M*A*S*H Forums

CBS (ended 1983)

The Worst Episode EVER by Mash? (Top 5?)

scoontar

[61]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 1
    I agree with most of the Worst episodes of Mash.

Margaret and Donald Peanut head-To include a character who is never on the show turned me off as a viewer-They should have ended him in one episode.

1. The Party 7th season epi #173-BJ planning a party for only 7 of families of the people at Mash-I guess he didn't care about anybody else that lived at the 4077. Why would you want your families to fly to NY, have a dinner with strangers, then fly back home. The whole idea is absurd, and the "High" BJ gets from his insane idea is Mash at its worst. The direction during the truck rides when everyone is reading their letters. I can't believe this story made it out of the writing room. This was the last episode of season 7 How lame.

2.Mr + Mrs Who Season 8-I liked the woman, Charles "Married", but as someone pointed out earlier-whenever there was a "Charles Love episode" he was shown to be such a weak person, and the stories were weak. Why did the writers want Charles to look so idiotic with Woman? We already knew he was an idiot. Why make him look even worse?

3.War Co Respdonent season 8-A sexy famous female war reporter falls in love with Stud captain BJ? Nuff said. Can't watch, but Maggie is hot.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alpineinc

[62]Apr 19, 2009
    • level: 3
    scoontar wrote:

1. The Party 7th season epi #173-BJ planning a party for only 7 of families of the people at Mash-I guess he didn't care about anybody else that lived at the 4077. Why would you want your families to fly to NY, have a dinner with strangers, then fly back home. The whole idea is absurd, and the "High" BJ gets from his insane idea is Mash at its worst. The direction during the truck rides when everyone is reading their letters. I can't believe this story made it out of the writing room. This was the last episode of season 7 How lame.

I completely agree, surprised that it wasn't brought up in this thread before. After Dreams, one of my least favorite. Painful to watch, especially that direction in that scene, thought I was the only one annoyed by it.

Once most conflicts were removed, and they were all buddies embarking on their latest caper or adventure, the show was on life-support.

PhillipTG84

[63]Feb 10, 2012

I would say that the two worst episodes of M*A*S*H were:

2. "Fallen Idol"

1. War Co-Respondent. Woof. What a stinker of an episode. The cornerstone of the character BJ Hunnicutt is his dedication to his wife and family. Suddenly the episode puts a twist in that he falls in love with this Aggie O'Shea. Why? She's good at sports trivia? Good looking? There is no chemistry and we see no real reason why he'd be in love. It's also painful when he has that near-soliloquy where he caps it off with "because of the DAMN war." Does anyone believe it? Anyone? Aggie was such a transient character in a series that had settled the roster of people that I found it difficult to say "yeah, he could fall in love in 2 days....." You really can't un-do a character for a single episode, calling into question things we've come to learn about him in 4 seasons then simply drop the subject. You could remove that episode from the canon of M*A*S*H episodes and it would be the same. The episode really has no merit in the show at all....

A close second is "fallen idol." That is just an unmitigated piece of crap. I would take any of the final season's episodes over that. A Run for the Money is a far better episode. Yelling at Radar? Radar unable to say: "I know you blame yourself, but don't. I don't blame you."? I mean, c'mon.

snake63

[64]May 6, 2012
    • level: 21

M*A*S*H changed during the later years when it stopped being an anti-war comedy and became too personal and Alan Alda got to much control after Larry Gelbart and Gene Reynolds left.

PaulPelkonen

[65]May 25, 2012

I'm a huge M*A*S*H fan and have seen all the episodes some of them more than once.

Here are (in my humble opinion) the 5 worst.

1) As Time Goes By. This is technically the last episode and was shot AFTER 'Goodbye Farewell & Amen.'

The cast is tired, they don't care and it shows.

2) Father's Day. Margaret suddenly gets a Dad in Season 11 in a piece of bad ret-conning. Didn't they have a

writer's bible?

3) Good-bye Radar. I love Radar but not this over-long over-wrought farewell. Gary Burghoff clearly didn't want to be there.

4) Major Fred C. Dobbs. Trapper and Hawkeye make Frank think he's struck gold. The worst of the early episodes.

5) That Darn Kid. A goat eats the payroll. I think they were out of story ideas.

There are a number of other episodes that could make this list: "U.N. The Night and the Music" (worst episode title, easy) "Henry In Love", "Showtime" from Season One, (a throwaway) and the aforementioned "Captains Outrageous."

ladybritcomfan

[70]Sep 7, 2013
    • level: 36

noman wrote:

Add the "Christmas Epsiode" where ahwkeye dresses as Saint Nick goes under fire......

You mean "Dear Dad"? I like that episode, especially when Father Mulcahy talks Klinger out of using a hand grenade on Frank Burns.

noman

[71]Dec 10, 2014
    • level: 11

NOTE TO MASH 1968

CHARLENE ZINT WAS IN EPISODE "RUMOR AT THE TOP"

snake63

[74]Jan 5, 2015
    • level: 21

The worst episode is when Hawkeye gets a bottle of rare wine to seduce a nurse only to backfire by Margaret. This was an Alan Alda feminist script.

noman

[77]May 24, 2015
    • level: 11

Yeah Hawkeye Plays DON JUan until he finds out the nurse has a prejuidce against Koreans-dear santimouious hawkeye not only breaks up the date but takes the wine as well--usually in the early years Hawkeye is bitterly disapointed taht women dont fall on their knees when they date him! {An unused script had HAwkeye pregnating two nurses at the same time and disclaiming responiblity!} Maybe they should have kept Hawkeye as a drunken lustful slob of a skirt chaser!

What reallly Killed MASH AS a comedy was

1) LArry Linville leaving--he was the real comedy star

2) The show went on past the 4th season "The late Captain Pierce" for 7 boring seasons more

Replacing wise guy Trapper John with BJ

Replacing slob burns with snob Winchester

replacing idiot col Blake with croucthy old county doctor Potter

Not letting Houlihan find happiness at last by flying off to tokyo to get married as her last epsiode

LArry Linville was the real comedic Star of MASH--when he left-it stopped being funny and got serious. Likewise the show went on for too long--in the The Late Capatin Pierce takes place in Dece 1952-and the real war only lasted for 7 months after that! The show whould have just ended in the 4th season with the following Swain Songs--Houlihan flies off to Tokyo to get married; a defferent ending for "Souveniors" has Frank burns under arrest for possession of a Koren National treasure; and as for HAwkeye Pierce "The Late Captain Pierce" He just goes home-pronto; if there was a spin off it would be 20 years after the War when McClean Stevenson comes home after being shipwrecked on a desert island and becomes his normal drunken slob as usual....

nearly every epsiode after 4/4 {with the execption of "The Abduction of Margaret Hooulihan}. epsiode 4/4 "the late Captain Pierce" the only disappapointing part is Hawkeye goes back to MASH after moaning and groaning that he's tired of the WAR and suffering.....actually the real comic of MASH was Larry Linville.....when he left it stopped being funny......then they had the gall to replace a slob {Burns} with a snob {Winchester} ....Drunken Col blake with hard drinker Potter....wise guy Trapper ........with smart alec BJ...... didint even keep connunity Potter arrives Sept 19, 1952...yet he is col in december 1950/January 1951.....Winchester loses April 1951 bet Dogers game.....in real life he would have arrived April 1953.....etc...etc the last 7 seasons gagged to watch...as for Houlihan they should have written her characther out after the two parter where she got married......PS THe Darm Kidd Goat eats payroll...reminds me Andy Griffith epsiode...goat eats dynmaite......

PS to last message Season 2 epsiode 3 date given in Radar Reports is October 17, 1951......yet in Season 9/epsiode 6 Winchester loses a bet in October 3 1951 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_Heard_%27Round_the_World_%28baseball%29 http://www.tv.com/shows/mash/a-war-for-all-seasons-43403/ Although Winchester arrives at MASH in 1953...after Potter came in September 1952!

Got another one to Add: "Give Em Hell Hawkeye" 10/5 HAwkeye writting to President Harry S Truman--a idiotic epsiode-first in a early epsiode when Hawkeye is so exhausted he is practically sleep writing he sends a telegram to Truman {"Dr Pierce and Mr Hyde} 2/5 and also in "The Late captain Pierce" 4/4 Truman was relplaced by President Eisenhower In DECMEBER 1952!!!!

Another early but poor episode:

Add the "Christmas Epsiode" where ahwkeye dresses as Saint Nick goes under fire......

ANother terrible one was "A HOLY MESS" 10/14 Since when did Mulcahy declare a mess tent a santuary...? Also-most annoying charachters==Father Mulcahy {too santimoius} and Nurse Nakamora--{Too loud and self assertative}

How about "Some 38 Parrells" dumping garbage on a Colonel WILL NOT STOP CASULITES COMING IN--and also medivac Heliocopeters are needed all day and all night all week....

Or Souvinors...Straton didnt foce these kids to collect metal--they do it themselves to survive....besides some else either uS or Korean will take over.....besides a hustler like strton can always sell sunglasses, cigerette lighters or booze to supplement his income

The Smell of Music--both BJ and HAwkeye are quite irresponsible not only are they letting themselves be targets of disease by not Bathing they are also putting the patients at risk for infection as well!

The Grim Reaper--Hawkeye getting upset because a officer calculates how many casualties they will be having---Hwakeye would have just accepted that there will always be heavy casualties...and concentrated on how to save as many casualties as he can...

Of the one where Hawkeye is taken POW by a North Korean but hawyeye cant make the korean understand he cant save the man dying comrade....HAwkeye is just let go...?

The Merchant of Korea and Change day trying to make Major Winchester into another Major Burns

The Fed C Dobs isnt too bad...but instead of making it funny with Burns as a greedy dope...just ruined it by making it too much of farce....and ruined it....the one with Houlihan father {Supposedly he is dead or was he in the artillery or the cavalry{?} too over personel and ruined that as well

Also dumb was "Snap Judgment and Snapper Judgement" just painfully redicilious--how can Hawkeye and BJ "stage" a fake OR? There is not guarentess that the thief-who is armed-won try to shoot his way out after being caught red handed? Besides Potter judgement must be pretty dumb if he didnt realize that there is a fake ammo dump right in his camp! For obvious reasons live ammo dump are not kept near field hospitals!

Equally dumb was HAwkeye Get your Gun--Hawkeye who growd up in a small twon where hunting is probalby normal--is scared silly of guns...besides suposes that an US Patral came up where he is firing his gun...they shot back at the gun noise! Ironically in a moonshine movie Alan Alda was a gun shooting hillbilly against corrupt revenoers agents...!

Other such as Cemetering relationships and The Tooth shell set you free...just phoney

"Follies of the Living - Concerns of the Dead" was an espically terrible one-how can an ill Klinger commicate with the spirt of a dead MAN?

How about "What's Up Doc?"

Silly and illogical premise--Lt Mathension who graduated from Yale in 1948 was a member of ROTC--yet its four years later and he is still in ROTC! Despite his protest about not wanting to go into combat--he must have kept up his membership during the past Four Years! Likewise he claims that he is also a Assistant Professor of art History which means he must have graduated Sum Cuma Laude to rise so high after graduation! Yet ROTC is for College students who Want to prepare themselves for a military Career...! Lastly it just a rarce hw would go teach in Ohio --the same place Klinger hopes to escape the army.to....!!!

Frank Burns would have been funnier as a hostage-but couldnt be used since 1) He left the show and 2) There was a epsiode where a disguntled patent {john Ritter} who doesnt want to go back takes a shot a Burns after Burns gets too Gung Ho

Frankly after the 4th season "The LAte Captain Pierce and when Larry Linville left ..the show didnt just drop to Life support...IT WAS PRACTILLY EMBALMED!

Edited on 06/11/2015 12:06pm
    Edited 9 total times.