M*A*S*H Forums

CBS (ended 1983)

MASH goofs

bountyhunter7

[1]Feb 1, 2006
    • level: 3
    ever notice a goof on MASH?? Ive noticed 2...in the episode ARMY NAVY game, the doctors are chearing in col. blakes office...one of the nurses BOPS hawkeye in the face with her pompom as they are jumping up and down!! notice alan alda grab his face and turn around to hid the fact!!
    Also, in the later seasons...the episode where klinger is accused of hitting on a local girl, there is a scene where hawk sits down near a football and gently tosses it to beej. alan alda waits and mike to throw it back (even has his hands open for a pass!) and mike leaves him hanging!! kinda funny!! have u ever spotted anything like that??
    Edited on 02/01/2006 7:29am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Feb 3, 2006
    • level: 63
    If you have a goof or nitpick, you can always submit to the episode guide.

Tim1231

[3]Feb 3, 2006
    • level: 4
    tur e

Trapper05

[4]Feb 5, 2006
    • level: 24
    Speaking of putting goofs on the episode guide, I do not understand what they want for the Comments part of the submission of goofs. I get the entering the trivia part it is just the Comments of the trivia part that I am not doing well with. Could some please explain to me what they want and maybe an example. Mine keeping getting rejected and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks

HelloStuart

[5]Feb 5, 2006
    Trapper05 wrote:
    Speaking of putting goofs on the episode guide, I do not understand what they want for the Comments part of the submission of goofs. I get the entering the trivia part it is just the Comments of the trivia part that I am not doing well with. Could some please explain to me what they want and maybe an example. Mine keeping getting rejected and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks

Comments are the most interesting thing; basically, it's a way of explaining why you're making this submission. As generic as it may sound, just say that you feel that what you've submitted is highly relevant to this particular episode.

dilemma93

[6]Jun 19, 2007
    • level: 2

I know that sometimes the show will state something thats historically inaccurate like the episode in the first or second season when hawkeye said he had been in Korea for 2 years. The War lasted three years therefore making all episodes after it taking place in the last year of the war. Also, Henry left because he got his points in but according to the official M*A*S*H website, army doctors didnt get points. And in another episode, there is a mudfight and you cant here it but Hawkeye mouths to Margaret "Loretta, its ok" since Margaret's character is played by Loretta Swit.

ladybritcomfan

[7]Jun 20, 2007
    • level: 36
    Trapper05 wrote:

For comments, I usually just say "Submitting a goof for this episode." That usually does it.

ladybritcomfan

[8]Jun 20, 2007
    • level: 36
    dilemma93 wrote:

I know that sometimes the show will state something thats historically inaccurate like the episode in the first or second season when hawkeye said he had been in Korea for 2 years. The War lasted three years therefore making all episodes after it taking place in the last year of the war. Also, Henry left because he got his points in but according to the official M*A*S*H website, army doctors didnt get points. And in another episode, there is a mudfight and you cant here it but Hawkeye mouths to Margaret "Loretta, its ok" since Margaret's character is played by Loretta Swit.

I'll have to look at that next time the episode airs. And speaking of people mouthing things, has anyone noticed in the episode "Nurse Doctor" that it looks like Charles is saying "Oh sh*t" when he's running back into the shower after Hawkeye and B.J. take his imported sodawater?
    Edited on 06/20/2007 9:32am
    Edited 3 total times.

dilemma93

[9]Jun 20, 2007
    ladybritcomfan wrote:
    dilemma93 wrote:

I'll have to look at that next time the episode airs. And speaking of people mouthing things, has anyone noticed in the episode "Nurse Doctor" that it looks like Charles is saying "Oh sh*t" when he's running back into the shower after Hawkeye and B.J. take his imported sodawater?

i dont know. its been a while since ive seen it. ill look for it next time its on. ive also noticed that Henry calls his wife Mildred in some episodes and Lorraine in others. Col.Potter's wife is Mildred all through the show after he arrives i think.

Also, the episode with the mudfight is "bulletin board" i think.

HelloStuart

[10]Jun 22, 2007
    dilemma93 wrote:
    ive also noticed that Henry calls his wife Mildred in some episodes and Lorraine in others. Col.Potter's wife is Mildred all through the show after he arrives i think.

In the show's defense, Mildred is sort of a standard "old bitty/harridan" type of name.

fudgemonkey10

[11]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 8
    I found a goof. In an episode in the 1977 season, (I'm not sure which one, but it's the one where the unit gets like 100,000 tongue depressors) Alan Alda can be seen for about two seconds...wearing 80's WORKOUT SHOES!

sienster

[12]Aug 30, 2007
    How could he be wearing 80's shoes in 1977?

HelloStuart

[13]Aug 30, 2007
    sienster wrote:

Little known fun fact: Alan Alda can time travel. How? Because he's awesome.

But seriously, you overlooked Loretta Swit's feathered hair for sneakers?

lyghthouse

[14]Aug 31, 2007
    sienster wrote:

(laughing)

lyghthouse

[15]Aug 31, 2007
    HelloStuart wrote:
    sienster wrote:

Little known fun fact: Alan Alda can time travel. How? Because he's awesome.

But seriously, you overlooked Loretta Swit's feathered hair for sneakers?

touche. :-)

LAYODI

[16]Jan 25, 2008
    It's not a mud fight they were having, they were playing tug of war and Margaret fell in the mud then Hawkeye fell on top of her and said "Loretta are you okay".

neurononsense

[17]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 5

There are a lot of goofs in the MASH series. Maybe this is because of all the different writers. I don't know. A couple more examples are Colonel Potter's son/daughter (some episodes he has a daughter, others he has a son) and where he lives. (usually they say he is from Missouri, but there is one episode in which he mentions being "back in Nebraska barbequing.")

I think when it comes to important matters, the show was incredibly accurate. I have never been in a war, but the stories I hear from a friend of mine who is a veteran of the Iraq war make me realize just how true to life are the problems and even the humor in this series.

sienster

[18]Feb 22, 2008
    Is it possible for him to have both a son and daughter? I mean, does he say he only has one child? Also, can't he be from Missouri (born) and have lived in NE at some point? Just playing devil's advocate...

neurononsense

[19]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 5

sienster wrote:
    Is it possible for him to have both a son and daughter? I mean, does he say he only has one child? Also, can't he be from Missouri (born) and have lived in NE at some point? Just playing devil's advocate...

It's possible, but there are enough other similar goofs (like spouse's names and such) that I think they are just mistakes caused by the different writers.

Thanks for playing devil's advocate though. I like a challenge

trfan

[20]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 11
    In the episode "Dreams":

In Charles's dream, Klinger is wearing earrings at the beginning of the performance. In the DVD (not syndication) version, he goes around collecting items from everybody, then puts the earrings in at the end. In the next shot of Klinger, he's wearing the earrings again. Then when the patient starts to die, Klinger has no earrings.

Yes, you can chalk it all up to being a dream, but it's still strange.