Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The Hub

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 12, 2013 on ABC

• Needed: a laser not the Xmas tree lights...

I'm going to persist with SHIELD because it's from the Whedonverse and that usually works itself out somewhere down the line. Right now, this is ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD to Shakespeare's HAMLET ie its under-powered peripheral characters are centre-stage and the super-heroes are elsewhere. I recall. in a different context, the opening season of FRINGE which couldn't quite find its vibe until the Alternate Universe came into focus and all those insane versions of the same character arrived on-screen. SHIELD has the same problem. It needs an enemy as amazing as itself, the same way THE MAN FROM UNCLE (SHIELD'S grandfather) didn't click unless they came up against THRUSH. Where is HYDRA? Where is the insurrection that leads to HAMMER? How about an alternate universe where it's HAMMER instead of SHIELD (the characters could even have the requisite goatee beard-even the male ones). The series lacks focus and purpose. It needs an overarching arc and the Coulson and Skye mysteries are too small to do it. As for Coulson, yeah I guess he could be a LMD or a clone (even with added scar) but he keeps saying "it was a magic place" so I'm guessing some nifty Asgardian super-medicine.