Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The Bridge

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Dec 10, 2013 on ABC

• Sparks of life, at last....

Well this was better than what has gone before but not by much. However there are tiny buds of growth in there that, with a little love and care, might grow to make a good series.

First of all, Peterson came back and he made the group cohere for the first time. Coulson only works in conjunction with his super heroes and Peterson is his very own (almost) Captain America. Going up against super soldiers, aliens and gods, Peterson is the equalizer they need. Now they look the business rather than the clean-up squad.

Secondly they played the big bad card but gave a hint of something much bigger. How come Centipede is always way ahead of them? They knew exactly where to spot and shoot Agent Handsome, for example . It feels, to me, like the power behind Centipede is SHIELD, or at least a rogue element of it. Are we moving towards HAMMER here?

Lastly, Coulson's kidnap. I saw this betrayal coming but it made it nonetheless satisfying because it makes Peterson a believable hero (and no, I don't buy that he's dead).

The big hints about Coulson's regeneration might be leading us to a really big reveal. Hitherto I've been leaning towards Asgardian super-medicine but now I'm wondering if Coulson IS actually an android and about to turn into The Vision given the pointed dialogue about his ex-gf being a cellist. Just a thought but we know the Scarlet Witch is scheduled for the next AVENGERS film.

Of course, this is all moot unless SHIELD now picks up the pace and survives until AVENGERS II.....