Marvel's Avengers Assemble Forums

Sunday 11:00 AM on Disney XDIn Season

Season 1 Discussion

RaizenYusuke

[1]Jul 10, 2013
    • level: 28

Talk about the first season here.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

WicthBalder

[2]Jul 23, 2013
    • level: 4

What is up the random letter-boxing during an episode?

RaizenYusuke

[3]Jul 24, 2013

You know I've never noticed that before. Now I'm going to have look for it next episode.

Captain America fighting alongside Dracula in WWII so fucking absurdly awesome. I don't know why, but liked it for some reason. Hulk's line about lightning being as good as sun light made me chuckle. At least the episodes are improving. The next episode doesn't grab me. Justin Hammer fights the Avengers in his own armor. Meh, I liked it for Iron Man: Armored Adventures though. I might like it this time.

MajLorne

[4]Jul 25, 2013
    • level: 21
    WicthBalder wrote:

What is up the random letter-boxing during an episode?

yes i noticed this as well. They seem to do this sorta like for dramatic effects or something. It does get annoying when they do that along with the comics panneling.

Yaspaa

[5]Jul 25, 2013
    • level: 79
    I was so pissed at Marvel's Avengers getting cancelled I wasn't ready to embrace a new show, but this is good stuff, in fact it's the only cartoon I can watch.

perualonso1

[6]Jul 28, 2013
    • level: 18

This show is turning out good so far.

I've just seen the Super Adaptoid episode. And guess what? Justin Hammer is voiced by Kid Flash in Young Justice.

Can't wait to hear from more great voice actors. Hopefully, Will Friedle and Jason Marsden will be heard, too.

Avengers Assemble is amazing!

Edited on 08/05/2013 2:37pm

MajLorne

[7]Jul 28, 2013
    My one issue with the ep was Hammer looked too much like Hawkeye with his face on that android. Not that I am against them making him younger, but then again I'm still getting used to hawkeye just wearing glasses instead of a mask/hood.
    For hammer, even that android seemed too advanced on his own. I am to assume he had help before his 'audition'? Also does it seem this episode was aired out of order? Why did skull not need to wear the armor in blood feud and where was Widow in this ep? *

*not that I expect everyone in every episode, but at least throw a line of 'so and so' is on a mission...

RaizenYusuke

[8]Aug 3, 2013

Black Widow is agent of Shield too. When she's not appearing in episodes it's probably safe to assume she is out on another Shield mission. I think Hammer and his company made the Super Adaptoid on their own. I believe he really is good at making weapons. I just think Hammer's company is just usually behind Stark's company for weapons game, but every once in a while he can make something as impressive as the Adaptoid.

I did like the episode. It had some funny one liners. It was another Captain America episode. I did like the story since it touched on Steve's man out of time story. It was good to parallel it with Hammer's Super Adaptoid. It proved the misconception that Captain Americarefuses to adapt when in reality has.I liked the episode showcased Steve has some problemswith modern technology that he can learn how to use it. Like the A: EMH this episode showed that Steve values old ways and they are still useful. As his reading manuals, books, and taking notes and memorizingthinks mentally were useful.It had the beloved Tony and Steve dynamic.

I enjoyed theCaptain America storyline, but he did get Draculaepisode too that wasbefore this one.None of the other characters really got development in this episode.In two spot light episodes onCapt is good, but I hope the spot light onanother characters next. 2 in a row is fine, but 3 would be pushing it for me. So far we've had2 Tony episodes, 1 Sam episode, a Thor episode, and 2Steve episodes. Iwant see spot light and development on Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Hulk. They are still kind of flat. Thor is a bit flat too despite his character episode. Another thing I had issue with was the series hasn't done a good job justifying Tony being the leader. He does some cool stuff, but he's kind leader in name only.This episode showed reason why Steveshould be the leader of the team. It's not like Tony can't be a leader. I just think trying to reproduce the RDJ version of Tony is a bad choice to have as leaderfor a team. Tony Stark in 90s cartoon or even Armored Adventures series had personalitiesto make good leaders.Marvelmovies isn't even trying to make Tony a leader in the movies. His character development just hasn't reached that point where he can be a leader. That's the flaw of emulating RDJ performanceand making Tony the leader of the Avengers without character development for it.

Another issue I had was the Steve being a man out of time seemed a bit odd for this universe. The Avengers formed before and broke up before the series started. Steve should have been in the 21st century for some time now. They should know he's adapted to some of it by now. Just cause he doesn't want armor is no reason to believe he is afraid of technology. All in all a good episode. It's getting better with each episode. IMO it is something Ultimate Spider-Man should adapt to.

MajLorne

[9]Aug 3, 2013
    Great points. Plus he is pretty adaptable himself as well as having good recall memory as he knows his team's 'weakness'. He could use some tech, but he's also got a point about sticking to the basics. I'm not too bothered about steve just sticking to 'low tech'.
    Widow, yeah, but i still think it looked like they switched the 2 eps. But with the stand alone nature, i guess it doesn't matter. I do hope they give her an episode so she doesn't end up as the token chick. As annoying as I thought wasp was, at least she stood out (even if she was annoying).
    Sam, I don't really resent him as much as he isn't as annoying as he could've been as the noobie, so I'll give him a chance.

Agreed on Thor, even if this show has some connections to EMH, I'm not really getting much from his portrayal here. He could use maybe the enchantress or other of his more known villains to face.

RaizenYusuke

[10]Aug 5, 2013

I liked the Hyperion episode for the most part. Hyperion was a terrifying villain when you think about it. Superman with god complex is always terrifying though. Since the guy is a Superman expy its appropriate to use him to show the time honored question on why don't superheroes just solve all the world's problems and kill villains. There was less comedy in this episode too, which was improvement over earlier episodes where the Avengers are fighting over cookies.

Thor still feels too flat for me. I hate to make comparisons to EMH characters and stories yet because it's only 7 episodes in, but Thor in AA feels flat compared to A: EMH Thor. We got mini-episode that explained who Thor was and rounded him out in EMH before the main series started, so I might not be fair to compare. On the other hand in 7 episodes into EMH they introduced characteristics for Thor and he came off as lovable, intelligent (he was only ignorant of 21st century stuff since he only re-appeared to Earth again recently), warrior, who wanted to lend a hand and help people. This Thor so far is one dimensional. He loves to fight and crack jokes. That's about it. In this episode where other characters like Iron Man, Captain America, and Black Widow showed more depth it really stood out for me.

Hulk could stand to be developed a bit beyond muscle as well. I think it was a mistake to completely ignore Banner angle. We all love the Hulk, but taking away Banner makes him a bit of a one note. EMH did was have a Hulk and Bruce Banner who got past the issues and worked together. Maybe that's what's happening with this Hulk as well, but would like some mention of Bruce or have him appear in the future. Hawkeye is a love it and hate it for me. Some scenes he is genuinely funny with his wise cracks and other scenes it feels like he's trying too hard. It's better than the Hawkeye in the movies who is deadpan. I think the problem is he's not as witty as the past incarnations of the character. Captain America and Iron Man feel like the most rounded out characters in the series so far. Sam is cool too and not so much as a one note character at least. Black Widow is too much like Hawkeye for me. After a movie and a cartoon where she was a really kick ass spy and complex character seeing a less complex Widow is just disappointing.

The next episode Modock comes back with the Super Adaptoid. That was faster than I expected. Not surehow I feel about it from the previews. Looks like it could be good or bad.

RaizenYusuke

[11]Aug 11, 2013

Not a fan of Molecule Kid episode. The premise was good and the Molecule Kid himself wasn't really bad. Black Widow and Hawkeye's constant bickering got annoying and the pay off wasn't as big as I would have liked. They learned to work together in the end I guess. Maybe the lesson would have been better if Iron Man, Falcon, and Captain America didn't come in to save the day and forced them to work together. Hawkeye and Black Widow are good characters, but the bickering angle they have is good to an extent. A whole episode of them doing it to the point where its a problem on the mission, especially in this episode it could get tiring. Hope they get better development in the future. It's not on the level as Captain America centric episodes or even the Iron Man ones. Honestly it was a step down from last week's episode with Hyperion.

MajLorne

[12]Aug 12, 2013
    The part where it was all about helping the kid made it feel like one of those 'afternoon specials'. "let's make the kid feel better about himself" etc. I'm all for an episode that focuses on the non superpowered members of the team, but the constant bickering (without humor) angle just killed it (i mean in the bad way). Widow in EMH was more stoic (yes she was undercover at the time), but here she has too much personality like if she was more like wasp.
    The adaptoid was brought back too soon and looks like it is done given the team captured it, unless it was replicated.
    The only interesting part I found was the new design for the aim agents where it doesn't look like they have a full radiation type head cover and that it goes up like a face mask.

ZekkJedi

[13]Sep 19, 2013
    • level: 8

yeah the Molecule Kid ep is a prime example of how this show always zigs when it should zag (except for that Hyperion ep; that was good):they have a joke of a villain (seriously in comics too he's super lame) with some real nightmare fuel potential to his powers, and they turn it into an after-school special?! with some random kid of the real villain?! Molecule Man himself only features in flashbacks where he mainly uses his powers like a lite beer form of Magneto, just ripping up times square w/o any lasting damage?! wtf Marvel?! And as has already been said every single character was wasted in that episode

Edited on 09/19/2013 7:25pm

ZekkJedi

[14]Sep 19, 2013

MajLorne wrote:
    My one issue with the ep was Hammer looked too much like Hawkeye with his face on that android. Not that I am against them making him younger, but then again I'm still getting used to hawkeye just wearing glasses instead of a mask/hood. For hammer, even that android seemed too advanced on his own. I am to assume he had help before his 'audition'? Also does it seem this episode was aired out of order? Why did skull not need to wear the armor in blood feud and where was Widow in this ep? * *not that I expect everyone in every episode, but at least throw a line of 'so and so' is on a mission...
    of course I'm agreeing with you again MajLorne on all your points Yeah, my working theory is that the closer Hawkeye is drawn to Ultimates Hawkeye (in comics or toons) the closer he acts to Ultiamtes Hawkeye aka: a douche! the biggest one in the room. At least he's using a bow, not guns [I really hate Ultimates >(]

that's why Clint in USM was so much worse than he is here

closest thing to an exception to this rule is the current Hawkeye series, but he's drawn far better there and usually in streeetclothes so I'm still saying my theory hasn't been disproven

Edited on 09/19/2013 8:12pm

ZekkJedi

[15]Sep 19, 2013

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    ...Tony Stark in 90s cartoon or even Armored Adventures series had personalitiesto make good leaders.Marvelmovies isn't even trying to make Tony a leader in the movies. His character development just hasn't reached that point where he can be a leader. That's the flaw of emulating RDJ performanceand making Tony the leader of the Avengers without character development for it.

Another issue I had was the Steve being a man out of time seemed a bit odd for this universe. The Avengers formed before and broke up before the series started. Steve should have been in the 21st century for some time now. They should know he's adapted to some of it by now. Just cause he doesn't want armor is no reason to believe he is afraid of technology. All in all a good episode. It's getting better with each episode. IMO it is something Ultimate Spider-Man should adapt to.

agreed and hooray for Armored Adventures; another show I miss (got 90s IM-toon coming from the library; it's one of the few Marvel toons I haven't yet seen in it's entirety [caught some eps when I was younger though])

PS on the Cap not being leader thing I replied to the thread you started on that

Edited on 09/19/2013 7:45pm

ZekkJedi

[16]Sep 19, 2013

MajLorne wrote:
    Great points. Plus he is pretty adaptable himself as well as having good recall memory as he knows his team's 'weakness'. He could use some tech, but he's also got a point about sticking to the basics. I'm not too bothered about steve just sticking to 'low tech'. Widow, yeah, but i still think it looked like they switched the 2 eps. But with the stand alone nature, i guess it doesn't matter. I do hope they give her an episode so she doesn't end up as the token chick. As annoying as I thought wasp was, at least she stood out (even if she was annoying). Sam, I don't really resent him as much as he isn't as annoying as he could've been as the noobie, so I'll give him a chance. Agreed on Thor, even if this show has some connections to EMH, I'm not really getting much from his portrayal here. He could use maybe the enchantress or other of his more known villains to face.
    sadly as you and I've talked on elsewhere she's very much the "token chick" in this show so disappointing >( yeah I was annoyed by Wasp for most of the 1st season, but she grew on me once I realized that it's really who she is not just some bad writing b/c "token chick" Jan really is that outgoing and wanting to help people, even without the training/exp/...the others bring she works that hard to as you said "stand out"; this also gave her the blessing and curse of being the "everyman" character on the team and only once we had other female regulars for her to play off of did I realize all this

Oh also exactly on Cap; there was a fanfic I read (I never even read fanfics till Avengers film happened [and I've still only ever read Avengers ones] ) that showed that well and even made a point of how easily Cap's adapted to Jarvis and all the monitoring tech (and that wasn't even the point of the fic, it was about him helping Nat and Clint cycle down from mission mode, weeks later, after all the events of the film)

Yeah, it's been obvious since the pilot that any "connection" to EMH is just vague assertions meant to placate fans who know how inferior this is

Edited on 09/19/2013 8:04pm
    Edited 4 total times.

ZekkJedi

[17]Sep 19, 2013
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    ...Black Widow is too much like Hawkeye for me. After a movie and a cartoon where she was a really kick ass spy and complex character seeing a less complex Widow is just disappointing. ...
    once again Raizen you sum it up perfectly and in one sentence (something I could never do; I talk too much)
    and agreed on all the rest you said in your post

WicthBalder

[18]Oct 12, 2013
    • level: 4

The action is great in this show but it has problems. The characters are somewhat unlikable, the episodes are a little lame and it won't shut up about the movie. Enough with the references WE GET IT the Avengers movie was well done. STOP OVEREXPOSING THE MOVIE.

RaizenYusuke

[19]Nov 3, 2013

The Impossible Man episode was shameless rehash of the movie in comedy form. It wasn't my favorite episode. I felt it was a bad episode to give Falcon's second character episode. I liked Space Phantom episode better as a Falcon episode, it was subtler than this one on developing Falcon IMO.

So far I've liked it. There were some downs and ups for the series so far. Doomstroy and Impossible Man episodes were not my favorite and felt bad. I did like the Hulk episodes with Atuma and the one with Hulked out Avengers. I think those did show more depth to Hulk, mentioned Banner, and showed us Hulk can do more than just smash. I liked the bonding Black Widow and Hulk did. The series is better than I expected it to be. Out of the three Marvel shows on now, Ultimate Spider-Man, Hulk and the Agents of Smash, and Avengers Assemble the Avengers is the best. Falcon is way more likable than Sam/Nova and Rick Jones/A-Bomb.