We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Tuesday 9:00 PM on ABC
One statement “Characters Welcome” has been the tagline for the USA network for a number of years and for a real reason. If you find two or more characters that have good chemistry and that we the audience invest in and have them do their thing week in and week out year after year- people will buy in. White Collar and Burn Notice are two particularly excellent examples of a show taking a simple one line premise (master thief assists FBI in catching his counterparts and a burned spy tries to rebuild his life) and turning it into a long running, thriving series because of the characters themselves.

I think that the expectation going into Agents of SHIELD was that the tone and action would be a direct mirror of the movie series on which the television series would be based. Essentially it would be a fun, lighthearted, action based show that wasn’t especially deep or dramatic (which it doesn’t need to be). I would say that so far that has more or less been exactly what the show has been. However, it definitely feels like something is missing and the most obvious answer is the characters themselves have been very poorly established. I can’t point to a single character on the show so far (besides Coulson – and that is primarily because of the movie appearances) that I am invested in or particularly care about…..yet. And I use the “yet” there because I still have hope that down the line we will be given good reason to care.

Agents of SHIELD desperately needs to take note of how effective The Tomorrow People has been in spending time establishing complex backstories for three major characters in the same number of episodes that have aired of Agents of SHIELD. In The Tomorrow People during normal procedural episodes we have spent at least 20 minutes learning extensive backstories about Stephen, John, and Cara that have made me actually interested in characters that I initially thought might be pretty boring. Agents actually sort of tried this last time with Skye, but even then I didn’t really connect with that story (and that may just be me, I know). Melinda May is stoic and her total character development is summed up by “I want to be back in the field”. Ward is a bit of a perfectionist who had a bad childhood and that is literally all we know about him – and he is extremely bland. Fitz and Simmons have had zero character development – we know literally nothing about them. So again I ask what reason have we been given to care about these characters so far?

Are you particularly invested in any particular character so far?

poll

poll

Comments (113)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I for one enjoy the show because there isn't to much dipping into back stories. Have grown very tired of this soapy approach to shows. I much prefer the focus on missions as that is what the show is about. Having said that Mr Whedon has his own approach and style and in time i'm sure all will be revealed. I think people are being waaay to harsh about this show, for me it's everything I wanted and more.
Flag
It already has 2,088,454 likes on Facebook. So you can't call it a crap show.
Flag
Show delivers. And it delivers quite good. The characters work, standard S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents don't usually fight the super villains (that's what super heroes are for D'uh) and it's the action packed quirky fun I was hoping for. The T.R.A.C.K.S. episode made things even more interesting. Soooo...as taste goes everonye has it's one. The character combination is good. The whole "screw ups screwing" between Ward and May has potential (and Ward did not fuck Skye...what half of you guys expected and wanted) and there will be Lady Sif. So...let it come.
Flag
The characters in this show are really quite annoying:

Phil Coulson: In the movies he was a light-hearted, sympathetic, bureaucratic irritation. In the series only traces of that are left, and instead we see a highly trained professional, a leader, a man of many talents and even more ladies, in short: A stereotypical bore.

Melinda May: Aah yes, the woman of a thousand faces. A highly trained professional, lethal ... aand, yeah that's it.

Grant Ward: Why - the writers may have wondered - give him any kind of personality? The name says it all, shouldn't that be enough?

Skye: The type of girl who calls a nerd to help her "fix" the computer and rewards him with a smile. Plays a hacker. A seriously sexy super-hacker. With a very troubled past. Which doesn't show at all in her demeanor or her personality. Wtf?

Fitz&Simmons: Geniuses. Very bubbly geniuses. What else? Hmm ...

It's not the lack of character development that is an issue for me. It's that none of the characters are remotely interesting. And no background story can save that. Because a background story that sheds light on why characters are like they are is pointless when the characters have no character in the first place.
More+
Flag
The funny thing is that this idealized "tying in with the multimilliondollar movie characters" version of the show that everyone has built up in their minds was never something that was promised and is a completely unrealistic expectation that was/is never going to happen. You people are expecting and demanding WAY too much from a television spinoff of a huge franchise like that and you're deluding yourself if you think even a high profile show like this is going to have the kind of budget that's going to allow for heavy use of 15 million dollar guest stars and the kind of incredibly expensive effects you see in the movies.

Another funny thing is the whining about there never being anything from the comics in the show, because there have been quite a few. It's just that none of you "superfans" have noticed, I guess because they didn't have horribly cheap and ugly costumes and codenames immediately slapped on them.
Flag
The problem with Agents of SHIELD is that it seems totally apart from Marvel universe. Ok, it's a good topic the non-powered agents of SHIELD, but the show would be way better revolving around the relationship between the non-powered agents and the superheroes (and supervillains) of Marvel universe. I think that's what everyone was expecting to see, that's why it's been so disapointing so far. It lacks more interaction with the A-side of Marvel.
Flag
A few character based episodes are very necessary. I sit and watch the show with my kids, and whilst I'm impressed with the amount of money that has been spent on the big set pieces and action sequences those things are candy; that doesn't necessarily make for engaging or good TV. I do want more back story, more insecurities and yes more superheroes/ villans (but only because the issue of 'what does it feel like to be non-super powered and still be expected to take on super humans' has not really been explored.)
I think that the team have also been treated as something 'special' within the wider remit of SHIELD but any frictions caused by this have also been glossed over.
Flag
I think the biggest problem the Agents of Shield has is that it's suppose to be "Marvel's Agents of Shield" and if not for the title, you would be hard put to believe it's part of the Marvel Universe. Where are the Superheroes and Supervillians? Where are even the Super-powered beings that are don't belong to either category? Where are key human supporting cast found in the comic books? We get a few, mostly Shield like Fury, Hill, Sitwell and Hand. But we're almost halfway through the first season and it still not enough. I understand that the creators wanted to focus on the human Shield agents of the Marvel Universe, but it pretty much disappointing the the long-time Marvel fans that this TV version is so far removed from the mythology. It's ironic that the producers haven't learned from shows like Smallville and Arrow, that their success lay in the their bringing in the elements from the established DC Universe mythology albeit modified for television. The fact they respected the mythology and tradition was what brought fans back week after week. I'm sorry to say that I'm not seeing this with Marvel's Agents of Shield. It's not enough that the series references the Avengers, Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Hulk is some ofhand manner. It's not enough that one or two episodes take place after the movies and give it nothing more than a brief mention. In order for Agents of Shield to be part of the Marvel Universe, they have to better connect themselves with the events in the movies and moreso, integrate the parts of the Marvel Universe not covered in the movies into the TV series. The show has some great and really likeable characters with hints of interesting backstories, but this is not enough. This show is suppose to be part of a well-established, well-loved and highly respected mythology with hundred of millions of followers just waiting to see the transition from comic book to small screen. Unless they remedy this soon, Marvel fans will abandon the series and the show will most likely not see a second season.
More+
Flag
I will start by saying that I love the show strictly based on what it is supposed to be about. I will stick with it until the end whether or not it gets any better. That being said, I feel they need to make things a little more interesting. I am hoping that with the start of the second half of the season we will be thrown in to a more tightly woven storyline.

I wanted to like Skye in the beginning. I was really rooting for her. But she has become a whiny baby about finding her parents. I get it, she doesn't know who she is or where she comes from but man up. She is working for S.H.I.E.L.D., a group that basically saves the world everyday. Get your priorities in order and stopping complaining.

I think the fact that Ward and May starting sleeping together all of a sudden was way too soon. They barely say five words to each other over the first few episodes and then all of a sudden they are an item. Totally out of left field. I totally thought they were trying to set up a Ward/Skye thing (which I guess they still could as a triangle/jealousy/rebound thing) but still. May and Ward are just weird. He is trying to be a boyfriend type and May is all like, "No feelings, just sex!" Awkwardness abounds!

Love Fitz-Simmons! So much! But they DO need to have sex! I get that their thing is the sexual tension between them and I like how he got all jealous when she was drooling over Mike Peters. But lets get it over with! (Also, not 100% sure which one is which)

I am interested to see what happened to Coulson while he was "dead." My husband and I have a bet going on! He thinks that Coulson is a robot/life model decoy and/or dinosaur and I think he is a clone! I think that when the second half of the season starts we will be thrown into his story and that would be good.

I think that the show has a lot of potential but the writers are just not quite getting there! They need to work a little harder to make us care. Right now I really only care about Coulson... and Lola!
More+
Flag
I agree with the most of you points, but here are my thoughts:

- I liked Skye right from the beginning too and her parents' issue is a catch (though all of it points towards Coulson, doesn't it?) but right now is something that Skye should put on a second place, as you've said.

- I didn't care about his background story, it passed right through me like air, and I think it's because it came out of nothing. I mean yes, we had seen some hints of Ward's personality back then back we knew nothing about his past, let alone a traumatic one. On the opposite hand, I didn't find awkward that sex night between Ward and Melinda because let's be honest, they're on the BUS for months, not seeing new faces, not having the time/place to develop a romantic relationship with other people than the one on the BUS, so they have to satisfice their needs one way or another, hahaha.

- I love Fitzsimmons too! They're adorables! And love their accents! It had been ages since I felt in love with a (hopefully) couple of fictional characters like I had with these two. But I don't think they need to have sex (at least not yet, hahaha), I think they need to work on their relationship and define what they're (each one as an individual and together as a couple) first. I don't know where that stroke of jealousy that Fitz showed towards Simmons/Peters come from, because Fitz has shown no more than friendly feelings about Jemma, not feelings of love until that (I we consider that jealousy, because he just might want to embarrass Jemma in front of that guy, mocking her).

- And finally, Coulson's death mystery. I just have to say that it's the only thing that keeps me interested right now.

Conclusion: yes, writers have to dive deeper on character's personality and backgrounds in order to develop their stories and keep us interested.
More +
Flag
disagree big time, SKYE is awesome in every way, IMO the story that Coulson gave to Skye about her parents is not fully true another words more to the story which she has a right to know!! as for WARD AND MAY having sex no issues here at all now what do agree with that Coulson is Clone as for Fitz and Simmons they are awesome but not as a couple if they hook up it would hurt their working relationship
Flag
I think they're trying to make Coulson look cooler than he actually was in the Avengers. And he isn't able to pull it off. Ward is stiff and I am waiting for his back story hoping it explains why he's so stiff. May is interesting but this cavalry thing has been stretched out a bit much. Skye is annoying and even though I think they're trying to make her part of the main cast, she is not able to pull it off. I am not able to make myself care about her or her parents. Fitz-Simmons deserve to be spoken off together, since their characters are mostly around the chemistry they share. Somehow, they seem to have the most promise to become promising characters - quirky, scientific, awkward - and interesting (irrespective of their back stories).

I think the idea that a show relying only on back stories to make their characters interesting in itself is flawed...

SHIELD is so far very underwhelming... But, somehow I keep hoping before every episode that THIS one will be amazing...!! So far... sigh :(
Flag
On the second poll, how am I supposed to "choose all that apply" when I can only check one box?
Flag
it let me click more than one, maybe try refresh your screen?
Flag
It let me click more than one, but each click unclicked the previous choice. Refreshing doesn't fix that.
Flag
They can make Sky a guest character. Dude, just bring in Faith from buffy!
Flag
They need some Superheroes there to make this fun! When I first saw Marvel's Agents of SHIELD I was WOW, so cool......but sadly only episode 1 had somewhat of a super power dude in it....where are the heroes and the villains? That thing with the serum research was good - more episodes about that will make me watch it.
Flag
Yeah, now even Ward is becoming likable and interesting.

I'm surprised how many votes Skye got. She's essentially the least interesting and least likable person on this show.

In 1.07, all her scenes were grating. And she's clearly FORCED into scenes. She's not even an agent, unless that one agent ultimately wanted Skype to hack the Hub, there's ZERO reason why Skye would have even been allowed into the Hub. Fury considers Skye merely being part of Coulson's team is a risk.
Flag
Yeah, so far, I feel the only character I dont really care about is Skye. I dont know why, she just isnt interesting at all, her scenes are indeed the worst, i wouldnt mind if they killed her off, sooner rather than later. I'm liking the others so far though, yes, even Ward, dont know why he is so far down and Skye almost on the top.
Flag
Yes I agree they absolutely don't need her on the team. But to be honest she is hot as hell ;)
Flag
Nah, Simmons is more attractive in every way -- looks, personality, loyalty, mentally, etc.
Flag
I happen to like her character. She's a great foil for Ward.
Flag
So much agreement on the Skye issues. In fact, she is the number 2 on my list of worst new characters of this season. I find all her scenes grating!
Flag
Well after episodes 6 & 7 this article seems mute. Two hours of smart action, comedy, dialogue and solid character development have dispelled nearly all my dislikes and fears for this show and put it top of my must watch list. Do you agree?
Flag
I agree but I also miss some character background or depth (why didn't Simmons want to talk to her parents after she survived the Chitauri virus (1x08)? What was Fitz thinking/feeling in that last scene of FZZT?)
Flag
i will be honest, after the disappointment of the first episode the only reason i came back is because i realized that Fitz was the kid from the Fades which was excellent and he was excellent in it, so i'll watch a little for him!
I also like his character and Simmons, to be honest my biggest problem is Coulson who i never cared for and know he is trying to play it cool and it's just boring and annoying
Flag
I think the reason why they didn't put all the focus on character development in the beginning is because Joss Whedon did that with Firefly and the show got canceled quick, then he did it with Dollhouse for many episodes and the show struggled so much and was eventually canceled because people stopped watching without waiting for the show to actually start. And even though it has nothing to do with the current situation, Angel was also canceled when it was doing well in ratings and everything. Whedon is a really unlucky guy and I think he was really worried of getting canceled again, so he tried something different this time. He's trying to do character development through struggles rather than endless talking, and last night's episode was a good example of that. The character development has been improving lately, so I think it'll all be okay. Don't forget that people who always complain and stop watching a show early are the reason that good shows eventually get canceled, so I never take those people seriously.
Flag
I think SHIELD is doing pretty good.Unlike this post.
Flag
you know what isn't working now? this article!
Flag
Well, the last episode -- 1.06 -- made this page irrelevant. All the show needed was good writing.

This show would have benefited from having a 2-hour pilot so that the world could be established. The show finally made us clear about Fitz and Simmons. It put SImmons in danger and it showed just how important they are to each other.

With Fitz, they can explore more with Fitz's problem about being seen as a 'nerd' and not being as 'cool' and James Bondy as Ward is. I thought it was a nice thing that perhaps Ward and Simmons are attracted to each other.

Sky is still entitled. She just expects everyone to almost instantly forgive her for her wrongdoing.

Anyway, Fitz and Simmons are also shown to be brave and heroic when they need to be.

We still need to care about Ward. And May needs some character development.
Flag
Well, it is working! If you wand BLAND characters and even BLANDER adventures. I don't know what i expected from this show. But i expected more than what i'm getting. I will keep watching because the show improves a bit each week. The "P" word rears its ugly head again. "Potential is here it just has be unleashed! Hey Shield writers i'll give you an idea..give a the team more focus! Maybe a couple of the aliens survived from the New York battle..They weren't plugged in to the "command ship?"( easy cop out..but i digress!!) They are running free on earth trying to wreck S#%@ up! or if you want to go deep have a group of Skrulls infiltrating Earth to get background on the Shield and the Avengers..As some have said it doesn't have to have Superheroes but i want to feel at least like its part of the Marvel Universe.
Flag
The show has been getting better with each episode, especially in terms of character development. My main issue with the show is that I don't feel like I'm in the Marvel universe. The show can be a chance to bring in other elements from the comics and expand the universe beyond the movies. The show isn't great yet but it was never so bad I'd give up on it and it's definitely on an upward trend in terms of quality.
Flag
While I do enjoy the show (especially Coulson, he has a je ne c'est quoi) I think it does need to get on the ball as far as character development, but I have faith in anything created by Joss, I just fear that if it's too late, it won't last. I'm just basking in the fact that 6 nights out of the week I have something sci fi or supernatural to watch, until 11/23 and then I'll have Dr. Who. Really hoping that it gets into its groove before they decide to pull the plug, as they so often do.

From now on Joss Whedon and co. really need to stick to pitching shows to the cable networks: FX, USA, maybe even go crazy and try for Showtime or HBO.
Flag
I really like the show and think that the apparent disappointment is greatly due to excessive expectations. When the show was first announced people started to create the show in their minds and when the show came it wasn't quite like they imagined it. It's mostly their fault for imagining too much based on a show title... worst yet, people were asking and guessing which heroes would appear in the show, while the name says "Agents of shield" its not about superheroes.
Flag
This isn't must-watch TV for me yet (that is, I'm not anxiously looking forward to each episode appearing on Hulu), which in and of itself is disappointing for a Whedon show, but I wouldn't say it's a failure, by any means.

Comparatively speaking, I'm enjoying SHIELD much more so far, than I enjoyed the first season of Grimm, or the second season of OUAT. And I kept watching both of those shows (and, at least in Grimm's case, was very glad I did). I expect this will be much the same. Whedon shows just sometimes take a little while to get off the ground (S1 of Buffy, for example, wasn't nearly as good as S2 or S3).

Part of that is simply a love of the source material. I love the Marvel universe. I love the people in that universe. I love the interconnectedness of it. I love how, in the hands of a good writer, there is so much potential for really good characters. And I do really like these characters, Coulson (because of this show, not just because of the movies) and Skye particularly, but also FitzSimmons and I don't get why nobody seems to like Ward! Sure he's stuffy, but so was S1 Giles (in a completely different way, of course), not to mention Angel in S1 of Buffy, and Giles turned into one of Buffy's most lovable characters.

I guess my point is, I feel that S1 of this show is doing its job. It's not S1 of Lost, by any stretch, but it is keeping us involved until the show finds its feet.
More+
Flag
This show isn't working because it seems completely miscast. Kind of hard to even care about character development when your cast is filled with newbies that aren't in the slightest bit intriguing. When you are 5 episodes in and your handsome man, Grant, is the least interesting piece of the puzzle you can see that this writing staff - which I had all the hope in the world could pull this off- either has nothing to work with in this cast filled with stiffs or they are really dropping the ball.

All I know is this, 'Arrow' is the best comic book adaptation going at present. Comparing the two would be like comparing 'The Dark Knight' to 'Shazam' (OK 'Shazam' was better than S.H.I.E.L.D. also but you get the idea) Hopefully 'SHIELD' can fix its problems and move past them but again, this is a really awful cast with the exception of Clark Gregg (who really isn't that great). About ready to dump this show.

Flag
To be honest, SHIELD is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not saying there's no room for improvement but that, personally, I don't need it to enjoy the show.
Flag
the characters do need some work, i'll give you that, but tomorrow people really? I found that show to be very predictable and mundane. I prefer Agents over Tomorrow People any time!
Flag
It's not like I can compare them myself: I don't watchany of those.

If I were to compare SHIELD with shows I actually watch, it would have to be with Sleepiy Hollow but its not about a team and its not about the middle man - Coulson, Simmons, Fitz, etc. - either.
Flag
I'm not sure what the rest of you are watching but it's working for me. It just keeps getting better with every episode. It's exactly what I was expecting. The further you go the more you know. This show is evolving much quicker that let's say Lost. I wasn't discouraged by being in the dark for what seemed like years with it and I see no difference here. After each episode I'm left with a hunger for more. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?
Flag
I agree completely. I came into this show with only a superficial knowledge/background of the Marvel "family" of superheroes. I've not seen any of the movies except Captain America. So I'm enjoying the discovery of the characters even if they are exposed piecemeal. We've got a team of agents from various backgrounds and abilities who are still coming together as team, learning each other's capabilities and weaknesses.
Flag
Isn't there a big overarching villain with those people using the Iron Man 3 serum to make villains? Pretty sure one of them escaped in that last episode about it.
Flag
I disagree, I think the characterizations are working well and am becoming very invested in the story. The fact that the main story arc is about a "wikileaks-like character" such as Skye makes it very relevant to what is currently happening in the world. And the more subtle Coulson mystery is very compelling. I guess I don't like all my mysteries solved in the first few episodes. I'm very curious about May, but at the same time, I don't necessarily want to know everything about her by the end of the season.
Flag
I think they are deliberately holding the backstories in check to try and build some suspense around those characters. Particularily May. We know she had some kind of huge trauma but the details haven't been revealed yet. I expect there will be an episode soon that focuses on her.
Flag
I think quite a few people have made a strong case for the shows character development choices so far. I don't think the issues just fall completely with the show, but also the expectations of so many viewers. Too many people went into this show expecting to connect with characters instantly and have it feel like a fully developed Joss Whedon show right off the bat.

I'm currently watching the first season of Buffy, and while I admit that Xander and Willow are easier to connect with, neither has been flushed out much, if at all, over the first season. And yeah, most of Buffy's first season was sort of procedural, displaying a different villain every week. However, I'll admit, there is an overarching villain in Buffy's first season.

And I think that is what the show is lacking right now. There's no big, overarching plot or villain. without knowing an endgame, it's a little hard to be excited for a major plot to develop.

I also don't understand the case being made for The Tomorrow People because I've never watched it, but I'd say most shows don't have time or stories that convieniently allow for that much character development.

More+
Flag
Sorry, but I disagree on the premise established in the intro. To me, the problem of this series is the fact that it IS lighthearted and easy. It has NO gravitas. And without going "Chuck" on us, it will also never be enough fun to be... well, really fun. It will also never have enough CGI to help us forget that it has no gravitas (liko SOOOOOO many Hollywood movies now days). Basically, it's a show that's in nowhereland and that comes from the fact that the tone of the show was fumbled.
Flag
To be honest, I only liked Simmons at first because Fitz did. I figured there must have been something about her that engaged him in this married couple dynamic of theirs.

It wasn't until she was about to die that I started to like Simmons for who she was, I felt bad about Fitz because she would leave this huge hole in his life, but I wanted for Coulson to back her up because it was her, for Ward to rescue her because it was her and for Skye to hug her because it was her.
Flag
Yep best scene of the entire season, Fitz looking over her shoulder and then sacrificing herself to save Simmons and everyone, if only they could have more of that.

Everyone who's playing Devil's advocate for this show says expectations were too high or hasn't had time to develop etc. The problem is there are shows that exceed expectations and do engage the audience by this stage.

It's a kids show with flying cars, pouty hackers and wholesome values, how many times can they take out machine gun toting bad guys without harming them?
Flag
Why isn't it working? Because of terrible cliched writing, terrible acting, plots that we don't really care about and nothing really to look forward to.

I also hear people mention something about "humor" on this show, but I have not cracked a smile on it once...

It's basically the emperor's new clothes (or whatever you call it in English) and once people stop driving themselves mad over ZOMG IT'S THE AVENGERS it will be forgotten.
Flag
I like Simmons, but that's primarily based on the fact that she referenced Hermione Granger in the first episode and I loved that. Every episode I hope I'm going to learn more about at least one of the characters, but it just doesn't happen.
This episode was a bit better though - at least they didn't spend more than a handful of minutes on the victims. I feel like they've spent way too much time per episode focusing on the victims/villains.
Flag
The show is ok, but ok is not enough for me right now. I just wanted more. I can't connect with the show as it has many problems:

1. It's completely overhyped
2. This doesn't feel like a Joss Whedon show right now
3. Yes we don't know stuff about characters, but I think the bigger problem is that the actors aren't as great as on other Joss Whedon shows
4. They are making puns are mentioning the movie stuff, but with no payoff!
5. The storylines aren't that engaging, adn the actors not strong enough to carry a mediocre story
6. There isn't much sense of danger, as it feels like an ABC family show, not as a kickass Marvel show
7. The tone is too light, I like fun and silly but not all the time. Are they agants or a comedic troupe
8. No hint on the story arc of the season

and we can add more problems and things not to like do to point 1. People just want more from this show.
Flag
"8. No hint on the story arc of the season" - seriously? The Rising Tide, Coulson's return, and project Centipede would be three. Though you're right, they weren't hinted at ... they were clearly given.
Flag
I absolutely agree with every single word you said.
I'd just like to add to #2

2. This doesn't feel like a Joss Whedon show right now

Because it isn't. He isn't really involved in it, just gave his name to create a hype.
Flag
Similar to Coulson, I only care about Skye because she was on Nashville. I think your analysis is spot on. I read a great comparison of SHIELD and early Buffy over on Pajiba which raised some great points about the character *types*, but failed to address the difference between how we feel about Fitz and Simmons, for example, versus how immediately interesting Willow and Xander were.
Flag
So far I am not impressed with this show, and it really doesn't feel like a Joss Whedon show up till now.
The character development is not the only problem, and the truth is I can't quite point out what exactly isn't working for me.
Flag
I find the show watchable, surely not something really good because it has a bunch of issues like mediocre acting, convenient writing, irritating coincidences, frustrating cliches and more. But lack of character development is not one of them. Sure, it's not the pace some of us are accustomed to but it's not nonexistent...
Flag
SHIELD isn't working? maybe to you,I read up on it and knew ahead of time it wasn't going to be another Avengers and it's still one of the best new shows in my line up
Flag
I disagree with the statement that the show isn't working; that it lacks character development. Each episode, we learn more about the characters. The show delivered on what it was promised to be: Not every hero is 'Super'. These are the people who deal with the out of the ordinary and try to head off the next 'Mandarin'. Live action comic book at it's best.
Flag
i like the show so far and can`t agree. i think it`s good, that it progresses slowly and just doesn`t forcefully dump everything on us.
the characters have time to develop and if necessery change in a way that isn`t totally out of character.

Flag
I'm thinking about The Walking Dead, one of the greatest Carol-Rick episode didn't happen overnight, but after the audience was complicit in everything there's to know about her daugher, his wife, her husband, his watch, their lives and, ultimately, her watch.

It worked because, by the time they did have an episode, the characters had several pieces to make sense of their interaction together. And that can't be the case if we demand the same character interaction from SHIELD long before the show gives its characters the pieces for said interaction together, I feel we have the right pace so I'm confident a greatest episode for so and so its coming.
Flag
While it wasn't all up front in the series obviously, the character development complaints are increasingly moot. The most recent episode FZZT covered Fitz/Simmons very nicely. Ward's character development sneaks out in tiny doses in each episode (which is fitting his otherwise stoic nature as he's unlikely to open up if he can help it). Skye was the big opener and her back story is the bigger on going arc. Coulson we've got covered. That really just leaves May - and considering how many other folks are in the mix - she can wait.
Flag
I also disagree with this statement, we've seen the start of some very good characters and the fact that the characters aren't fully fleshed out is a good thing. If we had it all at once there would be no reason to continue watching. Having a bit of mystery is a good thing people. Non of Joss Whedon's works were instant hits either such as FIREFLY but guess what it's the most desired show to go back on the air. If there's anything we know about Whedon is that you can never underestimate what he's capable of. This is only the beginning after all!
Flag
"Is the lack of character development an issue for you so far?"

That's known as begging the question, isn't it?
Flag
I disagree that it's not working. If this were any other show with any other creative force behind it, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I think the main problem is the show existing in the Marvel universe and the expectations that come with it. I am personally happy with the level of characterization we've had to this point. The characters on Buffy weren't fleshed out overnight. It all happened gradually over time and I don't think S.H.I.E.L.D. will be any different. We just all want instant gratification.
Flag
Good point, just because I feel more attached to Coulson and Fitz-Simmons doesn't mean I have to demand and episode focussed only on them every week.

Phil won me over over the course of several Iron Man movies and a couple of featurettes, I didn't even knew what his first was until the writers killed him off, so I shouldn't expect instant gratification from the rest of the team's backgrounds.
Flag
It's a lot harder not to want that instant gratification since it's a lot easier for us to get now. I have found myself getting slightly frustrated a few times. But I fully trust Joss and the team he assembled (haha, see what I did there...... completely unintentional I promise) to give us those compelling stories and backgrounds to those characters over time.
Flag
Well ep 6 sure had good character stuff. I don't know that we need "backstory" so early on, we'll get their full bios over time. "F.Z.Z.T." was all about the characters and showed a lot about them esp the 2 tech-heads w/o much/any actual backstory, and Tomorrow People bores the hell outta me, so I hope they don't take note of it ;)
No, my main complaint of SHIELD is when they try to do as failed shows like Heroes and No Ordinary Family (ABC's prior "superhero" shows) did and try to be all "mysterious" about some shadowy evil organization and their efforts to control/enhance super-powered people. And then we get to watch all that "mystery" go nowhere, until maybe the season finale. That's what's really boring imho [NCIS has actual mystery, shows like Lost, Heroes, etc try to be "mysterious" and are just frustratingly decompressed w/often unsatisfying payoffs, at least to me. I want SHIELD to stay far away from that; it'd help if Loeb (who learned all the wrong lessons from Heroes' failure apparently) was not attached to this show]
Flag
Agree with you on the Tomorrow people. It's been just a chore watching so far. Although I am willing to stick around for a full season to see if it turns it around.
Flag
Well, I wish you luck with that, as you can tell I've gotten quite frustrated with all the "modern" superhero shows.
Cool Clara "Oswin" Oswald pic btw :)
Flag
Thanks!
I always give sci-fi shows a chance. Even real stinkers like that "hit" last summer which I shall not name lest I be guilty of promoting it even more.
Flag
@sluu3p18 yeah Tennant's my 2nd fav since he's the most like Tom Baker's in the modern ones :) much like w/TNG, I was shown Who by my parents when I was younger, and my dad had watched 4th Dr (Tom Baker) back when it was on, so that was my 1st Who exposure too. I'd been watching modern Who off-and-on but after snowmen ep I started watching in earnest :)
Flag
@ZekkJedi
Tenant's my favorite Doctor (I only started watching with Eccleston - he's in Thor 2 by the way)
Flag
Your Welcome; she's the reason I got back into watching Who, and it's been sooo good lately :) [Tom Baker's still my favorite Doctor though ;) actually a part of what I like bout Clara is that she's a bit like a modern Sarah Jane]
Ha, yeah if it's the one I think you mean I didn't mind it, but yeah it wasn't "great" or anything. I grew up on ST: TNG so I love Sci-fi stuff, but we don't really have any good ones atm [aside from Who] (unless you count SHIELD; and only if it keeps improving)
Flag
I don't think it's not working. The show is entertaining and action filled. Character development will be slow, but it will come; we're getting snippets of what may have happened to Coulson, and in the last episode we got an insight into Skye, so you know that development is coming; they can't develop ALL the characters at the same time, so it will be a while before we get background and details on May and Ward; FitzSimmons is the comic relief so I don't expect much there.
Also, to those who want this to be a superhero series, it's called AGENTS of S.H.I.E.L.D., not Superheroes of S.H.I.E.L.D. nor, ahem, The Avengers.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members