Friday 8:00 PM on ABC

(WARNING: If you haven't already, I recommend you watch season 1 in its entirety before reading this post. Thar be spoilers!)

Greetings, my fellow Marvel Zombies! (Yes, apparently that's the prominent nickname Marvel fans have used since the comic series of the same name was released in 2006.)

Don't believe me? Here's a cuddly shot of Captain America as proof:

(So cuddly!)

As many of you hopefully/doubtfully know, I've been conspicuously absent from TV.com over the summer. Unfortunately, a close member of my family went through some very serious health issues, and my free time was mostly spent in various hospital rooms. Needless to say, writing on TV.com wasn't a priority, and even if I did, my heart just would not have been in it. But I am overwhelmingly happy to report that those health issues were recently resolved, and I soon found myself thinking about TV.com again.

There was just one question: What do I write about?

Well, it didn't take me long to settle on MAoS. It has become one of my favourite shows, I'm a self-professed FitzSimmons Fanatic (MUUUUUUUCH more on that later), and I just bought the Blu-ray set:

But the reason we're all here is to... crazily speculate on the condition of Fitz ... freakout ... talk about the upcoming sophomore season of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (premiering on Tuesday, Sept. 23 at 9 p.m. ET on ABC).

Suffice it to say, I'm super excited about the new season, guys!

Now for your reading pleasure, I have formulated an itinerary detailing the topics I will be covering in this MAoS Primer. If for no other reason than to bust out some assorted font colours:

1. Promo/Speculation Section (wild speculation will abound!).
2. Synopsis Section (wild synopses will doubly abound!).
3. Newbies Section (brief bios on the new characters joining the show in season 2).
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Section (touching upon Marvel's overarching master plan).
5. FitzSimmons Section (saving the best for last).

PROMO/SPECULATION SECTION

So, without further adieu, let's kick this party off in style with a couple of promo videos that are maddeningly vague and agonizingly ambiguous (damn you, ambiguity!).

First off we have a Season 2 Promo titled "Saving Lives":

Next up is a similar yet slightly different (there's an AC/DC song thrown in there I'm sure Tony Stark would approve of) video that is described as a "New Season 2 Preview":

Alright, alright, alright! My first impressions of the limited new footage we saw are:

• Skye is gorgeous no matter how dark and broody they're trying to make her look.
  • They're trying to make Skye look dark and broody (probably should have led with that one).
  • It appears Skye is now a full-fledged field agent.
  • Apparently my crush on Skye has not abated over time.
  • May is STILL as badass as ever.
  • Ward may look even sexier wearing a burlap sack while sporting a more cultivated captivity beard (or so female Youtube commenters tell me).
  • Coulson can even do a voiceover like a champ.
  • Rewatch the "Saving Lives" Promo again, specifically the 16-17 second mark. Is that new FitzSimmons footage? If it is, I don't see any robotic appendages, and I don't know whether to be relieved or disappointed.

They didn't give us much, but if there's anything us TV.com-ers are good at, it's wildly speculating about our favourite shows with little or no information to back it up.

Well, that, and writing funny captions on random pictures:

Okay, so before I move onto the Synopsis Section, there's one more thing we can wildly speculate on: The new season 2 cast photo! Here it is:

So what do we see? I see some random dudes up top that I don't recognize. I see Ward shoved off to the side like the Hydra traitor he is. I see Coulson in the centre of it all with his trademark casual awesomeness. But I also see THIS:

May is definitely giving Skye a suspicious eyeful, but those could just as easily be concerned laser eyes. But the real story/tragedy is the heartbreaking distance between FitzSimmons (anyone with an amalgamated name should be together, dammit!), and the longing gaze Fitz is throwing Simmons's way. The colour I chose for his laser eyes is Ocean Blue, by the way (no, I'm still not over it!).

Sorry, sorry, I know this isn't the FitzSimmons Section. My final thoughts I've gleaned from these promos is that everything feels a little darker. Don't get me wrong, dark and gritty can be great, but it's not exactly what the Marvel brand is known for. Is it too much to ask for a clever quip from Coulson and a monkey comment from Fitz?

*Sigh*

Moving on!

SYNOPSIS SECTION

I've been trawling the internet for any information about the upcoming season, and while Marvel is a master of misdirection and secrecy, I've collected for you here every spoiler-ish, juicy detail they don't want you to know…

But, uh, I guess I should mention for legal reasons everything I found was from ABC press releases and Marvel websites. It's still juicy stuff, though!

Here's how ABC describes the September 23 premiere "Shadows":

"Coulson and his team are now wanted fugitives with limited resources–but that’s not stopping them from keeping the world safe from powerful and unseen threats everywhere. However, with new members they hardly know, will S.H.I.E.L.D. ever be trusted again?"

Oooooooo! If you ask me, that's just the right amount of vagueness and ambiguity, but if you want something slightly more comprehensive, ABC and IBT have provided a few more pertinent details for us starved fans:

Coulson’s Being Watched:

"Melinda May is still watching Coulson, even though he now knows about Project T.A.H.I.T.I. and Nick Fury has gone off the grid. May still doesn’t know how Coulson is going to react to the GH.325 serum, and it looks like the side effects are finally coming. Last season ended with Coulson making some strange drawings in the middle of the night and it looks like May is going to be concerned about the etchings. It seems like Coulson is writing in an alien language, but it isn’t clear if Coulson even knows what it means."

Lance Hunter Joins The Team:

"Lance Hunter will be introduced as a new S.H.I.E.L.D. agent that Coulson has added to the team. Because Coulson is rebuilding the organization, Hunter didn’t rise through training the way most agents do. His story could mimic Skye’s unconventional training but it sounds like Hunter is a little less trustworthy. He is described as “a dashing mercenary sharp shooter with a quick wit.” Some of that sharp could be helpful to Coulson, but it could also mean that Hydra is still trying to infiltrate the organization. Don’t expect to discover Hunter’s true motives very soon, though. Actor Nick Blood was added as a series regular, so it looks like this storyline will carry through most of Season 2."

Skye’s Parents:

"Skye also has GH.325 in her system, and she could start displaying Coulson's symptoms soon. However, it sounds like she is more concerned about her mysterious parents. Kyle MacLachlan was confirmed as Skye’s father, so most fans knew that Skye’s parents would be explored. The young agent is going to still struggle with her identity as a 0-8-4, “an object of unknown origin.” Skye doesn’t know what her parents are, but she is wondering if there is something different about her because of them. If her parents are evil, could that mean that there are dark forces inside her?"

See?! I told you it was juicy (or should I say GH.325-y?). We got some information on a couple of new characters, we know HYDRA is far from destroyed, we have confirmation that the blue alien's healing serum is definitely not without its side-effects, and they're hinting there might be a hidden darkness within Skye.

All sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, basically.

poll

NEWBIES SECTION

Now it's time for a rundown on the new characters that will be joiningMAoS, but I'm going to start this section with a ComicCon video of Agent Koenig and… Agent Koenig, stressing the importance of security lanyards ($19 on eBay! Uh... if you're into lanyards, or whatever), and throwing down a pretty special name drop of the newbie I'm most excited to see:

Mockingbird, baby! Let's get to it.

Barbara "Bobbi" Morse, a.k.a. Mockingbird:

Who's playing her?

Adrianne Palicki, known for her work in "Friday Night Lights" and "G.I. Joe: Retaliation".

What's her deal?

She's another sexy spy type (a la Black Widow of The Avengers), but seeing as she also possesses a PhD in biology (in the comics, anyway), she's got plenty of brains to go along with her beauty. From what I've read online, Bobbi will be taken on (at some point this season) as Coulson searches for agents who have not been compromised, and those that he can trust. Her history as a double-agent of sorts attempting to root out corruption within S.H.I.E.L.D. will no doubt come into play, although it remains to be seen how this will be incorporated.

Co-creators of MAoS, Maurissa Tancharoen and Jed Whedon had this to say about the new addition to the team and how S.H.I.E.L.D. is changing in the wake of HYDRA's uprising:

Tancharoen: "Coulson is operating with limited resources, so he has to bring people into the fold. So it may feel like we're expanding a lot, but really, the people that you will see are basically the people we have at our disposal."

Whedon: "We used to be a ragtag group in a huge machine that was churning. Then, they were agents who had support. Now, that we have less, we sort of see all of them. So while our cast is getting bigger, it's actually because S.H.I.E.L.D. is getting smaller."

Any super powers/abilities?

You bet your ass!

• Genius biologist.
  • Superbly trained athlete, gymnast, unarmed combatant and spy.
  • Greatly enhanced physical strength and agility (unconfirmed if this particular power of the comics will be employed for the show).
  • Expert with a battle-stave weapon (a pair of steel batons that can be joined and used as a staff).

Isabelle "Izzy" Hartley:

Who's playing her?

The incomparable Lucy Lawless, she of "Xena: Warrior Princess" fame, and "Battlestar Galactica" glory. Legends say it was her idea to patch over any fantasy genre plot hole by simply claiming "a wizard did it".

What's her deal?

There hasn't been much information released on her character, but from what I've read she will play a seasoned S.H.I.E.L.D. veteran, helping to rebuild the organization. She is tough and is known to brandish a knife. And as far as I can tell, Hartley has not appeared in the Marvel comics as her name is not in the Marvel comics database.

Maurissa Tancharoen said in a press release that "Agent Isabelle Hartley shares a history with Coulson, though it’s more like mutual respect than anything sexual".

I hear she's good with a knife, but seeing as she isn't a character from the comics, not really. But c'mon, this is freakin' Xena we're tailing about here, you've got to figure they're going to make her a total badass.

Lance Hunter:

Who's playing him?

UK actor Nick Blood (Trollied, Him & Her, The Bletchley Circle), who just so happens to have a real name that is even more awesomely cliche than the comics character he will be portraying. I can almost picture the fake comic now… (Nick Blood: Red Rising - Let there be Blood!)

What's his deal?

Lance Hunter is described as a "ruthless mercenary", and his comic character is best known for being the director of S.T.R.I.K.E., a British intelligence agency that worked with Captain America and Captain Britain to defeat Red Skull.

Now that S.H.I.E.L.D. has fallen, Coulson has to look outside of the organization for help, and make uneasy alliances with people like Lance Hunter,” states co-creator Maurissa Tancharoen. “Hunter is a mercenary, in it for the money, not the cause. Whether his allegiance is to anyone but himself is still in question.”

Yup!

• Years of Naval training.
  • Expert intelligence agent.
  • Highly trained in unarmed combat and the use of various firearms.
  • Expert in demolition/bomb-disposal.

Alphonso "Mack" Mackenzie:

Who's playing him?

Henry Simmons, known for his roles as Det. Baldwin Jones in "NYPD Blue" and Isaac Wright in "Shark".

What's his deal?

Again, there's not much on him, but we do know that "Mack" is a mechanic in his 30's, who aligns himself with S.H.I.E.L.D., and will appear as a recurring character in the upcoming season. His comics bio states he was born in Austin, Texas, and that he was once the CIA liaison to S.H.I.E.L.D..

Not per se, but a mechanic will come in handy when The Bus inevitably gets shot up and blown to shit again.

Lesser Bad - Carl "Crusher" Creel, a.k.a. The Absorbing Man:

Who's playing him?

Brian Patrick Wade, and I'll let this photo tell you what else he's been on:

What's his deal?

I've got next to nada on the TV character, only this line from the Marvel website: "With his ability to absorb the properties of anything he touches, Creel will put Coulson and his team through their paces when their second season kicks off... but you'll have to wait until then to see how their battle turns out!"

Sounds in"creel"able! … That may be my worst pun yet.

The character of Absorbing Man is most commonly utilized as a Hulk villain, with Ang Lee‘s 2003 film grafting his matter-shifting abilities onto Nick Nolte’s character, all in spite of the villain first appearing in Thor comics with an origin tied to Loki. That said, it’s difficult to say if either superhero ends up directly, or indirectly incorporated into the character’s MAoS appearance.

Indubitably!

• Ability to mimic any form of matter or energy via physical contact. (I know it's only one power, but it's pretty freakin' sweet!)

BIG BAD - Daniel Whitehall, a.k.a. Kraken:

Who's playing him?

Reed Diamond. The dude is a seasoned actor and has been all over the map with stints on "Judging Amy", "24", "Bones" and "Franklin & Bash", but he was also notably on Joss Whedon's "Dollhouse".

What's his deal?

All I could learn about his TV character is pretty much in the title I wrote for him. He's gonna be this seasons BIG BAD (it's impossible to write BIG BAD in lower case letters), his name is Daniel Whitehall, his alias is the Kraken (release the Kraken!), oh, and he's HYDRA - Dun-Dun-Duuuun!

But if you want to know more, here's his character bio from the Marvel comics database:

"Daniel Whitehall, alias the Kraken is a legendary HYDRA agent, who existence had been unverifiable, until recently. Any S.H.I.E.L.D. agents that tried to find documented proof all disappeared. The Kraken preferred to work behind the scenes, seeing it as his mission to help people become what they are meant to be, usually with dangerous results. For decades he was responsible for developing HYDRA’s best assets, training their best talent. This involved a lot of human trafficking, theft and murder. He was the head of the school that trained orphaned girls,, including a young Viper into human weapons. The current Kraken is actually the second Kraken, having stolen the original’s identity by taking his equipment and reading his journals."

All or none of that could be included in the show, but he sounds like a despicable asshole to me!

Kinda! A Marvel website attributed him with these abilities:

• Attractive Male (the most devastating super power of all, am I right, ladies?).
  • Genius Intellect (mmmm-hmmm).
  • Leadership (these powers are pretty weak).
  • Power Suit (now that's what I'm talking about!).

But it should be said it's unclear if his Power Suit/Helmet will factor into the TV characters powers/assets.

Newbie Section - Final Thoughts:

It seems a lot of comics characters have cool nicknames in quotations. Like if I had one it would probably be: Fringe "Fringe-y" Fanatic… What? No good?

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY SECTION

(WARNING #2: If you haven't already, I HIGHLY recommend you watch this movie before reading this section. Seriously, stop reading right now and go watch it. It is THAT good. But if you don't have the time or inclination, and you don't want to be spoiled, skip the section. Just know you'll be robbing yourself of seeing the best movie of the year on the big screen. That's right, I said the BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR!)

Now we come to the section that I've been DYING to write about, GotG! (Take THAT Game of Thrones acronym!) But before I launch into the far reaching ramifications this movie has had on the Marvel Cinematic Universe and how it might affect Team Coulson, here's a couple "Awesome Mixtape #1" songs for your listening pleasure:

(Feel free to listen to either one of them while reading this section)

AND/OR:

Okay, this may come as a surprise to many of you, but I'm a huge Marvel nerd (GASP!). I know, I know, I hide it well. I own all the movies (even Thor 1&2), I just bought the MAoS Blu-ray set, and I even have one of these bad boys:

So, yeah, I'm a total Marvel nerd. Which is why when I say "Guardians of the Galaxy" is the best movie Marvel had made to date, you can take it to the bank, put it into a bond or stock, and get a healthy return on your investment. I had an absolutely miserable summer, but when my brother and I went to see this movie (3 TIMES!), we forgot about all the bullshit, and were immersed in the greatest space opera since "Star Wars".

It was exciting, heartfelt, funny, and had one of the best soundtracks for a movie I've ever heard. It had it all. Not to mention an amazing cast of characters:

QUOTE: "I am Groot!"

QUOTE: "We're the fricking Guardians of the Galaxy!"

QUOTE:

Rocket: "[about Drax] Metaphors go over his head."
Drax the Destroyer: "NOTHING goes over my head!... My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it!"

QUOTE: "We're just like Kevin Bacon."

AND...

Man, I love this movie!

But I bet you're wondering what GotG has to do with Team Coulson and the new season:

Well, not likely. I've read that the Guardians are going to remain detached from earth as they zip around the galaxy doing there thing (at least until the sequel comes out in 2017, anyway). But that doesn't mean for a second that the elements introduced in GotG won't come into play.

Case in point, here's a shot of one of my favourite Marvel baddies, Ronan the Accuser:

Notice the blue pigmentation? What other alien connected to MAoS, pray tell, have we seen with blue skin? That's right, you guessed it, the mysterious blue alien from season 1!

We know this (now not so) mysterious blue alien was a part of the creation of GH.325, the serum that helped save Skye and Coulson. And we know the Kree are an alien race that played a huge role in "Guardians of the Galaxy". So it would be very easy to have audiences introduced to the species through that movie, and then have the Kree play an equally big role in Season 2 as Coulson (and Skye?) gets more and more affected by the serum.

'Cause you just know these scribblings can't be good:

The other enlightening aspect of "Guardians of the Galaxy" was a formal introduction of the Infinity Stones. They were hinted at before in previous Marvel movies, but since they were integral to the plot of GotG, they've been brought to the forefront of the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) in a big way.

The Marvel Wiki website has this to say about the Infinity Stones:

"The Infinity Stones are six immensely powerful objects tied to different aspects of the universe. Before the universe, there were six singularities. When the universe came into existence, the remnants of these singularities were formed into objects of concentrated power--the Infinity Stones. Each of the stones possesses unique capabilities that have been enhanced and altered by various alien civilizations through the millennia… Only beings of immense power can wield the stones."

Sounds pretty cool, right? So I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised that these stones have been the main topic of conversation amongst us Marvel nerds for the past few months. What we know for sure is that three stones have been confirmed:

THE TESSERACT:

Description:

"The Tesseract is named for its cube-like appearance, and capable of providing instant access to any location throughout the universe if used correctly, moving any object anywhere through reality. The unique element that composes the Tesseract has also been used to create advanced weaponry by races like the humans and the Chitauri. This stone played an important role in humanity's development during the dawn of the superhero age, attracting the attention of forces such as Red Skull and Thanos, both of whom sought to use the Tesseract's power for their own sinister intents."

Aliases:

- Cosmic Cube.
- Hypercube.
- The Cube.
- Space Stone.

Appeared In:

- Captain America: The First Avenger.
- Iron Man 2.
- Thor.
- The Avengers.

- In Asgardian custody.

THE AETHER:

Description:

"The Aether appears as a dark, red, viscous liquid that can float in the air. The Aether acts like a symbiotic force capable of being absorbed into the body of a living host, granting that person immense strength, power, and seemingly unlimited capabilities. Only two people, Jane Foster and Malekith, are known to have been hosts for the Aether, but circumstances prevented the full extent of the Aether's potential from being explored."

Appeared In:

- Thor 2: The Dark World.

- Currently in the Collector's (smashed up) Museum.

THE ORB:

Description:

"The Orb is the protective housing of an Infinity Stone closely resembling a purple gem. The gem is an incredible power source, which, when used at full potential, has enough power to obliterate an entire planet."

Appeared In:

- Guardians of the Galaxy

- The Guardians handed the Orb over to the Nova Corps on Xandar for safe keeping.

Fans have speculated that Loki's Chitauri Sceptre gifted to him by Thanos could be the 4th:

Sorry! Wrong photo! Here we go:

Due to the appearence of Thanos as well as the scepter's ability to control the minds of others, us rabid fans are wondering if the blue crystal on the chitauri scepter is the Mind Stone, but it hasn't been confirmed.

And since Marvel hasn't kept it a secret that the Infinity Gauntlet is in Odin's chambers:

I think Marvel diehards can see where this is going:

FITZSIMMONS SECTION

(WARNING #3: This section *IS* for the faint of heart… Well, faint-ish. It's for the people who believe in happy endings and true love. It's for the sentimentalists, romantics and dreamers. It's for you, dear reader, who just wants to see these two crazy kids fall in love, get married, and have a bunch of super genius kids that will lead us all into the new world. And finally, it's for all the shippers out there, especially a certain support group that I haven't lent much support to lately. If you are none of these things, then I suggest you don't read on. Things might get too emotional for you.)

Anyone else have these images burning a hole in their brain over the summer:

I don't know about you, but I can't seem to get them out of my head. That's one of the reasons I've been so desperate to get this new season started, the suspense of not exactly knowing Fitz's condition has been KILLING me!

And teaser posters like these aren't helping:

What will he become?! What the hell does that even mean?! It's like that maddening line at the end of season 1: "He may never be the same again."

Here's an ABC press release that upsets me even more:

"We already know that there is a possible love triangle, but Fitzsimmons might not have a professional relationship anymore. Fitz’s coma will damage his cognitive functions and it isn’t clear if he’ll ever recover. Without full control of his brain, he might not even be able to work with S.H.I.E.L.D. as an engineer. For Simmons, this is going to be a painful adjustment. The two function as a duo and it’s going to be hard for the biochemist to work without her partner."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

(Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.)

Okay, I know that didn't sound good, but Jeff Bell (an executive producer on the show), had this to say about the troubling situation:

"Don’t expect to know Fitz’s condition right away. We plan to keep Fitz’s condition under wraps just long enough that you think, ‘Oh my God, really? Aren’t they going to…?!'

They are straight-up fucking with our emotions, guys! They know exactly what they're doing. It's genius because it's obviously working, but I still hate them for it. I don't even know what to think anymore.

*BUT*

There is also some uplifting and hopeful news to report, and after all that doom and gloom, do we ever need it. Elizabeth Henstridge (Jemma Simmons) was on a ComicCon Marvel panel and gave a few interviews over the summer, and she shared her thoughts on our dear FitzSimmons:

"I think if [Simmons had a clue about Fitz’s feelings], she didn’t recognize it because she didn’t feel that way about him, so I think she just assumed that’s how Fitz felt as well.

I know, I know, but there's more:

"Let's just say, however she felt in the past now it doesn't matter because the stakes have changed and they're a lot higher for FitzSimmons' relationship. He is, and always will be, her main priority."

Did you read that?

He is, and always will be, her main priority!

Isn't that like a cooling balm on a festering burn? That simple and short sentence means so very much. It means Fitz won't be waking up only to find Simmons romantically involved with Tripp. It means that she's never going to give up on him. And it means I might not go crazy thinking about all the horrible possibilities.

He is, and always will be, her main priority.

(
That sentence is my new "there's no place like home".)

Now let's wrap up this section with a couple adorable FitzSimmons videos:

Remember when Fitz said Simmons was "technically" smarter? And now we learn Simmons said basically the same thing about Fitz. Too much awesome.

*Sniff*

They're the best.

Well, that's all she wrote ladies and gents! I'll look for you in the MAoS comments section! ...

Oh, alright, ONE more video:

See ya!
116 Comments
Comments (112)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sep 20, 2014
Now this is what I call a freaking article!!! Wow. I don't even watch the show and I was blown away!
Flag
Sep 21, 2014
Thank you! Comments like these make my day.
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
First of all, welcome back FF! And I'm happy about those good news about your family. I haven't had much free time to be around here either, so it feels like the first day of school after summer holidays, when you get back to class, see the same old friends and share with them all the adventures and stories you had throught the summer. It's good to be back, it's good to see all of you around here and talk to you all again :)

PROMO/SPECULATION SECTION

I agree with your comments on this new Skye, May's and Coulson's badassness and Ward's beard.

The promotional cast photo deserves a detailed comment on my side, though. WHY I WAS GIVING WITH EMOTIONS? Because it's with things like this when this aspect of being a human being hurts, especially when one analyze and overthink every little detail as I do. I agree on May giving Skye an “assessing my protégée” look rather than her i'm-really-pissed-off look but Fitzsimmons? What the heck? It really hurts. Fitz's the only one sat, seemingly calm -as he usually is under normal circumstances- and looking at Simmons...*falls to the floor and starts to roll and sob* And she's halfway up -presumably getting up rather than down as she may be dealing with higher-ranking agents in order to become an stronger person and/or find all the truth behind Skye/Coulson's actions (or S.H.I.E.L.D.'s lies in general) this second Season. And least but not least, it's remarkable how Skye's looking at the opposite way Ward's looking at, as in triying not to see him at all, triying to deny his presence there.

SYNOPSIS SECTION + GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY SECTION

I'm looking forward to see the new baddies that are coming, but also regular S.H.I.E.L.D. missions (I mean, I hope not everything spins around Hydra and Ward and big baddies). I'm excited to know how GotG (the Kree aspect and the Infinity Stones thing, specifically) and Agent Carter affect our team's world too.

NEWBIES SECTION

Same here. I'm very excited to meet the new good guys and see them helping our team, especially Mockingbird.

FITZSIMMONS SECTION

Ok, I'm going to go through it point by point, because your review of the new stuff doesn't deserve less than that.

1) Yes, we're all worried about what's is going to happen with Fitz this season, because the fact he had to deal with the last few episodes will affect him physically, but also personally and not only him, but all of them. That's why Fitz's not the only one that got the “What will he become” promotional slogan, but also Jemma and Skye. Because IMO Ward's betrayal affected (and will keep on affecting their actions, their personalities) the three of them the most.

2) About a potential love triangle (thing that I'd kind of hate, honestly, because right know it'd a little bit disrespectful towards Fitz due to his new physically condition and the reason he got there in the first place, imo), Elizabeth said on an interview that “He [Triplett] is still around. I guess we'll just see. It hasn't necessarily happened yet, but there's a potential that's been created and is always there. If you like someone, it's hard to stop liking someone. There's chemistry there, and Fitz is obviously aware of that chemistry. That's something that I think will be teased throughout -- or not, I don't know. […] If they're working through their friendship, then that leaves gaps for other people to potentially get close to each of them" (Source: http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/agents_of_shield_season_2_fitzsimmons_relationship_love_elizabeth_henstridge_interview-2014-09)

Also, she said something that we've talked about already (sooo many times, in fact xD): “FitzSimmons always identified as a duo. They finished each other's sentences, they finished each other's thoughts, they completed each others worlds, and now that that dynamic has shifted. It doesn't necessarily mean it's broken but there's repair work that needs to be done. Then all of the sudden they have to figure out who they are as individuals, which they've never had to do before.” (Same source)

3) “Don’t expect to know Fitz’s condition right away. We plan to keep Fitz’s condition under wraps just long enough that you think, ‘Oh my God, really? Aren’t they going to…?!”

Well, a few weeks ago I read somewhere that we're going to see Fitz awake on 2x02 and earlier this morning I saw the promotional photos of the first two episodes and there was Fitz indeed. What I found odd what how familiar Jemma's clothes were and then I remembered: she was wearing the same outfit that she wore on F.Z.Z.T. She even has the same hairdo: a ponytail. One would think: she may be wearing the same outfit because of the limited quantity of clothes they've at the B.U.S., but it's a tv show after all, they could have an infinite amount of clothes to wear and we wouldn't notice it they wear the same T-shirt twice, so why make Jemma wearing the exactly same outfit? And, the most relevant thing, the hairdo: why is her hair as long as before? Promotional photos show us she's got her hair cut, so it doesn't make sense, it has to mean something! So I searched for answers on the internet and, as always, Tumblr had them: there's a theory about that scene from the promotional photos being all a Fitz's dream or hallucination (e.g. http://fitz-loves-simmons.tumblr.com/post/97967165526/why-i-think-simmons-is-an-a-hallucination-theory)

I'd like to believe that it's Fitz dreaming about Simmons while he's in a coma, but it can't be possible because even in the case of Fitz knowing Mack before the 'incident', he'd have no reasons to place him in that dream too.

4) “He is, and always will be, her main priority.” When I read that when the interview caem out, all my Fitzsimmons's feelings awoke again -because I had them pushed deep down in my heart not to feel the pain The Scene caused me. It really gave me new hopes for them. I certainly don't want the writers to hurry things up with them, but obviously Elizabeth saying that it's like gas to the engine of my shipper brain.

5) I watched that deleted scene earlier this morning too -yes, I was on an AOS hype to get ready for the upcoming season- and it blew my mind. I (we) always have been wondering about FitzSimmons's Academy days and of course whether they had had BF/GF back then or not. Thank goodness we have Skye to ask them for it xD Due to their hardworkness and nerdy behaviour, my mind had come to the conclusion that either they didn't have time or the interest for romance, so when I heard Jemma confirming she had indeed action in her love life, I'm not going to lie to you, it kind of shocked me. I guess I pictured them so unconsciously devoted to their work together, their partnership, so confortable with their dinamic as a duo of just friends, that thinking of them having lifes (love life!) besides that inner nucleus, gets me a little disappointed. I thought of their relationship (since the very beginning of it) as a bunker: noone gets out, noone comes in. I guess I was wrong... although I'm willing to confront that thought with actual evidence, with scenes of them at the Academy (I need some at any price, no matter what).

Lastly, I want to share with you this promotional image that Clark Gregg posted on his Facebook three days ago:

Here's a closer caption that I proceed to comment:

From left to right we have: Triplett (or Mack?), Fitz looking up, Skye reaching for her gun, May holding her own gun, Simmons looking down and Ward facing away and with a breach between him and the others. As always, we can see the symmetry between FitzSimmons: they both are holding their hands in front of them, as in a nervous way. Fitz may be facing up because he will not deny the past, the fact, he'll rise proudly his head and look right at the truth's eyes: one of his best friends has betrayed them, he has confessed the woman he loves his feelings for her and she doesn't feel the same way, he might not be the same skillful engineer he was. Simmons may be facing down because she might get a little sad, a little cagey regarding S.H.I.E.L.D., regarding new people, maybe even familiar people -because she knew Ward and yet he bretrayed them. Skye reaching for her gun may be symbolizing her training to be a field agent, just like May. Before she get to hold firmly her gun -as May does-, she has to learn to sheathe it. Ward's position and body language reflect how he has been left aside from the others, almost emotionally isolated, and how he might be looking forward to ask for redemption and forgiveness (he has his head turn to them, after all).

More+
Flag
Sep 21, 2014
Thank you! I've had a tough summer and your warm welcome means a lot to me. I'm thrilled your return to TV.com has coincided with mine, as your opinions and insights always seem to connect with me.

And what a comment! You've really added to this post with all your own quotes and research. I wish I could add it to my post as an addendum! Great stuff.

PROMO/SPECULATION SECTION:

- Haha! I love that you analyze every little detail because that's exactly what I do, too! Your body language interpretation of Skye looking away, ignoring Ward is spot on. But, I, like you, really had a hard time seeing the distance between Fitz and Simmons… My god, I didn't even amalgamate their name. My subconscious is speaking! (That longing look in Fitz's eyes is like a dagger in my heart!) Again, I find it awesome you noticed the little things like Fitz being the only one sitting and Simmons taking one step up. These cast photos are designed to be rife with symbolism and I think you nailed it.

SYNOPSIS SECTION + GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY SECTION:

- I actually considered doing a "Captain America/Agent Carter/HYDRA" section, and a "Avengers/Ant-Man/Dr. Strange" section… AND a "New Marvel TV shows" section, but I figured it was long enough, you know?

NEWBIES SECTION:

- Mockingbird is my most anticipated newbie. She has the ability to introduce new elements of the Marvel universe and is badass enough that she could make a jump to the movies.

(P.S. I'm seriously hoping all of Team Coulson makes an appearance in The Avengers 2. Can you imagine FitzSimmons and Tony Stark inventing tech and operating holotables together? It would be epic!)

FITZSIMMONS SECTION:

"Ok, I'm going to go through it point by point, because your review of the new stuff doesn't deserve less than that."

Your reply also deserves nothing less.

1) I didn't know every character had a similar "What will he/she become?" teaser poster. That abates my anger somewhat. I'm getting a little tired of all this "will Fitz/Skye turn dark?" speculation.

edshrinker and I had a similar conversation and this is what I wrote:

"I just feel like the show has already played that (evil/traitor) card with Ward. All this talk about Skye and Fitz going dark seems too obvious. As I recall there weren't many who thought Ward was HYDRA and a mass murderer to boot. I definitely see Fitz going through a tough time, but can't a guy deal with some bullshit and not turn evil?"

2) I'm not gonna lie, if Simmons started seeing Tripp (or anyone else for that matter) before she and Fitz had a chance to work through their unresolved feelings, I would lose a ton of respect for her. I might even go so far as to bust out the "B" word. But I just know Simmons is far too kind for anything like that to happen. I'm not saying she CAN'T be with anyone but Fitz (even though she'd be a fool not to be with a man that is willing to die for her, that completes her, and is her soulmate), but there's a lot that would have to happen for me to be even remotely cool with it (and even then it would break my heart). But I do agree they need to find themselves as individuals before they can be happy together.

3) Oh! I read Ed's comment first and he had a link to those pictures, too. I gave my two cents and it's only a few comments down if you want to take a look.

4) I can't even describe to you how soothing that sentence was for me. I've been sick all summer about the ambiguity of Fitz's condition and his future with Simmons, but there isn't much ambiguity in "He is, and always will be, her main priority." I think it's amazing Elizabeth Henstridge even got away with saying that. It might not seem like much, but it certainly meant the world to my shipper brain.

(P.S. Did you know FitzSimmons is loosely based off the real life married couple of Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, both co-creators of MAoS? They've been writing partners for years, and Fitz and Simmons both feel like such fully realized human beings, it makes a lot of sense. Also, seeing as they've been happily together for a decade, I hope that foreshadows FitzSimmons's future.)

5) I actually wasn't very surprised Simmons at least had a semblance of a love life. "Seeds" demonstrated that Fitz and Simmons were both rockstars on campus, so the nerdy/introvert cliche was never in play. I interoperated that deleted scene as further proof they're meant to be together. She never dated and only slept with that dude once. Simmons basically said Fitz was the ONLY interesting person she met, which is pretty surprising considering how many geniuses must have been running around that campus. I take that as evidence Simmons has always had latent feeling for Fitz. Plus, the fact they both said the other is smarter in the same episode is just too damn adorable.

Ooooo! Love those promo posters!

And again, your body language analysis is so awesome. The only thing I can see that you didn't comment on is that visible aperture line between Ward and Simmons. Does that just further signify Ward's growing detachment from his former team? Or maybe that there's a possibility of the gap becoming larger and Ward falling into the abyss?

Did I mention that I love you speculate about this stuff, too?

More +
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Hello my friends! FF - you may have seen this already, but I thought I'd share:

HUGE SPOILERS. STOP IF YOU WANT TO BE UNAWARE OF OUR FITZY'S FATE:

SHIELD Season 2 Episode 2 - SPOILERS

LOTS of pics from the ep
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
With fair warning - I'll add my 2 cents...

It appears jemma is having to help him a whole lot. Which is what we all guessed and maybe kind of hoped for in a way. Her being his mother hen.
Flag
Sep 21, 2014
Awesome!

I hadn't seen those pics yet, but I love what I'm seeing! Of course she's there to help him through his recovery. It makes complete sense she would be his shoulder to lean on. After seeing those pics, all the crazy theories I heard about Simmons being in a relationship with Tripp before Fitz even woke up seem even more ridiculous now. Jemma would have to be heartless to do that to Fitz after he literally sacrificed his life for her.

I guess some people think it's a hallucination, but I don't see how that would be possible when Fitz has never met Mack. It does look like he's having some motor function difficulties, though. God, this might be extremely difficult for me to watch.
Flag
Sep 21, 2014
That's what I saw too. Like she was guiding his hands. But - motor problems will be easier to deal with than if he was having cognitive problems
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Absolutely incredible post Fringe!!! :D

I so agree with just about every comment! The new agents, both SHIELD and Hydra, look awesome. I just hope that the Absorbing Man doesn't have his power absorbed by a psycho crushing his skull with one hand! (Had to have a TW shout out there.) And there are some new hot hunks who will steam up my tv screen.

I'm a long-time comic book fan (since I was about 6, so a fan decades in the making), and could not be happier with how MAoS finished the season. I only hope the 2nd season ramps up the action and Hydra craziness.

You're dead on with the GotG comments! And if Skye is shown to be immune to the Kree blood, then her 0-8-4 rep will be sealed as SHIELD's resident alien connection.
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Thanks so much! (Haha! Love the TW shout out.)

A comic book fan since you were 6? You agree with my GotG comments? I already think you're a wonderful person!

I've always thought there was a chance that Skye was half-alien, kinda like Peter Quill, so if she's immune to the Kree blood that would be awesome!

It's so great encountering other comic book/Marvel fans.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
test
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Test.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
FringeFanatic is BaaAACK!
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Holla!
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Wow, well done Fringe! This is a fantastic post!
(I just spend the last 30 mins I was supposed to be looking over the corrections my professor sent me reading this, and definitely NOT tearing up at the FitzSimmons videos!)
I'm not even sorry, SHIELD is the show I'm most looking forward to this autumn. I am SO excited, and that little "FitzSimmons are the best" video just reminded me how fricking cute Fitz is! The two of them are just... epic! At this stage the whole SHIELD component of the show could be complete crap but I would still watch just to see these two be so completely perfect!
Having said that, I do like the sound of the Kraken as the big bad for the season. Wonder how he'll measure up to Bill Paxton, cos he was great!
I just saw GotG last week, and wasn't really sure how it might tie in with SHIELD at all, but your insights are very interesting.
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Thank you!

I'm glad you enjoyed the FitzSimmons section. Those two somehow make me write with my heart on my sleeve.

As the world now knows my Marvel geekiness is nigh unmatched, but FitzSimmons goes even beyond that. I've watched a ridiculous amount of television over the years and they're already two of my all time favourite characters. I'm secretly hoping there's a FitzSimmons spinoff (unlikely but a guy can dream). So all this "what will he become" nonsense is pissing me off. He better damn well make a full cognitive recovery! Sorry, sorry, I have a short FitzSimmons fuse right now.

- From the sounds of the Kraken he's every bit as evil, so we have that to look forward to. But Paxton was a special kind of evil and weirdly likeable. Douchiness like that is hard to replace.

- I don't think they'll be any major tie-ins, but GotG did expand the Marvel universe and introduce is to the Kree, so there is a slight overlap.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Well deserved place of honor on the front page, my friend!
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
In no small part to you, Ed!
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
What, Ed can make posts appear on the sweet spot? Damn, he has to learn me that trick.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
I actually can't wait to see what's they do with Ward.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
An even BIGGER beard?
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Ha ha ha I know they will give him a shave well I hope but not completely off he needs a 3day rugged beard
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Remember when we first found out he was HYDRA, he all of a sudden had a 5 o'clock shadow? Now he's in prison and it's a full-on beard.

I think facial hair is Ward's evil barometer.
Flag
Sep 21, 2014
That's at least 2-3 weeks of evil beard right there. Let's keep an eye on it. If he goes back to stubble or clean shaven, then we know a redemption arc is in his future.

#WardsEvilBeard
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
:) I have no idea about beards as I'm a girl but how long would it have taken get that much evil beard. I don't want good Ward he needs to keep abit of the beard so he can be baaaaad while trying to do good actions.
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
It's more like Ward being clean-shaven is his goody-two-shoes persona. All he needs for redemption is permanent laser hair removal.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Also I think Skye took Wards betrayal pretty hard but it made her grow up super fast. It's good to see her so focused (You should watch the free clip on Itunes) I remember when she was struggling to fit in, but now she looks like she's been an agent all her life. I expect there to be a lot of cynicism, definitely lost her naivety, but also lots of bad ass. Can't wait!

Flag
Sep 18, 2014
I think its further from her own expectations given how Sky was singled out as the outcast - the outlaw where Ward was thesingled out as the straight guy - the hero.

In defining his role Ward certainly defined hers: Skye no longer the outcast but the hero, Ward as the outlaw posing as a hero all along. Each the natural rival of the other, albeit for completely different reasons than the ones hinted at the pilot.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Damn that was deep! I hadn't looked at it through that perspective! That's another thing I'm eager to see, how they interact now. Does this mean in order for Ward to become good Skye needs to go bad?!? What a scary thought
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
I don't think this is a Ward can still become good situation: he knows who he is and he knows where he's at. Only difference is that everyone else knows it too.
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Grumpy's calling for a redemption arc. I think he might be right.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Great article! Am going to re-watch the series! ;-)
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Thank you! I'm in the middle of my re-watch right now! :D
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Why do you want to torture yourselves? xD I was thinking about re-watching the last episodes (starting for Hydra's breakthrough) but then I remembered The (Fitzsimmons) Scene and I'm seriously doubting my strenth to revive the feelings and emotions that I tried to get over with the whole summer.
Flag
Sep 21, 2014
I'm on "Turn, Turn, Turn" right now and I'm starting to get more and more apprehensive as the finale draws near. But I've replayed that scene so many times in my head, I think I'll be able to handle it… I hope.
Flag
Sep 22, 2014
@FringeFanatic

Titanic's musicians send their regards (did you see what I did there? :P)
Flag
Sep 22, 2014
- Bambi's mother dying.
- Pinocchio's friend turning into an ass.
- Winnie the Pooh playing the stick game (thought I'd add a happy one).
- John Coffey crying while holding those two little dead girls in his arms.
- George telling Lennie to look across the river.
- Romeo and Juliet (cliche, I know).
- Peter Parker telling Mary Jane Watson he would always be there for her, but couldn't be with her (fanboy-ish, I know).
- The Red Wedding (book and show).
- FitzSimmons finale episode.

I know what you mean.
Flag
Sep 21, 2014
That makes two of us xD Although I think I'm never going to get over that scene... there are certain moments, certain words, from my favourite books (like Catelyn's "Our children Ned, all our sweet babies [...] No, don't, don't cut my hair. Ned loves my hair") or movies (Scar's "Long live the King") that are burned in my mind and I think that scene is going to be one of them for the rest of my life.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
*BEWARE SPOILERS*
In a interview with May she talks about being Skye's S.O now. I think the look shes giving Skye in that photo is more of a 'assessing my protege look' than anything sinister. I'm not sure of the rules with linking here but if you search "Rebuilding S.H.I.E.L.D with Ming Na Wen" you should easily find it. She says some interesting things about her new Director too.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Yeah, I did say they could be "concerned laser eyes". :)
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
I'm really looking forward to see the Calvary as the New Coulson to Coulson's Director Fury!
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
I imagine it more like May to Coulson like Commander Hill is to Fury! What if people start calling her Commander Melinda May!?! I got goosebumps!
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Beats the hell out of "Agent"! But I wonder what Maria's role will be in this new and reduced S.H.I.E.L.D.?
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Not only Maria could be the perfect liaison to Stark Industries, but she could serve as the perfect liaison to the Marvel movies.
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
I always hoped she'd become a regular at some point.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
She's at Stark Industries now, so I reckon a liaison is in order for Maria Hill.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Awesome read! Enjoyable throughout.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Thanks!
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
I forgot how much I loved the (end) of the show until I watched the last few again. Can I say my favorite Season 2 decision? Moving the show until nine o'clock. Geez that makes my life easier.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
I know! I'm watching the Blu-ray and the last few episodes are seriously top notch.

(P.S. What's going on at 8:00?)
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
You mean in my life or what will be on ABC on Tuesday at 8? I think ABC just switched around its comedy hour so Selfie and the Goldbergs are on at 8. I personally had been recording New Girl and Supernatural and AoS always ran a minute over. And unlike some shows where the show itself runs into the :59 second mark, so you are missing credits, there usually is actually something there. Teen Wolf did this to me with the season finale, it already expanded to 75 minutes but then it went like two to three minutes late.
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Sorry, should have specified I meant TV-wise. I'm not a stalker, I promise (but what's your address, btw? … kidding! I'll take a phone number.)

Yeah, I hate it when shows go a minute over their run time. It's just inconsiderate. It's like they're actively trying to screw over your TV schedule.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Marvelous.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
No, you are!
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Maybe with this Primer my cousin could go at least 2 questions without asking me what's going on. So Marvelous.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Hi FF, so good you're back! I stopped watching after episode 4 but you made me wonder if I should see the rest.

And I am still envious of your writing abilities......
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Thanks! And you should absolutely watch the rest. I never noticed the slow start everyone talks about, but I *DID* notice the second half of the season was much better than the first.

Ahhhh, you're making me blush!
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Welcome to the club. We need to scare him away again - makes us look bad. ;)

If you restart watching around T.R.A.CK.S. - there isn't a downbeat the rest of the season. IMHO
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
These compliments are making me uncomfortable! (Sometimes I wish I was a narcissist.)

I agree, T.R.A.CK.S. is a perfect place to pick the show back up.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
That's the point that the network started showing repeats, so it looks like they recognized that that was the turning point of the show.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Wow FringeFanatic. Very well done. I mean damn.

I really can't wait to see this season. I am glad that I stuck with this show last season even though it kind of waned in the middle. But dammit it pulled the ending off fantastically. Plus it has Elizabeth Henstridge who is yummy.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Thanks! "I mean damn" was exactly the reaction I was going for! I'm just glad it didn't bore people by being too long.

Yummy, indeed!
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Keep your hands off MY Gemma, Mate.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
I believe it is spelled Jemma. So that is a big fail right there.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
She told me she spells it with "G"

Just last night.
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Hey-o!
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Guys, guys, you're both late to the party. I've already asked her to marry me on twitter, so BACK OFF! (I'm sure she'll respond to me soon. It's only been three months.)
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
If Skye does turn bad it won't be this season.
I keep wondering if they will kill off one of the main cast this season
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
I read your "what to expect" post on MAoS and was seriously impressed at how accurate your predictions turned out. You truly are a Whedon-ite, so if you're wondering about the possibility of a main character getting killed this season, I'm not going to take it lightly. This might sound harsh, but if I had to pick, it would be Tripp first and May second. All the others (Coulson, Skye, FitzSimmons) are indispensable, in my opinion.

And I truly hope you're wrong that "HIS CHARACTER'S WILL NOT HAVE A HAPPY LONG TERM ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP".

I've read that FitzSimmons is loosely based off the real life married couple of Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, both co-creators of MAoS, so I hope they convince Joss to finally give a couple of his characters a happy long term relationship.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Me wondering about a death = My logic is based on Joss Whedon stuff, but I assume Jed will be influenced by him;

TV:
Buffy kills Angel in season 2
Doyle dies at the end of season 1 of Angel
I didn't like Dollhouse so I wouldn't know if they killed someone off

Film:
Wash dies in Serenity
Most of the characters die by the end of The Cabin in the Woods
The alien hybrid dies in the end of Alien: Resurrection:-0

I agree with you about Tripp being the likeliest candidate, but this is because I think Ward will have a redemption angle later in the season.

I also expect someone who guest stars over a few episodes to get killed off at some point.

For the romantic relationship stuff, just look at Buffy and Angel. I'd expect FitzSimmons to become a proper couple, possibly by the end of the season, and if there is a season 3 they may split up.

As i said, I expect Ward to have a redemption arc, and if this happens Ward and Skye may hook up by the end of season 2/start of season 3.

If Skye does get powers or there are revelations about her background, then I suspect a lot of this would be a set up for season 3 - either for her to turn dark (and come back to the fold by the last 1/3 of the season), or the villain of season 3 to have ties to Skye.

Coulson will probably have a short lived romance in season 2 - which will end with him choosing S.H.I.E.L.D. over the relationship....or death :-)

More +
Flag
Staff
Sep 22, 2014
Only butting in (sorry) to point out that although Joss is very much the master or heart-ripping, soul-crushing deaths... Doyle's death was a result of Glenn Quinn's drug addiction forcing the writers to have to write him out of the show, and Wash's death was because of a contract/scheduling thing with Alan Tudyk. BUT, I could very easily see someone bite it this season. In fact, I'm almost hoping for it. Keeps the tensions up (and FINE, I just don't really care about Tripp yet).
Flag
Sep 22, 2014
I think this calls for a Whedon-off!

(P.S. Looks like we're all in agreement, Tripp is #1 on the MAoS dead pool. He may not be a fan favourite, and I am vehmently anti-TrippSimmons, but I can't wish death on a guy who shares his potato chips.)
Flag
Sep 22, 2014
Fair enough
Tripp also reminds me of secondary characters like Kenya in Buffy and Kate's dad in Angel.

Mainly, I think he is the most likely candidate for the ax because Ward is sticking around
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Man, you've almost broken it down to a science.

Everything you've written about Ward and Skye's future arcs seems perfectly logical. And I could definitely see Coulson having a short lived romance this season.

I think you're predictive powers are more than just being a student of Whedon. You have an eye for proper story structure.

But I still hope you're wrong about FitzSimmons. :)
Flag
Sep 21, 2014
I find most TV writers have a pattern, and if you are exposed to it often enough you'll find it.
Whedon tends to inflict emotional blows onto his audience, but he manages to do this because he develops his characters and their relationships so well
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
So far, I liked how they have stayed away from the main-character-is-killed-off-in-the-first-season-since-Lost because, seriously, 10 years of the same plot is more than enough.

I also like the focus on the nice girl, the one that likes to feel good about herself, as opposed to the rebel against the system type of girl, not only because I like Jemma Simmons but because she's not the Buffy/Cordelia/River/Echo of any story yet Agents of SHIELD shows us her POV is as important as Skye, that she deserves Fitz's attention just as much, that she needs a mentor as much as the next one.

I want Fitz-Simmons to defy the romantic couple trope too, if only because not every epic love story must be based on an alpha male and the much younger rebel type, not every cute couple has to die in order to stay epic and there's no need for a pile of obstacles to keep an interesting couple interesting, and I can't wait for Fitz-Simmons to prove that much!
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
YES!

I understand that writers need to create conflict with (and within) their characters, but not every romantic couple needs to go through a cliche TV arc.

The show Friends is a perfect example of two almost archetypal TV romances:

- Ross and Rachel
- Monica and Chandler

Ross and Rachel got together and broke up so many times eventually there came a point when nobody even cared.

Conversely, Monica and Chandler were the fall in love, stay in love, get married, and adopt twins - type.

Both of those examples have been repeated before and after countless times, but not every character or couple has to fit into a certain box.

Too often writers view happiness as boring. This show could get along just fine with a happy and together FitzSimmons. When you've got countless aliens and super beings threatening to destroy just about everything, you're not bereft of tension and stakes.

It's true that most people hope for the happy ending, but we still want the journey. The peaks and valleys. We want to laugh, we want to cry, and sometimes we want our expectations to be defied.

Whatever they do with FitzSimmons I just hope it remains to be as sincere and resonant as it so clearly was in the first season. Conflict is fine as long as it's not for its own sake.

So, yeah, there's my two cents.
More +
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Loved the Fitz-Simmons section so much now I have to see supergenious Fitz-Simmons babies taking over the world!

What? Fitz may "never be the same", but his genes still are: those babies are going to be awesome!

Make it happen Jemma!
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Thanks!

FitzSimmons babies for President!
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Wow, this is epic and amazing! Thanks for pulling all this together. Just some quick drive-by comments, perhaps somewhat tainted by fan speculation (no spoilers):
- Skye was always the lead character, right? They're just making her look the part now. ;-) (Yowsa!)
- Skye turn evil? Never! (Or at least not for long...) Skye is our little miss marvelous!
- Hoping Izzy is from SHIELD's New Zealand branch.
- Would have loved to have been the L.A. comic shop employee when Chloe dropped in and asked, "What stuff have you got about the Kree?"
- And just to keep an open mind: Fitzsimmons: Hey, people once shipped Luke & Leia, too. :-}
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Thank you! I worried it might be too long and unruly, but I'll glady take "epic" and "amazing".

- I wouldn't exactly call Skye the "lead" character (I think that's Coulson), but she was definitely the "every man/woman" character. You know, the "fish out of water" character that is like the surrogate audience, allowing us to explore and understand the Marvel world through her eyes. She's obviously still a main character, but now she's a badass field agent, so that "new kid" vibe is gone and her new look reflects that. And I agree: (Hubba-hubba!)
- Haha! I tend to agree. I think the writers and producers are beginning to wear out the "will he/she turn evil?" plot twist. And it's funny you should call her "our little miss marvelous", because some fans think she *IS* Ms. Marvel. I'm not sure I agree, but it's an interesting theory.
- Love the Kiwi's!
- Comparing Luke and Leia to FitzSimmons? That's like night… and FitzSimmons. :)
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Thank you FF! So glad you are back. Fantastic work and I am so glad you did this in a post and not in a staff story comment section. YOu deserve to have your byline FRONT AND CENTER!

Awesome story.

Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Thanks, man! (And thanks for letting the staff know it was there.)

This was my first official post outside of a comment section and I've discovered the joy of being able to edit my story. That made it so much easier.

Having my own byline feels pretty cool, too!
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
As for the Absorbing Man:

If you want - skip to the 6:30 mark for an interesting spoiler:

Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Nice! That silver arm definitely confirms his Absorbing Man superpower.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Wow! Very thorough and interesting. Even though I've watched all of MAoS and all the movies, I still learned a few things. Thank you!
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
No, thank you! It's comments like these that make it all worth it.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
And I have to put in a plug - because I LOVED GotG. But I will give you 4 Seasons and a 4 hour miniseries that does "Human/Fish out of water fighting evil across the Galaxy" better than GotG (with 100x the pop culture references):

Farscape Community

They are both awesome in their own way - Farscape is a bit more dark while GotG is more campy - but if you like one you are likely to enjoy the other.

Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Frell!

In two comments you have exposed two of my TV blind spots. But I don't have any excuse when it comes to Farscape. If you say it's better than GotG, then I'll definitely be giving it a try.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Better may be unfair. It is different in some crucial ways. James Gunn will always make something look and feel different.

The characters themselves are similar - though I LOVE the Jim Henson Creature Shop over the CGI aliens. That gives Farscape a different feel right there.

FArscape had4 years and a mini to create a whole universe and serial story. GotG has only had the 1 movie.

But I will stand by saying that both are EPIC sci-fi adventures with huge hearts and great humor. FArscape went some dark places I could not believe it went. Often I asked myself "did they really go there?" There were few Hollywood endings ..even when a plan worked it usually still spelled a lot of death and things going wrong.

Your love for GotG tells me that Farscape would become a favorite in short order. It takes about 10 eps into season 1 to get moving ...but when it does...
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Already watched 3 episodes on Netflix (thank god for Netflix). I'm hooked already.
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
SWEET! Make sure you visit the Community for our recaps! Like i said - that show just makes a quantum leap in awesomeness from "A Human Reaction" until the very end. You haven't seen anything yet!

Farscape Community
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
This may appear later in your story - but I just ran into this last night so I'll just share now:

'Agents Of SHIELD' Season 2 Spoilers: Could Fitz Turn Evil While Ward Is Redeemed? New Posters Hint At Crazy Twists

Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Yeah, I read the article and added the teaser poster, but I didn't explore the "will Fitz turn evil?" angle because I already had a "Will Skye Join the Dark Side?" poll, and it's not like EVERYONE can turn evil. Next thing you know they'll be hinting that Gemma and May are HYDRA and everyone on the cast can have the spectre of turning evil hanging over their heads.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
I could see Fitz - in his desire to understand what his friend Ward did to him and the others ...maybe exploring his evil side. Maybe some anger toward what has happened to him.

As nice and sweet as Fit is, he would be the most interesting to see a dark side from
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
I just feel like the show has already played that card with Ward. All this talk about Skye and Fitz going dark seems too obvious. As I recall there weren't many who thought Ward was HYDRA and a mass murderer to boot.

I definitely see Fitz going through a tough time, but can't a guy deal with some bullshit and not turn evil?
Flag
Sep 20, 2014
Hot, English Co-Workers not returning affection could turn anyone evil
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
WOW! I needed to clear the morning to get to all of this! I shal l return ...only half way done but gotta run.

From the 1st half:

Adrianne Palicki, known for her work in "Friday Night Lights" and "G.I. Joe: Retaliation".

Actually I have to say - at least with genre fans of shows like MAoS - she is best known for "Jessica" in Supernatural.

And a fantastic Naughty Nurse:

Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Ah, man, Supernatural is probably one of my biggest TV blind spots. I considered watching it a few years ago, but I think I read an article by Tim Surette saying how the quality of the show fell off a cliff after season 5.

Care to refute the big man on TV.com campus? ;)
Flag
Staff
Sep 22, 2014
Tim IS right (please don't tell him I said that, because it will go to his head). But I agree that seasons 1-5 are well worth your time and effort. I'd say 6-7 were very hard to watch, 8 introduced a new mythology which made for some interesting stuff, and 9 was ... weird and uneven. Looking forward to season 10, though.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
No - he is right. But seasons 1-5 were so damn good that there are ton of bright spots 6-9, but nothing can top that serial storytelling. . Some were hard to watch, some just feel like they're repeating themselves, but others are still good to brilliant genre television. If you get 22 eps a year and 5 are awesome, 10 are really good, 5 are OK and 2 or 3 are really bad ...I think that batting average is good considering the state of TV.

But seasons 1- 5 ?! AMazing 5 year story arc.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Wait, she was one of the disposable girlfriend in Supernatural?!

The female cylon and the Dollhouse guy had it better.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Disposable?! No way! She was THE girlfriend - from the pilot. The one who died the same way as Sam and Dean's mom. Her death propelled Sam into his destiny.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Did Sam go celibate after she died? Because dying in the pilot doesn't make her "the" girlfriend, it just makes her the first one to die.

Fitz-Simmons they ain't
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
The 2nd movie.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
She was on GI Joe too?!
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
And OK ionee. We can all agree she wasn't developed as much as FitzSimmons. My point in adding this to FF's post that most of us Genre fans remember her from Supernatural more so than from GI Joe or Friday Night Lights. She was pivotal in the whole start of the series even though her role was brief.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
She was the one who was the impetus for Sam leaving Stanford and joining his brother as a hunter. She made other appearances, but Jessica dying like Sam and Dean's mom is the whole push that brothers together.

Hardly disposable.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members