TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

M*A*S*H Forums

CBS (ended 1983)

The Worst Episode EVER by Mash? (Top 5?)

macadamwest

[1]Apr 20, 2007
    • level: 3

What are yours?

So far from what I've seen:

1) The Rosies bar one- where the 4077th become bartenders. Horrible episode!

2) The one where Hawkeye gets a bottle of wine from Klinger and tries to get a nurse. WTH?

3) The one where Klinger breaks his nose and Charles has to be nice to him.

4) When Margarets dad shows up.

So far that's it on my list....

but the way Season 9 is going I have a feeling it's going to get a lot worse!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

s1bbald

[2]Apr 23, 2007
    • level: 22
    macadamwest wrote:
    The Rosies bar one- where the 4077th become bartenders. Horrible episode!
    Agreed.

ct02809sb

[3]Apr 23, 2007
    • level: 5
    I thought a weak episode was where Hawkeye tried to get the soldier home early to see his mother before she was deported.  It had the same general structure of many other episodes where Hawkeye takes his case to all levels (i.e. getting the incubator, finding a home for the mixed American/Korean girl).  But the issue just didn't seem to merit the urgency Hawkeye was giving it.

Angelwomyn

[4]Apr 23, 2007
    • level: 65
    "Death Takes A Holiday" and "That's Show Biz." Mike Farrell is not my favorite writer and I found these two to be kind of sappy, even for me and I'm a romantic.

ladybritcomfan

[5]Apr 24, 2007
    • level: 36
    Angelwomyn wrote:
    "Death Takes A Holiday" and "That's Show Biz." Mike Farrell is not my favorite writer and I found these two to be kind of sappy, even for me and I'm a romantic.

I have to agree with That's Showbiz. Not one I care for either.

HelloStuart

[6]Apr 24, 2007
    • level: 63
    I'm not sure if I can whittle down to just five, but there were a lot of episodes from Years 10 and 11 that I found highly disposable, including that super-sappy 800-pound gorilla you know and love as "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen."

ladybritcomfan

[7]Apr 26, 2007

HelloStuart wrote:
    I'm not sure if I can whittle down to just five, but there were a lot of episodes from Years 10 and 11 that I found highly disposable, including that super-sappy 800-pound gorilla you know and love as "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen."
    Oh I like that episode. It was good. Sad, but good.

Edited on 04/19/2009 4:44pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ladybritcomfan

[8]Apr 26, 2007
    In addition to what I mentioned in an ealier post, I didn't like "Foreign Affairs" either.

celebeve

[9]Apr 28, 2007

For me, with the exception of maybe two episodes, the cast seemed to walk through the eleventh season. Until the tenth season I really enjoyed it.

Edited on 04/28/2007 4:47pm

ct02809sb

[10]May 3, 2007
    I didn't care for "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen".  I was one of the 10 zillion people that watched it when it broke ratings records in 1983.  I thought it was too depressing and serious, considering the show had been a comedy.

HelloStuart

[11]May 5, 2007
    ct02809sb wrote:
    I didn't care for "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen".  I was one of the 10 zillion people that watched it when it broke ratings records in 1983.  I thought it was too depressing and serious, considering the show had been a comedy.

Thank you. It's good to know that someone else here also believes GF&A was the most overrated TV event ever. As much as the later years were about 85% drama, 15% comedy, the final episode was a dreary, overlong snooze.

macadamwest

[12]May 6, 2007
    OK, well I bought it- so long farewell and amen on DVD and watched it. 2 hours later or maybe it was 3 I was baffled.
    It was...hmmm.
    Not the best- I mean it made me cry when hawkeye started going crazy about the chicken and it being a kid- but then....
    other than that- it started off VERY slow.
    And then it got worse. Probably the musicians (sp?) when it all finally hit Charles when he saw the flute player dead was the most profound of the entire show.
    Maybe it's because you never expect Charles to actually care about anything.
    But I dunno, it really isn't one of those that would make me rush out and see it again. KWIM?

BRD78

[13]May 8, 2007
    • level: 9
    I don't know the name of the episode, but when Hawkeye's jeep crashes and he spends all episode long with a Korean family talking and talking so he wouldn't go unconscious. The entire episode takes place in that hut. That was the worst episode ever. It's the only Mash episode that I cannot watch.

HelloStuart

[14]May 9, 2007
    BRD78 wrote:
    I don't know the name of the episode, but when Hawkeye's jeep crashes and he spends all episode long with a Korean family talking and talking so he wouldn't go unconscious. The entire episode takes place in that hut. That was the worst episode ever. It's the only Mash episode that I cannot watch.

Ah yes- "Hawkeye" from Season 4. At worst, a noble experiment.

ct02809sb

[15]May 9, 2007

HelloStuart wrote:
    ct02809sb wrote:
    Thank you. It's good to know that someone else here also believes GF&A was the most overrated TV event ever. As much as the later years were about 85% drama, 15% comedy, the final episode was a dreary, overlong snooze.

A small criticism I had about "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" at the time was that I thought they should have done something to remember the characters that had left, since it was the last episode.  But I now realize that they kind of did that in "As Time Goes By", which was the final episode to be filmed.  I don't think they mentioned Trapper, but they did mention Radar, Frank and Henry.

Still, I thought "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" could have used more comedy.

Final episodes are tricky.  I hated "Roseanne's".  The "Newhart" one was classic, but at the same time, kind of wrecked the whole series. 

Pennyroyalty

[16]May 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    I have no idea how anyone could consider GF&A a worst episode, personally, I tought it was a perfect ending for the show. It's long, yes, but there's so many moments that make it special. As for the "Hawkeye" episode, that was essentially a 24 minute soliloquy, since Hawk was the only english-speaking character in the entire episode, wether or not you liked it, that's hard to pull off. Anyways... I love almost every episode, some more than others, but there are a few that I just don't like. Such as Edwina, Major Fred C. Dobbs, and a few others I've forgotten about at the moment.

ladybritcomfan

[17]May 11, 2007

Pennyroyalty wrote:
    I have no idea how anyone could consider GF&A a worst episode, personally, I tought it was a perfect ending for the show. It's long, yes, but there's so many moments that make it special. As for the "Hawkeye" episode, that was essentially a 24 minute soliloquy, since Hawk was the only english-speaking character in the entire episode, wether or not you liked it, that's hard to pull off. Anyways... I love almost every episode, some more than others, but there are a few that I just don't like. Such as Edwina, Major Fred C. Dobbs, and a few others I've forgotten about at the moment.
    I don't think it was. In fact, when TV Land aired the week-long marathon for this show, I didn't watch it until the night this episode aired. And I've been watching ever since.

HelloStuart

[18]May 16, 2007
    ct02809sb wrote:

Final episodes are tricky.  I hated "Roseanne's".  The "Newhart" one was classic, but at the same time, kind of wrecked the whole series. 

Final episodes of TV series, especially beloved long-running shows like M*A*S*H, are rarely satisfying. If there are any exceptions to the rule, I'd go with the final episodes of "The Bob Newhart Show" (Dr. Hartley decides to move to Oregon), "Frasier" (Daphne and Niles have their baby; Frasier leaves Seattle), and "The Fugitive" (Dr. Kimble finally nabs the one-armed man).

amandawoodberry

[19]May 17, 2007
    • level: 2

[QUOTE="macadamwest"] Probably the musicians (sp?) when it all finally hit Charles when he saw the flute player dead was the most profound of the entire show. Maybe it's because you never expect Charles to actually care about anything. [QUOTE]

I dont know how how many many episodes you have seen but Charles careing doesnt seem suprising to me a bit... He just doesn't let people see, examples: The episode with the guy that stutters 244. Run For the Money, the episode where the pianis loses use of a hand no. 188. Morale Victory , Not to mention 233. Sons and Bowlers, where hawks father is in the hospital, or the christmas episode with the donated candy, 199 death takes a holiday. Seeing Charles care to me wasnt so suprising... Maybe its just me... Not meaning to criticise. Feel free to retaliate to me on my spelling its probably horrible tonight...

Edited on 05/17/2007 5:23pm

ladybritcomfan

[20]May 18, 2007
    [QUOTE="amandawoodberry"]

[QUOTE="macadamwest"] Probably the musicians (sp?) when it all finally hit Charles when he saw the flute player dead was the most profound of the entire show. Maybe it's because you never expect Charles to actually care about anything.

:

I dont know how how many many episodes you have seen but Charles careing doesnt seem suprising to me a bit... He just doesn't let people see, examples: The episode with the guy that stutters 244. Run For the Money, the episode where the pianis loses use of a hand no. 188. Morale Victory , Not to mention 233. Sons and Bowlers, where hawks father is in the hospital, or the christmas episode with the donated candy, 199 death takes a holiday. Seeing Charles care to me wasnt so suprising... Maybe its just me... Not meaning to criticise. Feel free to retaliate to me on my spelling its probably horrible tonight...

Well, maybe macadamwest is new to watching M*A*S*H, like I am. Well, fairly new to it. But anyway, you see Charles being more of a pompous a$$ than anything. So when he does do a good deed, it's surpising and makes Charles a more interesting and well developed character.