M*A*S*H

Good-Bye Radar (Part 2)

Aired Unknown Oct 15, 1979 on CBS

• Radar struggles with the thought of leaving.

The indispensable man? For me, there were two brilliant parts to this episode. Firstly, where Radar and Hawkeye argue about Radars decision to stay. Hawkeye's reaction was so true to character, it was breathtaking. Essentially, his love for people, especially Radar, moves him to almost hostility at the thought of anyone, especially a friend, willingly staying in a war-zone. The second, was the teddy bear left behind for Hawkeye. It was a symbol of decency, and though Radar changed over the years, he never lost his decency. It was sad to see Radar go, but I feel his character had given all he could to the show.
  • Go Home Radar.. Go Home

This is diffentaly a very sad episode. Radar is a classic character in every MASH episode and in the movie. Gary actually played Radar in MASH The Movie. He was a part of MASH but once he was gone I was sort of glad. He was really annoying sometimes and I like the way Klinger does his job. Radar really loved a respected everyone in camp, especially Hawkeye. Radar really looked up to Hawkeye, almost like he would look up to an older brother or even possibly a father. I thought the most sad part was when Hawkeye found Radar's teddy on his cot. This was a personal goodbye to Hawkeye since he never really got to tell him all the things he wanted to before he left.
  • In the second part of this two part episode, the doctors and nurses of the 4077th MASH say their goodbyes to Corporal Walter 'Radar' O'Reilly. Klinger continues his baptism by fire as the replacement Company Clerk.

Never in all the television I've watched has one show made me so emotional as M*A*S*H, and this episode was no exception. The subtle changes in Radar's personality only added to the notion that he had finally 'grown up', and was ready to leave the 4077. You get a feel for exactly how much Radar was needed and loved in this episode, by all the main cast. A more heartfelt episode is hard to find, although M*A*S*H had a number of them in its eleven year run. The most memorable scenes in this episode in my opinion are these, Radar and Hawkeye's argument on why Radar should go home, Col. Potter's tearful goodbye to Radar as wounded fill the compound, Hawkeye's bloody salute, and the final scene, where Radar's teddy bear was left on Hawkeye's cot, a final reminder that Radar grew up, and was gone forever.