Tuesday 10:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 20, 2016)

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S01E18: "Providence"

The best villains are the ones who don't look and feel like villains. They're persuasive and sympathetic to the point that you might question whether or not you've actually been looking at the world through the wrong pair of glasses until now. For example, FX's The Americans has expertly managed to flip viewer expectations by crafting characters that feel like people rather than just good guys and bad guys. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is not The Americans, and you won't find me buying mock turtlenecks or yelling "Hail Hydra!" anytime soon, but damn it if Bill Paxton and Brett Dalton didn't at least make the bad guys look pretty good during "Providence." And I'm only half referring to Dalton's new evil scruff (which I hope becomes a permanent fixture). You always hear actors talk about how much fun it is to play the bad guy, and I've often wondered why that is. It probably comes down to the fact that bad guys often have no moral compass. They don't worry about consequences, and therefore they're less constrained. Ward pulled out his guns and killed several more S.H.I.E.L.D. agents at the Fridge this week, and it was, for lack of a better term, awesome. And dare I say it was kind of sexy? (I do not find murder sexy in real life.)

It's not like Dalton's the first actor to ever flip the switch midway through a role, but now that we've seen the result, I'm not sure I've ever been so unhappy with the previous incarnation of a character that I've wanted his evil twin to stick around forever. When Angel lost his soul on Buffy, he was a great foil and brought out some truly interesting storylines, but did anyone really want Angelus to stay? Ward was like a different person in "Providence," which A) was the point, and B) hey, that's good acting! I've spent most of this season dumping on Dalton and/or Ward, but the stiff Agent Ward persona we spent so many hours with really was that boring. This new version of Ward—who is presumably the real Ward—is so much more fun and interesting. He throws out lines like, "I'm everyone's type," and not only does it not make you want to groan, but you're like, "Holy sh*t. Where have you been hiding?" I've been begging S.H.I.E.L.D.'s powers that be to make Ward an actual character all season, and they finally have. Now that he's here, I'm willing to do just about anything to keep him. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's possible.

"Providence" certainly continued to add to the momentum that's been building since the show returned from its winter hiatus, but even more so than in the past two episodes. After Ward's true colors were revealed in the final moments of "Turn, Turn, Turn," many S.H.I.E.L.D., fans wondered if he was really a member of Hydra, or if he was a triple agent actually working for Coulson. I was torn, because I desperately wanted Ward to be a villain, but I'd also become very attached to his character in the span of a few episodes and didn't want to say goodbye. Last week I threw out the idea that this isn't a Hydra vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. fight for Ward, but more of a Garrett vs. Coulson fight, and I suspect that's still the case. Right now, Ward really appears to be Garrett's man through and through, which means the battle for Ward's allegiance (or soul, as the promos for the next episode would like us to believe) is going to be a personal one. Ward told Raina that Garrett saved him from himself—and the slivers of backstory revealed earlier this season are enough to support this statement, even if Ward didn't go in to detail—and Ward feels he owes Garrett everything. So it's not as if Ward necessarily believes in Hydra or its mission—he still hasn't uttered "Hail Hydra"—but more that he believes in Garrett. It's a little unclear what Garrett believes in, but I think he mostly just enjoys chaos and playing for the winning team.

If S.H.I.E.L.D.'s writers end up backtracking and making this series of events involving Ward just another con, it will ultimately tarnish these episodes and the arc the character is currently on. Plus, what good would it do? What would it prove? We already know he's a skilled liar and manipulator. The show has made two pointed references to how similar his skills are to Natasha Romanoff's—once in the pilot and again in "Providence." Do we really want or need to see this as him pulling one over on Garrett? Right now, we don't even have a reason to believe Ward would want to fool his former boss. It's true that he could've had a change of heart at some point during the first 17 episodes of the series and come clean to Coulson, but Ward as an embedded spy on Coulson's team is far more compelling, and has far more story potential, than S.H.I.E.L.D. revealing that he's more or less always been one of the good guys.

Right now the series has taken a character we thought was a stand-up gent, someone who was painted with hard lines, and turned him into a morally gray character who's blurred around the edges. I don't see him ending this season as a card-carrying member of Hydra or even a member of Garrett's team—in fact, I'd bet a nice bottle of scotch on him returning to Coulson's team—but I wouldn't be unhappy if he went out a traitor, either. It would be a bold move for S.H.I.E.L.D., and remember the whole sexy thing I mentioned earlier? But I don't think that's the story the writers want to tell. Ward spent a lot of time in close quarters with Coulson, May, Simmons, Fitz, and Skye, and Raina made a big deal about that this week. Ward fought alongside them as they all became a family, he forged real relationships with them, and it's going to be those relationships that will probably ultimately lead him back . Perhaps it's a little cliched, but the good guys are going to win this battle against Garrett. Every Marvel movie ends with the good guys winning, because that's what people want to see, so why should a Marvel TV series be any different? Is Ward a good guy beneath all his personal baggage and whatever Garrett fed him while he was Ward's superior officer? Are his feelings for Skye enough to make him wake up and smell Garrett's bullshit? It's probably going to be very tough for Ward to let go of his allegiances to the man who saved him and made him who he is today, but that doesn't mean he won't be able to do it.

Coulson faced his own challenges this week, only his battle was about accepting a world in which S.H.I.E.L.D., the one constant in his life, might no longer exist. Only four S.H.I.E.L.D. bases have been secured since Hydra made its presence known, and the team spent most of "Providence" fleeing from Colonel Glenn Talbot after S.H.I.E.L.D. was declared a terrorist organization. Coulson has spent his entire adult life as an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.—Fury recruited him right out of high school (is this new information? Did we just get a bit of Coulson's backstory?)—which is why it makes sense he's willing to believe something as far-fetched as coordinates to some middle-of-nowhere spot in Canada were a sign from Fury. Not being able to call S.H.I.E.L.D. home is going to be hard for everyone—May's a veteran agent, Skye finally felt like she'd found a home, Fitz and Simmons have spent a lot of their short lives training for this job, only to have it taken away—but Coulson's the one with the close relationship to Fury, and Coulson's the one who was brought back from the dead, which means Coulson's the one with the most to lose.

In the end it comes down to what Fitz told Simmons this week, which is that they should stick with the guy they believe in. Fitz and the rest of the team more or less believe in Coulson, who in turn believes in Fury. I'm not sure what Fury believes in at this point—and as the show confirmed, he isn't necessarily the most trustworthy guy, which is something that's come up in several Marvel movies now—but these characters are arriving at a crossroads, and everyone's going to have to make some big decisions soon. There will be personal challenges, as well as those created by the baddies Garrett and Ward released from the Fridge this week, but so far S.H.I.E.L.D. has managed to fire on all cylinders for several episodes in a row, and it doesn't appear as if it's going to slow down. I feel more optimistic about this series than I ever have before. Besides, even if Ward's heart grows three sizes and he rejoins the team, we'll always have the scruff of evil.

DECLASSIFIED CASE FILES

– Garrett is already a cyborg. SAY WHAT? I'm struggling with this reveal. When did it happen? Is it real reason he switched teams? Are you mad that this development is already here? Help me sort out my feelings, guys.

– Garrett is trying to find the miracle cure that saved Coulson and Skye, and he stole a whole bunch of the other "medicines" we saw at the Guest House. He's also charged Raina with restarting the Centipede program. Who else thinks Raina's seen the light and is about to jump ship now that she knows Garrett isn't really clairvoyant?

– May revealed that Fury was not behind the T.A.H.I.T.I. project! Who was it, then?

– I hope Patton Oswalt, a.k.a. Agent Eric Koenig a.k.a. the Lanyard King stays around for a bit. He's fun.

– As you may have noticed, as of last week I've dropped the Agent Handsome nickname for Ward now that he's dropped that boring persona. But if it turns out that he just ate some weird pot brownies and reverts back to Boring Dude, I'll rethink this decision.

– Coulson's team doesn't know Fury is alive, and it's probably for the best, because Skye was likely to slip that piece of intel to Ward unknowingly, anyway. She's already putting the team in danger by letting Ward into their secret base, but at least homegirl was smart enough to encrypt the hard drive before handing it over to Ward. 

– Every time I write "Coulson's team" I want to write "Coulson's gang," which makes me think "Coulson and the Gang," which makes me wish for a deleted scene in which they all go to a karaoke bar and sing "Celebration."

– Ian Quinn, I'm sorry I called you a jerk. I love you and your hate for meatloaf and having to live in a cell that is smaller than your shoe closet. I am glad you're back and that you're probably about to unknowingly unleash Graviton because Ward and Garrett rescued your precious gravitonium from the Fridge. Also, what other goodies do you think they procured? 

thekaitling:list:agents-of-shield-what-did-you-think-of-providence/

488 Comments
Comments (488)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
so it's not just me, ward is suddenly hot! :)
Flag
So, is the only handsom man on SHIELD going a traitor?
Flag
This show is getting better and I like Paxton's character for the humor. Why are the bad guys here so dynamic and more livelier? Coulson is ok, but not a fan of the brooding stuff especially over the tahiti thing. I still have a feeling Dr. Strange might've been involved with Coulson's recovery. They wouldn't just drop steven strange's name in the film without a reason. I can't wait to see the fallout from the weapons stolen and the bad guys that were busted free. I do hope the next hulk film will involve the cube and his villains. loved the mention of the cube. Next thing they need to do is mention the 'big house' and have that involve antman. So slowly, the show is turning around and maybe it might be more than just an excuse to promote the films and actually tell storylines that the films can't cover.
Flag
Best possible outcome to the season:
Ward kills Skye, and becomes the overall Big Bad for next season.

For some reason it really annoys me when shows try to make it seem really cold somewhere, but the actors aren't huddled, shivering, and you cant see their breath when they talk! Also, in Canada, it can snow and be sunny at the same time! Who knew?
Flag
Also, if this show doesn't get renewed, we NEED a FitzSimmons spin off.
Flag
Skye sucks, Ward is a good looking dude but a lousy actor. The'clairvoyant' is annoying and unbelievable not interesting. The show just....sucks big time. Coulson's naivety is boring and irritating. Please don't renew this dud give something else a chance at that timeslot .
Flag
YAY for Ward finally getting a personality , Agent Handsome has turned into Agent Awesome in the space of 3 episodes and he is racking up quite a body count to match his new persona. I can't possibly see anyway the writers can redeem Ward at this point but I do hope they keep him on the show as a reoccurring bad guy. Also is anyone else getting a love triangle vibe between Triplett, Fitz, Simmons certainly some level of tension there. I hope the show continues on this recent uptrend and regains some of its lost viewers and I can't wait when Skye finds out about Ward and how deep the betrayal runs!
Flag
If you see it in terms of black and white, sure.

But just because Ward is one of the bad guys doesn't mean he can't do good, it just means that he won't be one of the team.

(and I'm only talking about team because SHIELD doesn't not exist, this is reallly Coulson's team now)
Flag
To be honest they can NOT make him a good guy again. He killed dozens of people.
There is no amount of good you could do that would atone for those actions.
Flag
I did a happy dance when I saw Patton, then did a squeal of joy over the lanyards. I love Patton!
Flag
Another great episode and Garret is pretty funny. So is Garret really a cyborg? I also hope Patton Oswalt sticks around and Reina will eventually jump ship.
Flag
Garrett trained Ward and this has to be a fact known by Coulson and or May at least. Or it is somewhere into a PC that will reveal it to Skye or Koening before it's too late. The problem is that the base they are in is no longer secret from HYDRA, obviously, so this sucks big time.
I am with the "death to Ward" camp.And I hope he suffers a whole lot.
Flag
well Skye just erased all that, so maybe not...
Flag
maybe not. Unless, there is a secret backup server somewhere ,lol.
Flag
Ward will die (has killed too many good guy to be brought back) and they already has the replacement for him - Tryp or whatshisname. Reina will betray Garrett.
Flag
Flag
I really want Ward back on the team and am prepared to accept any ridiculous scenario. However, I don't think that's going to happen. I foresee a last minute reversal/redemption protecting Skye or Coulson, and then his death. This is not what I want to happen, but given lots of experience watching tv shows and also Whedon shows, I think this is what will happen. No-one on Whedon shows can be happy for more than 15 minutes of screen time. It's a rule. I can't forgive them for what they did to Ballard in Dollhouse. And Tara. And Wesley. And Fred......

I would like a really inventive way to get him back on board, new persona and all. Perhaps the writers will surprise me by coming up with something new, but otherwise I think Brett Dalton will be looking for a new gig next year.

When Skye was shot, at least we know now what Ward meant when May told him he shouldn't blame himself for her being hurt and he answered he didn't. He blamed Garrett!

Not understanding the sudden rift between Fitz and Simmons. That seemed to come out of nowhere to me.

Next week's episode is going to be difficult to deal with. I always liked Ward and Skye together but everything is going to get really awful. How will Coulson deal with another betrayal?

More+
Flag
I agree about the Whedon death curse, but he's got a different box of crayons with the marvel universe, so the writing team can't just off someone maybe needed in another part of their universe....
Flag
I think he will stay and be the show antihero, at least i hope he stays, Brett Dalton is the guy that live tweets during the show, he is the one that went to the talk shows, he and the girl that plays Skye were in the TWS premiers around the world, i think they are to invested in him to just kill him, but i can be wrong, it happens a lot...
Flag
You got to remember that's there more than just the TV show; if you were an actor would you that upset if left AoS for paying gigs in Avengers 2, Captain America 3 etc. ?
Flag
If he leaves the show is because they will kill is character, so no avangers for him, but i get the point.
Flag
Can you shoot so many agents in the head, be a party to massive destruction have a shave, share a talk with Skye and then jump back on the good guys team for love or cause you some triple agent? Nothing against the actor but I'm happy with his replacement and he would make for an excellent recurring villain as he is far more compelling in that role.
Flag
I want the character to stay, not exactly to be one of the good guys, but he doesnt need to be bad forever either, an antihero. After all the shooting and killing in the name of his beloved mentor he can't just come back all of a sudden, but i think they are just developing Ward at this point, and im interested to see what he will become. Coulson is Coulson he's not going anywhere, Fitz/Simmons are pretty much the same character, its the nerdy tech guy/girl, they decided to have two of them and people seem to like that dynamic, Skye is the 084 so i guess shes not going anywhere, at least shes easy to look at. For me if they wanna kill someone, May or Tripplet would be the answer, nothing against the actors but May has only 2 facial expressions and Tripplet is just there to fill the role left by Ward and if i have to chose i will go with the one they presented at the beggining of the show, nothing against either of the actors off course, they can have both, the team needs all the help they can get.
Flag
Surprisingly the past 2 episodes of this show has made start watching it again. When did this show improve from the cheesy craptasic mess that it used to be?
Flag
A couple of weeks ago ;) But well... guess I also like some cheesy craptastic mess once in a while :P Though I defintely agree that the last couple of episodes were surprisingly good.
Flag
It's better but a few things still bother me or wish they had never revealed in the first place like;

Why not take Coulson's flying car as far as possible to the hidden base instead of hiking [the overhead shot showed the terrain was flat and spacious enough]?

How do you locate GPS coordinates with only a ye olde compass and no map?

Why does everyone act like Coulson is a crazy man when the badge is obviously a signal [sure it could of been from Hydra but they act like he is a mad man claiming the McDonald's restaurant is a spaceship].
Flag
I loved all the dialogues between Ward and Garrett this episode., and the confirmation that he indeed has feelings for Skye. I was also shocked by Colonel Talbot's incredibly fake Hitler 'stach - what an abomination! XD
Flag
I don't know about this show, I hope ward stay a baddie there is only one natasha and it would be an easy way out.
I'll check out and wait until season finale
Flag
Personally, I like Hydra-Ward better than I ever liked Agent Handsome: he's layered, complex, deep and sharp.

And I knew Loki was evil, but that didn't stop me from loving him. Same goes to Ward: I don't care which side he's on, I like him better right now and that's not going to stop.
Flag
I always liked Ward but now I love him, he has dot fire and spunk, his personality is showing and it's dark and broken and complex which is very compelling to watch. I've said it before I don't think Wards allegiance is with HYDRA, I believe he's doing this due to loyalty to garret for saving him from something.
Flag
I gotta agree with you there. He's pretty dashing as an evil agent.
Flag
I agree. Ward was my least favorite character since he seemed so dry. But now he is a lot more interesting. It probably doesn't hurt that Brett Dalton seems to really be enjoying himself playing this twist. The character seems to have come alive now.
Flag
And that's how you develop a character!!!! Turning Ward from that boring goodie two-shoes into a man with his own agenda (because he didn't buy that Hydra/Centipede crap not even for a second) was an awesome twist to the plot.
No, he's not an agent of SHIELD as he made (and is still making) clear since he murdered Agent Hand in cold blood. But he's not an agent of Hydra either, actually he doesn't even believe in Hydra. He believes in Garrett tough, no doubt about it. Ward is willing to do whatever it takes to see his mentor's plan succeed, no matter how twisted that plan is, no matter how many people he has to hurt (and/or kill) to do so. That is his level of loyalty to Garrett. He was given a mission, to infiltrate Coulson's team and get information about his miraculous rebirth, and he did it perfectly. I think deep in his core Ward didn't build any bounds with Coulson and the other agents, not even with Skye. But she has feelings for him and she will be the only one to actually see any goodness in him. Maybe that is what will make him doubt of his so far unquestionable loyalty to Garrett.
Talking about John Garrett... Ok, he is the Clairvoyant. I accept it even though I'm not very confortable with that. But I refuse, I refuse to believe he is the mastermind of Hydra! He is a soldier, he absolutely lacks the mind of a true criminal genius. It has to be someone else behind him, if it turns out that he is the mastermind of Hydra it will be the end of this show for me.
Don't get me wrong, I really came to like Garrett in a way. But after all I saw in the Cap movie, how Zola build a new Hydra right under SHIELD's nose, I refuse to believe all of that ended up in the hands of a mere soldier.
I stood corrected in this last episode. Centipede is not an organization, is in fact an obscure Hydra project with an even more obscure purpose. The main questions are: "What is Hydra's endgame with this Centipede project?" and "Who is really behind this project?" One speculation is that could be the person that really ordered Coulson's rebirth, since agent May implied that Fury didn't give the order to bring Coulson back. Maybe that person is the true mastermind of Hydra.
Anyway, now we're going to have the cellist coming back to Coulson's life and I won't be surprised at all if she turns out to be Hydra and tries to kill him. From now on everything that happens will be part of Hydra vs SHIELD, Garrett vs Coulson.
Can't hardly wait to see Hill and Fury coming back as well.
More+
Flag
If you read the well written Wikipedia article on HYDRA, they mention that HYDRA has employed what they refer to as "special agents" which have in turn created their own organizations within the major infrastructure. This is a whole lot like Al-Qaeda in our real world, which is interesting in by itself. So Garrett is such a special agent and Centipede is his baby. I like your take that the cellist might be Hydra Supreme, maybe Madame Hydra or Andrea Strucker. But my money is still on Zola being Hydra Supreme, for the sake of continuity.
Flag
I meant supreme Hydra, sorry :-)
Flag
Well, after that HYDRA joke i doubt that Garrett is the mastermind!
Flag
I'm thinking that Garret is a high-placed commander, but not the head honcho. Remember that he mentioned to Ward about who they did all of this for and why. So there is someone else giving Garrett orders, we're just not sure who it is right now; I'm hoping it's Baron von Strucker, the Hydra leader from the comics.
Flag
Yep, pretty sure you're right. Garrett also answers to a higher authority. The Baron would be a cool choice.
Flag
I just hope Skye figure out Ward (hmm.. the "next week" part hinted something) and puts a bullet in him. I want Sky to toughen up and by the action of killing Ward - become more dark in her character. Now she is just "cute" and efficient.
Flag
Garrett was essentially a cyborg in the comics, so I had no problem with this premise here, it helps explain why he is so comfortable forcing cybernetics onto his bomb-eye victims and on Deathlok.

I dunno if Raina will switch, she has a power but we don't know what it is, but she would be a fool to try to leave now, having seen how expendable everybody else in the Clairvoyant's team has been so far.

Anyway, I'm voting it was a letdown after last week. There were elements that worked, and all of them were Coulson - "tell me something good" "we have internet" "yaaaaay. And boy have I lowered my expectations". Yeah, Coulson had some corny stuff, but he drove the good parts of this episode too.

Some stuff was dumb, if it was a far walk, why not take Lola the flying car? Granted, they would have been killed, but they didn't know that. And Talbot's mustache, holy crap did that look awful.

What set me to call this a letdown though was how stupid Garrett's plans were yet how successful they were, over and over and over. Also, there is still a lack of goals for the heroes beyond mere survival.

It wasn't a terrible SHIELD episode, but it really wasn't as compelling as last week's.
More+
Flag
If they would have taken Lola they would have been shot out of the air. Oswalt told them that the sentry guns are programmed to shoot down fast moving metal objects.
Flag
But they didn't know that.
Flag
Lola? You mean the car in the following picture? The one that has two seats? I have to admit, watching them pile 6 people into lola would be interesting to watch.

Flag
You may not know this, but it's possible to ride on a car without being in one of the seats. And, even if they have to make multiple trips, it's still faster that walking... over rough terrain... with people who aren't used to walking that far even on perfectly flat ground.
Flag
To be honest, I had thought up a list of reasons why taking Lola would be a bad idea, but I had thought pointing out the capacity would be enough. That's my bad I suppose.

Coulson is confident the coordinates he got were from Fury, but he was the only one. Most of the others thought they might be heading into a Hydra ambush (as they stated on the show) . If it was an ambush, it would obviously involve Hydra soldier with light infantry weapons, maybe a few small portable missile launchers.

They are in a heavy wilderness area, with high tree density, which Lola obviously can't fly through, it has to fly over. We don't actually know what the altitude limitations of Lola are, the highest I can remember seeing it fly is when they were after the ex-shield agent in Mexico to find info on Skye where Coulson flew it up a little above one story. But let's assume it can clear the tree line.

You are now flying above tree high in a bright, shiny red convertible toward a possible ambush site . It isn't like these experienced field agents are in a peacetime footing, they are on the run. They have to consider the possible threats.

And even if it isn't an ambush, there will be unknown terrain around the destination site. The place they ended up in (with the gun turret) looked pretty tight with trees, boulders, and the rock wall where the hidden door was. They might not have been able to land Lola there, so they still would have needed to find a clearing to drop a passenger off, before making 5 round trips to get everyone else.

I don't think professional field agents like Coulson, May, and Tripp would approve of the risk / reward ratio of doing that just to save people that look like they are at leastg in good shape a small hike through the woods.
More +
Flag
@docspector: hmm guess the replies can only be nested so deep here. Anyway, you make some good points. I still think you are arguing in favor of a course of action that has them potentially flying across the path of a high caliber automated weapon turret with a tracking system accurate enough to shoot something as small as Coulsons badge out of the air. Perils of the unknown and all.

Really, if they wanted to do some reconnaissance they should have used a drone. The full size air force drones may be to large to easily pack, but even with our real world, non-shield technology we make some pretty small unarmed drones.

Anyway, guess we can leave it at that. I was hoping for a quiet Friday to get some work done, guess I should have known better. Time to get back to the fire!
Flag
"Most of the others thought they might be heading into a Hydra ambush "

All the more reason to be able to bug out in a hurry, rather than having to walk out.

" If it was an ambush, it would obviously involve Hydra soldier with light infantry weapons,"
Sure sucks to be ON FOOT when ambushed.

"You are now flying above tree high in a bright, shiny red convertible toward a possible ambush site ."
You know how you beat an ambush? With mobility and air power.

"And even if it isn't an ambush, there will be unknown terrain around the destination site."
So they walk all the way there, only to discover that they have to go down a 100 foot cliff. Unknown terrain is an argument to take the FASTER transport, so you can go back and pick up whatever you need after you surveil the area.

"They might not have been able to land Lola there, so they still would have needed to find a clearing to drop a passenger off"
The WORST CASE scenario is that the closest clearing you can land the car in is the one the plane is sitting in. In any other case, they're walking over a shorter distance after having been shuttled in. And that's ignoring that the field agents probably can do a free rappel.

Then there's the logic... if there IS a base there, how did the building materials get there? How is the base supplied? Logically, the bet is that there IS a clearing of some kind, near the base.

"I don't think professional field agents like Coulson, May, and Tripp would approve of the risk / reward ratio of doing that "
If not, they're ignorant of 50 years of development in small patrol warfare.
More +
Flag
Maybe they ran out of fuel, provided that thing even works with regular fuel and not some custom stuff.
They are pretty cut-off from all their resources, they couldn't even properly refuel the plane because the Hub was all out.

Or maybe it's not powerful enough to fly with six people on it, and driving it through rough, wooded terrain wouldn't exactly be a good reason.

There's plenty of justifications as to why they didn't/couldn't do it.
Flag
"Maybe they ran out of fuel, provided that thing even works with regular fuel and not some custom stuff."

Why would it be out of fuel? It's not like they use it a regular basis. The plane was low on fuel because they fly around in it all the time. The car just sits there.

"There's plenty of justifications as to why they didn't/couldn't do it."
But the show didn't offer any. Coulson just walks past it like he doesn't even remember that he has access to a FLYING CAR.

(OK, there are two possible reasons for this. A) the writers forgot that there's a flying car on the plane, or B) the budget only allows for so many flying-car special effects shots.)
Flag
...in the freezing cold, with a ticking clock.
Flag
I will give you that Ward wasn't boring this episode, that is one point you are spot-on about. My problem with Ward and Garrett is that the characters were a tad drab because they were so over the top. It seemed illogical, Hydra's infiltration of SHIELD wasn't supposed to change existing people, it was supposed to attract people who would fit its needs - the way Ward and Garrett act, you'd think they were Scooby Doo villains finally pulling off their rubber masks, "old man Withers, the nice guy who runs the movie theater, is actually a mustache-twirling psycho pretending to be a glowing radioactive monster so he can get all the oil rights in town?" Garrett and Ward should be allowed to stretch their wings, but it shouldn't feel like they're double agents, this is the life they've always known, it should be only a slight deviation from the norm.

I didn't catch any of that stuff about Ward believing in Garrett and not Hydra, I guess Ward's scenes still kinda cause me to glaze over after all. Ward certainly would be an awful triple agent at this point, he could have just killed Garrett and stopped that portion of the Hydra events, so the showrunners surely need to avoid that - he's unforgivable now.
More+
Flag
Didn't Coulson say he would put Ward in a cell with Emil Blonsky at the fridge if he would screw up? That could be interesting, maybe a Hulk appearance to put him back in his cel (budget wise impossible? :P)? And anybody else see the irony of the name the fridge while the building is on a beach somewhere? It could also mean more villains of the Marvel universe, although the show is not really about that (a wrong reason why the ratings dropped, because of expectations of Marvel fans). I could live with either outcomes of the Ward issue, it seems there is already a replacement on Coulsons team right now. Patton Oswalt (forever Spence for me) must have been pretty excited te be cast in a comic series, hope he has more guest appearences!
Flag
The fact is that unless Ward was brainwashed, as I theorized last week I can't think of a reason why he would be welcomed back into the fold. He is straight up murdering agents in cold blood. That isn't something that viewers will quickly or easily forgive. I could buy him as a triple agent if he wasn't so willfully and mercilessly ending lives, but that kind of action is never acceptable and even less likely to be forgiven even if your claim it was "for the mission."

After the great explanation of how Ward assessed the team and found the exact steps he needed to take to become ensconced within all of their hearts, the brainwashing thing would ring super hollow. Fact is I think he's gone to the dark side for good. Which I can get behind from a storytelling aspect. You have him as the bad guy that Skye is forever attempting to redeem through the power of love.
Flag
"The fact is that unless Ward was brainwashed, as I theorized last week I can't think of a reason why he would be welcomed back into the fold."

Even if he was brainwashed, sensible people wouldn't welcome him back. You'd never be sure you got rid of all the brainwashing.
Flag

Yes in real life, but in the comic book world, if a character is brainwashed whatever atrocities that they may have committed are instantly forgiven with only one or two people still holding onto the fact that there may exist some residual effects.

Hell, the precedent has already been set in the Marvel universe when you consider that Clint "Hawkeye" Barton was brainwashed for 85% of The Avengers and then happily welcomed back into the fold when Loki's hold over him appeared to been lifted.

Flag
I caught myself realizing that I was actually looking forward to Agents of Shield now. It's not going to be making my favorite shows list anytime soon, I don't think, but it's become quite a decent entertainment. It's more than I would've expected just a little while ago.

Garrett the Clairvoyant still has me rolling my eyes, because the character has never demonstrated this ability for long-term scheming and far-ranged planning that he is supposed to have. Not in my mind. Even with top-level security clearance pulling everything off would've required a deliberately meticulous approach. At least Bill Paxton owns the role, although why he truly chooses to do what he does is anybody's guess. It certainly isn't for his love of Hydra. The metallic body modification was another surprising sight.

Ward is much better off as he is now. At least as a character in the series, finally with a purpose that allows for something other than the wooden behavior (hopefully we're not in for some sappy, sudden redemption story that would ruin everything). Extra points for the stubble.
I'm quite curious about Raina. Her disappointment at the revelations provided was very noticeable, but on the other hand she clearly enjoys having access to unlimited resources. For now. Potential interesting developments ahead.

Patton Oswald's Agent Koenig was likeable, if made a bit too goofy for my taste. Evidently written as a comic relief, which makes me hope that there is another personality layer to come.
Nathan Petrelli was just Nathan Petrelli to me, mustache or not. Adrian Pasdar didn't have much screen time to channel General Talbot. Clearly not a nice guy.

I was really hoping that Coulson & The Team would go ski running across the snowy terrain. Ah well, dodging the trees is always the tricky part.

The biggest disappointment of the episode actually had to do with Clark Gregg's character; rather surprisingly at that. Starting with this sudden, unshakable faith in Director Fury (fresh on the heels of doubting, cursing, rebelling, and being all against the guy after the "Tahiti" revelations), following with the cringe-inducing reactions of his team (even Fitz was all ready to doubt him at the end), and ending with that horrible speech that had me wincing for as long as it lasted. The entire sequence was so badly overplayed. I get that we were supposed to feel and relate to Coulson's desperation, but the whole thing turned into an unwitting self-parody instead. I was actually amazed by how much Clark Gregg had phoned it in. So that's the performance I would like to forget as quickly as possible, as it reminds me of the worst kind of writing possible. An acute reminder that the show still has many rough edges to smoothen out.
More+
Flag
I don't think that Raina is quite to the "This Kool-aid tastes awful!" stage, but I think she's definitely starting to notice there's a bitter aftertaste to it.
Flag
The last part of the title of this article could just as well be "How Ward Just Became A Thousand Times Hotter". What is it about bad boys?? Especially the ones with that "lost boy" quality that make you go, "My love will save him!" *shivers* Ward's always been hot, of course, but now we're talking fire of a thousand suns level here. When he said "I'm everyone's type" I just about melted. I seriously let out a little squeal. Okay, enough of my mad fangirl lust ravings.

Just like Ward, this show became a whole lot more interesting. After seeing Captain America, I was worried about how MAOS would fare but it seems like it's the best thing that could have happened to the show. I should never have doubted Joss Whedon! :p Never again!

Do you guys really think that there can be redemption for Ward? I mean, the way he killed those two guards at the Fridge was really cold-blooded and ruthless. I know we're thinking he's kind of like Angel who's a good bad guy (or a bad good guy?) but did Angel or other similar characters in Joss Whedon shows ever do stuff like that?

Now that we're seeing the usual Joss Whedon tropes, I'm really worried about possible character death/s (e.g. Tara from Buffy, Wash from Firefly). :(
More+
Flag
No, I don't think of him like Angelus. I'm thinking of him like Boyd from Dollhouse - The guy that suddenly we're being told is evil from day 1 even though there was 0 sign of it and it was just pulled out of the writers you know what and it makes no sense what so ever.

Oh well, I suppose anything is better than his previous boring cardboard of a personality.

Angelus and Willow had somewhat decent excuses that they weren't themselves. Literally something possessed them.

Ward has nothing. But on the other hand, it's not like it's new on television. This is ABC right? The network that gives us Once Upon a Time where we are suppose to root for the redemption of a mass murdering evil tyrant - oh wait, I forgot to add "Rapist" to that list as well.
Flag
There have been clues that something was not right with Ward in several of the episodes, and quite a few of us have been getting suspicious of Ward for a while now. Some posters had voiced suspicions several episodes back. I've been suspicious since the Lorelei episode and that suspicion amped up when he killed the fake Clairvoyant. So no, the twist did not come out of nowhere. What was surprising for many of us is Ward's total ruthlessness.
Flag
And all of those come from the recent episodes, nothing from the very begining. That is my point...

Dollhouse all over again.
Flag
Angelus did a lot worse. Even Willow killed at least two guys (pretty bad ones, but still), and tried to kill everyone on the planet.

I don't think of this as a Joss Whedon show. I'm sure he offers advice to his brother once in a while, but he's not writing or running the show.

Your comments about how attracted you are to mass murderers are seriously disturbing.
Flag
How could I be attracted to this?
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36500000/Brett-Dalton-image-brett-dalton-36569209-500-650.jpg
I don't know. There must be something seriously wrong with me.
Flag
You didn't say that you were attracted to him because he's pretty. You said that he was made a thousand times hotter by the fact that he's a traitor and a mass murderer who doesn't mind killing innocents.
Flag
Best exchange of the night:
-Skye, please - tell me something good.
-We have internet.
-Yay. And, boy, have I lowered my expectations.

The more this show goes on, the more I fall in love with Simmons' eyebrows.

I'm still (kind of) shipping Ward and Skye....next episode looks like it will be amazing!

(And just a note: Fury is trustworthy, he's just not trusting.)
Flag
Yep when Simmons was talking to Fitz with that beanie on about how everything's changed, all I could see were the eyebrows and they were magnificent :-)
Flag
Here's a theory. Garrett isn't actually HYDRA. He's a SHIELD guy who prefers to "get things done" rather than "stay within the lines". He sees the HYDRA threat building, but doesn't know who to trust to fight them. So, he starts a side project (Centipede) in his alter ego (the Clairvoyant) so he can build an army loyal to HIM who can fight HYDRA.
Clues:
1. He doesn't seem particularly fond of HYDRA. He mocked the guy doing the HYDRA salute, and when he was asked why he joined, he gave an evasive answer about being on the winning side... but he didn't actually say that side was HYDRA.
2. Ward, his protege, doesn't seem to have move interest in HYDRA, either. Rather, he's personally loyal to Garrett.
3. Garrett doesn't seem to have passed on any of his cool new toys to others in HYDRA. Rather, he kept all the fun stuff himself.
Flag
He isn't a "SHIELD guy" nor anything similar in my opinion. The fact is Garrett seems like the usual power hungry villain who is doing this for his own interests. By joining HYDRA he gained access to resources such as an army, instant power, and self preservation against the threat of HYDRA. It looks as if he finds HYDRA a means to an end rather than a cause he believes in and Ward is simply loyal to Garrett. A true villain doesn't share the fun toys rather they use them to achieve whatever goal they may have. Originally I thought there was a chance Ward was shooting blanks or some form of trick ammo, but it seems as if he's full on villain lackey. I like the new Ward and yet I like him working for Coulson. I guess we'll see what happens.
Flag
"He isn't a "SHIELD guy" nor anything similar"
His superiors (and Coulson) seemed to think differently. He liked the action and adventure that his job gave him. Then HYDRA tried to recruit him. You think he's out for his own interests because that's what he is; I see a possibility that he's out for his own interests because that's the corner he was backed into. We'll see.

"A true villain doesn't share the fun toys rather"
Didn't catch the last episode of "Arrow", did you?
Flag
I have a very strong suspicion that Patton Oswalt, a.k.a. Agent Eric Koenig will reprise this role in The Avengers: Age of Ultron, as well as the rest of this season of S.H.I.E.L.D.. He's a friend of Joss Whedon and has been an outspoken big fan of the Marvel franchise these past few months.

And given the production-value on the Providence-base set, and the way it appears to be built for optimum camera-angles and diversity, I think Providence will be a big set-piece for the remainder of the series.

Thunderbirds' Tracy Island of the Agents of "Nothing" if you will.
Flag
Ward may be more interesting now, but now there's absolutely no reason for him to stick around. he's part of Hydra and he's presumably going to stay part of Hydra, but the show is about SHIELD.. he can be a double agent for one maybe two more episodes then they have to cut him loose or it loses any chance of believability. and having scenes taking place in Hydra would be counter productive to storytelling, we'll know everything that's coming. not to mention we can get rid of this God awful out of nowhere love interest BS they've concocted to try and make us think "aw, but Ward loves Skye so he can't be THAT bad." because no, he is. or he'll go back with SHIELD and Coulson and become a double double agent because he basically said he only joined Hydra because he owes Garrett "everything" which is absolutely the worst excuse in history of history.
Flag
You're assuming facts without evidence.
We don't know if he is part of Hydra or that Garret and himself are using them for their own goals.

Also, you're assumption that "he can't be THAT bad" is correct in real life - but on tv shows? Hardly. Have you not seen how shows like the vampire diaries or OUAT give us mass murdering sadistic raping bastards that we are actually expected to care for their so called redemption? Just because they love someone? Yeah, tv and morality are long mutually exclusive.

I'm also slightly puzzled as to why you think the lvoe intrest is BS since there were signs of it on day 1, where as this entire notion that Ward was evil all along...
Flag
comparing AoS with those shows is beyond ridiculous. the whole point of a SHIELD is that they're the good guys, working for the bad guy would make you a bad guy. if you're not, then why continue working for them unless your job is to infiltrate them. there's plenty of shades of gray in comics, but you can't push it too much because they have to have some sort of heightened boundary with this sort of stuff and going back and forth will make the character lose any credibility then why bother with them at all? he either can stay bad, and give us no reason to keep following the storyline, or he can come back to SHIELD because of Skye, as horribly cheesy as that would be.

I'm not saying the sudden development of the love interest is BS. I'm saying the storyline as a whole is
Flag
Again, you're thinking about logic, consistency and reason.
I'm thinking hollywood usual shenanigans.

Obviously in real life Ward would not only be never exepted into Shield, but he would most likely be executed for treason.
In tv? Not so much.

This sort of crap happens all the time in tv shows. I doubt Shield will be any less cliched - especially since it tossed nothing but dumb cliche since episode 1.

In other words: Yes, it would be incredibly dumb if they'd accept him back but I'm expecting nothing but dumb from this show.
Flag
"he's part of Hydra and he's presumably going to stay part of Hydra,"

But... is he part of HYDRA? See above.
Flag
I really love Skye, I really do! I think she is the best character on the show next to Coulson of course! But that was the stupidest move in history, call from one top secret base with one cell phone if they have the military behind there, oh but it doesn't really matter like they just gave the secret base location to Hydra :(
Flag
They were in the middle of nowhere, so a normal cell phone wouldn't have worked. She's a super hacker, so she may have known that the phone conversation was unhackable. Also, we didn't actually hear her give him the coordinates over the phone. It's possible that they agreed to send them over the internet in an encrypted message.
Flag
While bad Ward is more interesting, I don't particularly like the idea of him turning and going back to Colson's team. At some point Colson has to say "Screw you guys for constantly betraying me!" Honestly, Sky is better without the love-sick puppy dog eyes.

I do like that its more focused on Colson than Sky. He's the best part of the show and I like it when he's the all-knowing, wise-cracking badass. ( though the small emotional breakdown was cool too).
Flag
There's one big mistake they made. They made the effort to take away everyone's badge, even mentioning that it wasn't something they should be flashing around, yet they walk out in coats with the SHIELD logo clearly visible on their chest. Shouldn't someone have thought to take those off first?
Flag
That's not even the biggest mistake. Faced with need to cross seven miles of rough terrain, Coulson walks right past the flying car so he (and a bunch of people not used to walking seven miles on flat ground) can walk there.
Flag
And he's travelling a small mountain trail with unknown obstacles with more people than could easily travel in his convertible. Moreover, convertibles are very cold in snowy weather, even with the top up. So I can understand why he chose to walk instead of ride.
Flag
"small mountain trail with unknown obstacles"
All the more reason to send someone ahead in a flying car, to scout ahead and warn the people trudging along on the ground of obstacles or perhaps even return to the plane to fetch items necessary to overcome those obstacles.

"convertibles are very cold in snowy weather"
Colder than WALKING AROUND OUTSIDE?
Flag
"colder than walking outside?"
Yes, the wind chill caused by the convertible flying through the frigid air would make the cold unbearable.

When I had my 92 Mustang convertible, I discovered that when the temperatures of the air dipped below 70, it wasn't worth it to take the top down.
Flag
a) They are in the middle of nowhere. I don't think they were concerned about some random Canadian loggers seeing their logos.
b) It's mother fucking cold up here in Canada. I think even if a) weren't the case, the only jackets they had were the ones they were supplied, I dont think they were planning to detour to a Mountain Equipment Co-op so they could pick up some new jackets.
Flag
The logos appeared sewn on. They could have removed the logos from the coats. Or at the very least taped over them.
Flag
I think you're still forgetting they were in the middle of butt-fuck nowhere. Why would they stop and go "hey guys, before we head out into this wilderness where absolutely no one lives, lets make sure we take the time to remove the logos from our jackets, m'kay? It's not like we're in a rush or anything, we've got time for this minor and trivial concern".

Flag
They believe they're going to meet Fury, why would they ditch their shared "interest" Plus they're not exactly in vegas, right? Some forgotten nowhere.
Flag
I was just thinking that! I was also thinking that it's hard to sneak around when the logo is on everything that they own.
Flag
Bad Ward = awesome Ward! He has backstory, a reason why he was boring at first, he has allegiances that don't fell forced, he's scruffy, he smiles, he's a hottie!

However, he is also evil. Maybe not at heart, but because of the love, sorry, allegiance to Garrett. We've just seen him kill a whole bunch of people with no mercy, because a psychopath (and it is kinda obvious that Garrett is a psychopath, even through allegiance-goggles) told him to and he had fun with it.

Sorry, but he cannot be playing under that face of "OMG, I'm having so much fun with my snarky murdery self!". I don't see how 1. he's gonna be remorseful, 2. how the team could forgive the murdering of innocent people (as far as even loyal SHIELD agents can be). Stay evil and murdery and scruffy, Ward! Team, do not forgive him!
Flag
I agree. I f Ward finally repents, I don't care. I don't want the team to forgive him!!!
Flag
I was afraid they might pull the triple cross angle; I'm pleased that after this episode I do think he's a real villain. I agree it's more of an allegiance to Garrett vs. Coulson more so than it is to HYDRA or SHIELD. And in the end, I think SHIELD being disbanded will ultimately be what allows Ward back to the team. Rather than turn him over to SHIELD, there will be no one to deal with him other than Coulson's team.

I hope this goes well into next season, however. There's not enough time to introduce this good of a story only to wrap up before season's end.
Flag
Even if he turns his allegiance back to SHIELD... He should go to prison! He killed at least a dozen SHIELD agents, in just a couple of days! That's illegal as far as I'm aware :P
Flag
I'm sure they would sentence him for the killings, but given how shorthanded the agency is with all the traitors, they will probably keep ward on a very tight leash if they were to keep him around. Maybe wear some sort of device to shock him if he went rouge.
As for agent Hand, I think she could still be alive. Now that Ward has killed other agents (throws out the icer theory). i can see if she is alive, then it could've been a robot replacement on that plane.
Flag
Am I the only one that wishes they wouldn't have waited until January to start this show? Instead they started in September and gave us 15+ shows while we watched a series of boring shows while the most powerful force on the planet arrested bad guys.

Now with the release of Captain America and SHIELD is blown up things have finally gotten interesting. I wonder how many viewers they might have if they'd done this instead.
Flag
I didn't mind the slow build as much as the episode breaks, that really stalled the momentum of the show for me. It could be that the network wasn't willing to work with Marvel on moving the premier date; at least I hope that's the reason. A mid-season premier with no breaks would've helped the slow build up to the movie and then the Hydra twist would've had even more impact.
Flag
I even like the slow build for a show like this. In the beginning, everything is just 'normal' and you get to know the team on 'regular' cases-of-the-week. And then, slowly, some more intens story lines start to roll (Coulson's revival, Skye's parents, the Clairvoyent...). And then, after 2/3 of the season, the bomb bursts, and everything comes together. The breaks indeed stalled the momentum of the show, but I did like the slow build.
Flag
In the Netherlands they DID start the show in January, which means they caught up with the American time line pretty fast. They started with a lag of about 4/5 months, and now, just 3/4 months later, they're only 1,5 week behind! Go Europe :P No stupid breaks, just one episode every sunday evening at 21:25. (though I still can't wait 1,5 weeks to catch up with the show, because than I can't discuss the episodes here at tv.com, hehe ;) and because I'm impatient :P).
Flag
Part of the problem with that is, is that Ward's betrayal would have felt pretty weak and meaningless if this happened on episode 5, rather than 15.
Flag
Yeah I agree they had to hold back this storyline for a long time :S
Flag
I made a similar comment on last week's episode, and whereas they definitely could have done a better job with the early episodes, I maintain that had they started the show after Captain America, this new twist would not have as much impact. Any show, really: You have to set up the characters and story before you can disassemble it, which is when things get really interesting.
Flag
Yeah the Thor 2 follow up episode didn't really fell like anything important (in the sense you had to see the movie to follow the show) compared to CA:tws was to these recent eps. They could've held the episodes for later and eliminate the need for so many breaks or repeats.
Flag
Well, I'm now curious if the TAHITI project was HYDRA and if it is, is there something in Coulson to make him turn? Is that why Fury really had May look out for Coulson? Simmons seems shady now, which I totally don't like! I actually would like her and Triplett together. I feel if Fitz and Simmons did go down a relationship path it would ruin how good they are as a team. Everyone is strained and hanging by thread. I think Ward will fracture everyone even more! However I'm going to say that he will turn on Garrett to save Skye (yes, a little lame) but he won't be apart if the team for awhile. Kaitlin mentioned Angel.....every time Angelus came back and did awful things the Gang always made him earn his trust back. May be a similar story for Ward. He definitely a BAMF and if the show works it out right he will stay. I feel like the audience can't trust ANYONE!
Flag
I'm pretty sure with this cameo Patton Oswalt has now had an appearance in every show in 2014. He's everywhere.... which is a good thing.
Flag
Well, not so original if I may express my honest opinion. Making the nicest straight (boring) character into a villain who double crosses everyone who we though he cared for and who works for the bad guys, and not just that, but he is actually the right hand of the HYDRA leader. I have seen this before. But nice for the writers to make S.H.I.E.L.D. finally interesting and exciting. Though I do miss the funny moments of Fritz and Simmons, for me some of the best of this show.
Flag
My reactions to the newest Agents of Shield
Ward breaking Raina out of her prison
Fitz getting electrocuted because he didn’t listen to Simmons
Coulson’s team being threatened by the air force
Triplett joining the team and wearing that black tank top
Raina seeing right through Ward
The team doubting Coulson
May and Coulson arguing
Skye and Fitz still believing in Coulson despite everything
Garrett and Ward finding all of SHIELD’s biggest secrets
Coulson’s speech to the team when he finally breaks down
Patton Oswalt showing up and being super funny
Finding out Skye made the hard drive so only she can open it
Ward and Skye reuniting
Garrett showing Quinn the gravetonium
Skye crying in the preview after Ward seduces her
Waiting a week for the next episode
Flag
That was so freakin funny!!! I laughed my a$# off through the whole thing!!!
Flag
Lol, well done!
Flag
Finally some character development. In this episode all of the characters had to prove their mettle in some way. Melinda May had to earn back Coulson's trust. Fitz and Simmons had to make a choice of who to follow, and Skye is more than just the computer tech, she actually is part of the team now. Will Triplett make the cut as part of the team? I think he has had a good beginning with Simmons vouching for him. Now that Coulson and company are men and women without a S.H.I.E.L.D. country, it will be interesting how they will manage to keep the jet in the air and supplied while on the run from just about everybody. Raise the jolly roger anyone.
Flag
#EPICFAIL

Flag
I think Shield should be safe from the Cancellation Bear after the last few episodes. And Marvel is way too rich for that any ways. Or at least I hope so !
Flag

Flag
Staff
Thank God someone said it. Or gif'd it. Whatever.
Flag
Ok, I want to cry. Can I cry? Because I seriously want to.

I don't know what to think. What the heck is Ward? Because I watched this ep thinking of him as a double agent (still an agent of SHIELD) but he made it hard for me to believe it! But then again, what's all that about his feelings for Skye (for the whole team) that Garret was throwing in his face about? If Garret knows that, it's because Ward has told him, and that makes me think that maybe he truy feels something/cares about them.

And then, as if I wasn't having enough emotional abuse, there we have Fitzsimmons ship sinking. Him sending brutal hints to her was hard to see: first his outburst when Triplett commented on his work (a little tantrum out of jealousy that was kind of funny to see actually), then his serious words "about Coulson" (Jemma had to take the hint that he was really talking about them, because it was sharp like a knife). But then the writers seemed to want our hearts ripped on a million pieces because they gave us the ultimate Fitzsimmons hints:

- Well, at least we still have each other.
- Yeah, good. 'Cause the last thing I want is for things to change.
- Fitz... it's too late for that.

Oh, Jemma... you might have taken Fitz's hints before, but I think you missed that one. He was confessing his feelings (right?? RIGHT??) and you not only didn't get it, but you said the worst words you could have said... my heart, along with Fitz's, froze right there in the snow.
More+
Flag
That was heartbreaking. Even reading about it again today was just as bad! Stupid stupid stupid.
Flag
Another great episode for sure. Vive Wardelus! :D
Flag
I am thinking Hydra started the T.A.H.I.T.I. project, they've been around for 80 years, I am sure one or more of their leaders would have gotten to the point where they would have wanted to bring themselves back from the dead after they passed away, ala Prof Zola. I am guessing there are more than a few guys on ice who were waiting for that "cure". Fury may not been in charge of the project, but once he needed it for Coulson he pushed them to push ahead against the doctor's advise. We know they kept Bucky alive for decades, but once they died they had no way to bring themselves back, until now.
And Raina not trusting Garrett makes a lot of sense now. They aren't allowed to use the word mutant in the show, but that is what she is. And she thought she was helping another mutant to develop more powerful allies. Now she finds out it was a regular human experimenting on mutants. As the show has more and more characters with "special abilities" she will no doubt choose them over agencies that capture or experiment on them. And the look on her face when he said "Welcome to Hydra," showed how unhappy she was with the thought of them as well. I imagine that in their universe Hydra and Nazis go hand in hand as the bad guys from WW2, and only an idiot would be happy to be told they were suddenly in that club without warning.
More+
Flag
Mixed feelings about this episode and a little worried where they'll take it. What worries me is that the TV show seems to have lazy writing (sorry, my opinion) and tries to have too much happen in each episode now. Like I think the takeover of The Fridge could have waited another episode. This is an entire universe, yes, but I wish the Whedon's would put a little bit more of the quirkiness and zing of "The Avengers" (and "Buffy", "Firefly"...) into it.

I'll be disappointed if they -- in any way -- have Ward come back to the good side...and Coulson allows it. Coulson had him arrested for shooting (who they thought was) a criminal. If Agent Hand and others are really dead, no way. Only way Coulson MIGHT accept it if it turns out to be some stupid brainwashing or "Loki-controlling" type of thing where Ward had NO control.

It worries me what they're doing with Coulson's character as well. He became a fan favorite by being honest, loyal, old fashioned, good at his job, decisive, just a plain GOOD guy with strong morals. But here, they've made him too trusting (everybody is able to fool him). Wouldn't finding out everything he has about dying and "Tahiti" make him question things more instead of less?

I understand developing the character, crisis of belief, etc., but I'm hoping they bring the "movie" Coulson back -- the one who believes in right and wrong, and that the ends don't justify the means.
More+
Flag
Wait...how do we know Garrett is a Cyborg? Did I miss that?
Flag
Staff
We saw a flash of metal on his abdomen when he was changing his shirt near the end of the episode. It was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of thing.
Flag
at 1st i though it was some kind of high tech band-aid/ duct tape so that his kidney doesnt fall out

Flag
Can we talk about Agent Turncoat apparently seducing May? The last time I was this mad at a fictional character, it was Joffrey. JOFFREY.
Flag
Staff
Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Flag
LET ME FEEL MY FEELINGS KAITLIN
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members