Product placement

chaosrainz

[1]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 17

Does anybody know if this is supposed to be an intentional gimmick with this show?

I know back in the day companies would sponsor shows and their products would be advertised heavily on the show, but I'm not even sure they would actively be included in the show.

I'm just into the 3rd disc now on the dvd set and I've noticed that between them mentioning products or openly showing them there is a LOT of "endorsement" (intended or otherwise) on this show.

I was wondering if it was intentional, as in if they were sponsors of the show, or if it was a gimmick to make fun of the old time sponsor style shows or what.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CriticalChoice

[2]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 1

I used to teach Mass Communication. Back in the early days of television, companies openly sponsored shows and their products were often part of the storyline. (Refer to old game shows such as "I've Got a Secret" and the obvious display of Winston Cigarettes and the actors smoking them during the show.) Later in the 1960's tv tried to be more socially conscious, possibly as a result of our involvement in the Vietnam War. Liquor and cigarette ads were banned from the airwaves.

Norman Lear set out to create a pattern of breaking all the rules (refer to "All in the Family") and he was very successful. I think he placed the products overtly for the relaity factor that was so very much his signature style. Later, in movies, especially in the 80's and 90's, advertising insert or product placement became an industry unto itself. Example: Did the plane in Cast Away really have to be a Fed Ex Carrier? The promo and publicity generated from this type exposure far outweighs the money paid to place the product.

Hope I helped with your question.

chaosrainz

[3]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 17
    Great response and so quick too! I didn't know if anybody would be on this board anytime soon. I thought it might be a while before I heard anything.lol

thanks!