Tuesday 10:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 20, 2016)

This is a SPOILERS-heavy discussion forum. I mean, it really is.

Seriously, if you're a fan of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and still haven't seen Captain America: Winter Soldier, STOP READING THIS IMMEDIATELY AND GO SEE THE MOVIE. If you keep on reading after my warnings, you WILL hate yourself, guaranteed, since you WILL end up ruining what would have been quite an enjoyable movie experience.

So... you have all been warned. From now on, you only have yourself to blame.

OK. So... S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't exist anymore.

Which is a good thing, given they were basically a sub-division of Hydra for the last 60+ years.

Man, I could discuss in length on how much making the Winter Soldier a direct creation of Arnim Zola, and not a super-soldier created by the Soviet Union, is probably the best course-correction I've ever seen from a film based on a comic-book (it makes so much more sense than the original story!), or how Stephen Strange, OF ALL PEOPLE, was so casually named-dropped by Sitwell... who's, oh yeah, a Hydra double-agent!!!

And this very last point (Sitwell, who was in "End of the Beginning", not to mention in numerous other adventures with Coulson, turning out to be an agent of the most dangerous Earth-bound organization in the Marvel universe) is precisely why I had to start this post. I'm not as interested in a full-on review of the movie as I am about talking of its direct effect to S.H.I.E.L.D. - the TV show.

So S.H.I.E.L.D. is no more; Fury went dark, probably with Maria Hill at his side [update: nope, she didn't! Thank you, TeamBanzai, for reminding me she got a job at Stark Ind.], leaving Coulson without an organization to back him up financially and logistically (doubtful he will be able to keep his plane, let alone Lola!) or with upper-level allies he can truly trust. Hydra's existence inside Shield also give a brand new spin on the whole Clairvoyant/Deathlock saga - that Victoria Hand could turn out to be the Clairvoyant itself, given what happen during the last episode, is a pretty solid guess, but this whole plot could have been all along an underground Hydra project to create another super-assassin à la Winter Soldier to further their plans (frankly, if Alexander Pierce succeeded in using the new Helicarriers to kill off all of Hydra's enemies, making Mike Peterson their new puppet would seemed kinda pointless, but hey, you never have enough super-soldiers, I guess.) Also, and I hate to go there, Melinda could very well also be a double-agent.... Now that would truly be disappointing! I hope she will clear up her name by next week, so I can stop suspecting everyone in Team Coulson (you just too damn gorgeous to be trusted, Simmons... I have my eyes on you, pretty lady!)

But seriously - ABC cannot keep on calling it Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. next season, amirite? That agency won't be up-and-running until Fury takes care of all the Hydra moles left in the U.S. Secret Service, and not until this giant mess left in the wreckage of the Triskelion gets clean up. So... should we expect a title change come Fall of 2014? And what the hell Coulson and his crew will exactly do without any directive from Nick or anyone else from the upper echelon?

Alright... I said my piece. I leave the floor for the rest of you guys.
Comments (138)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
why would you print this if it has spoilers...are you so hard up for space on this site????
Flag
Options:
  • Nick Fury hid dozens of caches around the globe containing equipment AND paper-money, gold, etc. Coulson and team visit the various places to get gear or get cash (paper money) to buy stuff.
  • Nick Fury hid some numbered bank accounts with billions of dollars in them and left the numbers with their secret-base-guy.
  • We've already seen that Skye is a bank's worst nightmare, she can talk a security guard into hacking a bank from 10' away. So maybe she starts stealing from bad groups to fund their heroic adventures.
  • Stark starts funneling money to them on the down-low, perhaps without Coulson knowing it's coming from him. By now I wouldn't be surprised if Start learned that "Agent" was still alive.
  • They become friendly mercenaries... countries come to them when they have a problem and pay / equip them.
  • They just steal from the bad guys they take down, like Leverage
Flag
Another possibility for Agents of Shield after the events of Captain America: Winter Soldier is that the remaining agents will now have to reach out and even protect some of the persons identified as threats to Hydra by Project Insight. Among the new names Sitwell mentioned is Stephen Strange. He also mentions an a news anchor in Cairo and a high school valedictorian in Iowa. With some liberal changes from the Marvel Comicverse, the news in anchor in Cairo could be Marc Spector, Moon Knight or even possibly Kamala Khan, the new Ms. Marvel. High school valedictorian from Iowa, my guess would be Sam Alexander, Nova.
Flag
oh ... and the traitor is Fitz!
Flag
Arnim Zola is the Clairvoyant!
Flag
Awww ... so wrong!
Flag
It would've made more sense though :/
Flag
Thank god I saw the movie because it is AWESOME, and I don't know my head is a mess, what will happen to the show? I'm FarrSahdow they will be a nick fury's branch.
About the movie: they have all the superheroes and only captain america and black widow helped taking hydra down???? I think the plot was more for an avengers movie, still I loved it
Flag
You could say the same thing about The Dark World. Hell, you could have said the same for Iron Man 3, when Tony's beachhouse literally got leveled - and even S.H.I.E.L.D. didn't show up to help him out!

From now on, expect solo movies in the MCU to become bigger and bigger, making the whole Chitauri invasion looks like a nice, relaxing afternoon. And, when it comes time for a genuine Avengers film... expect total chaos that cannot be matche by anything else that previously happen. Ultron will be like this - if Marvel and Wheadon doesn't sugar-coat it and make the character exactly like it is in the comics... chaos.

... And, dude, did you forgot Falcon? How about giving the guy some love - he was awesome!?
Flag
I agree on Falcon, he is awesome
Flag
He's the best!

Bucky is my favorite, but Falcon is the best!
Flag
Awesome movie and the recent episodes have been great! I am assuming the show will become focused on catching Hydra agents (perhaps with a Nick Fury cameo or two). They may even go to Europe, where Fury said he was heading. I assume most of S.H.I.E.L.D. will be rebuilt on the show in time for The Avengers. Whether I'm right or wrong, I'm looking forward to the journey!
Flag
IDk Hydra has Loki's staff as seen in the end of captain america
Flag
When Fury said he was going to Europe, this presented to me two possibilities for the direction of the series. First and simplest, was that he was going after last known whereabouts of Hydra which would dovetail with the events in Avengers 2: Age of Ultron. It's possible he would touch base with Clint Barton (Hawkeye) which would lead to the rescue of the Pietro and Wanda Maximoff (Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch). As I recall, some of the initial photos show Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch in some European Country. Another less simpler possibility, is that Fury is out to find the real SHIELD or the original SHIELD. Based on the SHIELD mini series written by Jonathan Hickman, the original SHIELD was an organization older than the one everyone thought was created only after World War II. The original SHIELD was an organization that dates back to the Egyptian Pharaohs and was created to defend the Earth from Otherwordly threats. It's members over the centuries even included Leonardo da Vinci and much later Howard Stark and it's original headquarters was in Rome.
Flag
Yeh, I was thinking about the SHIELD secret society arc from the last couple of years. It was a good read.

That maybe he's heading over there to talk to the REAL Shield elders.
Flag
So the first S.H.I.E.L.D. was essentially the original Sentient World Observation and Response Department. 'Will have to check out this mini-series.

'Wonder if the MCU ever going to include S.W.O.R.D. in the mix...
Flag
Hope so. It would go well with the Guardians of the Galaxy and Marvel Phase III.
Flag
sorry the movie killed the series for me. making it pointless the movie itself has a incredible fault.

the avengers would not stand for this or at least Tony Stark and Bruce Banner helping Rogers with taking Hydra down.

where the F was hawk eye. why was Rogers with Tony's mom thought she died of old age already where was Tony then.

oh thats right same universe but their independant movie.. still a fucking twist of a story hey.

and the Loki staff (after credits) didnt they take that with them got to watch the avengers again (yay)

overall i am not liking the show in general and the show has nothing to do with the series... period

Nick fury hard man to find my ass for starters.

not to mention the clairvoyant.. seriously? BS GTFO
Flag
uh... unless we're thinking of a different time in the movie, I'm pretty sure that Rodgers was hanging out with Peggy Carter... it's been announced that Banner and Hawkeye's whereabouts will be explained in AoU and Stark, as far as we're all concerned so far, is armorless... And no, they didn't take Loki's staff with them, Last person that had it was Widow and she's a S.H.I.E.L.D agent... And it all happened internally, there was no way for anyone outside of S.H.I.E.L.D's main branch that could have known what was going on, let alone get there in time...
Flag
It would make one hell of a setup for next season though! SHIELD is no more. Now what. Maybe they'll start rebuilding SHIELD? I have no idea! I just know that I just about flipped out when I saw Sitwell and then he got sent to the boat! OMG!!! I love this show so much! I love Marvel. I can't wait to see what comes next!
Flag
I am so bummed that I had already deleted this episode from my DVR before I saw the movie! I want so much to see this episode again so that I have a better idea of the timeline. I do believe that Sitwell left to be on the ship, and the end of the episode is right before Fury's "killed". So the next episode should be when Cap is being hunted by Shield/Hydra, and that's when Hand controls the bus.

So at the beginning of the next episode, SHIELD should still exist and be going rogue. And I'm still not sure if Ward is a good guy or a Hydra mole; him killing Nash made no sense, unless he's still affected by Asgardian rage. And I'm not sure I buy that.

I'm sure that Zola's the Clairvoyant, and that he's still "alive". That small hub/connector was its escape exit out of the bunker.
Flag
Well, I guess I was right to be suspicious of Ward and Sitwell and wrong on the Clairvoyant's identity.
Flag
So now I have watched it and I am kind of excited for the show now. i do wonder about the timing of things like if the order to pull in the bus was interrupted or if Hand is actually based in the Triskele (and thanks to Teen Wolf i have the most ironic understanding of that term right now since as it is defined on that show it is also to serve as a reminder that at any time an Alpha can fall to a Beta or an Omega and likewise a Beta can go up or down or an Omega can become an Alpha). I was under the impression the "hub" was different than the main office, but I could be wrong (and while watching the movie, I was sort of like, that's all well and good Hill, Rogers et al, but what about the Hub and the school and the Fridge...which I actually assume will be the bigger mission the show will focus on, the team trying to secure the Fridge so that H.Y.D.R.A can't get its hands on all the stuff that is there). I presume the HUB is different because otherwise...um, they killed Simmons in the movie (and we saw her in a preview so....).

My thought to the mid credit glimpse of Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch, was first, oh be careful they belong to the X Men world and X Men movies belong to Fox...but, my show related to the thought, since that was Loki's staff and it was blue and he technically is a frost giant, they probably are going to say instead of being real mutants that Quicksilver and S.W. were injected with something alien to have them develop these powers. What if they were injected with the same thing that Coulson and Skye were injected with? But to compromise with the mutant idea, they, and Skye were born with something anomalous and the injection makes them capable of being whatever. And seriously, I was waiting for Fury to mention there at the gravesite that Coulson was still alive.

I actually think provided they can separate the computer systems from S.H.I.E.L.D. they can probably keep the plane (I have no idea how it fuels up or anything) but they probably have to lay low for a bit.

I am not sure who the Clairvoyant actually is anymore, my first idea out of the movie was that it was Zola, in which case he isn't a problem any more. So that would make everything HYDRA connected (i.e., Deathlock) which thank goodness means Gareth and Triplett will stick around on our team's side. But there is this part of me that almost wonders is the Clairvoyant is an entirely different problem who might be working, weirdly, in opposition to Shield because of Hydra so we might not be totally against them.
More+
Flag
I am felling like a junky without a fix.
I mostly dont go see movies in theaters, i usually wait for dvd or blue rays, but MaoS Forced me to go watch midnight premiere of CA:TWS , and now CA:TWS has made me unable to wait till Tuesday. I am spending all my time on internet searching for fix , reading all the theories on what will happen or anything related to future of shield . i think next episode of Maos will break all records regarding number of viewers . I hope it will be a good one and worth the wait.
Flag
Not really. S.H.I.E.L.D in the comics is far older than what we been told on screen, it dates back to Apocalypse and ancient Egypt, so this can't be the first time it gone through a little rough patch.

An there another organisation that behind S.H.I.E.L.D that is base in Italy, which is where Fury has gone.

Also Nick Fury in the comic is 33rd-degree and is the only S.H.I.E.l.D agent that knows the locations of 28 off the book S.H.I.E.l.D facilities and bases An i am guessing he controls directly the funds that are use to maintain those secret bases.

And remember Clairvoyant is HYDRA or one of it projects but it didn't know how S.H.I.E.L.D bought back Coulson, which means that not all parts of Shield has been infiltrated and it likely Fury has protected a substantial amount of Shield assets, enough to keep Coulson team going for years. If he still has a team.

I would like to see Sky go off and have her own adventures and use her new skills and knowledge to build up Rising Tide.

An I hope they don't make Simmons evil, though she could well be the honey that get Coulson team to let down their guard when they arrive back at base but I hope not.
More+
Flag
I'm totally stealing this from Marvel comics (2009-2011) Secret Warriors but "Agents of NOTHING"
Flag
LOL
Flag
As far as I'm concerned, the end of the movie established the agents of SHIELD are still doing their job even if the organization is gone. It's what HYDRA didn't count on.

Now there're SHIELD operatives in the CIA, Stark Industries, Hospitals, the military, etc. and those are just some examples. There may be plenty more doing tech work, teaching at college, running a laboratory and waiting a signal to aid his comrades.
Flag
That's not how I saw it in the film (I thought it was more a question of them moving on to other ways to help people),
But I love that idea :)
Flag
My prediction- The Clairvoyant, thinking he/she's won, recalls all the surviving moles and uses them to attack Coulson and the rest of the team. Coulson will find a way to get Deathlok back to his side, they'll destroy the Clairvoyant and the remaining moles, but the Clairvoyant will discover the secret behind the blue alien, use it to perfect the Centipede project before dying, and the new evil super soldier will become the primary villain for season 2. (since it got renewed.) Deathlok will either die or get prepped for a spinoff show (based on the fact that the rating SKYROCKETED the minute he put on the leg enhancement and he was a badass in his second fight against Agent May.) and Skye will have some sort of power revealed at the end of the season, be it physical (super strength, speed) or psychic. (Since the show has said time and again that they don't exist, making her the first psychic.) Season 2 will be centered around the super Centipede soldier trying to recruit/kidnap Skye and Coulson and the rest of the team trying to keep her from going to the dark side.
Flag
I like the way you think.

But what's your take on the S.H.I.E.L.D. situation? Who do you think will bankroll Coulson Team - Stark, the number one choice of pretty much everybody, or someone else?
Flag
Fury. He move Coulson out of the way so that he wouldn't be taken out by HYDRA when they showed him selve. An Fury clearly has secrets he kept from HYDRA for 60 years.
He must have further plans for Coulson team.
Flag

My theory is that Colson and his team will be the start of the new SHIELD, most likely funded by Tony, stripping it back to its core purpose. It made me think of what Colson said about the difference between new and improved.

Colson is a bit of the Steve Rogers idealist, but with Nick Fury cynicism and spy skills as well. He would be the perfect new leader for the organization and I think Hill may be the liaison. They hinted that there were going to be some cameos this season and I’m sure Samuel L Jackson will do something. Although it seems more likely that Chris Evans would direct an episode before appearing in one (which would be perfectly fine with me).
Flag
To be honest, what's really important to me is that this means we may never find out exactly what was done to Coulson in Tahiti.

You never kow whethere the revelation comes from an actual SHIELD or a surviving HYDRA posing as such.
Flag
At this point, I think WHY it was done is a more important question than WHAT was done. Fury obviously had plans for Coulson. Sadly, he didn't have the courtesy to tell Coulson what they were.
Flag
AOS has been Skye-centered, then Coulson-centered, then back at Skye. so whatever season two will and what will become of SHIELD, Skye is [pretty much one of its foundations.Maybe we will learn more of her birth and her real parents. Now, with the reveal that the present SHIELD has been peppered by HYDRA operatives, could her parents have been high HYDRA officials, maybe the semen of Red Skull put to nefarious use?

Flag
The "order is pain" line suggests to me that Handsome is Hydra.
Flag
Emil Zola and no Red Skull revival? where's the fun in that. So, if SHIELD is Hydra , who are Caterpillar, the good guys? I dunno all this is very weird.
Flag
Centipede is likely a Hydra project and the reason they kept one step ahead of S.H.I.E.L.D is because they had infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D.
Flag
Hydra has proved, again and again, capable of surviving and even thriving without Red Skull around. And CENTIPEDE (Caterpillar sounds like something outta the upcoming Jem movie!) could still turn out to be a Hydra project from the get-go.
Flag
Centipede does make more sense., my Liege. Hydra with a tentacle in every nefarious business and Centipede with a foot everyone's ass,
Flag
So News-a-rama just post their own article asking themselves the same questions we're asking here.

Click here if you want to read it.
Flag
Hmmm, well for some time I had thought that Sky from AoS had something to do with the Clairvoyant. Zola appears to be standalone though could have an old hardline connection...hence ability to call in a strike. The tie in with CA:tWS tells us what Fury has been up to and builds suspense for the next AoS episode.

I do wonder how this will come about with Sky's hacker agenda, as Widow essentially did what Sky had been wanting to do from the start. I foresee the show staying pretty much on course, tracking down Hydra subsidiaries.

I foresee more of these tv series/ movie tie ins. Each able to hold its own but contribute to the other stories. I am expecting the X-Men to have their own offshoot under this model...maybe centered on the Morlocks....
Flag
Completely unrelated to the whole S.H.I.E.L.D. / Winter Soldier debate, but worth mentioning here since it is kind of a spoiler (unless you haven't seen yet the last episode of Community, which would make this a spoiler FOR YOU, so stop reading right now!):

So Community had their "G.I. Jeff" episode, which featured Danny Pudi as Abed/Fourth Wall.

You know, the very same Pudi who had an unknown, short, yet FANTASTIC cameo in Winter Soldier - a cameo so unexpected, it may one of my friends say outloud "what the f*ck Abed's doing here?", to which my whole row responded "YEAH!", laughing our asses off.

Now, for those who didn't know this, Kevin Feige found out about the Russo brothers after watching what Joe Russo did with Community's paintball episodes "A Fistful of Paintballs" and "For a Few Paintballs More" (another interesting side-note: the first paintball episode, "Modern Warfare", was directed by none other than major Fast & Furious director Justin Lin... so, evidently, all the future action directors out there must first direct an episode of a Dan Harmon sitcom!) He invited the brothers to Marvel Studios to spitball ideas about what they would do with a Captain America feature, and, after a couple of meetings, they got the job.

It goes without saying that Pudi got the cameo precisely because... he is Danny Pudi. But what's really intriguing here is the broadcasting date of "G.I. Jeff" - a mere day before Winter Soldier gets its US release. Was that a very fortunate coincidence for NBC or a very well-planed production schedule by Harmon to maximize on fanboys' overall reactions to Pudi's cameo in the film?

I'm not quite sure why I'm over-thinking all this - at the end of the day, it is just pretty damn cool! But I had to mention this somehwere, so might as well be here.
More+
Flag
Iron man will most likely finance the new shield while Captain America will be ''in charge'' as its moral compass this time until he dies (he becomes ill to cell regeneration) gets frozen again and Bucky returns to take his place.

The new shield will be run by the Avengers (if anyone saw the film you saw the completed tower nearly get destroyed). Also as Black widow said the world needs them. As threats get more intense Ultron, Thanos etc Shield operatives and Avengers members still remain the best people to tackle these.

As for the show maybe this is why Fury gave Coulson his own team to begin with. Fury suspected their may be leaks or traitors within Shield so gave Coulson his very own team that he selected. Remember Coulson is one of Fury's most trusted like hill.

Whats going to happen to all those Shield holding cells.

Flag
Stark is already financing SHIELD. at least he was in the comics.
Flag
But not yet on screen. I think he wont finance shield itself as technically we learned in this film that his parents were killed by shield. Armin zola made it seem like Howard Stark like Fury presently, got too close to the truth.

I see Stark and all the Avengers, with key shield operatives (fury, hill, coulson) becoming their own private entity. Pretty much the worlds Black Ops team and last line of defence.
Flag
What I find interesting is the timeline.
Sitwell started the film as a hostage on the boat - so I assume that's where he had to run off to near the start of the episode.
In the film, Capt. America announced over the PA system at the HQ that SHIELD had been infiltrated by HYDRA.
And at the end of the episode, Hand was presumably at SHIELD HQ - which was destroyed near the end of the film - taking remote control of the plane.

So when exactly in the timeline are we?
Will Coulson and co. turn up before or after the HQ is destroyed?
If its before, then will they be informed that Cap is a "traitor"?

If Hand was not at SHIELD HQ the same questions apply.

Also, as SHIELD was disbanded at the end of the film, what happens to the supervillains they have in custody?

If they are tying into the film, then Dr. Zola could be the clairvoyant - considering the amount of tech involved (the implants especially).
Flag
They are tying on the film, there was a documentary last week airing to tht effect, something called "Marvel Forever " or the like.
Flag
Thats interesting - it makes me think that ABC and Marvel are strongly behind the series, so a second season is probably a very good bet
Flag
I agree. Especially if you take into consideration the cast were at PaleyFest. I doubt that Disney would invest that much into the show if they were not planning on bringing it back for at least 1 more season.
Flag
I think it's a safe bet, my liege. The series seems to have been made to introduce the movie.
Flag
I found this article with videos about the next episode - but can't watch them all because of region lock

Watch the Winter Soldier ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D’ Tie-In Episode Opening [SPOILERS]
Flag
Hand was at the Hub. It was the Triskelion that was destroyed in the movie. I'd likely assume that the events at the very end of the last episode were occurring concurrently with the events in the middle of Captain America. It seems logical to assume that Coulson's loyalty to Fury is common knowledge. He could be viewed as a threat that needs to be eliminated, most likely at the same time as or immediately after Fury himself. The events in the next episode (or couple of episodes depending on how they pace things) will probably be occurring at the same time as everything that went down in the movie.
Flag
I suspect 'timeline wise' to avoid spoilers from either movie or the show Winter Solider will take place at the end of or between seasons. I can't see things like Zola and the destruction of Trilesikon (or however it was spelt) or even the re-emergence of HYDRA being spoilt by the TV show considering what kind of shock it was meant to be in the movie, or who the Clairvoyant is to be spoilt in the movie. The two were designed to be separate enough you weren't expected to have seen the movies to watch the show (although let's face it, the majority of people still watching SHEILD are die hard marvel movie goers who will probably see Winter Solider by next Tuesday)

I especially think Fury won't be 'killed' until near the end. Which makes you wonder why ABC didn't try time things better.

As for next season (and on the assumption a new SHIELD isn't created during Guardians of the Galaxy), I suspect the team will continue without SHIELD, picking up the pieces and watching for superhero 'activities' (or whatever their job is meant to be) like usual just without the back-up. It was already heading down that path and Coulson particularly was starting to distrust and almost rebel from SHIELD.

As for the future of SHIELD in general post Winter Solider, I have no idea. I suspect they almost have to have some presence in Avengers 2. Perhaps we'll see the intro to SWORD.
More +
Flag
Consider me completely and utterly corrected
Flag
Actually, the last episode of SHIELD, End of the Beginning, was the direct lead-in to The Winter Soldier. Sitwell was sent on the path that has him end up on the hijacked ship. Furthermore, when Fitz and Simmons are trying to speak over the encrypted line, you hear her say that something big is happening and agents are rushing to the situation room... I speculate that this is when the s**t begins to hit the fan in The Winter Soldier.
And for half a season, Agents of SHIELD has been advertising that next weeks episode will be in the aftermath of The Winter Soldier. Personally, Im hoping to see Cap show up, but given Sam Jacksons public statements of being willing to cameo in the show as often as desired, I would guess that Coulson will finally see him in the last moments of the episode.
Flag
the more i think about it, im thinking Agents of SHIELD might just shortchange us on the guest appearances in this next episode on Tuesday, Turn, Turn, Turn... knowing how network television works with budgets, i think our Cap cameo MIGHT just be his voice on an intercom, delivering his speech to all of SHIELD from the movie... dang.
Flag
As for Sitwell, he might just disappear from the show until a casual mention or interrogation later.
Flag
Eh... Sitwell is dead. He got smushed against a truck by the Winter Soldier during the movie. I'm assuming all spoiler bets are off this deep into the thread :)
Flag
id put money on us seeing Sitwell returning. its a comic book series... nobody is ever DEAD for good. he'll be back.
Flag
I'll admit i'd forgotten what happened to him and took a guess
Flag
Hand was at The Hub, I believe, though she may have left to go elsewhere.
Flag
You're probably right
Flag
Have to wait and see, but as Winter Soilder isn't released in the US until tomorrow there is no reason for it to have happened between the two episodes of AoS.
Sitwell did mention something about catching a boat, so it's possible that Winter Soilder happens after the season finale.
I think Hand was at the Hub not the Triskellion so would be safe(ish) but I'm not entirely sure where Simmons was heading.
Flag
The Hub is probably a safe bet.
Flag
This trailer might clear some things up-

Flag
Well, it actually muddle the water a little bit more IMO (clarification nonexistent in this trailer)... but goddamn is it good as sh*t!
Flag
The "Uprising" tag makes me think its somewhere in the last third of the films timeline
Flag
they've been using that tag for a few weeks, i dunno if it's just a sales gimmick cos i haven't seen it used anywhere else.
Flag
Captain America: The Winter Soldier was phenomenal. Before this movie, my favorite of the stand-alone super hero movies was the first Iron Man, but after seeing this movie, it blew that one out of the water. One of my favorite things about it was that it truly opened up the MARVEL world and was in a lot of ways the first domino. Everything from here on out will be affected by this movie.

I have no complaints at all about the movie, though I do admit I found myself wondering about all the AoS changes that would happen. Before seeing the movie, I watched Tuesday's episode, and though I didn't think Hand was the Clairvoyant, I assumed she was working under them. Now I'm pretty sure she's part of the corrupt Hydra factor.

Did anyone else say "I hate that guy???" when that asshole senator was shown? Even worse to find out he was working for Hydra, but it fits completely with his previous appearance in Iron Man 2.

I also feel in a way that the movie answered - without stating it - why Fury brought Coulson back. Fury himself said he wasn't sure who to trust and that it is good to be suspicious until proven otherwise. He had a few agents he knew he could trust and who would be loyal to him, and my belief is that was - at least part of - his reason for bringing Coulson back. Maybe that's a weak theory, but right now, it's one of the few I have.
More+
Flag
SHIELD will obviously be back as SHIELD, not simply a bare boned agency. One of the big points of the movie was that SHIELD was too big, with its fingers in the pockets and brains of every American, so clearly that will be an issue they have to deal with next season. But the government doesn't shut down multi-billion dollar agencies with ties to so many manufacturers, agencies, state offices and government officials, elected, appointed or hired as government employees. It does Senate hearings, puts someone new in charge and then uses the corruption as a keystone to the next election process. So the agency will still be there next season.
Depending on who turns sides next week, half the cast may not be, May in particular. They never developed her enough that dropping her leaves a big hole.
But they certainly won't rebrand the show for the same reason Game of Thrones is still named after the first book in a series that is titled A Song of Fire and Ice, instead of each year changing to the next title or the overall one: people are stupid, tv watchers can be particularly so. They don't want to have to hunt for the show they liked under a different name. And SHIELD hasn't exactly budged NCIS out of the top spot on TV, let alone on Tuesdays at 8 in terms of the ratings. So the studio isn't going to risk losing a portion of its already smaller audience by renaming it. if anything, the Winter Soldier story is going to make people want to start watching the show that fills in the gaps between WS and Age of Ultron, and Agents of SHIELD is going to be the only fix between now and then. No new Thor movie, no new Iron Man, no new Cap. This year they had to work around the intersecting stories of two movies released during its season. Next year, it will be the sole tie-in to the Age of Ultron story, so it will be the main source of insight. And hopefully a few more cameos by the main characters. Or at least more name dropping and details about what they
are doing.
Coulson may lose the superplane, and Lola. But seeing SHIELD agents having to grovel or fight to get people to give them any information or trust would make next season a little more interesting. They spent half the season getting Skye to trust that they were the good guys and they could be trusted to do the right thing with all of the power and information they are hoarding. Imagine them trying to convince the entire country of that. Instead of flashing a badge and getting the respect they have now after the battle of New York, they flash a badge and people kick them out of their stores or businesses. they would have to go back to being more covert.
I don't know how next week is going to go, but they've done enough for me to know that I will be watching next season.
More+
Flag
SHIELD will be restructured, eventually, and probably under Cap and/or Fury's watchful eye, so my guess is that the show is going to spend a season with our cast as rebels, working in the shadows without full support. Either that, or they will BE the beginning of the New SHIELD.
Flag
All i can say is that is going to be a really interesting rest of this season to see where they take the story arc, as a result of what has happened in Captain America! Hell we might actually get more decent episodes!
Flag
It's strange to sit in a movie and keep wondering how this will effect a TV series!
Though we know Maria Hill is with Stark (or applying anyway), she didn't go dark.
CA also hinted that Zola could be the clairvoyant, right? That seemed like a bigger story that wasn't really addressed?

This is was a fantastic epiosde as a stand-alone episode, but all the Captain America tie is really nailed it, 100% better than there last "cross over"!
Flag
Can I just point out how CRAZY it is that Arnim Zola made it into the movie in his "head in a television" self AND the zinger had Baron Stucker there, monocle and all? For all the Bourne-esque seriousness in the film, I loved it most when it just got goofy.
Flag
yup
Flag
I think this all-but stated that it was Zola all along. But that makes me wonder how the show is going to handle it, considering the mystery they have been investigating all along won't be solved by them or even on the show.
Flag
I guess the AoS guys could uncover it for themselves, it seemed like a secondary issue to Captain America and Black Widow, so it wasn't really discovered 'discovered' by them, as in they uncovered it, but it didn't have the same kind of impact it would for Coulsons group.

Flag
That is a very good point actually. In the movie, it seemed more about Hydra's re-emergence and stopping everything they had put in motion. I did note that their plot didn't quite tie up with Centipede's own. So maybe it will be as you said. Zola in the movie was very much there to just fill in the gaps to Cap and reveal the conspiracy. Maybe some external ramifications of the Zola algorithm (or a more extended plot of his own) will play out in Agents of SHIELD.
Flag
yeah I was wondering the same thing. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw the Winter Soldier. Unfortunately, living in the UK, I am behind on episodes of shield. So I don't know if this has been mentioned in the tv show yet. Can't wait to see how they address it.
Flag
the next 2 episodes are crucial for to know the future of agents of shield since they will be during and after cap america 2, i think shield will reform with Fury and the people he trust, including of course Coulson's team
Flag
Fury has resurrected SHIELD several times in the comic 'verse. He always does it with a core group of agents loyal to him. As for financing; Coulson is/was an extremely high level agent he probably has more than a few 'slush funds' that he is aware of.

Not to mention, Stark would more than likely fund a new SHIELD start up. His father was one of the original founding members.
Flag
Finally, a chance to talk about Captain America: The Winter Soldier and it's impact to Agents of Shield. I definitely agree that Stark should fund the new SHIELD. In the comicverse, it was Stark who originally recruited Fury to be the head of SHIELD. In fact, I wouldn't be surprise if for the time that Nick Fury is underground, Stark takes over as Director. It happened in the comic books for a time. However, it he does intend to resurrect SHIELD, he's going to need a new Board. Most of them with the exception of the British rep were supposedly killed by Pierce. I wouldn't be surprised if Stark has been waiting for this to happen all along. In the Avengers, he installed a device to tap into the SHIELD system and he even said to Captain America that "in a short while, I'll know everything SHIELD knows". I wouldn't surprised if he was just waiting for SHIELD to fall apart then he could swoop in and recover whatever was left of the organization his father started after it had been cleansed. This will give him a chance to build a new Board to oversee SHIELD. Lastly, on the Clairvoyant, who else thinks this is Arnim Zola after watching the movie?
More +
Flag
The movie was fantastic in every way. This show otoh, has been hit and miss at times. Now if they had an actual threat like Hydra and a clear villain(s) to face, then maybe the show can finally find its footing and to much better. for a while the standalones and the clairvoyant stuff was getting boring and just dragging on. if zola is the clairvoyant, then great because his appearance in that film was downright creepy and awesome. the monitor with the camera on top was just perfect. maybe even a few strucker scenes/influences would be great to have as well.
Flag
by hydra, i mean not just indirectly from the centepede stuff, but maybe if zola is the clairvoyant. i want an actual appearence of hydra with villains we know.
Flag
We likely will see HYDRA as well as CENTIPEDE. The MARVEL verse is big enough to have 2 big-bads running around. CENTIPEDE is involved with creating the Deathlok technology. That was never a HYDRA thing. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if Strucker showed up in season 2 of AOS.
Flag
It absolutely must be Zola, and I bet he's the beginning of Ultron.
Flag
@MightyMad: The copy of Zola would have been made well before Pierce destroyed Zola in his quest to get Rogers. And It wouldn't have had to have been a Hydra operative doing it.
Flag
I think this all-but stated that it was Zola all along. But that makes me wonder how the show is going to handle it, considering the mystery they have been investigating all along won't be solved by them or even on the show.
Flag
That's my biggest problem with Zola being the Clairvoyant - this seems a tad unfair for an Agents viewer to make their TV show's biggest arc be resolve outside of the series.

Then again, I wouldn't put it pass Disney to pull something like this, to force people reluctant to go see Winter Soldier to still go see it. That's what a well-run tentpole can do for your entertainment division.
Flag
@lynna12000: the way Pierce was describing it, though, saying he had to destroy Zola to get to Rogers, didn't left a lot of room for a copy to be made. I mean, Pierce would have known if such a copy existed... or maybe not - it isn't much of a surprise to find out that Hydra would lie even to their high commanders.
Flag
What was in the old bunker was essentially a computer copy of someone. There is no reason the copy couldn't have been copy and put to someone's use.

I don't think that Disney is forcing people to watch the movie to see a resolution outside the arc. What Disney has done is create an incredibly interconnected universe. You can enjoy individual parts of it without having to view the all of it.

I am sad about Sitwell though...I was SO disappointed with him. He did tell Coulson the truth in that little short; he really is good a playing a patsy. Or, he was.
Flag
Although I still think the Zola is the Clairvoyant, I don't think he's Zola anymore. Doesn't it seem strange that Hydra left Zola's consciousness locked up in technology more than 40 years outdated? I think that over the years the leaders of Hydra became afraid of Zola. Arnim Zola always played the part of the good lackey ever since Johann Schmidt-Red Skull was his master and was always one of the most loyal members of Hydra even engineering it's eventual resurrection inside SHIELD. But I think he eventually felt that he should be more and when he became virtually immortal by uploading himself into a computer storage system, he decided we wanted to be more. I also don't think that Hydra was able to contain him in the bunker and that over the years he was able to upload himself somewhere else ala Skynet. If this is the case, his destruction in Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a ruse, so that he can consolidate himself without his former Hydra masters finding out. I wouldn't even be surprised if he engineered the fall of Hydra so that he could take over. If this is the case, then I think the next time the Agents of SHIELD encounter him, it will be as MODOK.
More +
Flag
My guess is that Zola could still be on. Afterall they found Zola / Zola's algorithm in a 70's lab, something that could be easily replicated today in a thumbdrive or an ipad and have better processing power. So the clairvoyant might use zola's algorithm, but he/she could be any agent, THUS making it easier to explain... "Ah they used the zola algorithm as part for the program that the Clairvoyant uses so that's how he/she could have access to our files etc"
Flag
I think that CENTIPEDE is an organization separate from HYDRA. It may possibly be an off-shoot, but I don't think it is HYDRA.

Granted, it was in HYDRA'S best interests to have SHIELD chasing down the makers of the new Extremis serum. Both of it's competitors chasing each other and staying out of HYDRA'S way. HYDRA thinks it will be 'last man standing'; able to sweep in and gather up the scientific achievements of both organizations.

Something I think that Hand won't stand for. She sees herself as the Director. No way will she let HYDRA take away her prize.

I can easily see the HUB becoming the new headquarters of a smaller SHIELD.
Flag
'Gotta disagree with you on the CENTIPEDE thing, especially if the Clairvoyant really turns out to only be a powerless agent with high-level connections in S.H.I.E.L.D.
Still sounds way more likely to me that this was a Hydra project all along, but we'll know for sure soon enough.
Flag
I believe Maria Hill was last seen at the HR offices of Stark Industries so Nick Fury is most likely solo. Captain America: The Winter Soldier pretty much ended S.H.I.E.L.D. as we know it. The big question is , does it rise again from the ashes of its Hydra infested corpse? Hmm.

Very nice tie-in with The Beginning of the End.
Flag
Oh yeah, you're right - Maria got a job at Stark Ind.
Which makes you wonder two things:

1. She just called Tony for the job, right? I mean, she didn't really need to go through an interview first, and just went to HR to get her badge/security clearance/whatever else you can think of...
2. Did going to Stark her own decision or was she sent there by Fury, and, if so, for what purpose?

S.H.I.E.L.D. will rise again, that's a certainty. The thing is, I just do not know when, how, or how involve in this resurrection Team Coulson will get involve.
Flag
2. Did going to Stark her own decision or was she sent there by Fury, and, if so, for what purpose?

That's actually an interesting point, and something I never really thought of. It makes sense, though - if you're trying to raise a true SHIELD again without Hydra corruption, you'll need someone who can supply you with advanced technology. Who else is better to go to than Tony Stark?
Flag
Nick's still pulling strings... Hill going to Stark is just putting his aces in their places. Stark will begin the funding of the new SHIELD, im sure. thats the money and the tech.
Flag
Hammer industries... They could work practically for free.
Flag
lol, but hammer's stuff is totally inferior in every way to Stark. ie: the 'widow maker'. And of course the ceo is a criminal locked up in prison.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members