M*A*S*H Forums

CBS (ended 1983)

The Worst Episode EVER by Mash? (Top 5?)

  • Avatar of Etrigan_21

    Etrigan_21

    [41]Dec 8, 2007
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 35
    There's an episode very early in the series where Frank leaves and Trapper & Hawkeye then work to get him BACK by convincing him there's gold at MASH. I never liked that one.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of j7k8

    j7k8

    [42]Dec 10, 2007
    • member since: 12/11/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 3

    the episodes i dislike are

    1. Hawkeye, he does a solo in a hut

    2.hanky panky, BJ kisses another women

    3. the episode after radar leaves

    4. when henry gets killed.( one of the few episodes that i cried)

    5. to be honest I can't think of another episode that i dislike as much as the rest. So i leave my list at 4.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of j7k8

    j7k8

    [43]Dec 10, 2007
    • member since: 12/11/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 3

    I happended to like Goodbye, farewell, amen. I loved what happenend to klinger and it did make me cry. (thats hard to do)

    I did hate what happend to father though. I am really not sure though, did he stay deaf forever or was it temporary?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ladybritcomfan

    ladybritcomfan

    [44]Dec 10, 2007
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 36
    • rank: Young and Restless
    • posts: 763
    j7k8 wrote:

    I happended to like Goodbye, farewell, amen. I loved what happenend to klinger and it did make me cry. (thats hard to do)

    I did hate what happend to father though. I am really not sure though, did he stay deaf forever or was it temporary?

    In AfterM*A*S*H, he became depressed and started drinking alot. They did surgery to restore his hearing and he became chaplain at the hospital where Potter and Klinger worked. I hated what happened to him too. He's one of my favorite characters.
    Edited on 12/31/2007 8:02am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [45]Dec 29, 2007
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,118
    Etrigan_21 wrote:
    There's an episode very early in the series where Frank leaves and Trapper & Hawkeye then work to get him BACK by convincing him there's gold at MASH. I never liked that one.

    Ah, "Major Fred C. Dobbs" from Season 1. Legend has it that the cast protested the script because they thought the premise was too formulaic (at the time, CBS wanted the show to "stop being so daring").
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lyghthouse

    lyghthouse

    [46]Dec 31, 2007
    • member since: 07/13/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,168
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Etrigan_21 wrote:
    There's an episode very early in the series where Frank leaves and Trapper & Hawkeye then work to get him BACK by convincing him there's gold at MASH. I never liked that one.

    Ah, "Major Fred C. Dobbs" from Season 1. Legend has it that the cast protested the script because they thought the premise was too formulaic (at the time, CBS wanted the show to "stop being so daring").


    Interesting
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vin316

    vin316

    [47]Feb 19, 2008
    • member since: 01/18/06
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 3
    1) the episode where Hawkeye tries to get a nurse with Klinger's wine. Lord I hate this liberal crap. While Hawkeye WAS wrong for propositioning nurses during work he NEVER ONCE disrespected them for the work they did. NEVER. The character's respect for the nurses was made clear EVERY SEASON. The only thing hawkeye went wrong is not going to soeul to get laid, leaving the sanctimonious feminist champion Margaret free to sleep with married Frank and any general who could help her career.I've never been able to watch through this feminist, penis slicing CRAP. 2) EVERY EPISODE that had to do with Margaret's "career" ENOUGH ALL READY!! 3) The one where Margaret's dad visits. Come ON!! WHAT is the difference between seeing guys bleed and open on the field to the operating room? CLASSIC FEMINIST DADDY CRAP!!! 4) The one where BJ gets drunk because he's pissed Radar went home. I never liked this guy. piss and moaner. 5) the one where BJ resorts to huslting everyone else for extra money to send home. this is one episode I sided with Margaret when she said " maybe you've got the most to lose but that's because you got the most!" it even overrode bj's shot over her not having the CLASSIC woman defense over having a kid.For all Margaret's hyposcrisy BJ's whining was worse 6) the one where Margaret cries because the nurses don't like her. excuse me? she always put her career and the patients first. she was ALWAYS rank and file conscious. She was degrading and humiliating. and she's UPSET the nurses don't party with her?? PLEASE!!! 7) the bug out episode where she demands potter let her stay. sorry linda bloodworth, but a ceo's word was LAW. in korea, if the head nurse was ordered to go she WENT.PERIOD. more feminist CRAP. Any episode that showed Margaret's self rightousness, especially with her divorce. FREAKING ENOUGH. the mash writers were quick to overlook margaret's hypocriscy. TY LINDA **** BLOODWORTH and ALAN I HATE MY OWN PENIS ALDA!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ladybritcomfan

    ladybritcomfan

    [48]Feb 19, 2008
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 36
    • rank: Young and Restless
    • posts: 763
    vin316 wrote:
    1) the episode where Hawkeye tries to get a nurse with Klinger's wine. Lord I hate this liberal crap. While Hawkeye WAS wrong for propositioning nurses during work he NEVER ONCE disrespected them for the work they did. NEVER. The character's respect for the nurses was made clear EVERY SEASON. The only thing hawkeye went wrong is not going to soeul to get laid, leaving the sanctimonious feminist champion Margaret free to sleep with married Frank and any general who could help her career.I've never been able to watch through this feminist, penis slicing CRAP. 2) EVERY EPISODE that had to do with Margaret's "career" ENOUGH ALL READY!! 3) The one where Margaret's dad visits. Come ON!! WHAT is the difference between seeing guys bleed and open on the field to the operating room? CLASSIC FEMINIST DADDY CRAP!!! 4) The one where BJ gets drunk because he's pissed Radar went home. I never liked this guy. piss and moaner. 5) the one where BJ resorts to huslting everyone else for extra money to send home. this is one episode I sided with Margaret when she said " maybe you've got the most to lose but that's because you got the most!" it even overrode bj's shot over her not having the CLASSIC woman defense over having a kid.For all Margaret's hyposcrisy BJ's whining was worse 6) the one where Margaret cries because the nurses don't like her. excuse me? she always put her career and the patients first. she was ALWAYS rank and file conscious. She was degrading and humiliating. and she's UPSET the nurses don't party with her?? PLEASE!!! 7) the bug out episode where she demands potter let her stay. sorry linda bloodworth, but a ceo's word was LAW. in korea, if the head nurse was ordered to go she WENT.PERIOD. more feminist CRAP. Any episode that showed Margaret's self rightousness, especially with her divorce. FREAKING ENOUGH. the mash writers were quick to overlook margaret's hypocriscy. TY LINDA **** BLOODWORTH and ALAN I HATE MY OWN PENIS ALDA!!!

    ROFLMAO!!!!!
    I got sick of hearing about how wonderful Donald was too. Turns out he wasn't, was he? She did all that boasting about him for nothing and took time out of our lives that we'll never get back. Thanks alot Margaret and the writers!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sienster

    sienster

    [49]Feb 20, 2008
    • member since: 02/02/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 667
    vin316 wrote:
    1) the episode where Hawkeye tries to get a nurse with Klinger's wine. Lord I hate this liberal crap. While Hawkeye WAS wrong for propositioning nurses during work he NEVER ONCE disrespected them for the work they did. NEVER. The character's respect for the nurses was made clear EVERY SEASON. The only thing hawkeye went wrong is not going to soeul to get laid, leaving the sanctimonious feminist champion Margaret free to sleep with married Frank and any general who could help her career.I've never been able to watch through this feminist, penis slicing CRAP. 2) EVERY EPISODE that had to do with Margaret's "career" ENOUGH ALL READY!! 3) The one where Margaret's dad visits. Come ON!! WHAT is the difference between seeing guys bleed and open on the field to the operating room? CLASSIC FEMINIST DADDY CRAP!!! 4) The one where BJ gets drunk because he's pissed Radar went home. I never liked this guy. piss and moaner. 5) the one where BJ resorts to huslting everyone else for extra money to send home. this is one episode I sided with Margaret when she said " maybe you've got the most to lose but that's because you got the most!" it even overrode bj's shot over her not having the CLASSIC woman defense over having a kid.For all Margaret's hyposcrisy BJ's whining was worse 6) the one where Margaret cries because the nurses don't like her. excuse me? she always put her career and the patients first. she was ALWAYS rank and file conscious. She was degrading and humiliating. and she's UPSET the nurses don't party with her?? PLEASE!!! 7) the bug out episode where she demands potter let her stay. sorry linda bloodworth, but a ceo's word was LAW. in korea, if the head nurse was ordered to go she WENT.PERIOD. more feminist CRAP. Any episode that showed Margaret's self rightousness, especially with her divorce. FREAKING ENOUGH. the mash writers were quick to overlook margaret's hypocriscy. TY LINDA **** BLOODWORTH and ALAN I HATE MY OWN PENIS ALDA!!!


    Wow- are you even a fan of MASH?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of msdebagain

    msdebagain

    [50]Feb 22, 2008
    • member since: 01/01/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 9

    the final show of MASH was not as good as i thought it would be

    the one where Hawkeye was in that hut the entire time and had to keep talking.

    i watched this one today - Where Hawkeye did that LOUD AWFUL sneezing thru the entire episode

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sienster

    sienster

    [51]Feb 22, 2008
    • member since: 02/02/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 667
    msdebagain wrote:

    the final show of MASH was not as good as i thought it would be

    the one where Hawkeye was in that hut the entire time and had to keep talking.

    i watched this one today - Where Hawkeye did that LOUD AWFUL sneezing thru the entire episode



    I hate that one - it's so annoying! My wife was in the other room and was annoyed by it the other day when I was watching it!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Stephen0684

    Stephen0684

    [52]Feb 26, 2008
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 798

    To me though, the worst 5 were:

    5 Lend a Hand

    4 The life You Save

    3 Blood and Guts

    2 Hawkeye

    1 Dreams

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HawkeyeJim

    HawkeyeJim

    [53]Mar 5, 2008
    • member since: 03/05/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 23

    A few of the episodes I do not like are

    Foreign Affairs Episode Number: 238 Season #11 11, 8,1982

    Blood and Guts Episode Number: 226 Season #10 1, 18, 1982

    Ain't Love Grand Episode Number: 168 Season # 7 3, 5, 1979

    Now This is from what I have been watching a lot of the latter seasons on the Hallmark channel. I haven't watched the last episode in a LONG time so I am anxious to see it again. I never liked when they had Charles with any type of love interest his character was just plain awful in these scenes seemed uncomfortable. I really didn't like the character Clayton Kibbee, the wrecked motorcycle & all. I thought is pushed to much anti-War agenda as well.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ElenorGreanLeEf

    ElenorGreanLeEf

    [54]Mar 5, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 41

    The episodes that I liked the least would have to be Showtime and Goodbye, Farewell and Amen. The reason why Showtime is my least favorite episode is because it was very chopped up and had not plot at all. The only good part about this episode was the pranks that Frank pulled on Hawkeye. I don't hate Goodbye, Farewell and Amen I just don't like it for several reasons. This episode was a major disappointment. This show is supposed to be a comedy but there was nothing funny in this episode. I was already upset about it being the last episode but did they have to make me cry through the whole thing? I absolutely hated seeing Hawkeye fall apart like that. This episode was too serious and dramatic, all the drama killed it. I am just grateful it was able to pull it's self out of the gutter with the way BJ said good by to Hawkeye. I also liked how they dealt with Charles.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ladybritcomfan

    ladybritcomfan

    [55]Mar 8, 2008
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 36
    • rank: Young and Restless
    • posts: 763
    HawkeyeJim wrote:

    A few of the episodes I do not like are

    Foreign Affairs Episode Number: 238 Season #11 11, 8,1982

    Blood and Guts Episode Number: 226 Season #10 1, 18, 1982

    Ain't Love Grand Episode Number: 168 Season # 7 3, 5, 1979

    Now This is from what I have been watching a lot of the latter seasons on the Hallmark channel. I haven't watched the last episode in a LONG time so I am anxious to see it again. I never liked when they had Charles with any type of love interest his character was just plain awful in these scenes seemed uncomfortable. I really didn't like the character Clayton Kibbee, the wrecked motorcycle & all. I thought is pushed to much anti-War agenda as well.


    I can't watch those episodes either. Not because he seems uncomfortable, but because I hate seeing him get his heart broken. First, by a hooker who could have cared less about him and then by a woman who had a shady or slutty past (I can't remember). He thought he had found true love, but it was with a woman his family would never accept.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HawkeyeJim

    HawkeyeJim

    [56]Mar 9, 2008
    • member since: 03/05/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 23

    Sorry I have to disagree here about the final show. The last show was not chopped up to me it just had more story lines because it was basically 5 shows in one. I thought they wrapped it up perfectly. M*A*S*H was comedy, but as a fan of the show it did take a more serious approach to the subjects IMO after season 3 and another move in season 8. We have to remember this is about a war and war is not that funny sometimes. Hawkeye had used laughter to get through the hard times of war and finally the laughter was not enough. When the Korean women suffocated her baby it was very painful to watch and nobody is supposed to like that. The scene with Sidney & Hawkeye where he remembers "it was a baby" was painful but probably the most memorable scene of the entire series. Just like Charles who had used music to escape the reality of war and how he used being a "Winchester" not to get to close to anyone. In the end we see Charles is no different than we as his heart breaks for the Chinese when he discovers they were killed. We see Margaret stepping out of her father's shadow and being her own woman deciding her own future. Klinger who worked harder to get discharged than all put together falling in love and staying on in Korea. I didn't like Father Mulcahy going deaf, but it showed his total unslefishness to help others and his strength. I didn't like the scene where they were on the phone wil Hawkeye and I didn't like BJ constantly talking about his kid. The only people who want to hear about other's kids all the times are other parents. The scene where I liked the fact that they had to bug out. You know the fire was real and destroyed most of the set. I thought it was funny & unique they way each person left in a different vehicle. I try to think if I had to write the ending how I would have written it? Could I have written more funny lines ? Would the story has been the same w/out Hawkeye and the bus ride. What would I have had each character doing. I also like the scenes where they used a walking camera and not all shots were from a set in place camera. To me if the final show was all comedy and light hearted it would have not been that memorable.

    This episode was IMO intended to make you feel uncomfortable and realize what these people actually went through. Just like when they showed all of the bloody sponges and instruments actually on the floor. This to me was eye opening. Maybe its a show that needs to be watched several times for you to see it in a different light? Give it another chance. I didn't want to see it end either. I was a teenager at that time and M*A*S*H was an escape from some difficult times and some of the shows taught me some valuable lessons. I had not seen it in 25 years since it originally aired. I don't think it has been on a lot as I think they skip it and it would not be the same in 1/2 hour episodes. Some shows mean more to us depending on the stage in our lives when we watch it. All these years of re-runs and the show really came to a close for me last Friday night. I was sad to see it end as well. Maybe watch it again later and maybe you might not hate it all that much ?

    ElenorGreanLeEf wrote:

    The episodes that I liked the least would have to be Showtime and Goodbye, Farewell and Amen. The reason why Showtime is my least favorite episode is because it was very chopped up and had not plot at all. The only good part about this episode was the pranks that Frank pulled on Hawkeye. I don't hate Goodbye, Farewell and Amen I just don't like it for several reasons. This episode was a major disappointment. This show is supposed to be a comedy but there was nothing funny in this episode. I was already upset about it being the last episode but did they have to make me cry through the whole thing? I absolutely hated seeing Hawkeye fall apart like that. This episode was too serious and dramatic, all the drama killed it. I am just grateful it was able to pull it's self out of the gutter with the way BJ said good by to Hawkeye. I also liked how they dealt with Charles.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ElenorGreanLeEf

    ElenorGreanLeEf

    [58]Mar 30, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 41

    I understand you points but sometimes there is too much drama. This episode went past that point. I like drama, in fact I write fiction with drama in it but I know where the boundaries are. I can understand this episode being dramatic (if it wasn't I would have been disappointed) but there was just too much. It was very uncomfortable to watch. When I watch or read something I like it to be well rounded, this wasn't. I understand that all the characters would leave changed but did they have to break all of them? I think the only who didn't have a horrible things happen to them was Margret and this is sad. There is a lot of unnecessary pain that could have been prevented. There are good things in this episode, but the bad out weighs it by a huge margin. Like I said, I don't completely hate it I just don't like most of it.

    HawkeyeJim wrote:

    Sorry I have to disagree here about the final show. The last show was not chopped up to me it just had more story lines because it was basically 5 shows in one. I thought they wrapped it up perfectly. M*A*S*H was comedy, but as a fan of the show it did take a more serious approach to the subjects IMO after season 3 and another move in season 8. We have to remember this is about a war and war is not that funny sometimes. Hawkeye had used laughter to get through the hard times of war and finally the laughter was not enough. When the Korean women suffocated her baby it was very painful to watch and nobody is supposed to like that. The scene with Sidney & Hawkeye where he remembers "it was a baby" was painful but probably the most memorable scene of the entire series. Just like Charles who had used music to escape the reality of war and how he used being a "Winchester" not to get to close to anyone. In the end we see Charles is no different than we as his heart breaks for the Chinese when he discovers they were killed. We see Margaret stepping out of her father's shadow and being her own woman deciding her own future. Klinger who worked harder to get discharged than all put together falling in love and staying on in Korea. I didn't like Father Mulcahy going deaf, but it showed his total unslefishness to help others and his strength. I didn't like the scene where they were on the phone wil Hawkeye and I didn't like BJ constantly talking about his kid. The only people who want to hear about other's kids all the times are other parents. The scene where I liked the fact that they had to bug out. You know the fire was real and destroyed most of the set. I thought it was funny & unique they way each person left in a different vehicle. I try to think if I had to write the ending how I would have written it? Could I have written more funny lines ? Would the story has been the same w/out Hawkeye and the bus ride. What would I have had each character doing. I also like the scenes where they used a walking camera and not all shots were from a set in place camera. To me if the final show was all comedy and light hearted it would have not been that memorable.

    This episode was IMO intended to make you feel uncomfortable and realize what these people actually went through. Just like when they showed all of the bloody sponges and instruments actually on the floor. This to me was eye opening. Maybe its a show that needs to be watched several times for you to see it in a different light? Give it another chance. I didn't want to see it end either. I was a teenager at that time and M*A*S*H was an escape from some difficult times and some of the shows taught me some valuable lessons. I had not seen it in 25 years since it originally aired. I don't think it has been on a lot as I think they skip it and it would not be the same in 1/2 hour episodes. Some shows mean more to us depending on the stage in our lives when we watch it. All these years of re-runs and the show really came to a close for me last Friday night. I was sad to see it end as well. Maybe watch it again later and maybe you might not hate it all that much ?

    ElenorGreanLeEf wrote:

    The episodes that I liked the least would have to be Showtime and Goodbye, Farewell and Amen. The reason why Showtime is my least favorite episode is because it was very chopped up and had not plot at all. The only good part about this episode was the pranks that Frank pulled on Hawkeye. I don't hate Goodbye, Farewell and Amen I just don't like it for several reasons. This episode was a major disappointment. This show is supposed to be a comedy but there was nothing funny in this episode. I was already upset about it being the last episode but did they have to make me cry through the whole thing? I absolutely hated seeing Hawkeye fall apart like that. This episode was too serious and dramatic, all the drama killed it. I am just grateful it was able to pull it's self out of the gutter with the way BJ said good by to Hawkeye. I also liked how they dealt with Charles.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mulefritters

    mulefritters

    [59]Sep 23, 2008
    • member since: 09/22/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 150

    "Lend a Hand" Season 8 Ep 20, the second episode to feature Robert Alda. For me, this episode is virtually unwatchable anymore. I think at that point Alan Alda was just such a huge star that they let him do whatever he wanted, whether it was a good idea or not. This whole episode makes NO sense to me. The bickering between the two Aldas, the plotline of BJ trying to come up with a surprise party for Hawkeye, and the fact that Borelli is treated like a returning hero when he arrives at MASH this time, despite having left in disgrace in "The Consultant'.

    My runners up in this category would be:

    "Hey Look Me Over" Season 11 Ep 1: This one is just too precious, my teeth hurt after having watched it. For just ONE episode out of eleven years they decide to comment on Hawkeye's superficial treatment of women. Why?

    "That's Showbiz" Season 10 Ep 1: Another show I can't watch anymore. It's just WAY TOO CHEESY. Ugh...Actors (shudder)

    "The Red/White Blues" Season 9 Ep 16: Potter's normally strong character is turned into something resembling a helpless child here that needs to be coddled by the rest of the 4077th...please. At some point in these later seasons doesn't it feel less like a war drama and more like "7 actors go to camp and engage in sophmoric hijinks?"

    Just to clarify 'tho: I'm a huge MASH fan and I've watched the entire DVD collection more times then I am comfortable admitting here, and I do have a lot of time for all things MASH. It's just that getting older, and with the series aging, you really can start to see which episodes were truly great and which ones the creative team just decided to phone in.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mulefritters

    mulefritters

    [60]Sep 27, 2008
    • member since: 09/22/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 150
    For a fifth, I would add "Taking The Fifth" (Season 9, Ep 9 ) (No pun intended). It always amazes me that this wasn't a Bloodworth-Thomason/Kay Place episode. It sure watches like one. OK, I know Hawkeye is a shallow, insincere, womanizer. Does it really 'put it all right' to have one token show where this is addressed? IMHO, just another in a long line of later MASH shows where, in terms of ideas, the writers really seemed tapped out. Tho' I did like the plotline about Klinger aquiring the French wine from the Canadian unit.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.