A Marvel's Daredevil Community
Friday 12:00 AM on Netflix

Superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes!!!

All anyone wants these days are superheroes. Put 'em on the big screen! Put 'em on a lunchbox! Put 'em on your kid's underwear! Use them to spackle that crack in the bathtub! Yes, build a superhero anything, and an audience will come running with a fistful of cash. Your latest media entity to jump on the trend? Netflix!

The video-streaming service has partnered with Disney/Marvel Television in a newly announced deal that will bring four Marvel-branded live-action series and one big-event miniseries to Netflix beginning in 2015 and rolling out over several years. The superpeople at the center of the series will be Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage. Each series will have a 13-episode run, and once those have been released, all four characters will reunite for a The Defenders miniseries. Yes, this is that 60-episode Marvel deal that was swirling around the rumor drain last month. 

Now if you're like me, then you don't know your Spider-Man from your Spider-Girl from your Spider-Spider, so let's run down who these weirdos are:

Daredevil – You know Daredevil as Ben Affleck. Well, Affleck played him in the 2003 film. Daredevil, born Matt Murdock, was blinded by radioactive sludge at a young age, and though his sight was taken from him, his remaining senses went boffo and now he has the abilities of echolocation, heightened atheticism, and uhhhh... super taste? And in some iterations of the character, Daredevil has a dark side too: He's a lawyer! 

Jessica Jones – This perty lady also became super from comics' go-to well of power-sourcing: radioactive material! A former classmate of Peter Parker, Jones used her abilities of flight (which she was never good at controlling), super strength, and temporary invulnerability to give the superhero thing a shot... but it didn't work out so well. So she chose a safer line of work and became a private detective. Spoiler: Later in life, she would go on to marry Luke Cage. 

Luke Cage – This dude started out as a petty thief, but was sent to the big house after being framed by a former friend for a crime he didn't commit. In prison, he underwent an experimental cell-regeneration procedure that went awry and gave him super strength, impervious skin, and accelerated healing abilities. As you already know if you read what I just said about Jessica Jones, he eventually married Jessica Jones. *high fives Luke Cage, shatters every bone in hand*

Iron Fist – Born Daniel Rand, this guy learned martial arts from some badasses in a mythical city following the death of his parents. The most "real" of these four heroes, this guy is really just super at martial arts. But he does have one cool party trick: the ability to focus his chi into his fist, forming a glowing and dense five-fingers-and-one-palm-of-death. Iron Fist can also heighten his physical skills and heal fast... if anyone can even hurt him! I guess I'm most excited about this one because Iron Fist's earthly abilities seem better matched for television.

There you have it. And you can call me Captain Buzzkill, because I have to ask: Do we need more superheroes on TV? Is anyone else suffering from superhero exhaustion? Can superhero series work without a huge budget? What do YOU think?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/18/2016

Season 2 : Episode 13

137 Comments
Comments (137)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes superheroes!!!
Flag
Born Again = perfect Daredevil story.
Flag
While I'm pretty indifferent to the current state of superhero media being produced (the Marvel films, and Agents of SHIELD thus far, have all been pretty generic for my tastes), I find this very exciting news nonetheless.

As a television fan, I continue to look forward to watching the media develop, and Netflix keeps providing new ventures to get excited about, and the sheer magnitude of this development alone is awe-inspiring.

I know absolutely nothing about comic-books other than what I'm learnt watching the Marvel films and occasionally scouring the internet (mostly Wikipedia pages) on the subject, so Daredevil is the one most notable to me here, but from the synopsis on Luke Cage, I think I'd be most interested in seeing where his story goes.

I can't wait to see how it all unfolds (and hopefully there will actually be some good storytelling in there, too!).
Flag
I do think all of the characters sound interesting based on these descriptions, and their series have a lot of potential to be great if given to the right people. Though I have to agree, the thing I'm most excited about is the scope of the idea. Netflix has been pretty generous with their shows so far, often giving them 2 seasons before, or very shortly after their release, but it's so exciting that they're trying to build this kind of inter-connected world, with 4 separate series and a mini-series already confirmed. And it works so well with Netflix's "changing the nature of TV" image as well.

If this is successful enough, I wouldn't mind seeing even more projects like this. One in particular I thought of, even before this announcement, was multiple projects (whether they're full series, mini-series, or movies) based on Stephen King's stories, and starting with The Dark Tower. I did read a while back where Netflix was interested in sitting down with Ron Howard (who is trying to make The Dark Tower into a movie series and/or a TV series) to potentially have it on Netflix, though I don't think anything has come of that yet. But as anybody who has heard of The Dark Tower books should know, there are quite a few other stories written by Stephen King that have some sort of connection with that series, whether it's a certain character appearing, or certain ideas used in both. Of course, some of those stories have already had other adaptations, but I think it would be great if they could have this kind of unified Stephen King universe similar to what they're doing here.
More +
Flag
Is The Dark Tower Series any good? I'm not a huge reader myself, but I hear its name discussed enough online to know that it's a pretty big series.
Flag
Honestly, I'm only towards the beginning of the 3rd book, and the true adventure is just beginning (the first two books are dedicated towards introducing the characters and the basic ideas) so I can't really comment on the series as a whole. Though so far I am really enjoying it.
Flag
I liked both books in their own way, though I can easily understand why you may not have enjoyed the first book. And the same would be true for the second book as well because, even though I agree it was better than the first book, outside of the nature of the doors, it was a much more straight-forward and "normal" story than the first one, and presumably the rest of the series as well. But it was a great introduction to Eddie, (O)detta, and the relationship of the three characters.
Flag
The first book is kind of dry and bland. So much so, I took forever to drag myself through it, despite being small. But the second book, I loved, and the third book, I absolutely adored.....and my love for the story and the characters only grew from there. So, yeah, I think you can right assume that they are pretty great, in my humble opinion. A cinematic/TV universe, following Marvel's design, would be an awesome idea for Stephen King material. So many crossovers and such to utilize and explore. Plus, with modern effects technology and with extended episode counts given to mini-series, hopefully they would turn out a lot better than past efforts.
Flag
I'm in the mood for more superheroes all of those look good, hopefully they work sometime something works on paper or film but not so much on TV. Series are all about character development, and longer lasting story arks.
Flag
Excited yes. To them all.
Flag
the sad thing is we'll never have as perfect casting for Kingpin as Michael Clarke Duncan (may he rest in peace)
Flag
To be honest, I've always been a DC girl ever since my stepdad gave me my first stack of comics (The New Teen Titans vol 2), but I've never been totally anti-marvel like some people. I just don't enjoy most of the comics as much. But in terms of movies and TV, Marvel has been doing very well lately. Out of the recents, Captain America has been my favorite, and I never even thought twice of him before. So I'm actually interested in this because I do think Marvel does an incredible job of translating their characters into good films/shows.
Flag
There's something about Daredevil. I've always felt like there was some unrealized potential that needed some loosely controlled creative thinkers behind it to bring it out; as opposed to just trying create a boisterous blockbuster like 20th Cent Fox did. And Marvel keeps finding ways to do that with their stuff, so I think it's great Daredevil will get this.

Flag
Ya I'm in the same boat. The movie was pretty disappointing to me (and not because of Ben Affleck like many people seem to want to shit on him for), so hopefully the series will do better.
Flag
I agree about Affleck, DD is one of my favorite heroes (the Miller "Born Again" story is one of my favorites). I though Affleck did his best with what he was given!

Flag
I always felt that, like people complain about with Spider-Man 3 and X3 etc, it had a lot to do with trying to include so many characters and so much of the character histories condensed down into under 2hrs with a focus on checking off ALL the possible fight pairings, and as a result the actual plot suffered.
I still do recommend the Director's Cut of DD though, not perfect but has more plot/feel for Murdock/etc imho
Flag
I am one of the few who actually enjoyed DD. I thought Ben Affleck was perfectly fine (and I'm also of the opinion people need to stop pissing on the guy for playing Batman, but thats another story). About the only thing I didn't like was the ridiculous Bullseye. Colin Farrell with that absolutely retarded bullseye carved into his head just looked so silly.

As for X3, there were just too many things going on, too many characters (and god, they should simply have never included Juggernaut, man that movie ruined Juggernaut for me).
Flag
Awesome we'll finally get a Live Action Heroes for Hire! =D
...wait, Defenders? ...whaaat? [Where's Valkyrie and Dr Strange? Hulk, Silver Surfer?...Defenders generally dealt with otherworldly threats (space/mystical/demonic)]
OK, Now I'm confused.
I hope they at least leave intact Cage and Iron Fist being good hearted super-heroic mercenaries (and Luke Cage refering to himself as the first [super]hero for hire)
Matt Murdock's the only one who even has an active superhero persona that isn't getting him cash and Jessica Jones has a retired Superhero identity and works as a PI for weird/superhero/supervillain related cases.
Basically all of this makes perfect sense to me except the title for the team-up.
Also I sincerely hope that other Heroes for Hire related characters will show up in these:
Misty Knight (NYPD cop who lost her arm and got a Stark-Tech Prosthesis. Tracie Thoms HAS to play her [actress is a big fan of the character, looks the part and btwn her tv work and Deathproof she'd be just a perfect fit]) she's a long-time ally of Luke and Danny (plus her and Danny are pretty much always at least friends with benefits),
Colleen Wing who's Misty's BFF and weilds a katanna and wears a jumpsuit (basically think Kill Bill, but red hair and white jump suit (instead of yellow); does Devon Aoki do tv shows?)
And the original White Tiger Hector Ayala he was [one of if not] the first hispanic superheroes in comics and there's no reason he shouldn't be the first one in the Marvel cinematic universe too :)
More+
Flag
This is a brilliant idea. I was wondering when Luke Cage was going to get a chance. They obviously didn't feel strongly about any of these as movies and Netflix is the perfect place for Marvel to pursue these properties as creatively as possible and test the waters for these characters. Unlike DC, Marvel tends to actually know how to adapt these properties into compelling dramas with a dash of realism thrown in. I keep saying "they'll never be able to do that" and yet they do. Captain America's development seemed ridiculous to me, yet they find the perfect actor for it and craft a terrific screenplay; the thought of Thor was hilarious to me until I finally saw the movie. Avengers was far fetched and Joss Whedon directing a film? Sure he's great at tv but...it all worked. And now I think what else could you do with Captain America? I expected the trailer to focus only on fight sequences and yet it ends up an intelligent, moody trailer about ambiguity...i'm intrigued (a film from writers from Community?!). Ant Man seems crazy but they've been able to pull off so much...

One thought, hey Marvel, where's that Black Panther movie you've been hinting at since the reference that was planted in Thor?
More+
Flag
completely agree, and really hoping both these shows and Cap2 are good :)
And yeah T'Challa needs a film (before Chiwetel Ejiofor is too old for the role, please), while we're at it Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel needs a film too
wait, what reference in Thor? I mean they said Cap's Shield's vibranium in his film and that's kind of a reference, but I thought I'd remember a Wakanda reference, please do tell :)
Flag
The reference was near the end when they showed several computer screens dedicated to recent events (like the site where Thor's hammer was found) and one was some type of evidence finding/scene from Africa. Iron Man 2 supposedly has a reference to a metahuman in Africa as well.
Flag
I hope they don't hesitate to make some of these lesser-known characters non-majority ethnicities. I mean seriously- at least let the martial artist be Asian-American. Anyone else bothered by this monochrome view of superheroes (black or white... but mostly white)?
Flag
I hear ya, it's part of why I really hope they'll include all the other Heroes for Hire members, and related characters in supporting roles at the least (when Luke Cage debuted he referred to himself as a Hero for Hire and soon Iron Fist joined him in that business), if they add Misty Knight as supporting cast to these we'll at least get another African-American (not to mention another female), pretty sure her BFF Colleen Wing is Asian-American; both of them have a long history working with Luke Cage and Iron Fist (and Misty and Danny are often a couple or at least monogamous hook-up buddies, so another interracial couple [along with Luke and Jessica]), which brings me to Hector Ayala aka the original White Tiger aka the first Hispanic superhero in comics (I think, could be wrong, but deffinetly 1st in Marvel) he also ran w/Cage and Fist (when they were the Heroes for Hire) often and was more of a "hero to the people" than the rest.
If we pull from when Misty Knight took over running Heroes for Hire we also have Shang-Chi who's basically the marvel version of Bruce Lee, alive and kicking (and his evil father is basically Marvel version of Pai Mei [the Bride's teacher in Kill Bill v2, who was intended as (both literally the same person and in homage to) the recurring and immortal "most evil martial artist" from many Japanese action series]) and Tarantula (a Hispanic woman with a doctorate in biology and kicking-@$$)
More +
Flag
I'm a comics guy, so I'm very excited for this assuming it's good. Marvel/Disney seems to want to have top shelf talent on camera and behind the scenes, so I have high hopes, but this could very easily be really bad.
Flag
Now we need a superheroes vs. zombies miniseries... with vampires, angels and shirtless werewolves!
Flag
first of all lol :)
second of all no, no and please no!
(still laughing) ;)
Flag
I'm very much fine with more superheroes, as long as it's handled well. But then I've always been a comic book fan.
Flag
agents of shield is a crapfest. arrow came back from an extemely strong first season with a not so strong second season. I welcome any attempt at televsion I may potentially find entertaining. not that they would go hat way with disney being at one end but being on netflix means they don't have the same restrictions as network and cable adult-content wise.

if they're well done I could see myself enjoying all of them. I wouldn't be surprised if they're better than the fox franchise, man that thing has failed to evolve in the decade since it's inception.
Flag
weren't they also rebooting the Daredevil film series? if they do, I hope they use the same person as the tv show.

I knew they were developing a Jessica Jones tv show for a while with parts for Ms Marvel and Luke Cage, so I'm guessing this is a different one? unless it has them too. guess we'll see. wish it wasn't Netflix though really, but that'll probably be the best for them, I just won't be watching.
Flag
"weren't they also rebooting the Daredevil film series? if they do, I hope they use the same person as the tv show."

I believe it will be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and my theory is that the series will serve as a trial run for a movie.
Flag
Daredevil: the saint of suckville.

I'll take Cage and Iron Fist and you can keep the rest.
Flag
Awesome Daredevil back on screen!!! I was starting to lose hope that we ever see Hornhead again!!! XD
Flag
superheroes yes , but there are many others(better and well known ones). daredevil is the only one I've heard of. still i'll watch them all :)
Flag
I'd imagine this is the point. The A list superheroes won't be getting the TV treatment, I would imagine they will all be in line for movies. Even B-listers like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man (who some would argue is C or D list) are getting major movies with huge budgets.

The TV projects could and should be to elevate lesser known characters. Just because you haven't heard of them, doesn't mean they're not great characters.

I'm not at all saying that you even implied that, just saying.
Flag
Lets just bring back Heroes !
Flag
And actually make it good this time !
Flag
1st order of business keep Loeb away this time; same goes for these actually since Marvel in their "infinite wisdom" put him and the man who thinks Peter Parker making a literal deal with the devil is better than him being married in charge of ALL their tv shows (including children's cartoons [facepalm]) >(
Flag
Umm... Yes, there's always room for more superheroe shows. Especially since most of the current ones are either awful or "meh" at best.

The problem is, superheroe shows have some basic requirements and just slapping a certain fancy title doesn't do it for them.
Flag
Let the casting begin!
Daredevil: Misha Collins
Luke Cage: Idris Elba
Jessica Jones: Eliza Dushku
Iron Fist: that guy John from the Tomorrow People
Flag
Dead on casting with Misha and Idris. I'd like to see that. Would Idris even want to do a second television series,though?
Flag
You mean Luther? I thought the last season was the last one. He should be free now.
Flag
cool picks, here's my list (I still wish 4 we were getting Heroes 4 Hire so 2 additions):
Heroes4Hire film/tv: Tracie Thoms as Misty Knight, Devon Aoki as Colleen Wing, Isaiah Mustafa as Luke Cage, Charlie Hunnam as Iron Fist
also: Gina Carano as Jessica Jones (though Dushku could definitely work, and is certainly a more experienced actress; I just hope they keep in how brutally Jess fights (out of all mentioned above she fights dirtiest); hence why Carano'd be good 4it; Haywire showed she can do that very believably)
[and credit where credit is due, at the very least the MK and LC casting choices come from DCwomenKickingAss and JJ one is from Kelly Thompson's column on CBR, it's entirely possible I stole the IF and CW ones too, but I wouldn't know from where]
I've not thought on DD casting and I've not seen much Supernatural, so I will defer to you on that and 2nd your Misha Collins nomination :)
Flag
I have no doubt in Carano's fighting ability. I do however, still see her more as a fighter and not as an actor. So JJ fights dirty? Then may I suggest Ivana Milicevic (from Banshee). Her fight with Oleg on that show is probably one of the dirtiest I've ever seen from a woman.
Misha can pull off the Matt Murdock stuff without a sweat. How he does with the spandex stuff though is anybody's guess.
Flag
just looked that fight up on YouTube...Holy $#!%!
Yes, perfect! Thank You :) just needs a part where she does the clap hands over both ears followed by:
[WARNING Graphic Description: grasp-both-sides of head and push-thumbs-on-eyes till...]
and yeah, that's proven as covering just about anything fight-related I can recall from her series, and then some =D
Also with just slightly darker hair dye she's more of a dead-ringer for the character than anyone I've heard suggested :D
I'll have to give that show a look, never heard of it, so thanks again :)
Here's hoping Marvel will allow her to be even half as graphic as that in her fights on the show (her series was in one of Marvel's MAX series which were fairly mature themed and action so if true to source material... also, unrelated but, her's and Black Widow's Marvel Knights series [also more mature, but less brutal overall] sported fairly cinematic at times almost water-color-like art, worked very well visually and looked far more realistic than most comics)
Flag
You're in for a treat. That fight isn't even the most "Holy s$#!%" fight of that show. Check out the one-on-one that breaks out when the sheriff "questions" this MMA dude.
I'm hoping that since they approached Netflix and not standard network TV, they intend to keep them as mature themed as they're supposed to be.
Flag
Still in the Marvel Cinematic Universe I assume, so Idris Elba's been taken already :P Love Mischa Collins as Daredevil though!
Flag
Chris Evans was in two Fantastic Four movies before becoming Captain America. And without his gold suit and gold horned helmet I doubt most viewers would recognize Idris in an afro.
Flag
lol I have trouble reading "his gold suit and gold horned helmet" and not thinking of the classic "Power Man" costume ;)
agreed Idris could still do other Marvel roles easily, although I think I saw him helmet-less in Thor2 trailer so :/
Flag
Fantastic Four and Captain America aren't in the same shared universe though (in movie world anyway). I don't think an Afro will be on the cards though :P but is a good point
Flag
afro ftw! :P lol your probably right though, and it's not a deal breaker for me
Flag
There was a Jessica Jones series on the table a few years ago, but it stalled out.

The nice thing about the current contract ties that prevent Disney from using Spider-Man or the X-Men in live-action roles is this: it's forced them to dig into the catalog and give heroes that otherwise wouldn't have had their time in the sun big roles.

We all know if they could use Spidey and Wolverine, they would be all they would use, and the genre would die of stagnation. See: Warner Bros. and their current reluctance to exploit anything besides Batman.
Flag
I couldn't have said it better myself, also I agree with what many have said: Spider-Woman should be put into the Marvel live-action stuff, since she's not really of any relation to Parker besides the name and some team-ups, is a great character in her own write w/a backstory that writes itself given existance of Hydra etc, and it'd give them a fun way to go:
"any relation to?---"
"-No"
as a way of poking fun at it :)
Flag
Staff
And we move one step closer to my dream of a Squirrel Girl series.
Flag
And her nemesis.....The Weasel!
Flag
is that the same Weasel that Deadpool hangs out with, saves from taskmaster and occasionally stabs? or are there 2 Marvel characters who go by such a terrible nom de plume? :)
Flag
You left out "Girl-Man" and his sidekick "Man-Girl".

Where are superheroes on TV right now, Tim? Arrow, who isn't very super. Annnnnd... that's it. "Oh, we're running so many right now!" Yeesh. SHIELD has zero superheroes. CW's The Flash doesn't exist yet. Siffy killed Alphas for no reason except that they hate anything good.

Now, all that said, this is a very interesting development, and gives them an exceptionally diverse set of characters to lead their own shows, from a traditional super-powered costumed hero to a martial arts guy to a black guy to a girl guy (yes, that's that same joke again), which hopefully means they can tell diverse, original stories that wouldn't be found in top-tier characters' tales. That said, they aren't a particularly good set of characters to become The Defenders together.

As for budget, it's really not necessary these days, practical effects coupled with discount CGI to cover up wire rigs is old hat. Where it really matters is passion and vision to create good stories in an effective way, that's where it counts and where it cannot come up short.

I'm voting Daredevil because he's more compelling (unless acted by Ben Affleck) than the others, he's much more a Marvel hero in that he's deeply flawed and emotionally scarred and yet he gets out there and fights for right.

So are these shows going to be in the shared Marvel Cinematic Universe? And will this open the door to a Punisher show?
More+
Flag
I sometimes get the feeling that Tim do not read the comments or he is too busy with writing his loads of articles. I know Noel definitely do ! I will happily comment on The Good Wife written by him every week.

If he had read it, some of us already been asking him where are the superheroes that he is so sick of in the comments section of the last article.
Flag
Staff
Given all the connections between this batch, I look forward to seeing Purple Man. And which actor is willing to be purple-fied.
Flag
Easy Answer here, Whom else to play Zebidiah Killgrave, but the guy that played his voice on EMH, Brent Spiner! He's A. got the hops B. Not Doing Anything! and C. is at least semi amicable to large amounts of make-up.
Everybody wins here.
Flag
Brent Spiner is getting up there in age and almost certainly doesn't want to slather on more full-face makeup, he was complaining about it midway through TNG, I can't imagine he'd be happier now - the makeup they used on him in the last 2 TNG movies was attrocious.
Flag
@Nixinthe616 agreed, love Spiner, I grew up on ST:TNG alongside Sesame Street :) but if anyone pitched it w/"he voiced him in A:EMH" they'd either say "what?" or insist like whiney children, jealous that someone else dares to play with what they see as their toys, that they don't need to listen to the "cartoon guys"
Also: no, sorry not Man of Action, they only did the Red Hulk and Winter Soldier appearing eps (compared with Assemble that they write now though their eps EMH were gold), the creative team for the rest of A:EMH was mostly same as WatX, X-Men: Evolution and most of the animated films (including Hulk vs).
Yeah, Loeb has issues, I try not to speak on it since it's sad stuff, but he just needs to be kept away from all Marvel stuff :/
Flag
Wow, fantastic idea :) how have I not thought of that yet?
Here's hoping Marvel realizes that too :) [unfortunately the studios handling live action usually look down on the toon versions of the same properties, so I'm not hopeful (it's part of why DC never just let Bruce Timm and co handle a live action JL, nor will they even ever look at that series as a guideline for how to do so) it really is too bad that that's the snooty mentallity given how well done A:EMH and JL&JLU were]
Flag
But Spiner isn't just a voice talent, he's a serious talent, he can sing, he can dance, make you laugh or cry. I'm sure he'd sink his teeth deep into playing a villian, and lets not forget he brings tons of genre swagger to the table.

I would love, love, love to see Timm, or even Man of Action getting a shot at a superhero show. Any of these. My Fear is though Loeb will get aboard one of these 4 and create another character based on his kid.
Flag
Good point, screams Purple Man with that grouping (I guess Iron Fist will be filing his nails during that storyline). But honestly, I just want them to cast a huge fat fat fat faaaaat guy as Kingpin to fight these folks. Any jerk can be painted purple, but Kingpin should be a rectangle of a man.
Flag
Re: IF vs Purple Man; he could always Mind Control him or Control Cage or Jessica to punch him through a wall; with Mental Powers there are many options
Flag
@JT_Kirk ah, gotcha, quite true, but IF's also LC's best friend so not that hard to include him, even if that's his only personal connection :)
Flag
True enough, I just meant in terms of beefs, all the other characters have one with Purple Man except IF.
Flag
maybe he was referring to shows like Heroes? Otherwise it's true, right now we only have Arrow that I know of.

I know Daredevil better than the others, so there goes my vote too, but I have to say, I am a little worried about the wardrobe :)
Flag
I love plopping down on the couch every week to watch new episodes of Heroes... 4 years ago when it ended.

Daredevil's costume is a bit drab off the page, even the fetishwear they put Matt Damon's worse half in, but as Noel put it, red and yellow for victory.

Iron Fist's costume is the least tv-friendly possible, as Katerine points out below. It's both hideous and stupid nonsense that has the stench of the '70s (pre-Shooter Marvel) all over it. Then again, if they pull an "Arrow" it'd be pretty bad too, so I'll take the insane "um, is he a luchador in training?" look over musclesuits OR near-black wool everything with too many vests and junk.

Luke Cage is a pretty easy costume to get working, it's just a shirt and pants with gauntlets and a chain. NO HEADBAND, leave that in the '70s please. PLEASE. What are you, Wonder Woman? That said, I'll take the '70s 'fro over the modern bald.

Jessica Jones' costume I assume will be burned, it's not very good on the page and it wouldn't be very good OR USABLE on the screen. Nothing like a show that takes 8 times as long to film because the star keeps flopping out a teat and stabbing herself in the stomach with a hip-worn jewel. Then again, her costume will probably be a hospital gown since she'll be in a coma half the series.
More +
Flag
Good point about the costumes. Imagine if Hugh Jackman wore Wolverine's blue and yellow.
Flag
It'd be awesome! :D
Actually the X-Men: First Class flight suits worked, so something like that and if they pull off the "horned" mask look, we're that much closer to Hawkeye getting a costume that's not butt-ugly and stands out due only to it's blandness
so I obviously fail to see your point ;)
Flag
Jones may be a detective series featuring someone with super powers. Not sure, but I believe her comic series, ALIAS, or character in general, had it fans and positive reviews.
Flag
yep and, if I remember right, the costume was only used in flashbacks and in a case where she and several avengers suited up while on the run from the government to save a captured Hawkeye (that was in an Avengers Annual, not the Alias series)
She pretty much always wears street clothes
Flag
"I love plopping down on the couch every week to watch new episodes of Heroes... 4 years ago when it ended." -OMFG YOUR COUCH CAN TRAVEL THROUGH TIME!!!!!!!
Flag
Especially Iron Fist's. The picture above neglects to show the green calf-length tights or the yellow ballet slippers. :D

Flag
(yeah we ran out of space to reply): I agree with you that other one you posted was his most realistic look, and yes they should do that, I just think that with all the many male heroes who are usually bare-chested (like Danny usually is) we should have a show/film where one of them is in-fact bare-chested in some way nearly full-time (as opposed to just a single scene shirtless for a trailer). that doesn't require spandex per se (though you are correct about the physical impracticality of the above's 1-piece spandex), could just be the below with the top having a zipper and yellow interior (to kind of blend both) and Danny has that tatoo so I think he'd work :)
Flag
I honestly really hope they have whoever they cast in this costume. It's not really much more revealing than Black Widow's costume, so no excuse not to go for this look.
Flag
(small addition to my last reply): I should note that what I really like about this, is not the ammo. It's the clothing itself. It works, as a costume that a martial artist would wear. It works from a TV perspective (in that a real person could wear it without looking unbelievably stupid), and it works from an in-universe perspective (this is what a martial artist would wear, if he needed to wear a costume).
Flag
It's... full-length spandex. With foot-long spikes on the shoulders that would block his peripheral vision, not to mention hit his nose every time he turns his head.

And I'm pretty sure they put BW in leather, in the movie. Not spandex. :) Think they managed to make spandex look good for Spiderman, but that's about it.

What Iron Fist he should wear on live-action TV, is loose clothing, as befits his martial arts status, and a mask. I personally really like this version of his costume:

Practical, realistic, and cool.
Flag
Reminds me of Electro.
Flag
Staff
RED AND YELLOW COSTUME OR GO HOME.
Flag

Jessica Jones is one of the most charming, down to earth and poignant characters that Brian Michael Bendis have created during his career. There is a 'What If' comic in which Jessica joins the Avengers which in turn prevents House of M from ever happening. My point is, she is one of the most underrated but tremendously substantial characters of our time.

Flag
Staff
Worst news ever. At least itll be on Netflix on not on my TV.
But seriously, how far behind can a tv series centered around the most annoying/terrible/lame superhero ever...

At least get some rollerblades dude....

Flag
At this rate that long desired Howard the Duck remake cannot be far behind.
Flag
Staff
Disney does own LucasFilm, after all...
Flag
I imagine Marvel got the rights back a while ago and I can't imagine anyone else bought them.
Flag
Disney owns Lucasfilm and Marvel, so as long as nobody bought the rights, it doesn't matter what happened to them anymore.
Flag
Forgot to mention: this grand project will succeed or fail mostly depending on who they cast for Matt and Luke, and who's going to show-run them.

If Marvel gives us Affleck-level actors for those roles, and if Jeph Loeb has any direct involvement with them, as he currently has with S.H.I.E.L.D. ... don't even bother watching.

Flag
Oh please Marvel, just fire Loeb already! please, we beg you
and CAN Quesada while your at it!
Seriously, what kind of blackmail is involved that keeps those two man-child hacks employed at Marvel?
Flag
Hopefully they do DD's character justice this time, not start him out as a sadistic murderer who devolves into increasing stupidity.

I'm both looking forward to this, and dreading it. I'm a huge DD fan. I absolutely love the character, his journey, his "troubles" (I put it in quotes because no word can adequately describe what Matt Murdock goes through), and his emotional roller coasters and ups and downs as a character (in the present day, he's somebody who's been through a lot over the years).

So, he's a major favorite character of mine. And in my experience, if a depiction of a favorite character is done even half-decently (aka Smallville), the public will like it, but the big fans of the character will dislike it, for all the reasons that stick out to the big fans, but not to anybody else. And if the depiction isn't done half-decently, but rather is done very very badly (aka the movie version of Daredevil), the general public will find it forgettable, and the big fans of the character will find it... painful.

Really. Really. Painful.

So I'm a little hesitant to look forward to this. What they really need to do is tell a story that gets the general public to admire him as a hero (a flawed hero, but a hero nonetheless). Smallville did that really well, and if the writing is like that, then hopefully this will be good. But the DD was so horrible (actually depicting DD as, not a flawed and conflicted hero, but more like a villain who styles himself a hero), and watching it was such a painful experience for me, I'm just naturally wary of getting my hopes up.
More+
Flag
Er...
"But the DD was so horrible" should read, "But the DD movie was so horrible". Sorry; didn't get much sleep last night and I'm dropping words all over the place. :)
Flag
Marvel Studios WILL NOT BE STOP BY ANYONE til there's nothing else by their super-heroes on TV and in theaters.

The takeover has already started... trouble is, I have absolutely no problem with it!
Flag
I'm not necessarily sick of superheroes (though lots of these adaptations turn out disappointing) but these four don't sound too exciting. In fact, I only heard of Daredevil before...
Flag
Iron Fist and Luke Cage has already teamed up in Ultimate Spiderman, the latest animated Spiderman adaption.
Flag
They used to have their own title for years so them teaming up all over is sort of a given.
Flag
They've teamed up before on the great and dearly missed The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Its reboot, though, and Ultimate Spider-Man and that Hulk series, for that matter... are all unwatchable crapfests.
Flag
I really don't think those shows are that bad, with the exception of Spider-Man being on a SHIELD team to become the "Ultimate Spider-Man." Ugh. They shoulda kept him ad a solo act and left SHIELD out of it, and it wouldn't have been bad.
Flag
In other words they should've just kept Spectacular Spider-Man going. I agree wholeheartedly :)
Flag
Exactly!
Flag
I'm not exactly the biggest superhero fanatic, so I don't really know much about these characters besides Tim's descriptions in this article. However, I have recently started getting more into superhero shows/movies, and am very excited about this announcement. The characters each sound interesting in their own way, plus I like that they're going the same route as The Avengers, giving each character their own shows to help develop their characters separately before bringing them together as a group. Hopefully these shows turn out for the best, and they expand on the idea in the future.

Also, it's great to see Netflix adding variety to their programming. I was wondering what they could do with a more action-based series, and now I'll be able to find out.
Flag
Just do a Semi-Super Hero Friends show with all four of them tied into one show!
Flag
Heroes for Hire=done :) (I wish they'd do that, it just makes sense)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I'd probably get into Daredevil if they minimize the comic bookiness or at least go with the Frank Miller version. Luke Cage & Iron Fist I've never had any interest in, & Jessica Who?
Flag
Jessica Jones was Brian Michael Bendis' pet project when he first went to Marvel from Image, they wouldn't let him write Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman), so he just created his own character and tried to fold her into the long history of Marvel characters. The series started off with some pretty good writing, but not a lot of people were buying it, especially given the flimsy folding into old Marvel canon, so the logical step was to shack her up with a relatively forgotten Luke Cage and hope that would at least make her important enough to stick around.
Flag
um, actually her and Luke started "doing it" in like the 1st volume [so w/in 1st few issues or so] of Alias (w/the usual are we or are we not a couple? dating/hooking up w/other people and getting pissed at each other for doing so etc. issues early on), it just became a romantic/familial attachment later (which might've been as you say an effort to keep her as connected to canon as Bendis could),
sorry to nitpick; I just loved the Alias series :), as well as the Spider-Woman motion comic when they let Bendis write her post-Secret Invasion, good stuff (wish all Bendis's writing was that good, but they've kind of done like Star Trek did w/Braga and given him way too many things to write at once [many of which aren't really his forte] and his quality is far less consistent now)
Flag
Alias was just about the last great thing I read from Bendis after he left Image. He had a few good runs on the Ultimate line (those he didn't completely destroy) but his forte is really more in the non or low-powered crime noir world, not in the high flying superhero world IMO.
Flag
actually that Spider-Woman thing might still be up free on hulu, along with Astonishing X-Men (motion comic adaptation of Joss Whedon's fist run, which conveniently introduces the organization she works for in her series)
Flag
I personally think he's still very good at any and all 'Spider-' related characters so I am still reading his new Ultimate Spider-Man (and Miles is a really Great character), but yeah the noir superhero stuff will always be what he's best at.
You should grab that Spider-Woman mo-com from the library or something you'll probably enjoy it :)
It's at least worth a single watch imo [imho comic version is less good since he and the artist made it primarily for motion comic]
The premise is Abigail Brand (director of SHIELD's sister organization SWORD, dealing w/space stuff &ETs) recruits her to covertly hunt down left over Skrulls from the invasion where Jess was captured 4 3yrs while the Skrull Queen replaced her. I wish there were more comics of Agent Drew working for SWORD
Flag
they should convince Ben Affleck to play dare devil , and leave batman alone
Flag
I am excited for Iron Fist. I cannot wait for the casting reveals.
Flag
While you're at it, Netflix, bring Thomas Jane back as the Punisher!
Flag
I read somewhere that Fox is developing a Punished series. Can't remember what it was supposed to be about exactly, but I was kinda disappointed when I read it.
Flag
Nevermind. Apparently they passed on that. But it would've been a procedural with Frank Castle as an NYPD detective who took on the streets in his off time.
Flag
Don't you mean an NYPD detective that wrote books in his time off?
Sorry, wrong Castle
Flag
I wouldn't know. Never watched Castle.
Flag
I keep holding out the wild hope he's going to show up on Agents of SHIELD as a "civilian consultant" on one of their cases of the week, but alas, it's just fun to dream...
Flag
I've been hoping for similar guest appearances from Luke Cage, Jessica Jones etc and all the Heroes for Hire, so here's hoping :)
Flag
Worst hero selections ever. You have thousands to pick from and you pick these heroes? REALLY?!

Why not do a show about the villains for once? The Brotherhood comes to mind... or H.Y.D.R.A..... The Sinister 6 anyone? I'd so watch that....
Flag
Brotherhood of Mutants= Live Action rights still owned by Fox :(
HYDRA=Neo-Nazis, so NO I don't want to see a show of that; Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) raised in a HYDRA terrorist cell until she rebels, joins SHIELD and works as a double agent for Fury; THAT! I'd watch :) [also the idea gets bonus points for being fairly true to her comics, Madame Hydra aka Viper also may or may not be her biological mother, but she's crazy enough to be sure Jessica's her daughter]
Sinister 6=too big an FX budget with all those various powers etc.
Also rights owned by Sony along w/Spidey films :(
Flag
when lawyers get involved.... everyone's gonna have a bad time :) lol sucks that these networks can't get their shit together and provide some quality programming that we actually want to see because I won't be watching any of those 4 listed... they are just... not interesting superheroes. :(
Flag
well to each their own,. since I've actually read Alias (the Jessica Jones series) I'm looking forward to that one, esp if they keep the graphic fight scenes and really make it "true to the comics" and I've wanted to see Luke Cage in the Marvel cinematic stuff so I'm at least invested in half of 'em and I'll watch the others esp if all are good and all connect
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
All we need now is a Zombie Superhero show, then the over hyped genres will all come full circle.
Flag
Undead and Marvel superheroes? hmm how about?
The Fangtastic Four
The Ex-Men
Flag
Don't give Disney/Marvel any ideas..Marvel had a Zombies take that was wildly popular at first...and they proceeded to run it in the ground with way too many sequels afterwards...sounds familiar..
Flag
Staff
I'm rather excited about all of these on paper, but am withholding any more enthusiasm until they start putting together casts and crews.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members