometimes you can analyze things a bit too much and it ruins the combined whole.
Flag
Okay, thankfully I found this vague floorplan of the Bus that clarified things a bit http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/b/a0/524c5c1e0cd4b.jpg but at the time when they wandering around corridors I was left thinking "where are they? How big is this thing?" I think now we've basically seen everywhere (I gather the "mysterious maintenance corridor set" is on the bottom floor behind FitzSimmons' lab...but...accessed from above?) It's probably not important, haha, but I do like to know how sets piece together, and otherwise the Bus has a really clear Firefly-like layout.

Otherwise I am still liking the show, but in a disposable, procedural sort of way. That sounds like a backhanded compliment, but that's not always a bad thing. There's a time for awesome Breaking Bad serialised intensity and there's a time for fun case-of-the-week show.

I do think a few characters need either a ton of development or a complete overhaul. I love FitzSimmons, I like Skye despite popular opinion, because all three of them feel like real people. Ward is actually not bad, he's growing on me, what we know of his backstory is actually pretty interesting...but he's just so boring when he's on screen. May even more so. But I think what makes them worse is having them both on the show together, they're both stern, emotionally closed off, by the book types and in a cast of six that's no good. But at least Ward's personality bounces well of the others, while May is just...there. I feel like she doesn't have interesting chemistry with anyone.

Another thing...yeah, I really love the Bus, but it's very empty, which is paradoxically good and bad. It really plants the focus squarely on the core characters, which is great, but it also isolates them and makes the show feel a bit empty. I feel like a few extra people around would go a long way, a co-pilot for May, one or two techs in the lab, a redshirt guard or two. On the other hand, the Bus is probably just big enough to do what they're trying to do with it, I can't imagine it having many more than six bunks.

Anyway still on board, liking it for what it is.
More+
Flag
What's the confusion about The Well? The boy in the Well (Who we are left to infer is his younger brother) Calls for help from Grant (AKA Handsome apparently) When Grant goes to help a 3rd boy (who we are left to infer is his bully older bro) tells the same boy, who he ALSO calls Grant not to help yet. So with boys calling the "chubby" boy Grant it seems pretty clear that Agent "handsome" AKA Grant Ward, was the boy desperate to help but "powerless" because of his fear of his older brother.
Flag
I thought this episode was intriguing, though I have a few nitpicks:

Ward and May actually hooking up, damn, didn't call that one did I? At least it looks like they're getting together for stress release only, and nothing more.

I wish they Fitz-Simmons had at least tried to figure out which "otherworld" the poor guy was thrown into, and hadn't just tried to wait out him completely disappearing. I mean they didn't even try to save him?!

Ward should be showing a bit more of his rage he inherited from the Berserker staff.

Other than that, it was a cool episode. I really liked that we're learning more about May and her back story. I loved the whole prank thing that Fitz-Simmons were working on Skye. And I especially loved that May has at least cracked her self-control enough to prank Fitz. I just wish we could learn more of Coulson's back story, and I'm not just talking about Tahiti either.
Flag
I thought it was weird that they made no effort to save him too. Seems a bit like they just left him to die in whatever other world he was going to.
Flag
I had the same thought that May should have been the one telling her story instead of Coulson, but her story remains untold. We don't know what happened to her in that building and that reveal will be told by May, for sure, which will be fantastically emotional.

I think, though, that you're nitpicking a little too much on what's been happening. I have to give SHIELD props for making the cases of the week more interesting and for utilizing them to develop their characters far better than the first few episodes did. Judging by how the show inserts small references to their past episodes on a weekly basis, they haven't forgotten Ward's anger problems, but rather put them on the back burner for now. They'll be back, and we'll get the answers we want about Ward and May, along with Coulson and Skye. Just be patient. SHIELD is moving slowly, but it is moving. And as with other shows (see: this season of The Walking Dead), sometimes moving slowly is the much more interesting route, let alone the one that is much more satisfying.
Flag
I thought Simmons immediately refering to the bad guy as a ghost was very uncharacteristic and strange. She should have takena way more scientific mindset to that, as usual.
Also Skye being the cliche Agnostic/Atheist, as being portrayed by Hollywood a million times before was very dissapointing to me. The whole "I just can't believe because of some bad stuff that happened, but the god is love nonsense is so cool", is so old and just totally wrong when it comes to real life nonbelievers.
Flag
"She's definitely not the who's worst character"

Huh?
Flag
Maybe it was a covert insult aimed at Robert Daltrey???
Flag
When I read the reviews of this show, and people's comments underneath, I generally think "yeah I can see where they're coming from". When I'm watching it though I really enjoy it and if any of those flaws go through my mind, they're swiftly replaced by happy feelings. I look forward to Agents of SHIELD every Friday, which shows they're doing something right, by me at least! I agree that Fitz and Simmons are the two best characters, but I actually don't hate any of the others.
Flag
omg i feel so betrayed :( the telekinetic police car was actually being driven by a stunt man dressed as a skin coloured car seat >:( god damnit!
Flag
Ward, Fitz and Simmons are my faves with Coulson trailing behind them. I started watching the show because of Coulson and now we barely get anything of him and it makes me sad. Instead the show focusses heavily on Skye who I cannot stand because we're supposed to like her and be on her side and them trying to force it on us just doesn't work for me. She has no idea about any of the stuff and wants to do it all and it just grates on my nerves.

They really need to do a better job on May though. I expected a lot from her with the pilot but instead we just get this blank face all the time and it has me a bit disappointed in Ming-Na as well, because I expected at least a few facial twitches or something to convey more but there's nothing.

May/Ward feels a bit odd to me but it didn't come completely out of nowhere. It all depends on interpretation though but I much prefer it to all the in-your-face Skyeward crap we got since the beginning of the show. I was so sick and tired of it that I actually considered quitting the show. Therefore I'm glad for anything that prevents those two to happen.
More+
Flag
I love Fitz & Simmons, Coulson, Skye & Ward are kinda take them or leave them, whereas I have actively not liked May; she seems too cold and unlikeable. This episode was a step in the right direction for May but still a way to go.
Flag
nah, this show has the 90s written all over it - without enough contemporary feel. Doesn't matter if we get backstory or a firmer grasp of what the heck this group is really for - the whole feel of the show is lackluster. No passion.
Flag
UMMm really we know it was "handsome" brother in the well... he said I have been thinking about my brothers death and soooo a bully put him in a well and instead of saving him he was too late... It really made sence to me.
Flag
He has said in the past that his older brother beat up and heavily bullied him and his younger brother (I think it was the pilot or second episode). I assumed both were his brothers.
Flag
true that makes sense too... I had forgotten about the older brother but it would haunt you if you allowed this to happen.
Flag
The major problem I had with this episode was the subject matter. There was a lot of discussion about god, demons, hell, ghosts etc. and in a show like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. which is quite clearly based around science related ideas, the fantasy aspect felt very out of place too me.

The introduction of the Asgardian staff last week worked because the episode was able to explain its backstory successfully through linking it with mythology, not just saying it was magic. Here they established that Tobias had unfinished business (somehow that's enough to make a dead man corporeal?) and that he was trapped between this world and another (which was frequently discussed to either some form of afterlife, Heaven or Hell).

For me, it just felt like a bit of a cop-out that the writers used a non-science based explanation to ground the episode, and then thought it was okay not to develop or discuss it any further.
Flag
The inference (for the Marvel super-fans) was that he was in Muspelheim; that's another of the 9 worlds / realms, and was one of the four realms in Thor: The Dark World that we didn't't actually visit, but was seen as the big disk in the sky that appeared to just be lava and fire. Home of Surtur the fire demon who wants to set the universe on fire. Even if he never met one of the "demons", you can see why he'd think he was in hell.
Flag
The "science based" explanation was that it wasn't Hell (despite Tobias naming it such), but a portal to another dimension opened through the accident.

That said, I think they could have explained it further. I think the main objection that a lot of people are having (whether or not they voice it well) is the way the show is being slow and gingerly about how it doles out information. As a student of the medium of modern television, I don't mind; I deem sufficient the information we've been given thus far.

But the show should tread lightly, lest it finds itself cancelled before it can reveal all the cards it's holding close to its vest. Not everyone is as patient as I am.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
It's a little disheartening to hear your frustration with the show, Kaitlin, when you were so supportive of it at the beginning. I find it weird because I think the last four episodes, with the exception on 'The Hub' have been a great improvement from the four that came before it, whereas you seem to think the opposite.

I completely understand why your annoyed with the series, and I agree to a certain extent, but at least 'Repairs' and 'The Well" gave us more time with Ward and May, so that even if their backstories are being divulged at a rather undesirable pace, having them interact with the others character and situations specifically based around them gives us insight into their personalities that previous stand-alone episodes have not been able to achieve.

We still really don't know why May is called 'The Calvary', but we do know she's capable of a good practical joke, and for now, this early in the series, episodes like this are acceptable. Would I like more answers and a more serialised plot in it's place? Hell yes, but I'm not going to complain over something that's decent just because it's not my favourite type of television.
More+
Flag
I see where you are coming from in regards to Ward and May's relationship, Kaitlin, but honestly I like it as 'a new character pairing we didn't see coming', because everything else Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been doing in regards to character development has been rather dull, so this was a welcome surprise for me.

Although that being said, I wish they would have been more subtle with its continuation this week. Did they really need to have the morning after scene to establish that they'd had sex more then once? No, they didn't, but it was the easiest way to write it. And moments like May calling Ward out of being late, and Ward's reaction to Skye trash-talking May become all the more painful when as viewers we know what's happening, but where all the other characters are clueless. The repetition of scenes like this only heightens the ham-handed way in which it's been presented, so I hope they tone it down in the future.
Flag
Really, reading your reviews I get the impression you think it's "cool" to trash the show or something. Maybe the characters of Ward and May are too subtle for you but there has been quite some development going on there and just FYI "controlled" does not mean "cold", sometimes far from it.
Anyway, I really liked this episode and what it showed us about who the characters are a lot.
Flag
I think you nailed it. :) Ward and May are my favorite characters on this show because their development is subtle and slow. I'm in for a long haul and I don't need all mysteries to be resolved in the first five episodes.
Flag
The only thing I agree with in this review is that Fitzsimmons are the best thing about this show. They are completely adorable and so funny. Fitz's face when he was plotting the pranks was just precious.

My view on May and Ward having sex is thank God it wasn't a '5 season will they/won't they thing', or a 'sex is a huge deal that changes everything' or any of the other done to death options. Instead we got two mature, consenting adults using sex to blow off some steam and then getting on with their life. It's refreshing!

I'm also fine with not knowing more about them - I don't need to know all about them. The person we know the most about is Skye and she's my least favorite character. I find her tolerable in small doses now, whereas before I was praying for her to be killed off, so I guess that's progress?
Flag
I liked this episode. However, I HATE when TV shows and especially sci fi shows discuss religion. Not only do they almost always get it wrong, it has no place in most of these shows (since they essentially take place in a made up world, it doesn't make sense for God to exist). It would be like trying to analyze if Bilbo Baggins or Harry Potter were Christians: clearly they weren't because God doesn't exist in the worlds in which they live.
Flag
I have to agree. I don't need to be spoonfed every detail, but the whole dragging out stuff is wearing thin. Maybe it's time they started doing flashback eps and show each character's past and answer more questions. By now we should develop some sort of idea what each character is like to give a damn about them. Other than Coulson and Skye (noob, so forgivable), there's not much to the others than either the brains or the brawn. I dunno how much control Loeb has on this show, but if this his doing, then it doesn't give me much faith even if this show is renewed for season 2. He's already turned the marvel cartoons to crap. Why does marvel let him get away with this? Bring in some other competent people like Chris Yost (Avengers EMH) or someone.
That said, for this ep, that other dimension looks interesting and the guy was pretty creepy the way he just disappeared at will. Nothing scarier than someone popping up right behind you.
Flag
While I tend to generally agree with the overall conclusions that the TV.com reviewers come to, I find myself diverging from them on my impressions of this show more and more by the week.

I actually liked this episode a lot. It had a creepy kind of Event Horizon vibe going on, and I found the character development of May interesting and more than "enough".

Less can be more, you know. You don't always have to show a flashback to get the point across, and I agree with their call on leaving what happened with May and the cultists in that building to the viewer's imagination. The important takeaway was that she saw some shit and killed a bunch of (probably brainwashed) people, and she's never been quite the same since. The bit at the end with her pranking Fitz was a nice touch, too -- it showed the old May is still in there somewhere.

The only thing that took me out of the episode was something mentioned near the beginning of the review, namely that Ward (or Handsome, if you prefer)'s anger from the last episode really did wear off real quick. Maybe we're supposed to surmise that him and May shacking up "cured" it, but that'd be rather insipid.

P.S. I'm pretty sure we were supposed to infer that last episode was their first night together, and this episode is a week or two later, with them continuing to shack up off-screen during the intervening period.
More+
Flag
Oh, and yeah, I definitely think May's lady-parts are unregistered gifted areas, given I would happily give one of my arms to swap places with Ward any time.

Flag
No mention of the fact that May seemed to disappear into thin air when Tobias tried to attack her? Couple that with the fact she once got into a facility and rescued a bunch of people---something Coulson said he never figured out how---and I think I am sensing some potential teleportation powers within Melinda May. That indicates potentially a major development/reveal. Or maybe thinking too much into it. Either way, I definitely agree with Fitz's general awesomeness. Love him too!
Flag
Interesting theory. Since this is set in the Marvel Universe, it seems like a given that they'll have someone with an "ability" as part of the crew at some point (May or otherwise).
Flag
I'm not opposed to the whole Ward/May pairing currently. Sometimes unexpected things can end up working out surprisingly well. I'll just see where they take them. Enjoyed Fitz and Simmons, as always =) Hopefully the second half of the season will pick up(both in terms of character development and story lines). It is only the first half of the first season and hopefully there is enough time for improvement. I found that Arrow had the same problem during the first half of its first season.
Flag
Handsom was the boy that was prevented from helping his friend/brother out of the well. I'm pretty sure anyway, his name was used as far as I remember.

I thought the Handsom/May hook up was a bit boring to be honest as well.
Flag
I'm like 99% positive you are correct. Ward's younger brother was stuck in the well, and Ward's older brother was preventing Ward from rescuing the younger brother.
Flag
That is the way I read it too
Flag
It seemed to me that Ward was the boy in the well. Most of the images in Ward's flashbacks were from his perspective, down in the well.
Flag
I thought that at first while watching it, but the perspective changed towards the end and the older boy then used his name so I'm pretty sure. But of course I could be wrong.
Flag
And it would explain why being pushed in the waterfreaked him out so much.
Flag
To me, I don't like how an episode or flashback reveals everything about a character, I like a little mystery and want to slowly get to know a character
Flag
May and Handsome...i wouldn't mind to spend a night with him too, on the otherhand he seems realy boring...anyways...
Loved Fits and Sims this episode, attempting to prank Sky was so funny and didn't work..
I liked how they did it with the ghost kind of guy, but this episode really didn't feel like a Marvel storyline...
Like above mentioned i would have loved to know more about May...
Loved how she smiled in the end, when they were trying to figure out who did the prank on Fitz
Flag
QUOTING FROM RECAP: Last week, thanks to a well-placed Asgardian berserker staff, we learned that someone in Handsome's life was once in a well and either he prevented someone from saving him right away, or someone prevented him. And that's all we know. We don't know which of the boys Handsome was supposed to be, and we don't know whether or not the boy lived.

RESPONSE: actually we did learn more about the incident. in an earlier episode, well trying to bond with Skye for their training work, he made reference to an incident that had something to do with bullying and his brother and it having been a traumatic experience. This, then, was a fuller "explanation" of what had happened during that incident. It was his brother in the well, calling out Grant's name and begging for help. We also know that Grant tried to rescue his brother but that the neighborhood bully that had thrown his brother into the well came over to prevent Grant from rescuing his brother and kept telling Grant to leave his brother in the well longer, even though Grant was insisting that his brother would drown soon. By the time the bully left and Grant was able to turn his attention back to the actual rescue attempt, we saw – in the final flashback – that his brother had grown too weak and slipped under the water for what – to me, at least – was clearly intended to be the "last time. "

So, basically, what happened was that the neighborhood bully threw Grant's brother in a well and when Grant went to try to rescue him, The bully got in Grant's face and prevented him from being able to lower the rope before his brother became too weak to keep struggling and drowned.
More+
Flag
Guess viewers against the May-Ward hookup/s are simply experiencing the "OMG-not my grandparents too?!" syndrome. Well, if your grandparents looked as good as these 2 agents, I wouldn't mind watching them put pies in the oven. Yum! :
Flag
My grandparents don't have quite that age difference.
Flag
They're both old and mature enough to choose what to do. They're both young enough that it's likely that neither of them is going to be grossed out by the other one's body. How can the age DIFFERENCE be at all relevant when those two conditions are satisfied?
Flag
Soo... theres's a guy with a pipe wrench walking around some other dimension that's similar to hell? Unlucky, next case.
Flag
I had great hopes for this series but it's clear now it hasn't a clue where it's going or why it exists at all. Is it meant to be the new FRINGE? Too late for that as ALMOST HUMAN has nabbed that. Is it SMALLVILLE in the sense that the costumed heroes take back position to the human interest stories? It's surely not ARROW. So far they seem to be the clean-up crew that scrubs down murder scenes after CSI has finished with them. Where is the story arc? Where is the Big Bad? Why is this team in this configuration? They're still strangers to me and this is episode 9. Come on, both Whedons. You can do a LOT better than this. Fanboy love only lasts so long and soon it's going to be..so long, SHIELD.
Flag
I understand that an upcoming episode will cover the aftermath of CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER. This totally encapsulates the problem with this show. It's like an internet fan show, totally dependent on the big budget films that spawned it and difficult to follow if you don't see the films it references IMMEDIATELY. No waiting for the DVD with Agents of SHIELD. You have to see the opening weekend in the local multiplex first. That's ridiculous. The Marvelverse is HUGE and Agents of SHIELD should be exploring that, not sweeping up the morning after someone else's big party.
Flag
It's a Joss Whedon show, the Big Bad rarely makes any kind of appearence until the start of the second half of the season
Flag
I'm not giving up on it. It's a good show. I'm waiting for the Whedon Turbo to kick in...
Flag
FitzSimmons are hands down the best part of the show.
Flag
Last week I felt icky about Ward and May but after this opening I like them.
Flag
OMG guys, i totally wigged when i realized that Ward and May were all horizontal tango. Ick. I mean, for reals? I felt like someone slapped me in the face with a cold fish, but maybe that was the point, and at this juncture in the show it's the only thing i can give Whedon credit for: giving us the unexpected (pairing). You really are better than this.
I said it before and i'll say it again: i literally don't think he has any passion for this show. We've seen it in everything else he's done down to the tiniest detail, but this is so blah on the week to week that i forget it's even on. They could just run the show with Coulson (for the most part, sadly enough), Fitz & Simmons and i'd watch that. Sky is okay. She's like, the every girl, the girl next door if you will and i guess that's why i don't out right hate her. she's so...normal. like she could be your friend.
I actually imagine whatever episode i'm watching without Ward or May and it's legit 10x better when you alleviate them. That's depressing for a Whedon show, especially when he usually weaves his characters together so seamlessly, even when you don't expect it. It bothers me that he's done more with so much less (Firefly was cancelled by about this point, and it established a decimated world, inspired an entire cult fan base and a desperate call for a movie that is STILL referenced in almost everything sci fi related out there, x files style.) See the problem?
I'm still holding out hope it gets better. i too enjoyed the case of the week better than whatever else was happening. i liked that he said he was in Hell, but it looked like, when he pulled his hand back at one point, that he had the same evil elf hand(s) that they did in the Thor movie. I didn't find the way May basically said 'shoo!' all that fulfilling though. but you know, that's just her. the only thing i liked was her own prank on Fitz. probably the most solid breakthrough her character has shown, and i'm sure she's a great actress and is very underused.
Also, did anyone catch how she said 'i said what you told me in Bahrain; let the girl go." Coulson said there was a civilian girl hostage with the agents. I'm guessing the girl either died or this is one of those Whedon parallels to Sky's story. Maybe May found her. Or knew of her before. but that's just me, being annoyed that i have to infer what the future holds almost 10 episodes in. Ugh.
Please, get with it.
More+
Flag
This episode just added another reason why this show is going dump. This is the first season and its episode 9 and I'm still unable to connect to any of the characters on the show. Mainly because of the lack of story behind any of the characters.

I don't understand that if Tobias was trying to protect her, why didn't he did so when may shot Hannah? He should have killed may on the spot for doing that. Instead we have to wait 10 mins of boring no background storyline to figure there was a guy stuck between hell and earth that is on the plane. A joke I saw recently but it seems Dean and Sam from Supernatural could have taken care of Tobias in 15 mins and gave us the same fun that the episode gave us.
Flag
Ok, no coment about the "welcome wagon" joke
Flag
oh, the irony...
Flag
Frustrating is the ultimate word for this show, and this episode in particular. It has the potential. It has characters that could have interesting backstory and you know, PERSONALITIES (does Ward know what inflection is other than that time he was hopped up on anger juice?) And I agree so much about the Ward/May thing. Ward and May have zero chemistry, and zero build up that even points to some kind of mutual need to fill in each other. Just because they both have problems does not mean it makes any sense for them to hop into bed or that anyone should care about this. Fitz and Simmons have been the best part of any episode for weeks now, but even that's not enough to save this thing. Can I make a good drinking game of how many times they mention Coulson's death or Thor? Yes. Can I make a drinking game out of how many times they have successful and interesting character development? Nope -- I could marathon and not get tipsy. And you're right -- these reminders of mysterious backstory aren't making it more interesting, they're just telling us "another thing you still don't know, and still no good reason to CARE about it." Sorry for the rant, but rarely does a tv show frustrate me so much ( I know it has potential...so close yet so far). And I thought this was one of the better episodes! So far, I've really only liked the pilot and the virus ep. The pilot for J. August Richards' character and the virus one because you actually got to care about Fitz and Simmons and see the care they all have for each other and feel the stakes. Overall, I'm sticking this show out for the first season but...I just feel like it should have improved by now.
More+
Flag
Couldn't agree more with all of your points. To sit back and realize this is the 9th episodes and this is all the character development we've had is actually pathetic.

FitzSimmons make every episode watchable for me, at least since the virus/hub episode bunch. Before that I was losing interest fast. They just need to focus on those two and I'll be golden.
Flag
While I won't argue how Kaitlin feels, I personally like my character's to develop slowly. I personally find it boring if I find out all the cool stuff about a character early on. I'm like a lady this way, I wanna be teased for a bit before you go in deep.

A couple other notes:

1) I don't think this relationship has been going on for a while, I think at the start of the episode, we weren't seeing the direct continuation of the last episode, but likely another sexual episode since the previous events (ie. they did it twice since last week). Especially given the fact that Ward never met May until the start of the series, it seems unlikely that they have been having some shadow relationship since Sept. and we only saw it just now.

2) Also, we know exactly who Ward was in the Well flashbacks, because they explicitly said his name. He was the kid at the top of the well holding the rope, wanting to throw it down, because the older guy who was bullying him explicitly calls him "Grant". There is no mystery there.
More+
Flag
Plus, Ward recounted a childhood incident to Skye in episode 2 about his brother bullying him. From that I'm assuming that Ward was the kid at the top of the well who was being threatened by his brother not to save the drowning kid.
Flag
Ya I figured the older kid is likely his brother based on what we already know, but they never explicitly stated that part.
Flag
ok maybe i missed something in the opening, but how do we know they have hooked up more then once?
Flag
Ward's whole speech something "We'll do what we did last time. Take seperate routes in...." so this was at minimum the second time.
Flag
thanks, guess i totally missed that
Flag
except for confirming the "new" couple, i loved this episode!
Flag
Seriously boring episode this week. Don't settle into a routine halfway through your first season!
Flag
I can see why you do not like how some things are going, but i disagree. Could we use more about the characters, yes... but do I expect instant gratification, not really. Give the writers and the show more time, if we get 15 - 20 episodes in and you're still not liking where things are going, I can understand that more. You have been given little bits of info and you want more. Be annoyed if you want, but considering I like shows like Supernatural and that show drives me nuts for entire seasons, a few episodes and a little bit of info cannot get me all worked up just yet. And everyone can have their views, but for me, there is no character i dislike right now. they all have there purposes. That's my rant, I enjoy the show and that has not changed and I know you still like it as well, just have those things that drive you nuts.
Flag
it's not that the show is bad, it's that it's childish and shallow. It's a kid's show! Even the violence is slow, unrealistic, old-school Batman. The psychological awareness of all characters in the show are basically high-school niveau, and the type of joking around while taking care of super-serious matters that are constantly baffling and somewhat confusing - creates an emotional distance and meta-awareness that mostly teenagers use, due to insecurity.
Flag
Fitz is a Whovian (tardis in his bunk plus scaring people with a gas mask=D ), this fact alone confirms him as my favorite character. The fact that him and Simmons are consistently the two most interesting people in the show also helps earn him this spot. I find agent May intriguing but I have to agree that I don't particularly like how they reveled her back story. It wasn't Skye's business, Coulson should have told her that he trusted May and to stop being an immature brat. Coulson is okay but in most of his interactions with Skye he bothers me. To be honest I really dislike Skye. She is a dangerously naive child whose back story indicates should be far more world weary than she is. I'm neural towards Ward and I understand his character motivations and the basis of why he is who he is, but Skye does not fit with her history (she seems more like a sheltered idealist than an orphan) and does not fit with SHIELD.
Flag
Simmons and Fitz are my two favorites, and this week just continued that trend. Fitz was hilarious with the mop and also his, "Hey, that's our story" line.

I'm on the fence about the back story for May because I wanted more, too. It isn't really enough to just have the story told without the main person being involved. I'm sure the writers will address it more, but it would have been nice to get a bit of a deeper look. I still am really enjoying this show, though, and since all I ask from my shows is that I'm entertained, I still feel it's a good one.
Flag
Oh and about Skye, I think the reason so many people don't like her is just because, as the viewer, most of the time you know when a character is in the wrong however ,like Skye has done numerous times, they continue to press on about issues you know they should just give up on already. She is portrayed as a very strong willed character and it can sometimes makes it a bit tedious to watch but, as you said she is a noob and she will get better,

Flag
I liked FitzSimmonds in it, but I have liked them in every episode soooo....yah. Any way, I think it's going to take some time but the show will pick it up soon and everything will be better.
Flag
I keep hoping they'll pick it up - we'll see. Maybe it'll be better after the hiatus.
Flag
I think I'm giving up on this one. I just don't care. I like Clark Gregg and mini Olivia Munn, but I just can't anymore. Its boring.
Flag
This was one of the slower episodes of the season. It was something more appropriate on Supernatural. Yet, it did allow Mayday to show a more compassionate and rascally side.
Flag
Ward hooked up with May. And because obviously everybody has to hook up with somebody, that leaves Fitz to finally have a shot with Skye (because that's what he seems to want), I suppose, and that leaves Simmons with whom? Coulson? Oh, no, all is wrong in the Marvel Universe!

I don't understand the Skye-hate. She considers herself more capable than May to deal with situations that require a more gentle touch and with reason; Ward and may seem to need to work on their people skills. But of course there's more than meets the eye about the characters, and Skye is learning not to make such fast judgments. But considering it was a crisis situation, she stepped up to help, as she should have.

Still many people are complaining about the show. Maybe Oliver Queen should may a special appearance at SHIELD. Perhaps the nice guys at DC can give a hand to this show if the writers find nothing interesting in the Marvel universe to use. Ha, ha, just friendly teasing the marvel fans...

It's funny, but I was never curious why May was called the Cavalry. I've always thought the cavalry was someone or something you call or use as a last resort, and which will save us in the nick of time. That would fit May's effective, but harsh skills. Really, if she killed 100 or 20 men is not that important, so they made a big deal of a backstory but that didn't have much of a point. OK, the fact that she changed from a prankster to surly was important.
More+
Flag
Do you really think May has less people skills than Skye? In the woman situation, I would trust May, who looks serious and professional much easily than Skye, who acts as a spoiled teen.
Flag
May never smiles, has a robotic reaction to events around her, is always surly, doesn't talk much, doesn't interact with others. And Skye is friendly and tries to connect with everybody. And May shot the girl who was being haunted, and she was scared. She din't need someone "serious and professional" but someone who would relate to her personally instead. I think Skye was right.
Flag
Sorry, I couldn't reply your other message, but I needed to clarify this. I didn¿t say Skye is a teenager (that wouldn''t have bothered me). I said "she actas as" a spiled teen and she is a silly teenager "look alike". English is my third language, but I tried to say: she is an adult acting like a child, that is why she is annoying. May is an adult acting like an adult.
Flag
OK, it's just that you repeated the word teenager so many times apparently in the hopes that would stick. First, there's nothing wrong with an adult having a youthful attitude. And I don't find anything of a spoiled child in her behavior. She has been totally independent for a long time in her life. She tries to relate with everybody, as she finds that important. In fact with those who have opened themselves, she managed to build a good relationship. She's just trying to be part of the team. But, yes, she has strong opinions about things (much preferable to someone passive and submissive), and as she is an agent in training, she still has a lot to learn, which is perfectly normal for someone her age. And come on, she doesn't look like a teenager *at all*. She is a full grown woman in her twenties, and a very attractive one, by the way. I think your constant demeaning reference to teenagers says more about your own interpretation than an objective consideration of the character.
Flag
Understood. I completely disagree, but that is because I would be much more scared of a silly teenager look alike than of adult May. But that is me. I don't read Skye as having pepple skills, as the show tries to convince me she has, but as being unreliable.
Flag
I suppose different characters will appeal to different people. This is why they are different. Personally, I can't stand May. And nothing in the show even suggests Skye is a teenager. She's an adult in her early 20s who has long lived on her own.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members