Mary

CBS (ended 1986)

Mary Fan Reviews (1)

6.1
  • Mary has strong characters and great possibilities for future story lines and with the supporting characters actors Katy Sagal and John Astin I gave wonderful performances!

I have to say first that after 7 years seeing Mary as Mary Richards anything is hard to follow up after a mega hit on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Mary Brenner is not that much different from the Mary Richards character, just in a different circumstance. By this time it was ok for her to be "divorced" and possible hit on some heavier topics. I think if CBS had given Mary a full season a full 22-23 episodes it may have had time to find it's nitche and become another hit. John Astin's portrayal of Ed LaSalle brilliant as most of his bizzar characters like Gomez Adams have been in the past. Katy Segal was basically unknown at the time but I also loved her as the sharp tounged , caustic Jo Tucker and though that left many story lines for them to explore with Mary. Anyhoo..I have to say I'm lucky to own a few of the first episodes and treasure them none the less, because ....it is Mary..After All~