M*A*S*H Forums

CBS (ended 1983)

Favorite Colonel Potter Moment

  • Avatar of pashotshot

    pashotshot

    [1]Oct 11, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/07
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 3,849

    List all of your favorite Colonel Potter moments.

    I have a lot, but one that really got me was on Commander Pierce when he tried to talk to BJ, Hawkeye, and Charles about him being on a powwow. Charles was drinking some medicine, and spat on the cup when Colonel Potter came in. When he saw Charles spit, he said, "Same to you, Winchester." When he hacked at Colonel Potter's departure, the Colonel said, "Courage, Camille."

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mylibby523

    mylibby523

    [2]Oct 12, 2007
    • member since: 01/12/06
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 82

    His first conversation with Klinger:

    "Horse hockey! I've seen these dodges for forty years, all the tricks. Had a soldier pretend he was a mare. Carried a colt in his arms for weeks. Another fellow said he was a daisy. Insisted we water him every morning. No, no, Corporal, it's not gonna go with me. Now you get out of that froufrou and into a uniform and you STAY in uniform!"

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pashotshot

    pashotshot

    [3]Oct 12, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/07
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 3,849
    Those stories he told Klinger was funny.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Frankburnsflagg

    Frankburnsflagg

    [4]Nov 12, 2007
    • member since: 01/19/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,517

    I have two favorite Colonel Potter moments: The episode where he was painting a picture of his thumb , and the episode when he first got Sophie from Radar and he slipped in the horse's poop. Both of those episodes were so funny, that I couldn't pick just one .

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pashotshot

    pashotshot

    [5]Dec 25, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/07
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 3,849
    Colonel Potter was funny indeed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lyghthouse

    lyghthouse

    [6]Dec 31, 2007
    • member since: 07/13/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,168

    I love when he yells.

    The houseboat episode is particularly good for that...

    "She's bought the damn boat!"

    "Nobody over the age of 60 should go to scuba school!"

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pashotshot

    pashotshot

    [7]Dec 31, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/07
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 3,849
    Are you kidding? Colonel Potter was the funniest when he screamed his head off.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ladybritcomfan

    ladybritcomfan

    [8]Jan 1, 2008
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 36
    • rank: Young and Restless
    • posts: 764
    I like his "Potterisms": "Horse Hockey" "Bull Cookies" "Buffalo Bagels" I'll add to this when I hear them again or think of some more.
    Edited on 01/02/2008 1:11am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of msdebagain

    msdebagain

    [9]Jan 3, 2008
    • member since: 01/01/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 9

    any episode with him drunk was my favorite. he played a great drunk

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lyghthouse

    lyghthouse

    [10]Jan 5, 2008
    • member since: 07/13/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,168
    "Did I fall down?"
    "No"
    "I didn't think so." :-)

    (go sox!!)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of neurononsense

    neurononsense

    [11]Jan 5, 2008
    • member since: 12/14/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 122

    I also like just before that when he says "You know i like a major with hot lips, and I'll tell you why." and Hawkeye says, "Why?" and he responds "exactly."

    The episode where he takes the sleeping pill is hilarious, too. "Hello room service. I'd like you to send up a couple of poached eggs, a bowl of prunes...." It makes me laugh every time I see it!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lyghthouse

    lyghthouse

    [12]Jan 5, 2008
    • member since: 07/13/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,168
    "Order a helicopter."
    "No thanks, I'm not that hungry."

    :-)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ceosmom

    ceosmom

    [13]Jan 5, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/06
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 679
    There are a lot of good, humorous ones, but my favorite Potter moment is when officers are supposed to be listening to and learning about how to treat injuries from a new type of weapon (Napalm), and they are just clowning through the whole speech, as usual. Potter is already upset about something else and he just freaks out on the whole staff telling them to "shut up, and maybe we can figure out how to end this damn war!!!" The room just falls silent. I remember feeling really uncomfortable when it aired, like he was yelling at all of us at home, too. I wish I could remember the name of the ep, it was so good.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ladybritcomfan

    ladybritcomfan

    [14]Jan 6, 2008
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 36
    • rank: Young and Restless
    • posts: 764
    I like it when he chews out Hawkeye for yelling at Radar.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of neurononsense

    neurononsense

    [15]Jan 8, 2008
    • member since: 12/14/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 122

    I think my favorite serious Colonel Potter moment was in the episode where Hawkeye and B.J. turn Rosie's bar into "Rosieland." (By the way...that episode contains some of the funniest dialogue ever, but that's another topic.) I like the speech that Potter gives to Hawkeye and B.J. outside of the bar when he says he deserves respect and, more than that, he's earned it. I found it very moving. As a teacher, I can completely understand how he felt at that moment.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lyghthouse

    lyghthouse

    [16]Jan 10, 2008
    • member since: 07/13/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,168
    ladybritcomfan wrote:
    I like it when he chews out Hawkeye for yelling at Radar.


    And turns to Margaret, who keeps interrupting him, and says, "I rehearsed this as a solo."

    :-)

    Father Mulcahy's speech in that episode is hillarious as well. "I'm acromonious!"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Angelwomyn

    Angelwomyn

    [17]Jan 10, 2008
    • member since: 06/13/05
    • level: 65
    • rank: Chosen One
    • posts: 1,430

    ceosmom wrote:
    There are a lot of good, humorous ones, but my favorite Potter moment is when officers are supposed to be listening to and learning about how to treat injuries from a new type of weapon (Napalm), and they are just clowning through the whole speech, as usual. Potter is already upset about something else and he just freaks out on the whole staff telling them to "shut up, and maybe we can figure out how to end this damn war!!!" The room just falls silent. I remember feeling really uncomfortable when it aired, like he was yelling at all of us at home, too. I wish I could remember the name of the ep, it was so good.

    The episode was "Pressure Points."

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tom567649

    tom567649

    [18]Jan 10, 2008
    • member since: 03/26/06
    • level: 29
    • rank: Volgar the Enforcer
    • posts: 57
    In the episode "The Red, White, and Blues", he had to keep his blood pressure down for a while, so he couldn't lose his temper, smoke or drink. That was hard enough, but what really sent him over the edge in that episode was everyone in the camp acting super nice to him to keep him from getting angry. Eventually, he couldn't take it and he blew up at everyone.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lyghthouse

    lyghthouse

    [19]Jan 11, 2008
    • member since: 07/13/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,168
    tom567649 wrote:
    In the episode "The Red, White, and Blues", he had to keep his blood pressure down for a while, so he couldn't lose his temper, smoke or drink. That was hard enough, but what really sent him over the edge in that episode was everyone in the camp acting super nice to him to keep him from getting angry. Eventually, he couldn't take it and he blew up at everyone.


    Yeah, that's a great episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pashotshot

    pashotshot

    [20]Jan 11, 2008
    • member since: 06/08/07
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 3,849
    Angelwomyn wrote:

    ceosmom wrote:
    There are a lot of good, humorous ones, but my favorite Potter moment is when officers are supposed to be listening to and learning about how to treat injuries from a new type of weapon (Napalm), and they are just clowning through the whole speech, as usual. Potter is already upset about something else and he just freaks out on the whole staff telling them to "shut up, and maybe we can figure out how to end this damn war!!!" The room just falls silent. I remember feeling really uncomfortable when it aired, like he was yelling at all of us at home, too. I wish I could remember the name of the ep, it was so good.

    The episode was "Pressure Points."

    Colonel Potter had a temper-tantrum on that episode, then nearly had a meltdown in front of Sidney Freedman.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.