Tuesday 9:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 23, 2014)

There will be some new faces—and probably some additional punctuation—on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this fall!

With the government coming after S.H.I.E.L.D., Director Coulson will be on the hunt for anyone who can help the team rebuild. Among the newcomers he'll turn to is Lance Hunter—to be played by British actor Nick Blood—who in the comics was the director of S.T.R.I.K.E. "He's not a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, he's a mercenary," executive producer Maurissa Tancharoen announced during the Marvel TV Comic-Con panel on Friday.

Meanwhile, the producers also confirmed that Lucy Lawless will join the cast in Season 2, and revealed a few details about her role: "She's playing a longtime S.H.I.E.L.D. veteran," Tancharoen said. "She's tough. She may have a knife that's always by her side. Her name is Isabel Hartley and you'll be seeing her soon."

On the more villainous side of things, Reed Diamond (Franklin & Bash) will play Hydra baddie Daniel Whitehall, who's otherwise known in the comics as Kraken and who will plague what's left of the team.

Additionally, panel-goers were treated to a sneak peek of Season 2 in which Patton Oswalt plays both Billy Koenig and Sam Koenig—all but confirming the existence of Life Model Decoys in the SHIELD universe. What's more, Sam teased the arrival of Bobbi Morse, a.k.a. Mockingbird:

Meanwhile, there was a small bit of news out of the Agent Carter portion of the panel, including a clip that revealed the newspaper headline, "Is Howard Stark a Traitor?" Unfortunately, executive producer Jeph Loeb declined to confirm whether Tony Stark's father will actually appear on the series.

Agent Carter, which will air in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Tuesday-night time slot while S.H.I.E.L.D. is on its winter hiatus, stars Captain America's Hayley Atwell as the titular agent (first name: Peggy), who finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad in 1946. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve),  she must balance doing administrative work and embarking on secret missions for Howard Stark, all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America in the wake of losing the love of her life, Steve Rogers.

Actual spoilers for Agent Carter were few and far between, other than Atwell revealing that Season 1 will explore more of Peggy's military background and the psychological and emotional cost of Carter trying to found S.H.I.E.L.D. as a woman in 1940s. Also, Captain America: The Winter Soldier directors Joe Russo and Anthony Russo will helm the second and third episodes. Additionally, Captain America: The First Avenger director Joe Johnston is in talks to preside over Episode 4.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2 premieres Tuesday, September 23 at 9pm on ABC.

Next Episode

AIRS ON 9/23/2014

Season 2 : Episode 1

14 Comments
Follow this Show
Members