M*A*S*H Forums

CBS (ended 1983)

The Worst Episode EVER by Mash? (Top 5?)

ct02809sb

[21]May 18, 2007
    • level: 5
    HelloStuart wrote:
    ct02809sb wrote:

Final episodes are tricky.  I hated "Roseanne's".  The "Newhart" one was classic, but at the same time, kind of wrecked the whole series. 

Final episodes of TV series, especially beloved long-running shows like M*A*S*H, are rarely satisfying. If there are any exceptions to the rule, I'd go with the final episodes of "The Bob Newhart Show" (Dr. Hartley decides to move to Oregon), "Frasier" (Daphne and Niles have their baby; Frasier leaves Seattle), and "The Fugitive" (Dr. Kimble finally nabs the one-armed man).

I liked the "Frasier" ending.  "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" ending was good too, but probably one of the saddest.  I didn't hate the "Seinfeld" ending as much as everyone else did.  But I remember it was hyped so much ahead that nothing could have lived up to it.  The "Cheers" ending wasn't bad either.

Edited on 05/18/2007 7:11am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

macadamwest

[22]May 18, 2007
    • level: 3
    [QUOTE="ladybritcomfan"][QUOTE="amandawoodberry"]

macadamwest wrote:
    Probably the musicians (sp?) when it all finally hit Charles when he saw the flute player dead was the most profound of the entire show. Maybe it's because you never expect Charles to actually care about anything.
    :

I dont know how how many many episodes you have seen but Charles careing doesnt seem suprising to me a bit... He just doesn't let people see, examples: The episode with the guy that stutters 244. Run For the Money, the episode where the pianis loses use of a hand no. 188. Morale Victory , Not to mention 233. Sons and Bowlers, where hawks father is in the hospital, or the christmas episode with the donated candy, 199 death takes a holiday. Seeing Charles care to me wasnt so suprising... Maybe its just me... Not meaning to criticise. Feel free to retaliate to me on my spelling its probably horrible tonight...

Well, maybe macadamwest is new to watching M*A*S*H, like I am. Well, fairly new to it. But anyway, you see Charles being more of a pompous a$$ than anything. So when he does do a good deed, it's surpising and makes Charles a more interesting and well developed character.

Yes, I am still fairly new to watching mash. I've only seen a few episodes  because I usually work when MASH is on.

MASH1968

[23]May 19, 2007
    • level: 2
    I am looking for an episode of MASH that has a tv playing in the background scene, which is showing an interview of a lady water skier at Cypress Gardens, FL... Her name is mentioned as Charlene Zint, she was my aunt. She was the first women world champion barefoot skier from what I was told by my father. I would love to see the episode and I just don't know which one it is...I never did get to even meet her in real life. My mother and her didnt see eye to eye on many things... I hope you can help out on this one or maybe know someone who can... Thanks so much for your time... Always, Paul Donahue  pdonahuefla@aol.com

s1bbald

[24]May 31, 2007
    • level: 22
    "Hawkeye" was a pretty terrible episode...

penguinlova

[25]Jul 11, 2007
    I don't like the epidsode "Hawkeye" very much but I would have to "Dreams" is my worst M*A*S*H episode because it has very little humor in it.

giospurs

[26]Jul 12, 2007
    Hawkeye was a terrible episode.
    Hawkeye's silly banter is funny when he's bouncing off Trapper/BJ but the script wasn't sufficient for Alda to pull off the soliloquy

PrincessofMASH

[27]Jul 14, 2007
    HEY! 'Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen' was the best episode in MASH history and any MASH fans who say otherwise ought to see a psychiatrist.

PrincessofMASH

[28]Jul 14, 2007
    Oh, Amen to that one.

PrincessofMASH

[29]Jul 14, 2007
    About the episode 'Hawkeye', that was pretty bad.

gpatton

[30]Aug 17, 2007

I can't narrow the list to five *episodes*, but I can narrow it to five *years*....the last five to be exact. However, in the first six, there were many, but the "Hawkeye" episode was at the top.

Personally, I have always felt the show went too long, becoming preachy and trying to make a political point of some kind. As good as the cast was, they started over-acting their parts and being too dramatic. The dialogue was written almost as a contest to see who got the last word in--B.J. or Hawkeye and on occasion Charles.

I would say that the cutoff point is somewhere in mid-season 6.

Shmoosader

[31]Aug 18, 2007

BRD78 wrote:
    I don't know the name of the episode, but when Hawkeye's jeep crashes and he spends all episode long with a Korean family talking and talking so he wouldn't go unconscious. The entire episode takes place in that hut. That was the worst episode ever. It's the only Mash episode that I cannot watch.

I agree. That was terrible! I also found the episode "Inga" in series 7 terrible.

penguinlova

[32]Aug 20, 2007
    I agree.

WyldStallyyn

[33]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 2
    Hard to pick the worst 5, but I tend to agree with gpatton. The show continued pretty well when BJ and Potter replaced Trapper and Col Blake, but it really lost a lot when Frank Burns left at the end of season 5. The Winchester character was a poor replacement for Burns, and the show was never the same again.

ladybritcomfan

[34]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 36
    WyldStallyyn wrote:
    Hard to pick the worst 5, but I tend to agree with gpatton. The show continued pretty well when BJ and Potter replaced Trapper and Col Blake, but it really lost a lot when Frank Burns left at the end of season 5. The Winchester character was a poor replacement for Burns, and the show was never the same again.

I have to disagree with you. Charles was an excellent replacement for Frank. Frank was always whiney and the enemy to pretty much everyone in the camp. The only friend he had was Margaret and even she turned her back on him. Charles could be a friend or an enemy and had a chemistry with Margaret, even though nothing ever happened between them.

sienster

[35]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 8
    ladybritcomfan wrote:
    WyldStallyyn wrote:

I have to disagree with you. Charles was an excellent replacement for Frank. Frank was always whiney and the enemy to pretty much everyone in the camp. The only friend he had was Margaret and even she turned her back on him. Charles could be a friend or an enemy and had a chemistry with Margaret, even though nothing ever happened between them.

I have to disagree with you and agree with the first guy. Frank helped make the show great - when he left, MASH jumped the shark.

lyghthouse

[36]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 8
    sienster wrote:
    ladybritcomfan wrote:
    WyldStallyyn wrote:
    I have to disagree with you and agree with the first guy. Frank helped make the show great - when he left, MASH jumped the shark.
    Hmmm... seems I'm at odds with everyone here... I love the episode "Hawkeye" and "Inga"... and I think the show got better after Charles replaced Frank. I do, however, not like the episode "Dreams". I don't really like the episodes in the first couple ofseasons with that guy (name?) who played the guitar... I thought that was pretty... silly.
    Edited on 08/25/2007 8:34am

penguinlova

[37]Aug 26, 2007
    I believe that the show became 100% better with BJ instead of Trapper. And I believe that the show improved with the replacement of Frank with Charles. Charles is a better person and a better surgeon. He also has a mind of his own, even if he is egotistical.

HelloStuart

[38]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 63
    gpatton wrote:

I would say that the cutoff point is somewhere in mid-season 6.

As a straight comedy series, I'd cut if off at Season 5. As for the show overall, I'd push the limit to midway through Season 8.

headset_pie

[39]Dec 6, 2007
    • level: 1
    BRD78 wrote:
    I don't know the name of the episode, but when Hawkeye's jeep crashes and he spends all episode long with a Korean family talking and talking so he wouldn't go unconscious. The entire episode takes place in that hut. That was the worst episode ever. It's the only Mash episode that I cannot watch.
    i understand why you think that it runs a litle long. but alan alda's performance was some of the best acting he ever did eny way i hate the episode were charles amost gets shot in the head its all he did was become a little detached

ladybritcomfan

[40]Dec 6, 2007
    • level: 36
    headset_pie wrote:
    BRD78 wrote:
    i understand why you think that it runs a litle long. but alan alda's performance was some of the best acting he ever did eny way i hate the episode were charles amost gets shot in the head its all he did was become a little detached
    Are you kidding me? That was one of David Ogdens Stiers' best performances on this show.
    Edited on 12/07/2007 10:43pm